You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#561913 - 11/01/19 08:31 AM [User Showcase] Long Lonely Christmas
Loc: Canada
Troy Schiewe Offline
Enthusiast

As we all know it takes a while to write these things and in this case I started this song and two other Christmas songs last Christmas. I didn't get them finished before the season was over and no one wants to hear a Christmas song in January (maybe not early November as well). So I told myself that this year I would pick them back up at the beginning of October and get them done. I know this is early, but I'm going to be away for most of this month and without access to what I need to get these recorded. So without further excuses...here is my November song number 15 in my song a month challenge for 2019.

A little bit of info on this song.. I had the unfortunate position of watching a friend of mine have his relationship fall apart around Christmas over a decade ago. I never intended to write about it, but it basically wrote itself. Incidentally the friend is doing great now and as a song writer himself has no issues with the song (just to stop the hate mail).

A little about the recording.. I've done my best to record this in the style of the Everly Brothers stage act of the late 80's early 90's. I had the pleasure of seeing them 3 times. The last time was with my Dad just before he passed away unexpectedly. I was already a big fan of Don and Phil, but this cemented them there. When ever I hear them I think about my Dad and about the great night we had.

Bass - 519 Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes
Piano - 1564 Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm IslandJohn
Drums - PopCalypso
Guitar1 - 1175 Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm PopCalypso
Guitar2 - 1177 Guitar, High-Strung Acoustic, Rhythm PopCalypso
Piano 2 - 2026 Piano, Acoustic, Soloist CountryJohn
Main Vocal - Troy Schiewe (me)
Harmony - Generated with BIAB

Each track generated and saved as a wave file and then mixed with Reaper.

Link to song on -----> SoundCloud
Long Lonely Christmas
Words and Music by Troy Schiewe
Copyright 2019

It's been a long lonely Christmas
I'm sitting here by the phone
It's been a long long lonely Christmas
I'm missing you tonight

On the street there are carolers
On TV a Christmas Parade
But I don't feel much like smiling
No I can't play that charade

I'm wishing you come back home

I don't know what I said or done
But somehow I drove you away
And all I really want for Christmas this year
Is for you to come back home to stay

Edited by Troy Schiewe (11/01/19 08:38 AM)

#561949 - 11/01/19 12:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: Long Lonely Christmas [Re: Troy Schiewe]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Troy,

This sounds excellent!

You've created a wonderful backing group with BIAB that provides the perfect showcase for your terrific vocals.

You sure know how to write, arrange and present a thoroughly engaging song. I enjoyed everything about this.

All the best
Noel

#561965 - 11/01/19 01:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: Long Lonely Christmas [Re: Troy Schiewe]
beatmaster Offline
Expert

This is a belter of a sad Christmas hit, and as Noel said excellently done.

I loved the vocals.

Thanks
win 10 64 bit 16gb, ssd 500gb, Alesis multimix8 usb,ketron sd,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3, TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 ,Byerdynamic 770 pro, akg k270,akg k701.
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

#561972 - 11/01/19 02:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: Long Lonely Christmas [Re: Troy Schiewe]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Online   content
Expert

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
Really nice backing, narrative and vocal performance.
The 2nd voice is may be a little loud as in the beginning I wasn't sure which was the main. I made an assumption based on the latter entry of one compared to another - perhaps lower the 2nd/harmony voice a little just for verse one?
It seems a little odd to have the piano solo over to one side though.
Lovely song.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#562000 - 11/01/19 05:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: Long Lonely Christmas [Re: Troy Schiewe]
Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
sslechta Online   happy
Expert

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
I kind of get a Roy Orbison feel on this one. Well mixed and the vocals sound good to me.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2020, Pro Tools 2019, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory

#562019 - 11/01/19 08:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: Long Lonely Christmas [Re: Troy Schiewe]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Troy, great arrangement, quality vocals and fantastic Christmas song.

I really enjoyed the mix, and you generated special interest by starting the song with the chorus.

Well done.
BIAB&RB2020(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#562039 - 11/01/19 09:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: Long Lonely Christmas [Re: Troy Schiewe]
Loc: Alabama, USA
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alabama, USA
Hi Troy ...

This is the first of your songs I've had the pleasure to listen to. Sure am glad I clicked onto this!

Great song and your vocals are excellent. Very nice backing tracks ... excellent selection!

That was a real nice listen! Wishing you the very best ...

Alan

Edited by Al-David (11/01/19 09:42 PM)

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#562047 - 11/01/19 11:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: Long Lonely Christmas [Re: Troy Schiewe]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Memorable chorus, solid verses that give the outline of the story and the feel of the season without getting stuck in details, good arrangement, well sung, nice harmony.

What's not to like? smile

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#562104 - 11/02/19 08:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: Long Lonely Christmas [Re: Troy Schiewe]
Troy Schiewe Offline
Enthusiast

Hey everyone, I know I don't post comments very often, that's just because I never really know what to say. But I just wanted to thank you all for all the comments both complementary and constructive. It's helped me immensely in my songwriting and I do really appreciate you all.

#562334 - 11/03/19 10:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: Long Lonely Christmas [Re: Troy Schiewe]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Expert

Loc: Finland
I'm bit in a melancholy Christmas mood because of the darkness outside, so this song really touches right now. Beautiful melody, nice longing lyrics, heartfelt singing, good mix.

Janne

#562848 - 11/06/19 06:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: Long Lonely Christmas [Re: Troy Schiewe]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Expert

Loc: Texas
A nicely written Christmas song...
Your vocals remind me of Dwight Yoakum...
And I enjoyed listening...
Merry Christmas!

PG Music News
#MusicMonday - Share your Latest Band-in-a-Box® Song!

Let's hear your latest Band-in-a-Box® song! Don't be shy - post it as a reply, or head to our User Showcase Forum to share it there!

New to Band-in-a-Box® and unsure of how to get started? We have a few resources to help you out!

Forums - packed with helpful program users!
Online Manual - specifically "Chapter 2: QuickStart" (Mac users, click here.)
Support Videos - sorted for easy searching! All of these are also shared on our YouTube Channel.

Of course, you can always reach out to our team directly too! www.pgmusic.com/contact.htm

#TBT The Band-in-a-Box® 2010 "Plug-in" Mode!

Did you know... the "Plug-in" mode was first launched with the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2010 for Windows!

With the 2010 "Plug-in" mode, Band-in-a-Box® opened as a small always-on-top window, and acted as a plug-in for your favorite DAW/sequencer, so that you could Drag-and-drop MIDI and audio (WAV) tracks from Band-in-a-Box to your favorite sequencer. You could work in your favorite sequencer, type a progression in Band-in-a-Box, and then simply drag the track from Band-in-a-Box to your sequencer’s track at the desired track and bar location.

To learn more about the new features that were launched with Band-in-a-Box® 2010 for Windows, check out Band-in-a-Box® 2010 "Plug-in" mode feature highlighted in our Band-in-a-Box® 2010 New Features Video at 10:50!

The "Plug-in" mode development didn't stop there - With Band-in-a-Box® 2019 we introduced the "Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin" which now works DIRECTLY INSIDE YOUR DAW (Cakewalk, Reaper, Pro Tools, PreSonus, etc.). Learn more about this feature here.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac - No Sound with MIDI?

Have you ever experienced a No Sound issue when you're working with MIDI in Band-in-a-Box® for Mac?

We have an online tutorial that can walk you through some troubleshooting to resolve this, but why not check out our newest YouTube video instead?

Click here to watch...

Of course, you can always reach out to us directly if you're in need of assistance with the program!

#TipTuesday - The Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Feature Browser!

Don't underestimate the power of the Feature Browser added with Band-in-a-Box® 2020! This is a GREAT resource when you "know that you knew a feature" but just can't quite remember how to find it!

Simply click on the [?] at the top of the program (near the Mixer on the right) to launch this feature. From there, simply type in your query, or choose from the long list that appears in the Feature Browser window. If you're typing it in, you'll see that list change to only show the results that could fit your search - once you find what you're looking for, you can read more about it when you choose [Manual], if there's a video for the feature you can choose [Video] to view it, OR - if you don't need to read about the feature and just want to USE it, choose [Do it] and you're all set!

Watch this new feature in action when you jump to the subject in our New Features video:

10:19 - New Feature - Feature Browser

Give the Gift of Music with Band-in-a-Box®!

Did you wait too long to purchase flowers, a card, or book a restaurant for Valentine's Day? Or, maybe material gifts just aren't your thing?

Why not whip together a song in Band-in-a-Box? It's as easy as typing in some chords, choosing a style, and pressing play!

Or, take it a step further with the help of the Audio Chord Wizard and our StylePicker Song Titles Browser feature!
How???
-Use the Audio Chord Wizard to analyze their favorite song and provide you with the chord progression
-Take that chord progression and start a new project in Band-in-a-Box (choose "Erase the Audio WAV file in BB" | Enable style)
-Head to the StylePicker window, search for a style for that song using the "Song Titles Browser" Feature (top right)
-Choose from the list provided
-Press Play!

Like what you hear? Save it, and viola!

Holiday Hours - Family Day (Mon, Feb 17)

Monday, February 17th is Family Day!

Our hours on this holiday will be:
Customer Service: 8:00AM to 4:00PM PST
Technical Support: Closed.

Regular hours resume Tuesday, February 18th.

www.pgmusic.com/contact.htm

Get Out Your Guitar with Band-in-a-Box®!

Today is Get Out Your Guitar Day! To celebrate, "they" recommend gathering up a few friends with guitars to ROCK!

But, what if you're unable to round up your crew? That's where Band-in-a-Box® comes in!

There are more than 1,100 Guitar RealTracks available in Sets 1-352 by over 50 RealTracks Artists! Jam along with any of them when you create your own song using Guitar RealTracks, or play one of the demo songs for any Guitar you choose in the RealTracks picker dialog - simply choose your Guitar and click on the [Song Demo...] button within that window.

OR take it even farther when you head to the Soloist within Band-in-a-Box® and choose "Trade" when generating a Guitar Soloist track - choose between 2, 4, or 8 bars!

Learn more about the Trade option within Band-in-a-Box in Chapter 9 | "The Soloist" of our Online Manual.

Forum Stats
31234 Members
63 Forums
62487 Topics
528720 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
dBirch, Ery, peterindc, eligilbertbanjo, Ray170644

31234 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 146
Pipeline 134