Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The Good News

I had but a hook, a rough chorus and a notion for a verse. Voila! floyd turned it into a song complete with melody and arrangement.
Thank you mr jane. And thank you Peter for the cool guitar.

Janice: lead vocal, harmony vocal (Nectar 2), vocal arrangement and percussion (cajon)
floyd: harmony vocal (Nectar 2), arrangement and melody
Peter: lead guitar and fills
Bud: engineering, mix, mastering, arrangement & SC photo of Janice

Comments are welcome and your time to listen is appreciated!

Bass: RT 3121 Acoustic, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 085 / Waves Bass Rider & Neutron 2
Bass: RT 2475 Acoustic, HeldSimple Ev 085 / Waves Bass Rider & Neutron 2
Multiple generations were comped for both tracks.

Guitar: RT 3184 Acoustic, Rhythm GrungeSlowQuinn Ev16 060 / Waves CLA Unplugged

Piano: 3102 MIDI Electric, Rhythm AmericanaSlow16thsMike Ev16 060 / Logic Pro X Grand Steinway sound & Waves CLA Unplugged
Multiple generations were comped.

Drums: RD ModernPopBallad16ths^01-a:Quiet hat, Sync-kick, b:Open hat, Sync-kick / Waves CLA Drums
Drums: Intro comped from Nashville EV / Waves CLA Drums
Additional snare, cymbals and kick: created from BiaB RD audio track / Waves CLA Drums

Cajon: Neutron 2 & EMT 140 Plate Reverb sim

Mastering: Logic Pro X EQ > Waves multiband compressor > Ozone Imager > Ozone Maximizer

THE GOOD NEWS
© 2019 Bud Merritt & floyd jane

when you said that it was over... i think i caught a trace of doubt
you left the front door standing open when you walked out
there were no angry words, no ultimatum or curse
so the good news is the bad news could’ve been worse

the good news is you didn't clean out your drawer
your tattered Tom Petty t-shirt’s in the corner on the floor
i don't believe you'd ever leave that coffee mug behind
it's all these little hopeful signs that keep running through my mind

the good news is there's still time i can say the right thing
show some redemption, gain the forgiveness that might bring
you've always been willing to look past my song and dance
to find it in your heart to give me one more chance

SOLO

no final farewell read chapter and verse
the good news is the bad news could’ve been worse
the good news is the bad news could’ve been worse

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G

Damn (sorry PG), that's just good writing....wonderful furniture and a tangible, relatable, real-life stuff!! Great title, great angle!! Great song!!! This is 3 members of the forum all-star team at their best!!
So glad to be the first to comment! GREAT STUFF guys!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Expert
Online Content
Expert
That VOICE. Hats off. You could sing the telephone book and make it sound amazing.

AND: this is certainly no "telephone book" ... in fact, if you'll allow me this, I think it's one of the best songs I've heard on this forum - and there are so, so many good ones, but - for me at least - this is right up there. That hook "when you said that it was over ..." ... wow. What a great, great job. Thank you for posting this up - it's made my evening.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Immediately that voice pulls you in! What an unbelievably awesome ability to have available. One thing that I'm not sure I've mentioned; but I'm guessing others have, is Janice's ability to hit the lower notes and not drop out. I see/hear SO many female singers that go for the lower notes and their voice become non-existent. If the writing is good you may be able to figure out the word that should be there...but isn't. With Janice, as is with the best of singers, it's ALL there! You can't help but love that.

Also on the vocal side of things; but needing mention are the background vocals. Man, I know you are used to working together; but there's something different here for me. It feels a little less verb-y and more defined and tight. Not right or wrong; but I'm really liking it! It emphasis the emotions really well. Nice job on both singing and mix. I'm totally diggin' it!

The lyrics are on another level. From word choice for imagery, to alliteration and rhyme, there is SO much going on but in a way that doesn't sound even remotely forced. Everything fits as it should. It's pretty amazing to hear AND see something so well done that the complexity feels effortless. I will flat out say; I wish I had that level of skill.

The guitar, AGAIN, fits as it should. That may make it sound boring; but far from it. It's exactly what it should be. Not more, not less. I think that's called perfection! To me, it's an extension of what's going on in the vocal and lyric; but emotes the feelings with out the benefit of either. Really, really, really great!

Finally that mix. I could hear everything. That in itself is a task I would never even attempt. That's coming from someone who has attempted many times in school. I have nothing but total admiration for the gift of what is going on in this mix. It's part talent, part craft, 100% impressive. I can't imagine the time you spend on these mixes. They just sound so good to me. Great on monitors; but I really like listening with cans or buds. Wait a minute... Seriously, when listening that was I get a great sense of the space you design for your songs to sit in so well. It's immersive; and I like losing the world momentary to a song mixed like this. Thanks for creating that world for me to experience! It does NOT go unnoticed.

So much for my short replies. I just can't seem to pull that off.

Great job to all involved. The reward is in a fantastic song for you. I feel the best reward was getting to experience your talents as the listener. Thank you for that.

***All comments are from speech to text and not proofed. I'm getting better with being ok with that.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

Damn (sorry PG), that's just good writing....wonderful furniture and a tangible, relatable, real-life stuff!! Great title, great angle!! Great song!!! This is 3 members of the forum all-star team at their best!!

That’s pretty much the way we felt when we received that verse smile Man, does your review ever brighten another record heat drought ridden day! Thank you so much.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janice, Bud, floyd and Peter,

Every way that I listen to this song and read these lyrics, all I can think is that this is...

You've all done a mighty, mighty fine job.

The lyrics are awesome. I love that 'good news/bad news' hook and I love the way the verses work the hook. In addition to this, starting with the chorus is stellar! It's a great chorus and by beginning with it, the listener really gets to make the most of the journey.

From a lyric writing perspective, it's interesting how that instead of the verse leading to and providing background for the chorus, in this instance, the chorus leads to and provides necessary background understanding for verse 1. It's a great effect when it can be pulled off like you have.

The strongest possible way to open a song is to take a running start and jump right on into it without any introduction whatsoever. This is a technique that Elvis Presley (and many other highly successful artists) have used a number of times. In a recent song, floyd also demonstrated how powerful such a start is. It's not used so much these days. That said, though, now we have Janice clearly showing all of us here on the forum just how incredible and attention grabbing an introduction-free song is.

For me, the way this song started was akin to saying "Hang on to your hats, folks, we're off on the ride of your life!!!" So I just sat back and let the music carry me along on a thoroughly enjoyable roller coaster trip.

A while back, I read a quote by Iggy Pop where he said... "Really good music isn't just to be heard, you know. It's almost like a hallucination." If anyone wants to experience what Iggy meant, all they need do is to listen to this song. The combination of -- eidetic lyric imagery, Janice's soaring vocals, excellent background vocals, great guitar work from Peter, a wonderful melody, an inspired arrangement, a mesmerisingly great mix -- make for a musical journey that unfolds as a movie in the listener's mind.... at least it did that for me smile

Just wow! I bet if you sent this to a radio station in Nashville, it would get airplay!

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Loved this tune. Such a lovely vocal Janice and Floyds harmonies were so complimentary to the song. Very cool lyric. Love the clean sound of Peters solo. Some very cool guitar working going on in behind the vocal as well. One of my favorites..

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musician17
That VOICE. Hats off. You could sing the telephone book and make it sound amazing.

AND: this is certainly no "telephone book" ... in fact, if you'll allow me this, I think it's one of the best songs I've heard on this forum - and there are so, so many good ones, but - for me at least - this is right up there. That hook "when you said that it was over ..." ... wow. What a great, great job. Thank you for posting this up - it's made my evening.

Whoa...that is very, very nice of you. If we made your evening I can assure you that you just made ours! Thanks for your support. We much appreciate it.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wonderful, enjoyable, sweet on every level.
It was a pleasure to listen.
The one thing I noted that may need attention is the beginning of the line
"the good news is you didn't clean out your drawer"
The voice comes up in level and pitch across "the good..." then sits perfectly. It may be worth makinga little adjustment to either the level of the vocal or the level of the dominant cymbal or hold the panning to a place where the two elements don't butt heads.
Small beans and not really an issue - just something I heard inside an excellent piece of music.
Congrats to all involved.

Last edited by rayc; 10/03/19 01:44 AM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Totally agree with what others have said so eloquently. Wonderful writing and performance.
Regards,
Leon

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
J&B + Crew.
Excellent input from all! Catchy, easy to follow tune. Clever lyrics! Vocal delivery / harmonies are powerful, yet not pressuring - listens very easy. Arrangement worked out well, FJ +1. No matter which style you do, you never disappoint my ears smile
Bud, great job! Mix shines! Enjoyed it.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Man! Just so good.

Excellent writing Bud and floyd! Lots of great lines,

"the good news is you didn't clean out your drawer
your tattered Tom Petty t-shirt’s in the corner on the floor"

is my favorite. And "the good news is the bad news could’ve been worse", great hook!

Very nice the way it just starts with just Janice and the piano and builds from there.

Wonderful vocal by Janice, as always I just love her tone! And great job on the harmonies too.

Peter sounds great, love his tone and choice of notes. He added just what the song needed, no more and no less.

Killer job on the mix too, Bud, sounded great through both the monitors and the phones.

Loved everything about this, well done to all!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musician17

Well, you certainly put a big smile on Janice’s face! We appreciate every word of your nice review.

J&B

User Showcase
Expert
Online Content
Expert
You're very welcome, Janice & Bud ... it's all true, every word I said, at least in my view - so no need for thanks - it's just my genuine thoughts. I can't wait to hear what you will come up with next.

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Wow - what a tune smile You really did a good job on this one. Perfectly catchy, and your vocals are tremendous on this. The mix on it is top notch also - it sounds lush, and frankly just beautiful.

You should be proud of this one. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

Greg - Thanks for listening...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Immediately that voice pulls you in! What an unbelievably awesome ability to have available. One thing that I'm not sure I've mentioned; but I'm guessing others have, is Janice's ability to hit the lower notes and not drop out. I see/hear SO many female singers that go for the lower notes and their voice become non-existent. If the writing is good you may be able to figure out the word that should be there...but isn't. With Janice, as is with the best of singers, it's ALL there! You can't help but love that.

Also on the vocal side of things; but needing mention are the background vocals. Man, I know you are used to working together; but there's something different here for me. It feels a little less verb-y and more defined and tight. Not right or wrong; but I'm really liking it! It emphasis the emotions really well. Nice job on both singing and mix. I'm totally diggin' it!

The lyrics are on another level. From word choice for imagery, to alliteration and rhyme, there is SO much going on but in a way that doesn't sound even remotely forced. Everything fits as it should. It's pretty amazing to hear AND see something so well done that the complexity feels effortless. I will flat out say; I wish I had that level of skill.

The guitar, AGAIN, fits as it should. That may make it sound boring; but far from it. It's exactly what it should be. Not more, not less. I think that's called perfection! To me, it's an extension of what's going on in the vocal and lyric; but emotes the feelings with out the benefit of either. Really, really, really great!

Finally that mix. I could hear everything. That in itself is a task I would never even attempt. That's coming from someone who has attempted many times in school. I have nothing but total admiration for the gift of what is going on in this mix. It's part talent, part craft, 100% impressive. I can't imagine the time you spend on these mixes. They just sound so good to me. Great on monitors; but I really like listening with cans or buds. Wait a minute... Seriously, when listening that was I get a great sense of the space you design for your songs to sit in so well. It's immersive; and I like losing the world momentary to a song mixed like this. Thanks for creating that world for me to experience! It does NOT go unnoticed.

So much for my short replies. I just can't seem to pull that off.

Great job to all involved. The reward is in a fantastic song for you. I feel the best reward was getting to experience your talents as the listener. Thank you for that.

***All comments are from speech to text and not proofed. I'm getting better with being ok with that.

I'm lucky in many ways with Janice smile I've never used pitch correction, she typically nails it on one take and I don't use a vocal "rider" product. During our many bluegrass years she sang in the stratosphere as required by the genre. But I always felt she was a natural contralto and BiaB let us explore that territory. All meaning thanks for mentioning her low notes!

Regarding the harmony she and floyd have blended well since their first project six years ago. To a certain degree that either happens or it doesn't. Perfect harmony and phrasing does not always equal a great sound.

Thanks for mentioning the lyric. By and large it was an idea I had brought to fruition by floyd.

Peter has a knack for working with the vocal and other elements of a tune and it definitely shows here.

I hugely appreciate you mentioning the mix. They are always a struggle with my old ears and this one was no exception. The number of RT's I auditioned was, well, a large number smile And Neutron and my Waves CLA suite got a workout for sure.

All the above ramble means is thanks for the thoughtful, insightful and nice review!!!

Bud

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
That intro piano and Janice.. awesome.. and the rest pure pro stuff, the lyrics are absolutely minted.

I love Janice's voice when its lead singing plus doing her own backing vox on a song like this its WIN !! WIN !!.

The sound as commented on previously is absolutely stunning on my system well done Bud ( Bud also my wee bichon dogs name) need to get some tips from you on the mixing and producing side of things.

Peter on the guitar was enviously excellent, a great sound from the guitar is always a challenge to record let alone play .

Again this is to me as good as it can get, and Janice's vocals.. The range in her voice !! .. one word astounding.

Thanks

Last edited by beatmaster; 10/04/19 09:32 AM.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Janice, Bud, floyd and Peter,

Every way that I listen to this song and read these lyrics, all I can think is that this is...

You've all done a mighty, mighty fine job.

The lyrics are awesome. I love that 'good news/bad news' hook and I love the way the verses work the hook. In addition to this, starting with the chorus is stellar! It's a great chorus and by beginning with it, the listener really gets to make the most of the journey.

From a lyric writing perspective, it's interesting how that instead of the verse leading to and providing background for the chorus, in this instance, the chorus leads to and provides necessary background understanding for verse 1. It's a great effect when it can be pulled off like you have.

The strongest possible way to open a song is to take a running start and jump right on into it without any introduction whatsoever. This is a technique that Elvis Presley (and many other highly successful artists) have used a number of times. In a recent song, floyd also demonstrated how powerful such a start is. It's not used so much these days. That said, though, now we have Janice clearly showing all of us here on the forum just how incredible and attention grabbing an introduction-free song is.

For me, the way this song started was akin to saying "Hang on to your hats, folks, we're off on the ride of your life!!!" So I just sat back and let the music carry me along on a thoroughly enjoyable roller coaster trip.

A while back, I read a quote by Iggy Pop where he said... "Really good music isn't just to be heard, you know. It's almost like a hallucination." If anyone wants to experience what Iggy meant, all they need do is to listen to this song. The combination of -- eidetic lyric imagery, Janice's soaring vocals, excellent background vocals, great guitar work from Peter, a wonderful melody, an inspired arrangement, a mesmerisingly great mix -- make for a musical journey that unfolds as a movie in the listener's mind.... at least it did that for me smile

Just wow! I bet if you sent this to a radio station in Nashville, it would get airplay!

All the best,
Noel

It’s humbling to know that somebody would take this much time and thought for our song. Thank you. BTW that intro free idea was 100% floyd! I’ve liked chorus first songs for many years. When they work they can as you described be very effective. And, of course Janice was most appreciative of your remarks about her vocal.

Thanks!!

J&B

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
It's always fun to listen when a song is done right. The PGMusic Forum is manifesting into its own version of Nashville. Any more, stop on any song in User Forum and it gets harder and harder to imagine these pieces of art are being churned out in bedrooms, kitchens and garages by supposed 'amateurs'. It's like being at the Bluebird and getting blown away by some artist who deserves to be heard on every radio station play and sing the best song you've ever heard, finish his set and go to work washing dishes in some diner instead of boarding a half million dollar bus away on the tour date.

There's nothing amateur about this song. Great write, arrangement, production and performance. We are lucky to have you gifted artists share your talents and stories with us.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,494
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195