You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#558432 - 10/09/19 11:37 AM [User Showcase] Pro Crastinator
Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Steve Young Offline
Expert

This is actually the first song I wrote with Band In A Box, about 8 years ago. I decided it was due an update. So I completely redid it. The original was so dated, it had a reference to a Palm Pilot! smile So I re-wrote the lyrics, completely redid the instrumentation and vocals, and added some talk-over at the end. This is just a fun, tongue in cheek song. I hope you enjoy it!

Pro Crastinator - Lyric Video

Pro Crastinator - SoundCloud Version

I played the organ parts. All the rest is RealTracks/RealDrums...

RealTracks in song: ~684:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesSync Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1726:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm HonkyTonkJohn Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1850:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopShiningGrittyMuted Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 845:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryRockPopping Ev 120 (A:sync)
RealTracks in song: 2635:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryBluesRockHigh Ev 110
RealTracks in song: 2689:Guitar, Electric, Soloist RockBrentSimple Ev 120 (Simple)
RealDrums [in Song:RockHardKick^01-a:Closed Hat, Snare, b:Open Hat, Snare

And here are the lyrics...

Pro Crastinator
©Stephen W. Young

I'm a pro crastinator
There’s nothing amateur about my nature
Some people think I’m lazy, but they don’t understand
That I’m just working on a well-made plan
I’m a pro

I spend my afternoons learning how to Google
To find a job, with good benefits too
They ought to make me the boss, to avoid the loss
From all the things that I refuse to do

Chorus

I’ve been to training sessions and seminars
I’ve got six day planners in the trunk of my car
I’ve got gizmos and gadgets, an iPad or two
Reminding me of what I won't do

Chorus

Solo

Now my family and friends are convinced
That I’m complacent, but I don’t care
Who knows, I might even work up the drive
To finish the words of this…

Mmmm, maybe tomorrow…

Chorus...

#558433 - 10/09/19 12:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: Pro Crastinator [Re: Steve Young]
beatmaster Offline
Expert

Loved this it was an easy feel ,humorous, Talented song.

Well produced and mixed.

Your vocals do this proud ... and your right Steve you are a pro....operator !.

A bit like Dr Hook to me.

Thanks

#558435 - 10/09/19 12:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: Pro Crastinator [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: United Kingdom
musician17 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: United Kingdom
Yes!!! Brilliant!!! Love it. Danced like crazy in my seat from the very first note ... and when I could hear that piano, I was almost on the ceiling dancing :-)

I can (as more of us than would like to admit it, no doubt!) REALLY relate to the lyrics - and the final talked-over section, particularly the telephone conversation, had me laughing with tears in my eyes.

Technically also, spotlessly done - you may be a pro crastinator, but here it doesn't show in the slightest ... a truly PRO job!!!

Bravo, bravo, bravo - hats off to you, sir.

#558489 - 10/09/19 11:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: Pro Crastinator [Re: Steve Young]
Tangmo Offline
Journeyman

Shades of Ray Stevens. Funny lyric and the "shout outs" were priceless. That's some high-level putting it off. I look at it this way...if I wait till tomorrow, I'll be able to tackle it with a day's more seniority. I think the band may have been a bit subdued in the mix, but this one is all about the "message", and that's one I can definitely get behind (and stay behind). Much enjoyed.
BIAB 2019 Audiophile. Windows 10. Former user of old version. Prefer creating while learning over learning before creating. Passable, intermediate level acoustic rhythm guitar player. Songwriter, lyricist, composer loving all styles.

#558493 - 10/10/19 12:04 AM [User Showcase] Re: Pro Crastinator [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Washington State
bluage Offline
Expert

Loc: Washington State
Mr. Young...

Well, sir, you sure don't Pro-crastinate on the productions you post to the User's Forum smile.

Your lyrics for the song are so clever and inspired that I'm waiting for a sequel! The dial tone at the end of your abruptly terminated phone call to George Strait's receptionist triggered a a giggle, a laugh, and then a guffaw that had been building up steam from the first verse.

The number of Real Tracks you employed qualifies as an orchestra! The mix is an experience in smooth sailin' sound engineering. At a social event, the song would prompt the patrons to get on their feet and do some fine 'n fancy line dancing!

'A' side, or 'B' side, this one's a grand slam laugh !!!

Thoroughly entertained and tickled,

- bluage -

#558497 - 10/10/19 01:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: Pro Crastinator [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Steve

Loved it, funny clever and catchy.

Loved the lyric jokes at the end and the overall performance was excellent.

Really top notch fun.

Peter

#558504 - 10/10/19 02:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: Pro Crastinator [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Well, that was fun!

Love the shout outs to floyd and Noel!

Really well done, enjoyed!

Blue Attitude Website

#558507 - 10/10/19 04:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: Pro Crastinator [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Fun song. As others noted, clever and catchy. I enjoyed my listen.

#558513 - 10/10/19 04:51 AM [User Showcase] Re: Pro Crastinator [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Expert

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
Excellent stuff.
Amusing and well structured.
Terrific arrangement and mix too.
My obligatory bit - there are a few chs and esses that cold be tamed but no one else has commented so it's probably just me.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#558524 - 10/10/19 06:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: Pro Crastinator [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Steve !

Haven´t heard anything better
from you so far though I may
have missed something due to
my long stays away from the computer !

I just simply love this Steve,
that is all I can say !:))

Cheers
Dani

#558535 - 10/10/19 07:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: Pro Crastinator [Re: Steve Young]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Nice work! I like how easy going and catchy it is, and boy is it ever oh-so-relatable. Makes for an engaging listen, and I found the mixing job to be top notch too.

Thanks for sharing smile

#558547 - 10/10/19 07:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: Pro Crastinator [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
"I’ve got gizmos and gadgets, an iPad or two
Reminding me of what I won't do"

HA! Love that. A clever, funny write (without getting "silly"). The ending is LaughOutLoud funny!! (my first cameo!! HA!)

Love the BAND and the overall sound. A sound (and song style) that was huge in 90's Nashville. Well captured.

The mix is "smooth" (of course). Sounds GREAT really loud and well balanced when played soft - always a good test of a mix. Well done.

Terrific.

fj

#558605 - 10/10/19 12:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: Pro Crastinator [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
A refreshing update. Great delivery, fun lyrics, perfect backings.

Really good throughout and finished off with a really funny ending...

BIAB&RB2019(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#558636 - 10/10/19 03:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: Pro Crastinator [Re: VideoTrack]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maryland
Great lyrics, had me chair laughing, very clever!!

#558670 - 10/10/19 06:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: Pro Crastinator [Re: Steve Young]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Expert

Steve,
Nice! Super positive & lighthearted tune. Feels you put a lot of effort in this one. Clever lyrics and very artistic production. Fun!

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

#558682 - 10/10/19 09:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: Pro Crastinator [Re: Steve Young]
Deej56 Offline
Journeyman

Steve,

Very fun, very catch tune . . . some clever turns on the lyrics. And really well put together from a production standpoint. Love the shoutouts to Floyd and Noel at the end . . . a nice inside reference for us BIABers. Vey cool. Enjoyed this!

My best to you.

Deej

#558685 - 10/10/19 09:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: Pro Crastinator [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
floyd jane took my adjective - smooth. Smooth vocals, smooth mix. Clever rewrite.

Nice ending! You get the same "on hold" tone that I do! wink

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#558769 - 10/11/19 09:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: Pro Crastinator [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Really clever, cute song Steve!!! So well written.......love the "finish the words to this......."........classic!!! Really had me laughing!!! Take care. Greg

#558847 - 10/11/19 06:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: Pro Crastinator [Re: Tangmo]
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Loved this it was an easy feel ,humorous, Talented song.

Well produced and mixed.

Your vocals do this proud ... and your right Steve you are a pro....operator !.

A bit like Dr Hook to me.

Thanks

Sorry it took so long to get around to thanking you for your kind words, Beatmaster, but you know...

Originally Posted By: musician17
Yes!!! Brilliant!!! Love it. Danced like crazy in my seat from the very first note ... and when I could hear that piano, I was almost on the ceiling dancing :-)

I can (as more of us than would like to admit it, no doubt!) REALLY relate to the lyrics - and the final talked-over section, particularly the telephone conversation, had me laughing with tears in my eyes.

Technically also, spotlessly done - you may be a pro crastinator, but here it doesn't show in the slightest ... a truly PRO job!!!

Bravo, bravo, bravo - hats off to you, sir.

Thanks so much! Keep dancing! I had a lot of fun with this one.

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Shades of Ray Stevens. Funny lyric and the "shout outs" were priceless. That's some high-level putting it off. I look at it this way...if I wait till tomorrow, I'll be able to tackle it with a day's more seniority. I think the band may have been a bit subdued in the mix, but this one is all about the "message", and that's one I can definitely get behind (and stay behind). Much enjoyed.

Thanks, Tangmo! Appreciate your comments!

===

Steve

#558865 - 10/11/19 11:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: Pro Crastinator [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Aichi, Japan
animarorecords Offline
Expert

Loc: Aichi, Japan
Steve,

I think you are a very versatile person, some time making ballads and some time making such humor songs.
Your vocals are perfect.
Nice ending as David says.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows was released in December 2018, and included many new features and enhancements - like the enhancements we made to our Notation window!

These include:
-Pressing the space bar plays the song from the current location.
-Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location.
-The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
-Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on it.
-In the Notation Windows Options dialog, the clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
-The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
-You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.
-A new track type (Drums) is available for the Melody and Soloist tracks.
-Holding down the Ctrl key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
-There's a keystroke entry mode -the "N" mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
-A new button in the Print Options dialog lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the Chord Sheet.
-You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When the dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current notation track.

There's detailed information on our 2019 notation enhancements here: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 New Feature - Notation Enhancements

Jump to the Notation topic in our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 new features video.

Band-in-a-Box® Drum Features!

Today is National Drummer Day!
(not to be confused with National Hug a Drummer Day, which is October 10th)

Band-in-a-Box® is a great resource for drummers! Practice with an on-demand back-up band, learn from the Pro's with RealDrums notation (RealCharts, new with version 2019), MIDI drums notation, or play in the Drum Kit Window!

Not a drummer? Add drums to your Band-in-a-Box® project with RealDrums! Whether you're looking for Bluegrass, Blues, Bossa, Country, Dance, Dixieland, Folk, Funk, HipHop, Jazz, Latin, Metal, Pop, RnB, Rock, Soul, Techno, Traditional, Waltz, or World (and variations within) - you'll definitely find what you're looking for in our RealDrums library - there are over 500 available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Build 315 Update Available!

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac users - a new FREE patch update (build 315) is available!
Review details and download here

Summary of changes for build 315 (Nov 15, 2019):

Fixed: Exporting MusicXML files was not working.
Fixed: When using "Auto-Hand split Piano track" feature, exported MIDI files contain wrong note durations on the Piano track.
Fixed: Note-based lyrics were not included when exporting MIDI files.
Fixed: User should be prompted to save their song when exiting, if they had added or removed plugins.
Fixed: The Record Audio dialog always says “Track type is Stereo” even if the track type is mono.
Fixed: The [Audio Options…] button in the Record Audio dialog was launching the Audio Devices dialog instead of the Audio Settings dialog.
Fixed: Loops dialog title bar displays wrong track name.
Fixed: Large patch map files are not completely loaded (were limited to 1985 patches).
Fixed: Notation context menu > Edit Section Text… did not do anything.
Fixed: Notation context menu > Insert Section Text… did not do anything.

My Favorite Things - Nudge Chords in Band-in-a-Box®

Love this time saving feature.

Ever fill in the chordsheet fully or for part of song, and then discover you want to add or take away an extra beat or more somewhere in the chordsheet.

Nudge chords (melody) from the Edit Menu is your friend here, the dialog will give you all the options either to remove or add beats where its needed.

Love it.
-musiclover

To learn more about this feature, read the "Advanced Chord Entry and Editing Features" topic when you click here.

Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonial & Demo - Rodney Gene Junior

Band-in-a-Box® endorsing artist Rodney Gene Junior has shared his latest User Testimonial and Demo with us, and we LOVE it! Not only does Rodney share with the viewer his enthusiasm for our program, he also shares a few examples of how he uses Band-in-a-Box® too - make sure you check it out!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Testimonial Video - Peter Torpey

Check out our latest Band-in-a-Box video testimonial, which takes using the program to a whole new level! Peter Torpey is a long time program user who has developed a way to work with the program, even though he's visually impaired - and he wants to make sure that others can too!
Click here to watch!

Learn more about Peter here.

View all our video testimonials here.

Want to make your own Testimonial? We'd love to see it! There's information on our Video Testimonials offer here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Upgrade & Full Manuals Available!
Forum Stats
30432 Members
62 Forums
60698 Topics
513650 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
JulesPitou, Aleksssl, ThomasJazz, YamahaTyros1, BReed

30432 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 201
Noel96 169