Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
L
lvl Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I want to get into music production (mostly electronic and elements of rock, mostly guitar) and I think I understand what I need for a basic setup. Going into the holiday season I know some cash is coming my way, so it's time to make it happen. I think I have my headphones picked out, gonna go with closed-back just for cost and noise isolation reasons.

The piece I'm most confused about is the audio interface. I have a MacBook Pro, the one with the touchbar and USB‑C ports. I just upgraded to macOS Catalina in case that matters for driver support.

Like I said, I mostly am going to produce in the box (that is what it's called when you use plugins right?) and at most will record some guitar, probably using amp modeling software. So from what I understand that means I need a 1/4" line input? But the impedance matters right? I'm a little confused on that part...

Before you jump all over me, I DID google this!! I came across what I think is a good audio interface guide.

My questions are:

1) Is that actually a good audio interface guide? (linked above) I've used that website before to see what gear people use but never their guides.

2) They say
Quote:
"Beginner & Budget does not mean these are not professional grade. Technology has come so far that a $99 audio interface can be the center of your small studio and make your recordings sound great."
... is that a true statement?

3) If I stick to a budget interface, how quickly would I outgrow it? What's the biggest risk in not saving up for a more high-end one? Is it quality, or is it number of inputs?

4) Is there that much difference in reality between Focusrite, Native Instruments, Audient, and Presonus?

5) What interface do you guys have? And how do you like it, i.e. would you buy it again today?

Thanks!

Veteran
Veteran
There are any number of "best of" equipment guides available. All have the same limitation, how well do they zero in and connect with your expectation of what you want to do both now and in the future. For that reason I do not pay much attention to them and did not click on the link you provided.

Instead I rely on reading reviews, visiting local brick and mortar retail music stores and talking through e-mail with a sales advisor at an online music store like Sweetwater or AMS.

Audio interfaces perform multiple functions: communicate with a computer through a common computer port such as USB2, USB3, Thunderbolt or Firewire. Convert audio into an analog electrical signal. Convert an analog electrical signal to digital data. Convert digital data into an analog electrical signal. Mix and amplify the incoming and outgoing analog electrical signals into a stereo signal suitable for headphones. Optionally provide a pathway for midi data to enter and leave the computer. It is the most complicated device in your studio next to the computer itself.

The most important question is how many microphone or instrument connections do you presently need or anticipate needing in the future? The answer guides the rest of your research.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<<< Is there that much difference in reality between Focusrite, Native Instruments, Audient, and Presonus? >>>

Not in your situation. If you use Presonus Studio One for your DAW, you will have easiest set up and assured compatibility with choosing Presonus hardware. If you have modified your guitar or possibly use your acoustic with a built in pickup, you may find you need an actual DI box to tame the guitar input. Choose at least a 2 input model of whatever brand in so you can have a stereo input if some of your electronic sounds come externally from a keyboard or synthesizer.

Choose a model that has a mic/instrument input and line inputs and most devices now have combo input jacks that accept XLR or 1/4". The type of input (mic, instrument, line) determines the impedance, not the jack. Some of the lower cost units do not have line level input and you can feed a line level, it's just a bit trickier getting the input gain exactly right. Unless you will be using a device sending line levels such as a keyboard, synth, vocal harmonizer or such, your audio interface will only be inputting your guitar and you'll not have any problems.

Choose a device that has at least 48/24 resolution as that is and will be the industry video standard for the foreseeable future. Devices that have 48/24 will also have 44.1/16 and that is the audio standard. Most devices will probably have much greater resolutions than this unless you opt for the absolute bottom line model.

The way you will grow out of your unit is needing more inputs than you have.

I use Presonus interfaces but also have a Zoom interface and have owned several other brands. Presonus has been very reliable and if you don't currently have a DAW, I recommend you purchase Presonus because their devices ship with Studio One DAW's that are wonderful, full featured DAW software that has a large presence of support and tutorials. Their DAW also includes some nice plug ins.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 10/17/19 09:34 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
L
lvl Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
The way you will grow out of your unit is needing more inputs than you have.

I use Presonus interfaces but also have a Zoom interface and have owned several other brands. Presonus has been very reliable and if you don't currently have a DAW, I recommend you purchase Presonus because their devices ship with Studio One DAW's that are wonderful, full featured DAW software that has a large presence of support and tutorials. Their DAW also includes some nice plug ins.

Thank you, that's super helpful. The PreSonus beginner interfaces do look very nice, and the price is right!

Journeyman
Online Content
Journeyman
Charlie Fogle's advice is spot on.

Don't be afraid to save a little buying used gear off of reverb.
I've saved a lot of $$ doing that.
Reverb has pretty good policing on any purchase/sale problems.

Make sure the shipping cost doesn't make the deal less favorable to you.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: lvl
I want to get into music production (mostly electronic and elements of rock, mostly guitar) and I think I understand what I need for a basic setup. Going into the holiday season I know some cash is coming my way, so it's time to make it happen. I think I have my headphones picked out, gonna go with closed-back just for cost and noise isolation reasons.

The piece I'm most confused about is the audio interface. I have a MacBook Pro, the one with the touchbar and USB‑C ports. I just upgraded to macOS Catalina in case that matters for driver support.

Like I said, I mostly am going to produce in the box (that is what it's called when you use plugins right?) and at most will record some guitar, probably using amp modeling software. So from what I understand that means I need a 1/4" line input? But the impedance matters right? I'm a little confused on that part...

Before you jump all over me, I DID google this!! I came across what I think is a good audio interface guide.

My questions are:

1) Is that actually a good audio interface guide? (linked above) I've used that website before to see what gear people use but never their guides.

2) They say
Quote:
"Beginner & Budget does not mean these are not professional grade. Technology has come so far that a $99 audio interface can be the center of your small studio and make your recordings sound great."
... is that a true statement?

3) If I stick to a budget interface, how quickly would I outgrow it? What's the biggest risk in not saving up for a more high-end one? Is it quality, or is it number of inputs?

4) Is there that much difference in reality between Focusrite, Native Instruments, Audient, and Presonus?

5) What interface do you guys have? And how do you like it, i.e. would you buy it again today?

Thanks!

Well, I will answer all your questions in one reply rather than list it because many of the questions actually cross over into each other's answers.

So... I have a Focusrite Saffire interface.

Most of the interfaces will do you a good job but I recommend that you avoid the cheap ones and the ones that do not support native ASIO. So, a cheap interface will sound just as good as the more expensive ones BUT......Cheap ones will work, but can often breakdown sooner than you want or are lacking features that make your job easier. Avoid the gimmicks, like a guitar modeler with a built in interface or the mixer/interfaces. Get a decent interface. Plan ahead. If you think you are only going to record one or two things at a time, a simple stereo 2 input interface will do just fine. I've had a 2 input interface for over 15 years now. A good one will last. Remember that the interface is the heart of your studio. Don't "cheap out" on this important piece of gear.

Look at the number of inputs it has, the number of outputs it has, and be sure it includes the following. Clean audio preamps on the audio inputs, phantom power for condenser mics, a software control panel that lets you set it up, DSP FX is nice but not really critical, and.... be sure it runs the industry standard native ASIO driver. If it can handle the others, that fine, but be sure is runs ASIO. Beyond that, most of the better brands are all worthy components for a quality studio. I spent about $300 on my interface when I bought it, and I had the option to spend more, and the option to spend less. I settled in the middle. No one will ever hear your music and say... oh year, that's the unmistakable sound of a Presonus. Nope.... not going to happen. They all sound the same, with very minor differences in the output circuitry amps to avoid patent infringement problems.

Expandability.... none of the 2 channel models are expandable. So if you think you will be recording more than 2 inputs, look into the larger, expandable interfaces that will let you connect several together for more inputs.

If you have a Sam Ash or a Guitar Center around, go visit their audio dept and check out the interfaces. Find one that fits your needs and budget and get it.

Regarding the impedance.... most of the gear is engineered so you don't have to worry about the impedance. It's correct right out of the box for the designed purpose.

Headphones.... I found that my Focusrite interface had a good quality signal out but it was a bit too low. Hard to hear. So I ended up adding an inexpensive headphone amp that also provided 4 channels at a higher volume. Might want to consider that if you have other folks coming in to record.

Hopefully, this answers your questions.

Keep us posted on what you do.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 10/31/19 09:08 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199