Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#559935 - 10/20/19 09:29 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Your Loudness Penalty
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

I assume most folks have familiarized themselves with the myriad opinions around how loud to master. And if you have then you've certainly run into the LUFS discussions. The ones that make your head spin!

The streaming sites all have their protocols but for me there seems to be a misconception that you should master loudness levels specifically for streaming (or even for a specific site). If you are too loud they are gonna reduce your level. And it's that simple. Now if you have slammed your mix to the ceiling, i.e., the wave form looks like a 2x4, that's another issue. But if your mix retains dynamics yet is loud and you like it then according to some pretty knowledgeable folks that's OK. Why? Because when you upload it will be bumped down or up in db's and that is not going to deteriorate the quality of the track...caveat: as I understand it smile

If you are curious just drag one of your mixes to this site. It will not upload your file and will do a very rapid analysis and let you know how much several of the major streaming platforms would raise or lower the loudness of your production.

https://www.loudnesspenalty.com

I write this FULLY realizing that some folks will differ. smile

Bud

Bud

#559936 - 10/20/19 10:26 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Your Loudness Penalty [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Midwest
HearToLearn Offline
Veteran

Wow! What a cool share! Thanks Bud!
As people have left the "." out so many times, "Caaron" has become the norm of it. Still said as the "." was there though. smile

#559938 - 10/20/19 10:35 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Your Loudness Penalty [Re: Janice & Bud]
HearToLearn Offline
Veteran

So I pulled in a track (professionally mixed and mastered) of something I always thought was WAY too hot. I can hear distortion in the finals. This is a major label release to the public. Crazy!

This specific song is "Move" by Luke Bryan.

Attachments
Post attachments only available when logged in

Edited by HearToLearn (10/20/19 10:37 AM)
As people have left the "." out so many times, "Caaron" has become the norm of it. Still said as the "." was there though. smile

#559939 - 10/20/19 10:38 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Your Loudness Penalty [Re: Janice & Bud]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Whoa that is loud. I selected several of ours that I’ve long considered “too” loud. However they were all pulled down only 2-3db.

Bud

#559941 - 10/20/19 10:55 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Your Loudness Penalty [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Central Ohio
edshaw Offline
Expert

Loc: Central Ohio
Woweee. Thanks for that, Bud. Just the thing for me.

PS: OK, so I received flat bar for You Tube and the other, and a -1.9 for Spotify. If that means what I think, then my work is starting to pay off.
Still, I have ask, what if the track is to quiet? That's been my problem, not loud enough. Do you happen to know?

PSPS: Wait, I think I see. I did another and it came out +1.3
on Spotify. Say, that Spotify is a picky one, hey?

No Soundcloud....???

Edited by edshaw (10/22/19 07:37 AM)
Reaper/Audacity
TASCAM DP 03 SD|Digital deck

#559958 - 10/20/19 12:04 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Your Loudness Penalty [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Bud, I really like this. Great tip; thanks for sharing.

I tested some of my rough composer's drafts, and they are coming in pretty much on the button, though Spotify alone turns them down a tiny bit. My mastered CDs are all a bit hot for some of the services, around zero for others. That's exactly what I had expected.

This program takes some of the guesswork away from INDIVIDUAL services, assuming the algorithm of this program is correct. I knew about a little of the game YouTube is playing, and Pandora, but not the others - it was a mystery.

They have this as a $49 Plugin, too: https://www.meterplugs.com/loudness-penalty I'm getting it.

The same company has a few other products, too, for similar purposes. I use their Dynameter, which gives a different visual perspective to a mix.
BIAB 2020 Win Audiophile & 2020 Mac UltraPak. Software: Studio One 5, Adobe Audition CC, Notion 6; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#560156 - 10/21/19 04:57 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Your Loudness Penalty [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
sslechta Offline
Expert

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
Thanks for the info Bud and Matt.....

Checked the "Paradox of You" song I worked last year and was pretty close. Ozone mastering really helps nail it down.

Attachments

Steve

BIAB/RB 2020, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory

#560206 - 10/22/19 02:39 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Your Loudness Penalty [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Great find, Bud!

I just ran my latest through it, not too bad I think:

Attachments

#560321 - 10/22/19 04:26 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Your Loudness Penalty [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Bud,

Thanks for this. It's excellent to see how the wav I upload to Soundcloud compares. Below is my latest song "The Day You Stepped Into My Life".

I take it to mean that the below values indicate that if I upload to any of the sites listed, what I hear at home here should be reasonably close to what I hear on the site after the upload (since loudness adjustment is minimal). If that's the case, it's good to know that I'm on the right track smile

Attachments

#560369 - 10/23/19 03:15 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Your Loudness Penalty [Re: Janice & Bud]
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Interesting, Noel!

I assume the "0' you got for iTunes mean they won't touch the level. But I wonder what the "--" means?

EDIT: The "--" means it won't be touched. The "0" for iTunes means it probably won't be touched, but for iTunes they state "iTunes penalties are rough estimates"

Edited by BlueAttitude (10/23/19 04:50 AM)

#560493 - 10/23/19 09:17 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Your Loudness Penalty [Re: Janice & Bud]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Thanks, Dave. I appreciate the added information.

#561781 - 10/31/19 12:21 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Your Loudness Penalty [Re: Janice & Bud]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

What does it mean when it says -27dB?

Oh wait.... -2.7dB.... much better I think.

Most of the ones I tested from my list.... all fall in the -1 to -3 dB range across the board..... except one hit -5dB on one of the target sites.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#609605 - 08/06/20 04:46 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Your Loudness Penalty [Re: Janice & Bud]
olemon Offline
Expert

Interesting. Max reduction on a song I'm struggling with is -3dB for iTunes, but the uploaded wave / streamed SoundCloud song sounds like a different mix. Huge low end, compressed, frustrating.

Scott

#609614 - 08/06/20 06:00 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Your Loudness Penalty [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Wauconda, Il.
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Loc: Wauconda, Il.
Here is a recent upload. I knew right off it was "too low", but I was in a hurry to upload. This confirmed the initial low level.

Attachments

#609726 - 08/07/20 06:17 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Your Loudness Penalty [Re: Janice & Bud]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Dang - great find, thanks for sharing! Got it bookmarked - I know a few people who'd get a lot out of this. Also is interesting to see the differences between streaming platforms.

#609728 - 08/07/20 06:37 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Your Loudness Penalty [Re: olemon]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: olemon
Interesting. Max reduction on a song I'm struggling with is -3dB for iTunes, but the uploaded wave / streamed SoundCloud song sounds like a different mix. Huge low end, compressed, frustrating.

Scott

SC is one of the very few platforms that leaves loudness levels as uploaded. When listening on SC I check my monitor volume levels before each song as some are earthshaking and the next one may be whisper quite.

Like you I follow SC’s recommendations re uploads but sometimes they do sound over compressed. If so I replace the file on SC with a fresh upload of the same file and it sometimes sounds better. Beats me. One would think their algorithms would treat identical files the same.

Bud

#609877 - 08/08/20 11:37 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Your Loudness Penalty [Re: Janice & Bud]
olemon Offline
Expert

Thanks, Bud. I'll keep at it.

#610008 - 08/09/20 10:49 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Your Loudness Penalty [Re: Janice & Bud]
olemon Offline
Expert

Actually, the mp3 uploaded to Reverbnation sounds better to me and very close to the wave file I'm uploading to SC.

Perhaps I should be uploading an mp3 to SC instead?

#611166 - 08/18/20 09:38 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Your Loudness Penalty [Re: Janice & Bud]
Frankp Offline
Apprentice

Thanks Bud. I'd like to add a couple things.

1 - In youtube you can right click a video and select "stats for nerds" and see if the volume of a video was changed by youtube. You want to look at the line "Volume/Normalized", the first % is how high you have the video volume slider, the second % is how loud the video is playing. If the second % is lower than the first % then youtube has reduced the volume.

2 - I'd prefer to not have a streaming service change my file if I can avoid it. Even if it probably doesn't change the quality, but are we 100% sure of that? So I try to get it right going in by using the YouLean's free LUFS plugin.

#611246 - 08/19/20 05:22 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Your Loudness Penalty [Re: Frankp]
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Frankp

1 - In youtube you can right click a video and select "stats for nerds" and see if the volume of a video was changed by youtube. You want to look at the line "Volume/Normalized", the first % is how high you have the video volume slider, the second % is how loud the video is playing. If the second % is lower than the first % then youtube has reduced the volume.

Didn't know you could do that, thanks!
I just checked our latest video, shows Volume/Normalized at 100%/100%.
After that however it says "content loudness -6.3 db", do you know what that means?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® for Mac - Audio Chord Wizard Overview Video

The Audio Chord Wizard included in Band-in-a-Box is a powerful feature that automatically figures out the chords from an audio file and imports them (as well as the audio) into Band-in-a-Box®, along with the bar lines, key, tempo, and fine tuning!

Check out this video, where we explain how to use the Audio Chord Wizard: Click here to watch...

Read more about the Audio Chord Wizard within our online program manual, here. Better yet - give it a try and see/hear for yourself how intelligent this feature is!

Clarinet RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

It's National Clarinet Day! Who doesn't enjoy the rich & mellow sounds the clarinet delivers?

We have 20+ Clarinet RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box®, covering Dixieland, Folk, Jazz, and World styles. You'll find these RealTracks in the following Sets:
RealTracks Set 56: Jazz, Old and New
RealTracks Set 144: Dixieland - Fast Soloists
RealTracks Set 178: Dixieland - Medium Soloists
RealTracks Set 248: Oberkrainer! Folk Music From the Alps

Clarinet RealTracks Artists include:
James Danderfer
P.J. Perry
Thomas Oberreiter

Tutorial - Downloading and Installing Your Band-in-a-Box® Purchase

When you order your copy of Band-in-a-Box® from our website you'll receive the installation files to download your order, even if you're having it shipped!

You can access these files within the My Products section of your online account.

Downloading the program is such a convenient way to get started with Band-in-a-Box®! To learn more about how to download your purchase, please review the written tutorials we've created for Windows and Mac.

200+ Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Where would music be today without the sultry sounds of the Saxophone? Fortunately, because of Adolphe Sax, we don't have to find out!

Today we celebrate his birthday, and with that a nod to our extensive collection of Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Saxophone RealTracks sound so amazing that they were one of the first RealTracks we developed and released for the program with Band-in-a-Box® 2007! Now there are more than 200 Saxophone RealTracks available for Jazz, Rock, Blues, Country, Funk, and Pop!

Our Saxophone RealTracks Artists include:
Eric Alexander
Eric Marienthal
Gary Smulyan
Jack Stafford
Jim Clark
Mark Douthit
P.J. Perry
Phil Woods
Tom Keenlyside

Click on their name to be taken to their bio page where you can learn more about the artists and listen to demos of all their RealTracks.

Upgrading to Band-in-a-Box® 2020 is Easy!

Did you know... anyone who has owned a previous version of Band-in-a-Box® is entitle to upgrade pricing - you do not need to have your old version installed!

Maybe you used to own the Windows version, but you now have a Mac... that's not a problem either!
(or if you owned the Mac version, and now you have a Windows computer)

In both cases, you would purchase from the "Upgrade from 2018 or earlier or crossgrade" row here for a new Mac version, or here if you want the newest Windows version. Just need to upgrade your 2019 version? Use the "Upgrade from 2019/2020" row.

When you purchase your upgrade from either of these rows, you will receive a complete installation - just follow the steps of the setup, and your Band-in-a-Box® will be ready to use!

PG Music Inc. shopping cart accounts were not required to purchase from our website prior to October 29, 2014. With that in mind, you may have to create an account in order to upgrade - that's OK! You'll still be entitled to upgrade pricing.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Italian for Mac is Here!

Ci sono oltre 50 nuove funzionalità in Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Ci sono miglioramenti ai RealTracks (RealTracks vocali dal suono più fluido, Ispessimento RealTracks, RealTracks "Find-a-Sub" e MultiRiffs). La maggior parte dei RealDrums ora hanno RealCharts (con un'accurata Notazione di Batteria). C'è un nuovo Browser dell'artista RealTracks per trovare informazioni /bios/collegamenti/ elenchi di RealTracks su tutti gli artisti. Un nuovo Browser delle Funzionalità consente all'utente nuovo o "smemorato" di trovare e utilizzare facilmente la maggior parte delle funzionalità/tasti di scelta rapida/documenti da un'unica finestra. Equalizza Tempo consente di cambiare una canzone registrata in rubato in un tempo fisso. Stiramento del tempo/tono dell'audio migliorato (Elastique) incluso. Ci sono miglioramenti di SongPicker, Auto-Intro di Basso/Batteria o Batteria solo, 3.400 titoli aggiunti, miglioramenti di MusicXML, chitarra "per mancini" e "Vista Studente", miglioramenti del trascinamento della selezione, visualizzazione multi-finestra dell’analizzatore degli accordi audio e altro ancora!

ACQUISTA/AGGIORNA & SCARICA ADESSO!!

Want to be notified when a new version of Band-in-a-Box® is released? There are a few ways to stay informed!

PG Music Newsletter: Click here to subscribe
(If you've registered with us, or purchased from us, you're already on the list!)

Facebook: Click here to "Like" our page!

Twitter: Click here to Follow Us!

We'll also announce any new version or new product release on our Forum... stay tuned!

Forum Stats
33205 Members
67 Forums
65969 Topics
566535 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Jamery122, AHR, svm, blackpocus, SongCrafters

33205 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 162
MarioD 153