Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Ok, time to make a complete and utter fool of myself here - because I'm actually singing on this track ... please bear with me - I thought I'd give it a go.

As you'll be able to hear, I can't sing (I can hold pitch from time to time and that's about it). But maybe some of the amazing, amazing singers on here can give me some advice on improving my singing? It's frustrating, because I feel that I phrase reasonably well, but something's not working (tone??? timbre???) ... fix that (if it's fixable) and who knows? Help, please :-)

Anyway, here's the song I've butchered ... Amazing Grace, no less. All feedback VERY welcome.

https://audiomack.com/song/jamesdelsono/amazing-grace

EDIT: here's the video version, too ... the sound quality's worse than the Audiomack link above, but you get images with the video version ...

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Amazing Grace - 7 October 2019
File:Amazing Grace - 7 October 2019 B.SGU
Key=Db , Tempo 55, Length (m:s)=3:09
No intro. 18 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 18. Repeat x3 choruses
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is 9-8_SLOW.STY (9/8 Slow-Tempo Arpeggio)
Style MIDI Instruments are : Acoustic String Bass (33), Electric Piano (5), Acoustic Guitar (26), Orchestral Strings (47),
MIDI Drums :1 Standard Drum Kit (1)

RealDrums will be substituted :Pop98^3-a:Brushes , b:Sidestick, Ride

Last edited by musician17; 10/07/19 08:04 AM.
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
This is really nice!! Your voice has a nice tone, and your sense of pitch is excellent! I've always loved this song! Nice rendition! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Wow. If someone like you, Greg, likes it ... well, then perhaps I dare hope the future is not as dark as I thought for my voice :-) Seriously, thanks - you've just made my day :-)

User Showcase
B
Expert
Expert
B
Originally Posted By: musician17
Ok, time to make a complete and utter fool of myself here

Dear 'musician17'...

There are people who pursue a career in singing professionally by investing a massive amount of time in practicing, and by spending a lot of money for lessons and guidance. And then, there are people who want to sing because their is something deep within their souls that they want to express through music.

I have listened to people sing with such a lack of musicality that some members of their audience laughed at them. Then again, I've heard other people sing who also didn't have any training, but who sang with such deep and profound feeling, that they brought tears to their listeners eyes, or brought them to their feet offering roaring applause to the singer.

What I'm saying is, if you sing from your heart, and convey what's in your heart to your audience, then as far as I'm concerned, you've made your mark using honest emotion, and technicalities shouldn't apply.

Also, I think the fact that you produced the hymn only using MIDI instruments lent a purity of sound and a true sense of innocence to the production that enhanced the impact of your vocal track.

You can't miss, really, when you sing an evergreen spiritual song such as Amazing Grace. It's one of the greatest songs of spiritual consolation that ever was written.

I am moved by the simplicity and the earnestness of your peformance.

Most sincerely,

- bluage -

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Wow, thank you so much bluage for, firstly, taking the time to listen and, of course, for being so wonderfully kind as to write such a detailed and supportive comment. You're absolutely spot on - one can't really go wrong with "Amazing Grace". On listening back to it, there are things that even I notice are not quite there (for example, some of the long notes at the end of phrases that I hold, sometimes even over dissonant harmonies, or the crescendi I make on some notes which shouldn't really be there) - but this at least is totally true: I sang from the heart, it's a hymn I absolutely love, so thank you so much for seeing that.

Many of my friends who've heard me try to sing say this about my attempts: "you deliver the song, no matter what". It's that "no matter what" that's been bothering me a little, haha ... I would dearly love to take my singing up a notch somehow, to eliminate as many technical difficulties as possible - if only so as to communicate the music better. But yes - if it IS a matter of choice (which it really shouldn't be!), I'd rather sing musically well than technically spotless, of course. It just feels like this: I already seem to have the musicality, why not work on my weak parts and fix any fixable technicalities?

You are again right, though - so many people out there forget about the music in their search for perfect technique - they sound incredibly polished and incredibly, incredibly bland at best. So, all in all, I'll settle for what I have, for the moment at least ... and will try to shorten those long notes and curb some of those unwarranted crescendi next time! haha. Maybe I'll do more takes (I did this one in one take, and it shows, haha), take my time on it, etc.? or maybe it's just a matter of being more confident in my own abilities when I sing? Who knows. But, in short - to be praised for my musicality in such a wonderful way as you have done is something so truly rewarding for me ... THANK YOU SO MUCH for such marvellous words!

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Practice makes perfect, and this was by no means a 'butcher' of the original tune. I thought it flowed nicely, and no - you don't sound like Freddie Mercury or anything but that's okay. It's a convincing cover, and the more you practice the stronger your singing voice will become smile

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
This is really nice!! Your voice has a nice tone, and your sense of pitch is excellent! I've always loved this song! Nice rendition! Take care. Greg

James - I agree fully with what Greg said. Keep singing.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

Like floyd we agree with Greg's thoughts.

And floyd's comment of "keep singing."

Hey, I didn't even know Janice could sing until after we'd been married 8 years! She would sing a bit "under her breath" along with songs in the car, etc., but a very musical friend heard her very quietly singing harmony to him, encouraged her and soon she was in our band smile
So just do it!

And that song brings back many memories of the old wood framed country churches we both attended as kids. And the congregation would typically sing it a cappella -- so thanks for the memories!

J&B

User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
James,

This is a pretty version of the song . . . your vocal is heartfelt and resonates against the backing track. Nicely balanced as well; the vocal sits well over the music. Feel good about this one . . . it’s nicely done.

My best to you,

Deej

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Deryk: thank you! Never mind Freddie Mercury (that is the stratosphere indeed!), I just wanted to sound good enough to give a reasonable version of the song I'm singing, haha. But yes - practice makes perfect ... so I'm going to keep singing and see what happens!

floyd jane: thanks! I am genuinely humbled that you, and everyone else, is encouraging me to keep singing.

Bud: thank you SO much for such nice words. Your comment about not knowing whether Janice could sing until well after you were married made me genuinely smile. I think that, with me, it's a confidence issue more than anything ... I seem to have convinced myself that I can't sing - and that makes it worse, of course. Solution? as everyone else said: keep practising and keep singing - and get silly notions of "oh, I can't sing" (even before I've sung a note) out of my head, it seems!

Deej56: thanks so much for the kind encouragement - so genuinely appreciated.

Thanks everyone - your words mean a lot. In light of such nice words from everyone, I'm going to stop whining now about not being able to sing, etc., haha ... and just do my best and practice - after all, such a pre-conceived idea can't help my singing and will probably only make it worse, if anything. Thanks everyone for helping to remove it out of my head :-)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello James ...

I concur with what everyone else has previously said. Your voice is much better than you think it is. It's a beautiful song and you sang equally beautiful. In my opinion, you are a better singer than I am. You hold pitch very nicely and your voice has a very nice resonance. I struggle with both of those ... but I don't let it stop me from singing the songs that are within my very limited vocal range.

Your vocal on this song is convincing ... meaning it's obvious you believe in what the lyric is saying and do so in a way catches the listener's ear with a sense of admiration for your performance. I think you met both of those standards.

As far as improvements, I would suggest putting a small amount of reverb on your voice and perhaps back off the lower EQ just a bit. Doing so would take an already nice vocal and put a little more shine in it. It's not so much that your vocal ability needs work; it's more a matter of of the recording elements. Your voice is nice.

Don't hide the talent you have! Keep singing and playing around with the recording elements. This recording was a very nice listen.

Wishing you the best in all ways ...

Alan

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thank you so much Alan! I had a free morning this morning, so gave it one more shot ... re-recorded the track, applied lowering of the EQ at the low end as you advised, tinkered around with it ... and here is the result. It's safe to say that I am, personally, much happier with it now - but, if you (or anyone else, for that matter) have further thoughts on this, PLEASE let me know! THANK YOU!!!!!!

This first version here has reverb on it also (at 5% in Audacity).

https://audiomack.com/song/jamesdelsono/amazing-grace-1

I've also done a reverbless version (but still with EQ changes, as advised). I think it sounds better WITH reverb, but more authentic, as it were, without - I'll have to think about which version I prefer! haha. Again, any and all feedback welcome - and THANK YOU, EVERYONE, for having taken the time to encourage me and help me along. I wouldn't have given it another shot without your kind words.

https://audiomack.com/song/jamesdelsono/amazing-grace-take-4

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Nice arrangement and sound you gain confidence as you go so keep going !! .. and the more you do the better we become that's my wee motto .

Thanks

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
This is a really nice arrangement of this hymn. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Ember
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I will join the chorus of approvals, James. Do you sense a certain enthusiasm on this forum for your music and recordings? It is well deserved. The October 9th remix was well worth the effort. I believe you definitely made a good decision, bringing your singing into the mix. It is an original sound and really, quite moving. Hoping to hear more.
Incidentally, I am envious. I've been struggling with backing tracks for Amazing Grace and a couple of others for a long time. Now, you come along and nail it with Style is 9-8_SLOW.STY (9/8 Slow-Tempo Arpeggio) Envious is not exactly the word. It's more like, "What!?!" Can you do "Just As I Am?

Last edited by edshaw; 10/09/19 03:24 PM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Ember: thank you!

Ed: Wow, thanks! It's wonderful to hear such genuinely positive comments. I want to put down here, on record (haha), that I also really, really enjoy what you yourself do - I've heard you sing many a sacred song that you've posted on here and I personally think that you've made that genre, especially, your own on here. So it's really heartening to see that you like my effort :-)

I must confess that I didn't know "Just As I Am". Just had a listen right now - whoa. I'll have to think about whether I want to do it, simply because it's not an easy song. I want to learn it properly, note by note, etc. - of course - before I even attempt it :-) But ... so long as I get the time to do that and I feel I can actually get my voice around it ... why not? It's a really beautiful song, thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Spoiler: I was thinking about doing "Deep River" or something, also, in light of all these positive comments :-) But, again, it has to be done reasonably well or not at all, so ... we'll see! I've certainly got food for thought and plenty of choice now :-)

Again - thank you so much for such wonderful words ... they do help the confidence! I feel like I'm a baby eagle jumping off a cliff and wondering whether his wings will work as I attempt to actually sing, but ... it's an exciting feeling :-) Take good care!

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
The pleasure is all mine, James. Thank you for turning up that 9-8 Arpeggio. Hope I have that one.
As Beatmaster, Al-David, and others suggest, confidence comes with persistence. I hear a qualitative difference in take 4 compared with the original. Is there still time to alter the link?
Thanks for considerine Just As I Am. That's quite a web site you have going there, BTW.

Last edited by edshaw; 10/10/19 12:16 PM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, James.

As others have already told you - you can sing.

Despite your warning of doom and disaster, I actually enjoyed listening to you sing.

So there. wink

Here are the things that didn't stand out as needing fixing:

1. Pitch. You can hold a pitch! Congratulations, because when someone says "I can't sing", they typically mean they can't hit the pitch, or stay on pitch. This is important.

2. Timing. You've got a nice sense of timing and phrasing. That's usually the other big problem people have, and that doesn't seem to be an issue, either.

All right, on to what I'd suggest most stood out as candidates for correction.

1. You've got a tendency to slip into "speaking" instead of "singing". It's not unpleasant when that happens, and it's a legitimate technique. In fact, it works rather well. But I'd suggest you should "sing" more, and "speak" less.

This probably has more to do with confidence than anything else. Singing tends to be louder, and if you aren't confident that you sound good singing, you tend to back the volume down. Less volume means less breath support, and you're speaking instead of singing.

I suspect that you're probably too close to the microphone. This gives sufficient volume when you're speaking... but also lets you "cheat" by speaking instead of singing.

You might want to move back and put a bit of distance (but not too much) between yourself and the microphone. This will force you to use good breath support and sing. Imagine that there's a line from your lips to the microphone, and project your voice to the microphone.

2. While singing, you'll generally want to connect all your notes together smoothly. There are some spots where instead of doing that, you phrase the notes as separated, stacatto notes. For example, at 0:08, were you sing "amazING", you there's a melisma on "ING", which should be sung legato, but you sing as separated notes.

Aim to sing these notes smoothly, with the same amount of air pressure at the beginning, middle, end, and transition to the next note.

Mostly, keep singing, recording yourself, and listening. laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Ed: I will see if I need to alter the link, but I think I'll leave it like this to avoid confusion for now? Thanks for the website compliment also, haha ... it's all done so that it costs me nothing, so - given that - I'm glad you liked it!

David: Thanks! REALLY appreciate you having took the time to listen and give me such genuinely helpful comments.

It's funny ... I played the arrangement to a totally non-musical friend of mine recently, just to see the reaction from a non-musical perspective - they said EXACTLY what you said, both about the slipping into speaking AND about the staccato melisma - they wondered the very same thing as you ... "can't you sing it joined-up (they meant legato, of course), instead of broken up?" :-)

Your point about the microphone is also spot-on. I hold the mic in my hand when I sing ... maybe I should invest in a small tripod or something, so that it stays still as I sing and I can have a certain distance from it?

THANKS!!!

Last edited by musician17; 10/11/19 02:34 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi James,

DON"T STOP SINGING!

I really liked this. It was definitely worth the while taking a bit of a gamble and adding vocals.

"Amazing Grace" is one of my all-time favourite songs and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to your take on this classic. Your vocal sincerity shone throughout the whole musical journey.

Thank you for brightening my day smile
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,577
Posts734,589
Members38,497
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications, MAJORKEY
38,496 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193