Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Fan-freaking-tastic. Tight phrasing punching inventive lines setting the scene and telling the story, preaching through the characters in the song. Loved the dual vocals at the end...I reckon that's you and Bobby encouraging each other (and us). Chair dancing achieved. Hugely enjoyed.

Thanks for that, Tangmo...

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Top notch song here again Floyd, lyrics, vocals, instruments all so welllllll done!!! Love this tune also, tunes tend to be difficult to come up with at times. Cliff

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Hi Floyd.
I totally agree with Peter's comments. Also loved the hand-claps. Top quality work, as usual.
Regards,
Leon

Leon - always pleased to see you drop in. Thanks...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
floyd, this is a fun upbeat song. The claps at the end were a nice touch and gave the outro some umph. Brent shines throughout and you know just where to place the fills. I’m sure this is second nature for you because you truly are a master of the genre. I have always liked this tempo with the one/five bass propelling it along. Your production skills are always way up there and your songwriting never disappoints. I’ll bet you wake up in the middle of the night with hook ideas and instead of turning over and going back to sleep you probably start to develop them right then and there. I imagine you to be in songwriting mode all day long. You must be because no mortal human could possibly have your amount of highly crafted well thought out songs and go about their normal daily routine without the antenna constantly up. Your talent is a thing to behold and I am in awe of your skill set. You have made a lifelong fan outta me, Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd, I have run out of adjectives to describe how great a song writer, vocalist, and producer you are so all I can say about this is "wow, this is some of the best country that I have heard in a long time".

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Floyd,

Yeah, this is a fun, uptempo, uplifting listen . . . well put together and executed as always. Love how you spin the lyrics from it being about Bobby to being about the singer . . . clever writing. Well done. Good luck with this one.

All the best,

Deej

Deej - thanks for stopping by a listen - and for the nice comments...

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Nice work - really catchy and your vocals work perfectly here. I really thought the lyrics stood out too - they tell a story perfectly, and the dual vocals at the end knock it out of the park.

Great job and thanks for sharing smile

Deryk - Thanks...glad you liked it...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi floyd,

Yet another very engaging and very enjoyable listen from you. I heard this a while back and the song has been rumbling around in my mind ever since... that's a good thing!

The ensemble, well more the size of an orchestra in fact, that you've created for this production really does deliver the goods. Your always-outstanding singing is backed by a fantastic sound and a sterling arrangement.

As I listened today, I found myself wondering about what to write and then the chorus started...

This is a great chorus and serves as an excellent example of how to use rhymes to accelerate lyrics. Before that though, you show us all how to use lyric movement to set-up the acceleration.

I'll try and explain my thinking...

In the opening line of the chorus, you sustain the word "do" - it's an open vowel sound and sustains well. By holding this syllable, though, you (a) change lyric tempo and tell the listener that the chorus has arrived, and (b) you also decelerate the flow of words.

The second line of the chorus is then delivered in syllables that fit on and between a marching left-right-left-right feel. Then, on "Go to her", the rhythmic movement of the words slows even further so that each syllable sits on one full beat. This leads into a fourth phrase that rhymes with the second phrase and whose pace parallels the second phrase. The net result of all this is that the rhyme movement of rhyming lines 2 and 4 is established and sets the tone. That is, by this stage, we hear a XAXA rhyme scheme and a variable lyric pace based on 3-feet and 4-feet poetic meter.

Then comes the surprise...

In lines 5, 6, 7 and 8, there are shorter phrases (2-feet in poet's terms) and the rhymes become a quick alternating CDCD pattern. The feeling of these shorter phrases and consequent closer rhymes is a sense of 'urgency' that parallels the lyrics so very well. The phrase "excellent prosody" just sprang to mind as I'm quoting the below...

Quote:
"your heart keeps racing
"you can't think straight
"time is wasting
"love won't wait"

And then, for me at least, the pièce de résistance was the final chorus line that (a) decelerates, (b) doesn't rhyme and (c) is the hook. By this stage, that line has a ton of lyric spotlights shining brightly on it and these all serve to identify it as the most important line in the song.

What wonderful writing!

Thanks for giving me another fine work to ponder, to process and, hopefully, to be able to imitate at some later point in time.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Wow! This is good. Great write.

Love the vocals.
All of them!

Great arrangement, great feel!

My new favorite of yours!

Steve

Thanks, Steve... that means a lot...

Originally Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G)
Great stuff Floyd.
Clever story line, backed up by original lyrics. It's a nice feelgood song, with a top "band" and a party vibe. It almost feels "live". I reckon if you'd put some applause at the end you would have fooled us all.
Cheers,
Mike

Thanks, Mike. I appreciate that...

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Floyd ...

Just have a few minutes, so no long thoughtful review - an initial gut reaction. Loved everything about this. Nice little story with great b/g trax and a super vocal. The phrasing of the chorus vs the verses accent the difference between the two parts - nicely done!

Alan

Alan - glad to have you stop by when you can...

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
For 10CC it was The Things We Do For Love. For Floyd, the things you do for fun. This was a really fun song and top level across the board. Enjoyed it from start to finish.

Thanks, Charlie!!

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
You're on a roll, Buddy.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Floyd,

very beautiful composition with a very catchy chorus. It seems you can write whatever lyrics you want: I always think they're great!

Do I really have to say anything about your singing? Okay: Awesome as usual. smile

Another great work, sounding marvellous.

Take care,

Stefan

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
As usual, solidly crafted from start to end. Excellent mix - I especially liked how you dropped the instruments out at the end and built up one last time. Handclaps, call and response, and that slinky guitar.

And your vocals are a joy to listen to - not just the obvious skill in phrasing and emoting, but an energy and enthusiasm that shines through when you sing.

And there's only two verses in this song? You pack a lot into a few words, and then blam! into the verse.

One thing that surprised me was the fade - I expected it to repeat the chorus to the fade, but it faded and ended. I can't really recall any songs doing that!

Not really a complaint, more an observation of a personal quirk: ending the chorus with "something about it" is obviously unbalanced. From a technical side, I appreciate what you did. But my lazy inner listener doesn't like that much lumpiness. I guess it's just a touch too sophisticated for me. wink

A real pleasure to listen to.

David - Thanks for another thoughtful review. The many compliments are appreciated!

The fade is "a bit funky", I know... That was laziness on my part. I did not add enough extra at the end to do a proper fade. If I had cut the ending out and faded what was left it would feel too short, too fast...

It is an interesting point that you bring up about the last line of the chorus. I don't find it lumpy (or unbalanced), but that might be becasue I wrote it and have sung it so many times... but the fact that it was a "bump" to your ear, is certainly valid...

Thanks, again, for listening!!

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Loved this song Floyd. That tele was very cool. Awesome country tune. Super vocal and lyric. Cool picture on soundcloud as well..

Thanks, Scott! (the picture is from the video at the end of the "Birth Of A Song" posted at the top of the Showcase...)

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
floyd,

I entirely agree with you.
A "life's lesson" song.
A bar, friends-in-low-places song.
A 90's Country song.
A "feel good" song.

Your vocals and harmonies are shining as usual.
Drums gives this tune a great country feel.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Shigeki Adachi - thanks for having a listen. (It is about time for a new one from you!)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
First love the picture - great shot - kudos to the photographer.

Fun song! Great flow, big sound, big ending. A sonic treat for the 90's era country lovers soul. Yum.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: gruverider
So well put together! I really like the bridge in this song. And the clap refrain too. It elevates the whole listening experience.

Well done!

Thanks, Lawrence....

Originally Posted By: bluage
"This is radio station WOFJ ('World of Floyd Jane'), and we're back after a short commercial break to drop the needle on the ol' turntable as we set to spinnin' Floyd's latest and greatest, Do Something About It..."

Mr. Jane, I wish I'd heard this song about thirty-five years ago as I was trying to work up the nerve to propose to a real nice lady who ultimately became, 'The One That Got Away' -- no, no, that's a BIG ol' lie! Correction: 'The One That I Stupidly Allowed To Slip From My Grasp Because I Was A Spine-less, Nail-Biting, 'Fraid Of His Own Shadow, Chicken-Hearted Dummy With No Sense Of What Was Good For Me', ha, ha !!! laugh laugh laugh

"A "life's lesson" song.
A bar, friends-in-low-places song.
A 90's Country song.
A "feel good" song.
Hopefully you will be chair dancing by the end.
And ready to..."

You could have recorded that monologue as part of the intro, so folks could'a grabbed their chair ahead of time! I swear, when those handclaps started in, I was ready to turn-up the volume and wake my neighbors up.

A whole mess'a a fun, this song was. Thanks for letting us hear it!

LOREN (a.k.a. 'bluage')

LOREN - thanks for a delightful review. What the heck....wake up the neighbors!! smile

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Floyd,

This is a very happy song you made and very well performed!
When reading the comments above I can only agree with them.
And I think it time to do something about it!

Thanks for your inspiration...
Hans

Hans - thanks for stopping by for a listen!!...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: cliftond
Top notch song here again Floyd, lyrics, vocals, instruments all so welllllll done!!! Love this tune also, tunes tend to be difficult to come up with at times. Cliff

Appreciate that, cliff...

Originally Posted By: tommyad
floyd, this is a fun upbeat song. The claps at the end were a nice touch and gave the outro some umph. Brent shines throughout and you know just where to place the fills. I’m sure this is second nature for you because you truly are a master of the genre. I have always liked this tempo with the one/five bass propelling it along. Your production skills are always way up there and your songwriting never disappoints. I’ll bet you wake up in the middle of the night with hook ideas and instead of turning over and going back to sleep you probably start to develop them right then and there. I imagine you to be in songwriting mode all day long. You must be because no mortal human could possibly have your amount of highly crafted well thought out songs and go about their normal daily routine without the antenna constantly up. Your talent is a thing to behold and I am in awe of your skill set. You have made a lifelong fan outta me, Tom

Tom - ...and I "fan ya" right back. You are no slouch in any of those areas yourself. I will admit, I am in "songwriting mode" much of the time. It's my "happy place". If I am not writing, my life is a little less that it could be. So, for the time being... I'll just keep at it... (and hopefully you will as well!!)

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Floyd, I have run out of adjectives to describe how great a song writer, vocalist, and producer you are so all I can say about this is "wow, this is some of the best country that I have heard in a long time".

I appreciate that Mario...

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi floyd,

Yet another very engaging and very enjoyable listen from you. I heard this a while back and the song has been rumbling around in my mind ever since... that's a good thing!

The ensemble, well more the size of an orchestra in fact, that you've created for this production really does deliver the goods. Your always-outstanding singing is backed by a fantastic sound and a sterling arrangement.

As I listened today, I found myself wondering about what to write and then the chorus started...

This is a great chorus and serves as an excellent example of how to use rhymes to accelerate lyrics. Before that though, you show us all how to use lyric movement to set-up the acceleration.

I'll try and explain my thinking...

In the opening line of the chorus, you sustain the word "do" - it's an open vowel sound and sustains well. By holding this syllable, though, you (a) change lyric tempo and tell the listener that the chorus has arrived, and (b) you also decelerate the flow of words.

The second line of the chorus is then delivered in syllables that fit on and between a marching left-right-left-right feel. Then, on "Go to her", the rhythmic movement of the words slows even further so that each syllable sits on one full beat. This leads into a fourth phrase that rhymes with the second phrase and whose pace parallels the second phrase. The net result of all this is that the rhyme movement of rhyming lines 2 and 4 is established and sets the tone. That is, by this stage, we hear a XAXA rhyme scheme and a variable lyric pace based on 3-feet and 4-feet poetic meter.

Then comes the surprise...

In lines 5, 6, 7 and 8, there are shorter phrases (2-feet in poet's terms) and the rhymes become a quick alternating CDCD pattern. The feeling of these shorter phrases and consequent closer rhymes is a sense of 'urgency' that parallels the lyrics so very well. The phrase "excellent prosody" just sprang to mind as I'm quoting the below...

Quote:
"your hear keeps racing
"you can't think straight
"time is wasting
"love won't wait"

And then, for me at least, the pièce de résistance was the final chorus line that (a) decelerates, (b) doesn't rhyme and (c) is the hook. By this stage, that line has a ton of lyric spotlights shining brightly on it and these all serve to identify it as the most important line in the song.

What wonderful writing!

Thanks for giving me another fine work to ponder, to process and, hopefully, to be able to imitate at some later point in time.

All the best,
Noel

Noel - I know I've told you before, but "I truly enjoy reading your reviews" bears repeating...
I talk about the "cadence" of a lyric - and how important that is - often. You have broken that down with a fine description of how that occurs....which, again, demonstartes just how important that is.... so Thank You! for that (and for the very fine review...)

Originally Posted By: edshaw
You're on a roll, Buddy.

Thanks, Ed...

Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Floyd,

very beautiful composition with a very catchy chorus. It seems you can write whatever lyrics you want: I always think they're great!

Do I really have to say anything about your singing? Okay: Awesome as usual. smile

Another great work, sounding marvellous.

Take care,

Stefan

Stefan - thanks for the nice comments...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Sundance
First love the picture - great shot - kudos to the photographer.

Fun song! Great flow, big sound, big ending. A sonic treat for the 90's era country lovers soul. Yum.

Josie - thanks for stopping in for a listen...the picture is a capture from an iPhone video that my wife did - so I'll let her know you liked it smile

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
What a fun song. Again, a lesson on all aspects of song writing/producing - lyrics, arrangement, balance, phrasing, instrumentation, vocal, harmonies, mixing, everything. Enjoyed the listen.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,
You keep cranking out good songs. Bobby reminds me a bit of myself when I was a young man. I really enjoyed listening to this song! Thanks.

User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
A great upbeat country song...
Well thought & well produced...
I really enjoyed listening!

Jim
†=☮&♥
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199