Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I've discovered that if the Natural Arrangement is active on the track of your chosen soloist (RT, not midi!), the result is much more limited and repetitive in terms of what you actually get played.
So be sure to manually turn that OFF for your soloist(s) in your Track Settings.

Last edited by Icelander; 06/10/17 01:30 PM. Reason: Correcting mistakes

Thank goodness words aren't knives.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BBox 2022 Audiophile, Mac Pro Intel, OSX 10.6.8, 800x600 (TV VGA)
Expert
Expert
How do you do this.?

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Menu for the track (right-click on the track's button), found under the Track Settings submenu.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screen shot 2017-06-10 at 23.28.56.png (59.38 KB, 134 downloads)
Last edited by Icelander; 06/10/17 03:10 PM. Reason: correcting mistakes.

w Offline
Expert
Expert
Icelander,

Excellent tip Sir.

Is there a global setting rather than doing it track by track for every song/project ? If so, where is it set globally ? We can't find it or rather it is not obvious to us.

Thanks.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Inside Preferences 1 panel, bottom left.

Veteran
Veteran
Eddie,

This would make a great tip in the Tip & Tricks section of the forum. The basic idea, turn off natural arrangement when using solo RealTracks, is a good idea for both the Windows and Mac versions of Band-in-a-Box. Here is how to set arrangement options in the 2017 Windows version:

To set arrangement in Windows 2017 for a specific track right click on the track radio button > Track Settings > Set Natural Arrangement and select an option. To set arrangement option for all tracks use the option in Song Settings. To set the natural arrangement globally, click Preferences > Arrange.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I really considered this to be more of a "friendly advice" or a suggestion than a 'certified' Tip with a capital T, you know - and perhaps a gentle nod to the staff along the way about this limiting side-effect of a new feature (which I'm sure wasn't intentional).
Having said that, feel free to make something 'more' of it as you please smile

Last edited by Icelander; 06/11/17 12:06 PM. Reason: Further details

Veteran
Veteran
I'm not sure just what the "natural arrangement" does anyway.

Does it compromise the chords so that when I put in a complex chord it simplifies it? If so, what's the sense of putting in a Bb7#5#9 or something like that?

Or does it improve voice leading? That would be a good thing.

Or something else?

I generally leave it off anyway. The little yellow box appears and I ignore it.

Perhaps I should do some experimenting.

Insights and incites by Notes

Last edited by Notes Norton; 06/12/17 02:22 AM.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
w Offline
Expert
Expert
Notes Norton,

Good post!

My interpretation : By turning off Natural Arrangement chords then complex chords will supposedly be played.

Band in a Box ( Windows or Mac ) is a extremely sophisticated artificial intelligence based music making programme. The musical sounds of those complex chords is rather different when compared to the sound of those same chord or chords when played by an acoustical instrument as compared to a computer generated sound. I have tried it by playing those complex chords on a piano and there is a significant difference. Mind you the speaker system used does play an important role.

My conclusion is that it is somewhat a waste of time typing in those complex and obscure chord structures. Although on the other hand great for making use of all my musical theory knowledge acquired from my early years of study and graduation in The Royal Conservatory Certificate Program.

I think that if you have a powerful computer ( loads and loads of RAM ) than you can turn the natural arrangement OFF and your computer would be able to generate those complex chords in addition to all the other stuff it has to generate in milliseconds .

Just my thoughts.

Veteran
Veteran
I know that in complex chords, a pianist might choose to only play a few of the notes, but often they are the extensions letting the bass play the root and other notes understood. But this should be done with the idea of what supports the melody and which tones add interest to the chord movement.

I wonder if BiaB is 'smart' enough to choose which tones support the chord movement (since it doesn't know the melody I'm going to play, that one is out of the picture).

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
I wonder if BiaB is 'smart' enough to choose which tones support the chord movement (since it doesn't know the melody I'm going to play, that one is out of the picture).
Actually, if you've entered your melody into the song via midi (which you should, see my tip on that from a few years back), then the program absolutely does "know" what the melody is - and it does matter to the choices it then makes in terms of what particular rendition of any given chord it uses, even with the Realtracks! It's one of the core reasons the program needs to pre-render everything that is Realtrack.

Last edited by Icelander; 06/13/17 04:05 AM. Reason: Correcting factual mistakes.

Veteran
Veteran
Except I play the melody on my sax, guitar, flute, wind synth, or keyboard synth live while BiaB is playing the background. I don't want BiaB to have all the fun, so I save the melody for myself.

When BiaB started it was nothing more than a great auto-accompaniment program. As the years went on and more features added, it has become a lot more than than that, but it's still what I use it for most.

I can load a song in, pick up my sax (or whatever) play the melody and then practice or investigate different improvisation ideas I might have. The sax, flute, and wind synth are monophonic, so without the auto-accompaniment going on, I can't hear the chords in my head well enough to know if I'm making and relieving tensions.

For me BiaB is the best practice tool I know of.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Except I play the melody on my sax, guitar, flute, wind synth, or keyboard synth live while BiaB is playing the background. I don't want BiaB to have all the fun, so I save the melody for myself.
Which is perfectly understandable! And you can still of course be the "main man" and just turn the volume off for the Melody channel (in the case of live performance), and/or record your audio on top of the previously entered midi melody (in non-live cases), which will automatically suppress the midi without removing it = In both cases the midi data is still there, for the benefit of both the program and yourself (in terms of results) cool

Veteran
Veteran
Thanks!

Notes

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks!

Notes
Welcome to it, mate. In fact, it's been your train of thoughts throughout this whole thread here that lead us to this latest point (which thanks to you I've remembered again), which in turn has served as just the nudge I needed to make a "proper" post about it in the designated Tips forum.
So..right back at ya and much obliged cool

Last edited by Icelander; 06/15/17 11:43 AM. Reason: correcting mistakes.

Apprentice
Apprentice
Jim Fogle, Icelander, I realize this is an older thread but I hope that you will see it. When I generate RT solos, it's in RealBand, and not BIAB. For general arranging within BIAB (when solos are not involved), what is the better setting, Natural Arrangements or not? It would seem that from other threads, that allowing Natural Arrangements is considered an excellent choice for improved performance in BIAB. Would the Natural Arrangements choice that we make in BIAB, affect the RT solos in RealBand? Thank you!

Best, Warren

Warren A. Keller- Woodwindist/Producer
Spontaneous Groovin' Combustion
Tune 9 Music- SESAC
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Warren Keller
Would the Natural Arrangements choice that we make in BIAB, affect the RT solos in RealBand? Thank you!
Unfortunately RealBand does not exist for my platform (Mac), so I'm afraid I cannot answer this particular question.

Apprentice
Apprentice
Thank you Icelander! Hoping Jim Fogle will weigh in. I like using RB to generate tracks, but have moved onto a better DAW for production.

Best, Warren

Tune 9 Music- SESAC
Veteran
Veteran
Warren,

As far as I can tell, the natural arrangement selection appears to be confined to Band-in-a-Box.

Some settings stored in a Band-in-a-Box song file are not recognized by RealBand. But what song file settings RealBand uses and which file settings are ignored is not documented.

I don't think the question, "Does the natural arrangement setting in Band-in-a-Box affect RealTrack generation in RealBand?" can be answered in an absolute sense. But you might be able to get a better sense by experimenting with short and simple song files where the only difference between the song files is the natural arrangement settings.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks Jim. Given that Natural Arrangement has long been chosen in my BIAB preferences, and the rich and varied solos I've generated in RealBand, I'd think that BIAB's Natural Arrangement does not in any way limit the RealBand soloist and MultiRiff features. Just wanted to check, though!

Best, Warren

Tune 9 Music- SESAC
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195