Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
My 2002 ThinkPad is finally dying frown

The CMOS battery died. I replaced it and it still doesn't remember time and date.

I can boot it up, it gives me the error code, I press F10, enter date and time and it finishes booting.

I remember a post a looooong time ago about buying refurbished computers at NewEgg.com and someone mentioned a brand to choose and/or a brand to avoid.

Searching for NewEgg didn't do me any good because there are too many posts with that mentioned, and I haven't found the magic combination of search terms.

All it needs to do is sit on stage, display WordPad and Encore documents and if necessary play mp3 files. In other words, I don't need much of a computer.

So does anyone know what vendor(s) to get and/or what to vendor(s) avoid at NewEgg?

I definitely want ThinkPad, their reliability is awesome and on stage that "Eraser Head" (Track Point) works better for me than the glide thingy.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=50010418%2050001302&d=refurbished%20laptops&Order=PRICE

Thanks
Notes
Thanks.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Veteran
Veteran
I have no experience with NewEgg but I do have a lot of experience with TigerDirect's refurbished computers as I have order a number of them, both laptops and desktops, for friends and family. Only once was there a problem and TigerDirect immediately replaced it. I would not hesitate to order one for myself from them.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
If all you're talking about is displaying docs I would use that tablet you just bought with one of the Android gig management apps. You can import docs by taking a pic of them with the tablets camera or save them as pdf's. Biab does that with charts. Other docs can be saved as pdf using a pdf print driver.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
Bought my refurnished Dell laptop there 3 years ago. It's still running strong. I've always been on the Dell bandwagon though. smile

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks.

Mario: TigerDirect is a good company and I've done business when them in the past, but they don't have any used ThinkPads on their site now.

Bob: I tried the tablet thing once and having the keyboard separate from the screen allows me to call up the next chart in about 2 seconds near the end of the song I'm playing so I can go from song to song seamlessly. Besides if my other computer breaks, it has to play the mp3 files and again, I go from song to song seamlessly when the dance floor is full

Steve: Thanks for the vote of confidence

I'm using it now. I turn on, it takes a much longer than usual time to get past the IBM/Think/Pad screen, then goes to the DOS-like configuration page. Enter date and time and the computer finishes booting up.

I did replace the CMOS battery, which is the usual culprit when this happens, with no luck, so something else might be wrong.

I put this ThinkPad on the stage in 2002. It's worked tirelessly, week after week, bouncing on a keyboard stand, riding in the hot van and then either playing on a quay over a salt water lagoon or an overly air-conditioned venue.

17 years of service is good for a computer. I actually feel bad about retiring it. It's like an old friend.

I had another 2002 computer that I replaced in the early Win7 days. The hinge started giving me trouble after a drop. Replacing the hinge on a computer that had been out of production for that many years was more expensive that buying a new one. So I got another ThinkPad, this one Lenovo as IBM quit making them, and it's still cranking.

So I think I'll go back to NewEgg tomorrow and see what I can find. I like the small screen of the older laptops and the pink eraser head in the middle of the keyboard is a must.

Thanks again.
Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Well I pulled the plug on an old Win7 ThinkPad from one of NewEgg's Premium Sellers. It has a year parts and labor, free return if defective, and if I just don't like it I can return it for a 15% restocking fee.

It's supposedly in "A" condition which is only sight wear, and we'll see.

For $160 I figured it's worth the chance.

All it has to do is display Wordpad files, play MP3s and be able to handle an old edition of Encore which has worked on every computer I've had from Win98 to Win10.

It'll never go on the Internet, and any apps not essential to running the required functions will be removed.

My 2002 still works, it just doesn't keep time and needs a reset while booting, so I'll keep this as my spare.

I'll try to keep the thread alive so it doesn't get too buried, so I can report on what I find when it arrives, hoping the info I share can be helpful to others.

Insights and incites by Notes

Veteran
Veteran
Can't beat that price. Hopefully it's a little newer than what you're replacing.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The one I'm replacing is so old it was made by IMB before even thinking about Lenovo.

I put it in service on stage in 2002. It still works, but I have to enter the date and time every time to get it to boot. I replaced the CMOS battery and it's still doing the same thing. So anything with something wrong is risky on stage.

If the newer one is broken, they say they'll take it back.

I like the narrow aspect ration better than the newer computers with the new ones that you can watch cinemascope movies on.

Notes

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The new/old computer is arriving Tuesday, so I'll give a report when I get it set up.

I also have plumbers coming Tuesday to finish a job they started and needed parts for, so it might take a day or two to properly check it out.

Notes

PS: The plumber job is quite interesting. I have an old home with a cast iron pipe buried underground to a septic tank. Roots have been getting in for years.

One plumber said he would have to tear up the concrete floors to fix the pipe but I found a company who makes a thin epoxy pipe lining inside the existing pipe. Seamless and guaranteed not to leak or get roots in for the rest of my life.

Expensive but not nearly as costly as tearing up the floors.

They did have the job, needed a custom sized sleeve to saturate with the epoxy for the run between the kitchen and the main line, and it just arrived.

We now have what we call, "Fearless flushing!"

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The refurbushed ThinkPad T500 arrived Tuesday.

It's spotless, the screen is bright and clear with no dead pixels, there is almost zero signs of wear, and it works like new.

It had a new version of Win7 on it, which I could setup without going on-line, and the only app I needed to install, Encore, went in just fine.

I had some off-brand AntiVirus software on it (Bulldog) that kept on asking me to choose the 90 day free trial every time it booted, but since I never plan on going on-line on a stage computer, I removed it. The only other boat-ware was Word Perfect Office.

It has a full year parts/labor warranty which I hope not to use, and it only cost me about $156.99 - shipping included.

It's been working a couple of days now, and yesterday it was on for about 8 hours continuously, so I suspect there won't be burn-in problems.

So if looking for a used computer, based on one experience, NewEgg gets a thumbs up.

The only nit I have is that it came with a black eraser head instead of a read one (no big deal), but it's a comfortable one.

Insights and incites by Notes

Veteran
Veteran
Notes,

Go to any store (DollarTree is a good one) and buy the brightest looking fingernail polish you can find. A drop or two should remedy your red eraser head blight.

My wife is vision impaired. I use a florescent orange fingernail polish to highlight common buttons on the microwave, cooking range, washing machine and clothes dryer.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Nice to hear the happy ending Bob! Hope it lasts a long time for you.

Steve

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for the tip Jim!

I think I'll buy another to use as a backup for my aging backup.

They don't have any more T500s, but they do have a few T510s. I never bought on the T line before, The R's lasted until Lenovo changed the numbering system.

Does anyone know what the difference between the T500 and T510 is?

Thanks,
Notes

Veteran
Veteran

Steve

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
snip ... I think I'll buy another to use as a backup for my aging backup. Does anyone know what the difference between the T500 and T510 is? Thanks, Notes

A quick glance at the Lenova support web site seem to imply the difference is batteries. One uses a nine cell battery while the other doesn't.

Got to agree with Steve. It looks like you got quite the deal.

Veteran
Veteran
Pack 3 New Original Trackpoint ( Soft Dome ) for Lenovo Thinkpad Laptop,NOT Fit For X1 Carbon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074W3TR48/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_JHCODb0PC0M82

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks y'all,

At the price running around $160, I might buy two more so that (1) both computers on my stand are the same and (2) I'll have a spare.

I always carry a spare - just in case. I bought an el-cheapo Toshiba many years ago (Win8) and it is so sloooooooow that it's practically worthless. Fortunately I've never had to use it. I don't know what to do with it, but if I remember, it only cost about $300 for 10-15 years insurance, so it isn't bad.

I could give it away, but I hate to punish someone with it. wink Perhaps I could use it as external storage.

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Notes, I have an extremely slow Lenovo laptop. This is the computer I take on trips so I can backup my camera photographs. That is its only function.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Bob, maybe you could hook up a TRS cable to your stereo receiver and use Windows Media player to convert it into a jukebox or media center controller.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for the suggestions!

Notes

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,551
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199