Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Over the years, my system has evolved into what I would call a "studio" system (see sig below). In other words, I am setup to play in a studio setting not "out in the real world".

Lately, I've been thinking about trying the nursing home or small party / benefit circuit.

While I can adapt most of what I have, speakers are the biggest unknown for me. My thoughts are that I would go with "powered" speakers and perhaps those that have built in mixers.

Right now, for lack of anything else, I'm looking at Yamaha's; their two speaker Stagepas 600BT or their soon to be released "stick" system, the Stagepas 1K.

But here's where I get confused. In a two speaker system, I could do a "hard" pan to the left and right and get a stereo image. With the "stick" system, it would be mono only.

All of my BIAB and RB songs use panning to one extent or another. How important is this in a live setting? Up close with my monitors having both channels helps to widen the field, but is this really necessary or preferred in a live setting where the "audience" is further back from the speakers?

While I understand that having a stereo setup with speakers too far apart would be a problem, does having a multi-speaker setup with left and right speaker channels enhance the overall sound in larger settings? Will mono, providing that you have a wide horizontal dispersion, sound just as good?

Maybe it doesn't make any difference....I just don't know.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Veteran
Veteran
It would only matter to you, once the sound is 15-20 feet out front the stereo field is lost.

For me as a keyboard player focusing mostly on organ and electric pianos I really want stereo behind by so I use a Spacestation amp but that's probably not for you. If you want to use two separate powered speakers you can get stereo by making sure you're sound source outputs true L and R and split them to both speakers. Another thing, when I was researching this for myself some years ago I was surprised by how many systems would mention stereo and had L and R inputs but the speaker outs were actually not really split, they were still mono going out to two speakers. If you want stereo you have to watch out for that, the advertising can be confusing.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Journeyman
Journeyman
I play instrumental guitar with BIAB backing tracks.
Everything from dinner jazz to Frank Zappa (a slightly different type of dinner jazz).
I throw in a little Merle Haggard here and there to keep everything honest. 3 chords and the truth.

Most of my backing tracks have drums,bass, and at least one chording instrument comping (B3,Rhodes,Guitar,etc)
I started with stereo mix but have evolved to mono mix only.

I've learned that quality of mix is very important.
Toward that end I make sure to use a limiter and loudness meter in my DAW.
I also use mp3 gain to assure consistent volume across tracks.
These two things (suggested by forum members) have significantly improved the quality of my tracks.

As far as the PA goes, I started with a standard 2 speaker PA with a stereo mix.
It was a bit too much and required 3-4 trips to the car for everything.
From there I went to Bose S1 pro with a guitar amp. That was better but not great.
The sound would get muddy especially the backing tracks.

Now I use a line array (Stick) PA. This is hands down the best so far.
The height of the rig really helps project the mids and highs. The 12" woofer moves some air.
I use the Electro Voice Evolve 50. Its a bit more $$ than the StagePas 1k.
I honestly cant tell you how it compares. The Stagepas does have a similar 12" woofer.
Looks like it may also have a little more capability at the mixer. That might be in the StagePas favor.

The line array setup is much cleaner at the gig. Its all right there where you are. This is important as some of my gigs I don't have a lot of space to spread out. Once or twice i used the Bose S1Pro as a monitor out of the line array. That worked pretty well.

I no longer carry a guitar amp. I use a Tech 21 FlyRig Guitar Processor direct into the EV.
The tracks are on an Ipad I direct to the EV. I use Anytune Pro for playing the tracks.
I also have a BlueBoard bluetooth pedal to the ipad for controlling (next song, previous song, start, stop)
Anytune. On occasion I'll use the bluetooth from the ipad to the EV for the tracks but mostly I use a cable.

I pack it all in/out with 2 trips to the car.

I'm 61 and while I love the sound, the 42lb bass unit is a bit to hump up and down stairs.
I'm considering a 8" or 10" powered speaker setup (QSC 10.2)for small gigs.
It would knock 10 lbs off the carry. It still puts out enough bass for dinner gigs.

Anyway, this forum helped me quite a bit to get where I'm at now. Its got me a quality sound the customers like so I'm getting some gigs (in spite of the Zappa stuff). Hoping to focus on putting together a CD over the winter for next season.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
Expert
Expert
Hi
It does rather depend on the venue and your sound source.
The problem with a real stereo image is that the customers dancing, or sitting to one side tend to only get half of the sound unless its panned to the centre or very near.
Especially if you are using a wide stereo source image and wide speaker placement.

Therefore central panned stereo or mono via two speakers / channels would be more suitable . and share the sound out better and make it perceptibly louder.
The Yamaha stage pass works this way as each speaker and channel is 300 watts hence the name 600 .
It has different input arrangement into the inbuilt mixer and at least two of them can take a stereo signal in and send a mono mix, of say a stereo keyboard to both speaker outs
I had a Stage pass 300
Here are some pics may help.

Mike

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
sp300.jpg (144.67 KB, 229 downloads)
300 controls.jpg (305.8 KB, 229 downloads)

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Veteran
Veteran
I've been in a duo since 1985 and found it's best for me to mix in mono.

In a live setting, very few people are going to be in the sweet spot to hear balanced stereo, so some will hear one channel louder than the other and the mix will be all wrong. In worst case, you will be set up in a room to the short wall (it happened to us last weekend) with people past both the L and R speakers. If I were in stereo the would mostly hear one channel and not the other.

I've been in very many different room configurations. I even played a gig where one speaker was inside and another out by the pool. I've played rooms where one channel had to be turned down and the other up to fill the room. And many other weird setups.

Mono is just all-purpose easier.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks guys, I really appreciate these comments. It certainly helps steer my thinking.

It seems that the consensus is its best to use mono in a live setting. Must say this comes with some relief as hauling a multi-speaker setup isn't something I would look forward to.

Do appreciate everyone's comments and insights.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Expert
Expert
I tend to use stereo but I see the point of folks not hearing the “true stereo”. I just like the spread of instruments across the stage. I like a piano on the left (it can still be heard out the right just not as loud), then a strummed guitar near the centre. Bass and drums right up the middle and a picked guitar towards the right. This is pretty much how the band I was in would sit on a stage.

I had retired from all forms of music and got shy of most my gear, then folks asked me to perform. I needed something easy and cheap. I bought a Samson 800 PA. This PA clips together into one box for transport. When clipped together the mixer and leads all fit neatly into the speaker enclosures so I only have one “box” to shift (I do so on a trolley). At 70 years of age the last thing I need is something I can barely move.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Expert
Online Content
Expert
Having played in a live band with everything going into the mixer and then out through the PA (including my guitar processor) we had the facility to do stereo but sent the whole lot out in mono through the two speaker arrays of horns, mid range cabs and and bass bins.

you need a good solid sound that sounds good from anywhere and stereo is just a complication

Veteran
Veteran
Another question is do you playback mono, stereo or multi-tracks song files even though the final output will be mono?

With multi-tracks you can adjust the volume level or equalization for each track as needed to match the room acoustics.

Band-in-a-Box and RealBand can play native BiaB song files but other programs can not.

Audacity can, and some DAWs can import and play multi-track files.

All the programs mentioned above plus Cakewalk by BandLab and some DAWs can playback from a playlist.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Another point is that if you go mono then you should mix in mono. Mixing in stereo and playing back in mono can cause problems.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Expert
Expert
You're in the area of sound board operation with this, Jeff. While there are good reasons to be able to A & B the tracks, such as lowering the vocal for a Karaoke use, the first priority is audio consistency, you know, no bad seats. Or, the music fills the room, as they say. This is not a living room or movie theatre. I use two power speakers aimed at 45 to each other.
I'm on the learning curve with this in much the same application you are considering. I have a pair of QVS 1000 Watt 8's. Wouldn't want to go much lower. Each speaker is fed by its own aux out. Each speaker has separate left and right XLR combinations in w/ volume control. The two can be linked. Each also has tape in. The tracks are split, but each side is the same. My volume is controlled by track faders.
I don't make an effort for stereophonic effect at this point, though down the learning curve a ways, that's a thought. Should I go there, I'd expect to use the pan features for starters.

Last edited by edshaw; 10/17/19 04:02 PM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Veteran
Veteran
I mix into two channels, Bass and Drums hard left all the other instruments hard right. I pan them both center on my PA mixer.

That gives me the ability to nudge up the rhythm for dance sets and tweak it down a bit during dinner sets.

That works for me.

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Veteran
Veteran
That's exactly what I did the last time I used tracks as a duo which I haven't needed to do again lately. The biggest acoustical problem in a room is bass and drums. A little EQ, a little volume nudge and you're good.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
OK, I'm trying to wrap my head around all of this good advice. Mixing in mono...OK got that. But the "nudging" comment caught my attention and brings up another question.

Are you folks recommending a multi speaker setup or would a single "stick" (Bose L1, Yamaha 1K, JBL Eon One ) speaker work? And just for the record, I'm not talking about use in large venues, ballrooms or anything of that size...I would guess not more than 50 people in medium sized dining rooms, pool areas, cabanas and the like.

Seems these vertical array speakers have plenty of horizontal coverage for those situations and I hope enough low end. On the other hand, maybe I'm still missing something here.

Your thoughts and experience playing in a live situation would be most appreciated.

Jeff

Veteran
Veteran
I have a friend who uses one of those Bose things (I think it was L1 model 1 but not sure). He needed 2 subwoofers to fill a medium sized dancing crowd room.

In a little over 2 years it broke, and was told Bose doesn't make the parts to fix it anymore. It's a doorstop.

He went conventional and bought our old Carvin powered speakers. (We bought new EV powered speakers about a year ago so the old ones where just sitting around.)

I have no idea if this it typical or not, but if you are using the Bose, I suggest you get a spare for a back up.

That advice actually goes for anything. I have a power amp and non-powered speakers that I use in my studio that were once in my PA system that can be called back into action.

J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Jeff, I play nursing/retirement homes sometime 2 or 3 times a week and the stage pass in my opinion is all you would ever need. Most facilities have two or three different levels of residents, independent, nursing and memory. For the independent groups I use a Fender Passport (stereo) and it is more than enough to fill the room. In all the places I play the performance area is no larger than 40’ x 60’ and maybe 40 people.
Now for the memory and nursing performances I use a small PA combo amp it’s an Alesis TransActive 50, which is of course mono. Unfortunately no longer made but it is the best small amp I have ever heard. Maybe just 20+ lbs.
These performances are very intimate with maybe 12 people max. They are truly “parlor” venues.
All of my files played from BIAB running on a MacBook Air. They are mixed in stereo and on the Passport I have the option of stereo or mono, it is an older model which has that capability.
So to help answer your question I don’t think it makes that much difference whether you use mono or stereo.
But you might consider 2 amps, one smaller so you can get in and out of a smaller nursing home performance and a PA for a party environment.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks JazzSax, really appreciate your insight and experience. Your venues are right in the sweet spot about what I was considering.

I'm still having an issue in my mind about the mono / stereo thing but I also have to keep an eye on making a sound one time investment and keeping in mind the setup and lugging of equipment. I leaning towards the "stick" vertical array types ( Bose, Yamaha Stagepas 1K's ) but the old school audiophile in me derails me into the multi-speaker mindset.

Having "pros" like you and the other forum members has really given me insight on how best to proceed. The Christmas season is fast approaching and I need Santa to make the right choice soon!

Jeff

Expert
Expert
HI

As I said I had a Yamaha Stage pass 300.
And very good it was, one or two members of the keyboard club had these also and they often used theirs in the nursing home situation with success.
However the 2 speaker and mixer set up weigh 18 kg that’s about 39.6 lbs
Plus any speaker stands you may want.
That’s almost ½ cwt needs some lugging. You can I believe get a bag with wheels
(more expense)
And that’s the 300 model.
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Veteran
Veteran
Unless you are Pink Floyd, or... going for the "PF we're gonna blow your mind" effect..... Mono works best. Especially in nursing homes and 99% of all other venues.

Back in the day we ran a system and mixer totally capable of handling stereo.

From the board to the amps and speakers, we had the capability. However.... We never ran anything in stereo. Main reason is, if you do, you risk having parts of your audience miss parts of the music due to their seating location. If they are sitting on one side or the other, and are directly in front of a speaker....and you're running a true stereo mix, they will miss the stuff from the other side.

Aside from Pink Floyd, most of the bands I've seen appeared to have mono mixes. At a Trisha Yearwood concert, we had seats up front and 3 rows back but directly in front of the stage speakers. I don't recall thinking that I couldn't hear the mix well. I heard everything nicely and for it's proximity to the speakers, at a very comfortable volume level.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Expert
Online Content
Expert
a while back we got up to play for an audience of old folks and almost all of them took their hearing aids out............

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,551
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199