You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#560964 - 10/27/19 02:00 AM [User Showcase] Panis Angelicus (by César Franck, arranged by me - music is in the public domain)
Loc: United Kingdom
musician17 Offline
Expert

I wanted to create this arrangement for SUCH a long time - finally got round to it. Genuinely hope you enjoy and thank you so much for listening and for any feedback, which is - as always - truly welcome!

https://hearthis.at/jamesdelsono/panis-angelicus/

Solo instruments: Panpipe from NotePerformer and Upright Piano from Kontakt 5. Written in Sibelius, mixed in Audacity with the BIAB tracks below.

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Panis Angelicus - 26 October 2019
File:Panis Angelicus 2A - 27 October 2019.SGU
Key=A , Tempo 75, Length (m:s)=3:24
No intro. 60 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 60. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is _QUASAR.STY (Quasar Minimal Modern Pop Ballad)

RealTracks in style: ~2475:Bass, Acoustic, HeldSimple Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 2693:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm ModernPop16thsMike Ev16 075
RealTracks in style: 2692:Organ, Rhythm ModernPopSlowMike Ev 075
RealDrums [in style:NashvilleBrushesBalladPushEv16: a: Sidestick, Brushes b: Brushes

#560984 - 10/27/19 07:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: Panis Angelicus (by César Franck, arranged by me - music is in the public domain) [Re: musician17]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Nicely done, James. The Pan flute sounds really good...

#561097 - 10/28/19 01:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: Panis Angelicus (by César Franck, arranged by me - music is in the public domain) [Re: musician17]
musician17 Offline
Expert

Thank you :-)

#561100 - 10/28/19 02:16 AM [User Showcase] Re: Panis Angelicus (by César Franck, arranged by me - music is in the public domain) [Re: musician17]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Nicely done and played - a good listen.

Peter

#561576 - 10/30/19 12:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: Panis Angelicus (by César Franck, arranged by me - music is in the public domain) [Re: musician17]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Expert

Loc: Texas
Another good one James.
"Bread of Angels, made the bread of men..."

#561598 - 10/30/19 01:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: Panis Angelicus (by César Franck, arranged by me - music is in the public domain) [Re: musician17]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
You chose a somewhat difficult piece and did well with it. I'm very familiar with it because it's a staple of classical crossover, which I discovered here in my later years and enjoy. The flute is a little stiff and its natural decay seems abrupt, but I am used to this piece being sung so that may be the issue. Splendid work all told, I could not do this. Keep up the ambitious work!

#561694 - 10/30/19 11:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: Panis Angelicus (by César Franck, arranged by me - music is in the public domain) [Re: musician17]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi James,

I'm not overly familiar with this work of Franck's. You've done a great job, though. I really like that pan pipe... it's got such a haunting sound.

Whenever I hear a pan pipe, I always, without exception, think of Gheorghe Zamfir playing the "Lonley Shepherd" and Simon and Garfunkle's "El Condor Pasa"... You took me there again smile

This is a wonderful arrangement. Kudos to you! It's easy to tell that you've taken a great deal of care in keeping the arrangement authentic while giving it a more popular music twist. I thoroughly enjoyed listening.

All the best,
Noel

#561748 - 10/31/19 08:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: Panis Angelicus (by César Franck, arranged by me - music is in the public domain) [Re: musician17]
musician17 Offline
Expert

TuneMonger: thank you so much! Yes, it's an amazing piece, a challenge to arrange (which is why stubborn ol' me took it on, haha). Yes, there are problems with the panpipe sounds a little - nothing I could sadly do about them, they sound like that "out of the box" (so to speak) and I didn't have the knowledge or indeed patience to fix them :-( . But thanks for every one of your kind words!

Noel: look for Panis Angelicus sung by King's College, Cambridge, on YouTube whenever you have a little time - you're in for a treat :-) . Gheorghe Zamfir is a favourite of mine ... not many people know of his name, though many can point to his "Lonely Shepherd" playing without actually knowing who it was that played on that track, so I'm impressed :-) I'll have to listen to the Simon and Garfunkel song, however - I come from a classical music background, myself, so my knowledge of popular music is a little Swiss-cheese like ... full of holes, haha. Thanks for helping to fill in the gaps :-) and I'm so glad and grateful that you enjoyed my little attempt at arranging this amazing piece :-)

#561847 - 10/31/19 06:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: Panis Angelicus (by César Franck, arranged by me - music is in the public domain) [Re: musician17]
Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
It's a lovely melody and the arrangement supports it well. I'm glad there's no singing involved as the idea of cannibalism, even on a symbolic basis, freaks me a little.

#561871 - 11/01/19 12:00 AM [User Showcase] Re: Panis Angelicus (by César Franck, arranged by me - music is in the public domain) [Re: musician17]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Nice arrangement.

I'm with Tunemonger on the panpipe, though - the abrupt cutoff is odd. I think adding some reverb to it would really help. Then again, just about any flute is going to sound better with reverb. (It's just a matter of knowing how much is too much).

As for Zamfir not being well known - you apparently didn't live through the barrage of '70s commercials... wink

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#561875 - 11/01/19 01:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: Panis Angelicus (by César Franck, arranged by me - music is in the public domain) [Re: musician17]
musician17 Offline
Expert

I will work on the panpipe! I've already done a different arrangement of it because I wasn't too happy with the percussive nature of the piano background - found a better BIAB piano track to use ... so will definitely have a look at the panpipe solo!

As for Zamfir, I'm an eighties child, so ... you're completely spot on in that regard!!! hahahaha :-) Thanks again for listening and for the comments - I now look forward to hear the Zamfir video you posted up! :-)

#562251 - 11/03/19 01:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: Panis Angelicus (by César Franck, arranged by me - music is in the public domain) [Re: musician17]
Loc: Germany
Crossroads Offline
Expert

Loc: Germany
Hi James,

a very appealing listen. Loved the Pan flute. Sounds good all the way.

Cheers,

Stefan

#562254 - 11/03/19 02:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: Panis Angelicus (by César Franck, arranged by me - music is in the public domain) [Re: musician17]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Enjoyed this very much. Thank you for sharing. Rob4580

#562775 - 11/06/19 09:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: Panis Angelicus (by César Franck, arranged by me - music is in the public domain) [Re: musician17]
musician17 Offline
Expert

Thanks so much Stefan and Rob - and sorry for the delay in expressing my gratitude ... had a bit of a temporary health problem here to deal with that has kept me away from all else, recently (it's all sorted now, thankfully).

#562803 - 11/06/19 01:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: Panis Angelicus (by César Franck, arranged by me - music is in the public domain) [Re: musician17]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Very nice. We are not familiar with the tune but can easily imagine
the amount of thought and effort that went into this production.

Excellent!

J&B

#562962 - 11/07/19 10:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: Panis Angelicus (by César Franck, arranged by me - music is in the public domain) [Re: musician17]
Mark K Offline
Apprentice

Beautiful piece. I like the sound of the Pan Flute, but as others have said, its abrupt cut-off was sometimes disconcerting. I know it would be tedious and take some time, but I think you could do some volume automation on that (the Pan Flute) track to drop the volume more gradually for the last part of the affected notes without needing to change anything else with the instrument, mix, or effects. Enjoyed the listen.

#563166 - 11/08/19 09:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: Panis Angelicus (by César Franck, arranged by me - music is in the public domain) [Re: musician17]
musician17 Offline
Expert

Thanks!!!

Janice & Bud: if you search "Panis Angelicus - King's College, Cambridge", you will find an amazing version of this piece, the one that inspired me to arrange it! Hope you enjoy and thank you ever so much for listening!

Mark K: I've done a new arrangement, with a little more reverb on the Pan Flute, of the piece ... here: https://hearthis.at/jamesdelsono/panis-angelicus-rain/ Not sure if it's any better, but I tried :-) Thanks so much for listening!

PG Music News
The XPro & Xtra Styles PAKs Special Ends September 30th!

Amp up your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 experience when you add XPro and Xtra Styles PAKs... on sale until September 30th!

XPro Styles PAKs are styles that work with any version (Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition) of Band-in-a-Box® 2022 (or higher). We offer 3 PAKs, and each PAK includes over 100 styles!

Xtra Styles PAKs are styles that work with the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box® 2022 (or higher). There are 13 PAKs available, with over 100 styles in each PAK!

They're all on sale only September 30th!
Each PAK can be purchased for $29 (reg. $49)... Order XPro Styles PAKS | Order Xtra Styles PAKs

How to: Using the New Download and Install Manager to Install on macOS

In this video we show you how to use the new Band-in-a-Box® Download And Install Manager to install Band-in-a-Box® 2022 on macOS: Installing Band-in-a-Box® On macOS Using The New Download And Install Manager

Learn more about this feature.

Special Offer! XPro Styles PAKs on sale until September 30, 2022!

XPro Styles PAKs 1-3 offers 300 more RealStyles to supercharge your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition! All of these styles are professionally mixed and include genres like jazz, country, bluegrass, pop, singer/songwriter, rock, and more. For you Pro and MegaPAK users, the XPro Styles PAK 3 also includes 35 additional RealTracks (a $200+ value) that are not included with the Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Pro or MegaPAK. XPro Styles PAKs are only $29 each (reg $49) until September 30th!

Learn more about XPro Styles PAKs 1-3 for Windows and for Mac.

Note: XPro Styles PAKs work with ANY Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Special Offer! Save on Xtra Styles PAKs until September 30, 2022!

Until September 30th, save over 40% on our Xtra Styles PAKs 1-13 with over 2,200 RealStyles (and 35 MIDI Styles)! Each set is on sale for $29 or get them all in the Xtra Styles PAK 1-13 Bundle for only $199 (reg. $349)!

Expand your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition with Xtra Styles PAKs! These Xtra Styles PAKs will add TONS of imaginative styles to your collection, spanning several genres like jazz, rock, bluegrass, country, pop, blues, singer/songwriter, and more! Every RealStyle is professionally mixed and uses a unique arrangement that has never been used by our previous styles. We have even included several MultiStyles that include up to ten substyles each for your advanced arrangements! Spend less time mixing and more time creating, with Xtra Styles PAKs!

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs 1-13 for Windows and for Mac.

Note: These Xtra Styles PAKs require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box® version 2022. They won't work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the 2022 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial - Nick Kellie

Endorsing Artist Nick Kellie is a long-time Band-in-a-Box® user - here's what he has to say about the program, along with some of his sessions demoing his use of Band-in-a-Box® backing tracks: Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial - Nick Kellie

"Band-in-a-Box is an indispensable tool for any practicing musician. I can think of any chord progression imaginable and it can do it. It has helped me to hone my skills as a soloist and as a rhythm player."
- Nick Kellie

Band-in-a-Box® User Tip - Generate a RealTracks Solo Using the Silence RealTrack Instead of Mute

Our Forums are full of enthusiastic and long time Band-in-a-Box® users, so it's no surprise when they post a handy tip for fellow program users.

Like this one, Generate a RealTracks Solo using the Silence RealTrack instead of Mute

What a time saving tip to share with everyone - thanks Charlie!

Interested reading other program tips, or share your own? Head to our Tips and Tricks forum to join in on the conversation.

Forum Stats
36557 Members
64 Forums
75752 Topics
667630 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
UnconfuseU, yesiyens, banjojeff, budt5221, chrismcg

36556 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AudioTrack 166
MarioD 110