Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Dave, James, Deryk, beatmaster - thanks, y'all...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Not sure how I missed in commenting here. blush

I cheated and read the lyrics first. Great write, and the song didn't disappoint. It's got a bit of that '70s LA rock sound to it, with a touch of Jackson Browne in the melody.

Love Janice in the lower range. Great arrangement - organic build of instruments, everything clean and clear. Love how you pare instrumentation down in the intro and ending. Band sounds excellent - I wondered how you got the guitar to nail the solo, until I saw the guest list. laugh

And Janice also plays cajon? Cool!

Really nice, I listened through multiple times.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
That intro piano and Janice.. awesome.. and the rest pure pro stuff, the lyrics are absolutely minted.

I love Janice's voice when its lead singing plus doing her own backing vox on a song like this its WIN !! WIN !!.

The sound as commented on previously is absolutely stunning on my system well done Bud ( Bud also my wee bichon dogs name) need to get some tips from you on the mixing and producing side of things.

Peter on the guitar was enviously excellent, a great sound from the guitar is always a challenge to record let alone play .

Again this is to me as good as it can get, and Janice's vocals.. The range in her voice !! .. one word astounding.

Thanks

Thank you for ALL of the above. You certainly made Janice smile! And we have to give floyd a shoutout for his harmony part as it very much rounded out that harmony.
Great to hear that the mix sounded good to you. This was one of those sparse track productions that seemed to take an inordinate amount of time to mix.
Appreciate it!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
It's always fun to listen when a song is done right. The PGMusic Forum is manifesting into its own version of Nashville. Any more, stop on any song in User Forum and it gets harder and harder to imagine these pieces of art are being churned out in bedrooms, kitchens and garages by supposed 'amateurs'. It's like being at the Bluebird and getting blown away by some artist who deserves to be heard on every radio station play and sing the best song you've ever heard, finish his set and go to work washing dishes in some diner instead of boarding a half million dollar bus away on the tour date.

There's nothing amateur about this song. Great write, arrangement, production and performance. We are lucky to have you gifted artists share your talents and stories with us.

And we are lucky to have folks like you that take time to listen and offer thoughtful and supportive comments. It means more than you can imagine.

Thank you!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Janice & Bud, floyd and Peter,

Really good music with wonderful vocals.
I agree with musician17.
That VOICE. Hats off. You could sing the telephone book and make it sound amazing.
I remember that such a compliment was sent to Edit Piaf in France.
The singing is outstanding anyway.
The back teamwork that supports it is also really great, of course.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
What a sweet listening experience from the kick in to the last little chord hit. The lyric is tight, appreciatable, and liberally peppered with visual references. In short, it made me smile and remember a time or two. Or three. The icing on that layered cake is the song pic. Something in that stance says, "I just need a moment alone." Janice sounds great! Both leads and harmonies shine. Peter's lead is tasty and tasteful down to the little last licks. Thoroughly enjoyed here.

Hey, thanks for everything and also for mentioning the photo. I thought the road leading into the distance and Janice carrying a cell phone as though waiting for THE call might work. Glad you noticed it!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Janice and Bud,

I was on holidays and wasn't able to login on this forum. But I wrote on your SoundCloudpage that your song was really Good News!
I enjoyed it! Strong lyrics and nice harmonies (as allways in your songs).
But where is the pedal steel grin ?

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Charlie, Tangmo, Ember - thanks y'all...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Steve, TuneMonger, Joanne - thanks, y'all...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
so the good news is the bad news could’ve been worse

that line hooked me.... and I had to finish listening. (and it is the hook in the song... it did it's job)

This is a good one. This is one of my favorites in the more recent songs you've done.

Really nice work. To all the contributors as well.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
Such an awesome collaboration on this one guys. It's going to get stuck in my head. I found it super catchy.

Thanks Ember. Glad it worked for you.

J&B

Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Excellent. Just excellent! Through and through a really good song, well written, arranged and performed! Just as I would expect from you guys. Kudos to all of you!

I even like the surprise reverb slap treatment on Janice's voice on the last line of the song. Nice touch.

Really enjoyed this!

Steve

Thanks Steve. And extra thanks for mentioning that vocal effect! Something I rarely use. Glad you liked it.

J&B

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Dear Janice, dear Bud,

you were so very kind to let me have a sneak pre-listen to that song that really struck me. Please forgive me, if I repeat here what I wrote you after I had heard it for the first time:

"What a terrific song that is - you're just keeping 'em coming !!!! The treat started with that great photo which really represents what I was going to hear a couple of seconds later.

'The good news is the bad news could’ve been worse' - oh boy, waht a hook that is. I don't think I ever heard the topic 'he's gone' being regarded from that side in a song, but isn't that actually exactly that kind of thoughts of hope we all have when being left by our loved one?

A gorgeous song, a great composition, brilliantly arranged by Floyd, very nice playing by Peter, and like always perfectly engineered and produced by Bud.

Did I forget something? Oh no: I am totally unable to imagine that any other artist could sing this song as soulfully and as convincingly as you do, Janice - I don't know if there is a word more intense than 'sublime', but if there is it's exactly what I feel.

Maha loves the song a lot, too, and sendes you her warm regards.

Hats off!!!!"

Well, guys - the only thing I might add is: I love this song even more with every listen !

All the best,

Stefan

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Wow, Wow, Wow, man, what a GREAT SONG!!!!, yeah the tom petty t shirt is over the top writing, the vocal and harmonies so smooth and rich, instrumentation perfect, Just a top of the line song, as good as I have heard in a long time. CLiff

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
B,J,F,P, This is a tremendous collaborative piece of art. That cold open vocal kick off sets the hook and all I could do was hang on for the ride.
“the good news is you didn't clean out your drawer
your tattered Tom Petty t-shirt’s in the corner on the floor
i don't believe you'd ever leave that coffee mug behind
it's all these little hopeful signs that keep running through my mind”
Now that is some seriously good writing right there. Janice’s low register is extremely emotive and has always been one of many things I absolutely love about her voice. Great reading of the song Sis. The build is super and the production and mix is beyond stellar. Peter adds the perfect restraint in the complimentary guitar part. This is among your best works and definitely should be included in your greatest hits collection. If you don’t love this you don’t belong on this site!!! Lol, Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Great hook, great everything, enjoyed it a lot. Not much to be said when it's all so perfect.

Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
Bud, Janice, Peter and Floyd
Wow! This is just lovely. What a great collaboration.

Thanks y’all!!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Exceptionally good professional work, everything just works so well together from vocals to mix. Nice idea to start with the chorus, because the chorus melody is so catchy. Simple lyrical idea implemented with heart and good selection of signs.

Janne

Originally Posted By: gruverider
Great write and performance! Love that hook! Great production too!

Thanks y’all for your time to listen and comment. We appreciate you!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks to all who commented about my small part in this wonderful project.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great production as always and cool hook line. I think the key should've been moved up at least a half or maybe even a whole step higher with all those low notes in the verse melody. Harmony on the chorus was great. NIce collab.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Janice, Bud, Peter & Floyd ...

Now, if that combination of exceptional talent can't write, produce and deliver a hit song, then it just can't be done any way I know of. There is so much talent in those four individuals ... it should almost be illegal (i'm glad it's not!).

Everyone before me has pretty much covered all the bases.We all know, already, the superior vocals by Janice, fabulous fretwork by Peter, vocal/lyric writing/delivery of Floyd ... but I think the contributions of Bud's knob-twisting deserve a little more spotlight at times. He is truly a magician at the control board. This is my analogy: I could have the engine, body parts, transmission and everything else needed to build the nicest luxury car in the history of the automotive industry ... but if I don't have a top-of-the-line mechanic to put it all together, it's just a pile of parts. I see Bud as a musical mechanic. You can throw anything at him, music wise, and he'll find a way to put it together like no one else. Excellent work, Bud!

The voices of Janice and Floyd, particularly when blended, is ear candy sweeter then just about any other I've encountered. My ears are still smiling!

And Peter certainly gives good reason for guitars to exist. He has the perfect touch and tone ... but knows when and where to slice and dice it.

Great stuff, folks.

Oh ... one other thing. I've written a couple of songs that opened with the chorus over the years and nearly got burned at the songwriter's stake for doing so. It's not something that works most of the time, but when it does ... it's the best.

Congrats to all involved. What a team and song! Wishing all of you the very best ...

Alan

Alan, we really are speechless...well nearly smile All we can say is that your time to write this and what you said is very, very meaningful to us. And hard to live up to. Thank you so much!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks to all for listening and for those who mentioned the bits I might have been involved in.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,453
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195