User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Hi, all:

Some weeks back Dave Rice and I got to thinking it might be worth working on a second tune together . . . and this is the one we chose, a song Dave had written and recorded some years ago. I really liked Dave's original version, a sweet sounding county ballad . . . so rather than trying to recreate it, I thought I'd try to take this cover in a little different direction. For better or worse, that road led us to this version of the song. We hope you enjoy the listen (and I hope I did Dave's lovely song some degree of justice). Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Here's the song:

JUST A DREAM

Here are the lyrics:

I close my eyes, then they appear,
and I still feel it can’t be true . . .
those peaceful times I hold so dear
return again . . . and I’m with you . . .
I’m with you.

Then night descends and it begins;
the visions fade and I’m afraid
you won’t return, I’ll never learn . . .
It’s just a dream… I’ll never learn….
It’s just a dream.

To my surprise the dreams return.
It’s so surreal; I’m still with you.
Your visions rise and teardrops burn.
The way I feel . . . it can’t be true . . .
It can’t be true.

Then night descends and it begins;
it starts to fade and I’m afraid
It’s just a dream.

And here's the band:

Drums: Rock Thrash Half Time Ev16^9
Bass: Real 1825, Electric, PopModern Groove Held
Guitar: Real 839, Pop Ballad Clean
Guitar: Real 639 Electric, Hard Rock Thrash
Guitar: Real 642 Electric, Hard Rock Thrash Hollow
Guitar (Lead): Real 2690 Slow 16ths Pop (Simple)
Piano: Real 2461, New Age Pretty
Synth: Real 2704 Cloud Rap Low Organ

Words and Music by Dave Rice
Vocals and Arrangement by DJ Lekich

Deej56 #558698 10/10/19 10:50 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
It has the hallmarks of a Roy Orbison drama ballad.
I'd be inclined to slap some classic guitar delay on the solo though.
That effect on the repeat or delay of "It's just a dream" at the end & just before the play out solo starts seems to have driven the demons of essing a little nuts.
I reckon you could add some dynamics to the choruses - a gentle lift of a couple of things to add some more drama or slowly ramp up that organ so that the song builds and builds and builds again.
All just thoughts - as it is it's Cool and well crafted.
Cool

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Deej56 #558700 10/10/19 11:15 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
This was nice loved the lyrics your voice compliments all you have done here, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat comes to mind.

The guitars and the feel of the song gives a dynamic feel to this.

(Ah-Ahh) loved it. L.O.L.

Thanks

Last edited by beatmaster; 10/11/19 12:17 AM.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

Deej56 #558743 10/11/19 04:09 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej,

Terrific job on this. Your skills with BIAB and with your mixes are "shining" these days. Your vocal on this is excellent - it has a nice "roundness" to it and sits well in the mix.

Excellent arrangement. The guitar solos are superb (I like ray's suggestion about a delay). I thought the drums could have been a little louder and "bigger" for the style.

Who knew Dave was such a fine ROCK writer!! A super nice guy. Tell him I said "Hi!" (JPF is so little about music and so very toxic these days I couldn't take it anymore).

Y'all did good on this. Enjoyed.

fj

Deej56 #558745 10/11/19 04:11 AM
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
What a tune! Nicely catchy and really easy on the ears. I liked the instrumentation as well, and your vocals fit with it really well. Thanks for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
Deej56 #558757 10/11/19 05:01 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I want to say extraordinary, but scared you'll think I'm exaggerating. So what ... I genuinely find it so. It took me back to those "peaceful times" in my life also, and I don't think there's a soul alive who wouldn't identify with those lyrics, which you sing with your customary raw sincerity. On the technical side, it's (I will say it) staggering how professionally done this sounds. But, as you may have realised by now, I don't care about technicalities - this is a stunning song, stunning lyrics that say it all in only a few words, stunningly and heartwrenchingly delivered. And that's what matters to me. Hats off to both of you.

Deej56 #558778 10/11/19 06:57 AM
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
This is really lovely!! Such a great production! Such a pleasant listen! Excellent!! Take care. Greg

Deej56 #558839 10/11/19 02:28 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Deej,

This is an excellent listen.

Your vocals are perfect for carrying these lyrics. From start to finish, I was mesmerised by the journey you and Dave carried me on.

I really like the rhyme scheme used for the verses here. You and Dave have been meticulous in maintaining the rhyme and lyrical rhythm and it leads to a wonderful presentation. When I separate the lyrics into the sung phrases, it's easy to see the ABCABCC rhyme's motion.

Quote:
(A) I close my eyes
(B) then they appear,
(C) and I still feel it can’t be true . . .
(A) those peaceful times
(B) I hold so dear
(C) return again and I’m with you . . .
(C) I’m with you.

Personally, I always find it fascinating to try and understand why some song lyrics work so well. These lyrics worked for me and the rhyme scheme is certainly one of the big reasons 'why'.

I really enjoyed this work of yours and Dave's immensely.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Deej56 #558841 10/11/19 02:55 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Love it! For some reason, it sort of reminds me of some of Pink Floyd.

Nicely done!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
Deej56 #558855 10/11/19 04:43 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Really classic slow rock, with an excellent delivery from all aspects.

Everything about this song works so well. The key change is a really cool feature. Thoroughly enjoyed this.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Deej56 #558861 10/11/19 08:08 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej,

Wonderful Song!
I agree with floyd.
Terrific job on this.
Your skills with BIAB and with your mixes are "shining" these days.
Your vocal on this is excellent - it has a nice "roundness" to it and sits well in the mix.
The modulation in the middle is wonderful.
I think it has a great effect on this tune.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Deej56 #558877 10/12/19 01:05 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Classic rock ballad with excellent chording. Noel already mentioned the rhyming scheme in the verses, I also like the way it changes in the chorus. Great solo guitar selection. Piano sounds quite distant and ethereal, maybe that is intentional? Your interpretation of the lyrics is goosebumpingly amazing.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

Deej56 #558913 10/12/19 06:08 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Smooth collaboration! Everything in arrangement works very well to my ears. Vocals are super!
Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

Deej56 #559000 10/12/19 11:29 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Man, what a vocal!

Love the write and I really like the production too, track sounds good!

Really good song, nice collaboration!

Deej56 #559215 10/14/19 06:50 PM
User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
rayc, beatmaster, Floyd, Deryk, James, Greg, Noel, Steve, VideoTrack, Shigeki, Janne, Misha, and BlueAttitude:

Thanks so much for giving this a listen and the great feedback. It’s usually one step forward and two steps back on my efforts . . . so it’s nice to hear this one generally worked out pretty well. Dave is such a terrific guy, and I didn’t want to disappoint.

rayc and Floyd: I’ve posted a modest remix that ups the lead vocal a bit, ups the drums a bit, and adds some delay on the lead guitar. Hoping it’s a slight improvement and I didn’t overdo anything.

Floyd: I sent Dave a link to this thread, so hopefully he pops in for a visit and sees your comment. I let him know you send your regards.

beatmaster: LOL! smile

James: You do wonderful things for my confidence! Thanks so much for the kind words.

Noel: The lyrics and rhyme scheme are all Dave’s. I often tinker with my collaborator’s melodies and lyrics, as Dave knows . . . but not here. It all just worked.

Steve: Great ears! Here’s what I wrote to Dave Rice when I sent him the first draft: “The song isn’t quite as alternative rock as I had thought I would go . . . it’s more a straightforward rock ballad (though there’s a hint of Pink Floyd in there a bit).”

Janne: The piano is pretty much the sound I was shooting for . . . I wanted something dreamy. The early drafts were a bit too much, so I took off some of the reverb and brightened it a bit, still trying to keep that same feel. I had also done a version with a stripped intro playing only that ethereal piano and layering in the guitars later, but Dave and i both agreed it was a bit too sleepy of an intro. Nice set of ears on you as well!

Thanks one and all for the input!

Deej

Deej56 #559268 10/15/19 03:52 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello Deej,

This song cuts through your vains, I should say!
It is beautifully performed and at the end you wanna die, 'cause there is no hope left. Just a dream...
All suffering one can imagine is situated in your voice. And I mean that as a big compliment.
I couldn't add more compliments to what others already told you. It's just a good song!
What I also liked was how the drums enter in the song, Rock Trash half time. Did you put them on halftime yourself, or do I say something stupid now?

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
Deej56 #559332 10/15/19 10:49 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"Then night descends and it begins;
the visions fade and I’m afraid
It’s just a dream."

Strong!

Nice collab with a nice person.

Rock on Dave!

An emotional write and an emotional soulful vocal -- what a good and
somewhat rare combination. Stellar.

Also a nice production featuring a tight band...sounds like those guys
have been at it for a while smile Excellent choice with that lead guitar.
Mix sounds excellent on the monitors.

Well done and worthy of many plays or streams or whatever nowadays!

J&B

PS Hi from us to Dave. Ask him to drop by! smile

Deej56 #559347 10/15/19 12:17 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Excellent song nice effects and a lovely big sound.

I'm listening to the latest mix and it sounds very good in all aspects.

Top notch.

Peter

Deej56 #559348 10/15/19 12:25 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow, this got to me. Despite the title, I found myself hoping it wasn't a dream. Powerful. And great singing as usual.

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
Deej56 #559363 10/15/19 05:45 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Really nice - the lyrics, vocals and effects do a great job capturing the emotional moment and transporting me there.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,577
Posts734,629
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234
38,498 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193