Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
OP Offline
J
The problem with BIAB (I used it extensively about 20 years ago) is its simply become too complex too comprehensive for many (I didn’t say “all”) straight ahead Jazz musicians to bother with. Both here in Denver and back in NYC the dozens and dozens of horn players I know mostly use IReal book for backing tracks. This is a shame because BIAB is powerful enough to create far more Realistic tacks. But to have to sort through everything from Celtic Cello styles to Chicken Picken guitar is just too much to bother with. And then when you try to get help on the forums there is this attitude thing. Once I was just trying to understand how to pare down to straight ahead bebop/post bop styles (think every thing from Bird up through Chris Potter) in creating tracks, and had to deal with people arguing with me about how Bebop, Hard bop and post bop are not modern jazz. (Hello have you ever gone to Berklee and seen how many omnibooks are in use?). the bottom line is that I would love to use BIAB again, and recommend it to all my students, but they all just go with Ireal. What I don’t get is why in addition to the endless options from mega to ultra to whatever style packs, you don’t just organize options around genre. Why not just have a complete “bebop and beyond” PAC for those of us who play straight ahead. we can live without the Celtic Cellos (and not to knock these styles. I listen to everything from Bird to Bach to Tool. But I play straight jazz). That’s what I need in a backing track. And there is a community out there of players with a similar need. I suppose doing so is not cost effective as there are so many other sorts of musicians you cater too. But I would think others players in other genres could use such focused content. I guess you guys are packaging and parsing BIAB in a way that is most profitable. It just doesn’t work for a subset of us out here.
Joseph P Cannavo

Last edited by Joseph Cannavo; 10/15/19 01:16 AM.

Joseph P Cannavo
Not everything can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
This has been a common request from many over the years. Well not necessarily Bebop [ btw that is not attitude, that's humor grin] , but certainly more focus on genre specific style sets.

I had hoped the enhancements to the Style Picker would have been helpful in these cases. In the image below I have selected only Jazz, only Bebop. I get 158 styles to the top of the listing. That should be a quick way to find what BIAB has for this genre. Does that help?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (107.84 KB, 134 downloads)

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome back to the forum Joseph Cannavo.

It has been awhile since your +++ original post +++ in 2017. I'm glad you decided to visit.

As MusicStudent (Dan) mentioned, the StylePicker has received a lot of attention since 2017 to make it easier for a user to discover styles that line up with their interests.

One interesting development is the addition of the "sort by song" option where a user enters the name of a song and the StylePicker sorts using the song name as a sort term. The song database is constantly updated and there are forum sections where users can suggest song titles to add to the database. The song database can also use specific song arrangements as a sort term in some cases. Here again, if there is a specific song title or arrangement you find missing in the database, suggest it.

You mentioned Abersold and Session Band in your initial 2017 post. There is at least one HUGE advantage has over both. The ausio material from both can be used inside Band-in-a-Box.

The Abersold audio tracks can be analyzed by the Audio Chord Wizard to create additional song arrangements for use as practice material. Once the chord arrangement is inside Band-in-a-Box (Biab) you can transpose to any key signature or shift tempo any way you desire.

Session Band uses audio loops selected by chord sheet. Band-in-a-Box can import loops.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard01.jpg (121.96 KB, 121 downloads)
StylePicker "Sort By Song" Option.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Joseph, yours is an interesting comment. Have you upgraded to BIAB 2019? If not, you might consider the basic upgrade (to get the new style picker mentioned) and then purchase just the Jazz Pak, here: https://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.realtracks.jazz.htm

As you can see, PG Music has taken some steps to try to address your request, and it has been a request seen pretty often.

The iReal Pro app differs in its purpose as it is organized by song, so BIAB will always be more versatile. I do use iReal Pro when I'm stuck needing a song quickly, but the first thing I do is key that song into BIAB where it will sound good and I can work with the key, tempo, style etc.

I happen to write contemporary Brazilian jazz, and I enjoy mixing genres that BIAB offers. However, if I were a purist modern jazz bebop player only, then I think I could find ample styles in the Jazz Pak I cited above.

I was surprised to find this topic in the Pre-Sales FAQ Forum, so I went back and re-read your original posts from the regular BIAB forum. It seems to me you have received some pretty good advice overall. You can ignore anything that questions your personal preferences.

You're in Denver; ever hook up with an old classmate of mine, Brad Upton (trumpet)?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
Apprentice
@Joseph

Too many unused features, too much complexity. If you have simple demands: chords, melody and bass, drums accompaniment... then Biab is much too complicated when compared to iReal.
It would be nice to have a slimmer (midi) version with bass, drs, melody, chords and that’s it.

Biab, Kontakt, Sampletank and lots of nice libraries, from Fluffy audio to Abbey Road drums.
Check out these great contemporary Jazz Styles: www.jazzstylezz.com
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Dzjang you should put that in the Wishlist.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<<< What I don’t get is why in addition to the endless options from mega to ultra to whatever style packs, you don’t just organize options around genre. >>>

The problem isn't genre. It's songs. According to an article by Stacey Conradt at the Mental Floss web site, "Just because The Beatles did a bang-up job on one song doesn't mean that Joan Baez or Elvis Presley couldn't do the same tune justice in their own unique way." And, "Yesterday has been covered more than 2,200 times, with Joan Baez, Liberace, Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, En Vogue and Boyz II Men among the many (many) artists to put their own spin on the song."

So, as Bob Segar sings in Against the Wind, "which one to leave in? Which one to leave out?" Also, for instance, what if you want to put your own spin on a song?

You're asking an impossible and unfair task of PGMusic. Matt's provided a good PGMusic derived solution but I suggest you can improve on their 'best guess' of your personal preferences better than they can. Dan and Jim's suggestions on using the new Stylepicker hopefully improve on the results you've received doing your own searches but again, you can improve on their results.

Honestly, if you take Matt's suggestion and purchase the basic upgrade and purchase the Jazz Pak, that combo package would contain dozens of Styles you'd likely never select to use. It would likely contain Real instruments you'd never select. You could send me $250 and I could create a custom Jazz Pak for you from whatever BIAB version and add-on's you have. That combo package would also contain dozens of Styles you'd likely never select to use. It would also contain Real instruments you'd never select.

_BANFOLK RealStyle is listed to be FOLK genre. It's also listed to be compatible with the genres Bluegrass, Folk, Lite Pop, Ballad and Country Classic and Country. A particular instrument of the style is an acoustic bass in a Bossa style. That same bass is also found in other searches. The other searches yield results for Bossa, Jazz, Jazz Ballad, Lite Pop, Smooth Jazz and Latin. Additional searches would I'm sure find more genres. Your point about searching and searches is well taken.

"But I play straight jazz. That’s what I need in a backing track. And there is a community out there of players with a similar need. I suppose doing so is not cost effective as there are so many other sorts of musicians you cater too. But I would think others players in other genres could use such focused content. I guess you guys are packaging and parsing BIAB in a way that is most profitable. It just doesn’t work for a subset of us out here."

Again, that is an impossible and unfair task to burden PGMusic or me with. Though I'd gratefully spend the $250 Nonrefundable fee to create you a custom list of styles... wink

All of the specific style content your "community of players with a similar need" have is there. PGMusic's profitability is of no consequence to your issue. They can't solve your subset personal preferences if they wanted to, for profit or free. They can't totally satisfy your subset of musicians or any one else's. What they can do and have done is supply the tools necessary for you to solve your own problem.

You say; "Not everything can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." BIAB's too complex, too comprehensive lists of Styles and instruments can be changed. So, if you're willing to face your problem and put in the work, you can easily create your own custom Style list and RealTrack instrument list. Create it. Save it. Use it and share it with the "community out there with a similar need" to what your need is.

Once you have your lists to your liking, any future upgrades and new PaKs, new releases of RealTracks can be auditioned and the ones that are appropriate to you personal Subset Specific Genre, can be added and all the remainder ignored. Whatever Version of BIAB you have, or purchase, they all have a finite number of Styles and RealTracks. Both The Stylepicker and the RealTrack Picker have user defined Favorite Folders. Audition each and every style in your version of BIAB and place your personal picks of appropriate styles that fit your personal subset style of 'straight Jazz' and use that folder for all of your BIAB projects and songs simply ignoring the remainder of Styles. Repeat the process for RealTrack instruments. For all practical purposes, that's what you're asking PGMusic to do for you and the end result is a custom set of styles and instruments that fit your personal needs and wishes.

I can almost guarantee the list you comprise will be much greater and diverse than you imagine. But while the music of your subset is specific, the nature of your issue with BIAB isn't. These forums are full of posts about what BIAB can't do and should do. I can tell of the dozens of times I've posted solutions to these type issues where BIAB can solve the issue or can do their desired task. If there is a reply posted at all, it's usually a rejection the poster is not looking for a 'workaround' (the solution almost never is, but rather, an unused feature of how it's done in BIAB) or they demand a preprogrammed 'button' to push like some DAW (which BIAB is not) has.

If you happen to be the exception, I'll be more than glad to assist you any way I can to help you create a personal favorites folder (at no cost wink or nonrefundable fee) from the tools and techniques available to help parse the task of auditioning down to manageable numbers and time.

Edit: / This process and techniques will also work for Dzjang's need. /

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 10/19/19 04:18 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
In my Favorite Styles List, I have all the Poll Winners Styles, the Dolfin style and a couple of funk styles. Those styles cover just about everything I need since like you I'm a straight ahead player. I have no need now to go into the thousands of styles list to find anything.

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,487
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195