Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
M
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
M
It says in the dialog box: "BB will output chords in root position...."

Is it possible to create a midi file with chords in root position? If so, where do I find it that file?

What I need is a 'midi chord track' for use in my DAW.

Thanks

Last edited by megamads; 09/30/19 01:34 AM.

BIAB since 2010

Catalina (10.15.7) iMac (27", late 2013), 32 GB.

BIAB 2022, installed on internal HD; Logic proX; EZdrummer; Spark; Synfire; Suggester .

Musicians Institute (GIT) 1991;
Conservatory of Southern Denmark 2000.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: megamads
It says in the dialog box: "BB will output chords in root position...."

Is it possible to create a midi file with chords in root position? If so, where do I find it that file?

What I need is a 'midi chord track' for use in my DAW.

Thanks

Yes, that "midi chord track" is great for driving VSTs which are looking for the chords to set their playback.

You start here by placing a checkbox in the "output chords" options.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (91.71 KB, 173 downloads)

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

M
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
M
But where do I find the midi file...?

BIAB since 2010

BIAB 2022, installed on internal HD; Logic proX; EZdrummer; Spark; Synfire; Suggester .

Veteran
Veteran
Ya, I knew that would be the next question. Let me get a picture for you...

Disclaimer... I have not done this in a while, but in the past did this a lot. So it does work, but I recall it can be tricky at times. Look close at the options in the menu. See picture below. Let us know how it works for you...

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (40.22 KB, 168 downloads)
Last edited by MusicStudent; 09/30/19 04:14 AM.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

M
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
M
I can't wait..... :-)

BIAB since 2010

M
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
M
The midi file is surely exported but I get no file with chords in root position...???

BIAB since 2010

M
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
M
When I go to pianos in the mixer the chords are shown in root position under "soloist" during playback.

Now I just need to make a midi file out of the notes being showed....

BIAB since 2010

Veteran
Veteran
Remember my disclaimer... this can be tricky. Here are first four bars in triad root position... BIAB writes all the tracks to midi. You have to open in an editor and selected the "BIAB Chords" single track. Than delete all the others.

Capture.JPG (100.02 KB, 159 downloads)

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent

Yes, that "midi chord track" is great for driving VSTs which are looking for the chords to set their playback.

You start here by placing a checkbox in the "output chords" options.

Change the 40 to 0 to write the midi exactly to the count

M
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
M
I did what you said and the tracks came out separately. The 'strings' track seems to have chords but not in root position as they are played during playback.

The BB Chord Output has got some weird notes in it.....?

BIAB since 2010

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I did what you said and the tracks came out separately. The 'strings' track seems to have chords but not in root position as they are played during playback.

The BB Chord Output has got some weird notes in it.....?

Yes, you want the "BB Chord Output", glad you see that.

Weird notes? Ya got to love BIAB. So, you are close. Adjust all options in chord output and in midi export to simplify the track. Assuming this works (remember you are on the MAC and I am on a PC) you should get it with a little more effort.

M
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
M
Sorry Dan

I cannot make it work.

BIAB since 2010

Veteran
Veteran
I would be glad to video the whole process, but first we might need a Mac guy to weigh in. Is this a new feature to the Mac or has it been around for a while?

M
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
M
I really don't know.....

BIAB since 2010

Veteran
Veteran
While we wait to see what is wrong with your Output-Chords.

Here is a old work around (so many of these in biab). Put this style on your chord chart. This will create a midi track with just a piano. These chords may be triads from the root. But will be a simple non embellished single chord midi track which you can drag and drop from BIAB to your DAW. It may be what you can use.

PNOSIMP4.STY. Simple Solo Piano 4/4 Style
All MIDI. Duo. Tempo=120 (60-180)
Instruments: M-Ac.Piano
Memo: This style will emulate simple Solo Piano playing in 4/4 tempo. Tempo range 50-200 -Examples: Wedding March, and most tunes in 4/4, Genre "Intensity" Score=30/100

M
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
M
This is great, but do I have to use the "Simple Solo Piano 4/4 Style"? Can't I use that 'piano' in another style or...???

BIAB since 2010

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: megamads
This is great, but do I have to use the "Simple Solo Piano 4/4 Style"? Can't I use that 'piano' in another style or...???

Well in theory, yes, you can just insert the single piano track from the PNOSIMP4.STY Simple Solo Piano 4/4 Style into your current style and then you will have a piano playing just the chord (presumably root position) with no embellishment.

But that is currently a problem under discussion over here:

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=555896#Post555896

I didn't what to jump from one feature which is not working to another which is not working. I don't know your background with BIAB and did not want to discourage you. crazy But go ahead and give it a try. Someone will come along and determine if the Output chords is working or not in the Mac version.

Veteran
Veteran
This is a very important feature in my workflow. I use it frequently to isolate a single simple midi track of the BIAB chord sheet with no embellishment to drive a number of Kontack VSTs. Using it now with the new session guitarists picked acoustic. Works well in the PC version of BIAB (although a bit tricky).

Which is why I am surprised this has not been resolved and is getting so little attention here in Mac Land. We have not seen one users other than the OP who is weighing in on if this works or not.

Megamads, if you are still troubled I can make a video of each button pushed on my PC version to generate the simple midi track in my DAW this weekend. It will be the PC version, but you may see something which could help. Just let me know.

Dan

M
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
M
Hi Dan

The problem is not resolved yet.

I would love to see a video of what you do on your PC.

Thanks

Mads

BIAB since 2010

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi,

Setting 'Output chords to external device' to true seems to be working OK for playback, but you're right it doesn't seem to write the chords properly a MIDI file. We probably need to revisit this, as it hasn't been updated for a long time. Either way I think there is a better way to do what you want, just by having a style play the simple root position chords.

Here are two styles, CHORDS4.sty (4/4) and CHORDS3.sty (3/4). Unzip this file and put the styles in your Styles folder.
https://nn.pgmusic.com/pgfiles/support/misc/chords.sty.zip

After you do that, rebuild the StylePicker (Slow rebuild so that it picks up these styles which are not in the PG database yet)

There are two approaches you could take.

(1) When you want a MIDI file with the chords, simply load in the style chords4.sty (or chords3.sty if you're song is in 3/4), generate, and save as a MIDI file. The way I suggest that you save as a MIDI file is by dragging the Piano track to the "MID" quadrant of the Drop panel:

Then drag from there to Finder (desktop or wherever).

(2) Or you could add the Piano track of the style (where the chords are played) as a custom MIDI track to your current song, although that's more complicated. Let's say you wanted to insert it into the Soloist track:

1. Right-click on the Soloist track and 'Select Custom MIDI style'
2. Click [Choose style with this instrument] (any patch)
3. Type 'chords4' in the StylePicker filter to find it quickly and OK.
4. Set "From Track" to Piano, Press OK.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,487
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195