Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
If someone said the key is A# and I had to read the music I would be pretty lost....3 double sharps and 5 sharps. Why would anyone want to do that? How would Bb sound any different?

None of this matters for me on guitar if I don't have to sight read something.

Cheers,

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
A# is a theoretical key only.

There are no practical keys that have double sharps or double flats in their key signatures.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Noel,

I sort of assumed as much and I never have seen anything written in A#.I have seen a few double sharps written which always seemed very strange.But under some conditions it is better just to keep quite....lol

Sometimes strange things happen. Many years ago I use to play with a piano player who played just about everything in C#. I never knew just why. He was a old blues player.
https://youtu.be/w8jQX4ptLHk at about 2:50 you can see his typical style.

I have also played with Albert Collins who tuned his guitar in a very strange way.
Open F minor F,C,F,Ab,C,F and used a capo at fret 5,6,7. I first met Albert at Lightnin Hopkins house. I think they were first cousins.

After all these years I am now trying to learn to finger pick like Lightnin. Perhaps I will get it down if I live a few more years.

Cheers,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi again, Billy.

Wow! He sure looks like he knows what he's doing. Is that you on guitar?

Believe it or not, C# major is a pretty comfortable key to play on the piano. It uses all the black notes with F and C as the only white notes -- technically they're E# and B# but that's a theory thing.

The reason the key C# sits so well under the fingers is because the hands are positioned over black notes and it makes getting both black and white keys pretty easy.

Thanks for sharing the video. I enjoyed it!

All the best with the finger picking!
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If you ever get to see the movie, "Wrecking Crew", there is a place where the musicians are reminiscing about recording with Frank Sinatra. Glen Campbell states "Strangers In The Night" was played in B minor and then asks the question, "Who sings or plays in B minor?" Funny piece.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I write quite a few pieces in Bb, the equivalent of A#, because many horns are tuned to Bb or Eb. It makes it easier for the horn players. Also, Bb, Eb and F sound really sweet to my ears. I also sing (to the limited degree that I can sing) many songs in Bb (A#) or in F.

I'm not an educated musician ... fully self-taught. So, technically, there may be a difference between A# and Bb. On the guitar, they're the same thing as far as the performance factor.

My nickel's worth (two cents won't buy anything!)

Alan

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Just curious Billy, why this question in the first place? Do you have some sheet music written in A#? Same with your question about the piano playing in C#. It's not C# it's Db which is known as the gospel key. There are tons of YT vids about how to play gospel piano and they're all in Db. Stevie Ray Vaughn was famous for tuning his guitars down to Eb making most of his big hits in Eb and Ab. Tricky to play on keyboards unless you've had some schooling in those keys for rock/blues piano. Reese Wynans had no problem with it. He smokes his solos in those keys on organ and piano.

Did you see the video posted in another thread about why F# is the best key for guitar? They explain it very well. I didn't know that many famous rock songs must be in F# for guitar or your hand position and fingering are all wrong for those famous licks. They gave example after example of this. They showed if you move it to F or G those signature rock licks are almost impossible to play, it has to be F#.

This is all about musical schooling whether self taught or formal. If you're a monster player like Glen Campbell was he may joke about playing in Bm but was it a problem for him? Oh, hell no. Guys like that can play anything in any key and that's what it's all about if you want to be a real player. Keys don't matter at all.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Bob,
I was looking up something else on the internet and ran across some stuff about A# major. I looked at an A# major scale and was a bit perplexed. A long time ago someone gave me a three foot stack of classical sheet music. I remember seeing something in A# I think. I know that there is a Chopin piece in A# minor... Chopin - Polonaise in A# minor.

Walter told me he was going to play in C# the first time we played together. I knew nothing about the piano at the time. This was blues and there certainly was no sheet music involved. I knew how to play in C, sort of, and just moved it up a half step. Well...I knew a few licks and knew what a 1/4/5 was. All this was fifty plus years ago.

If you don't get some proper musical education at a young age it may take you years to learn stuff. Fifty years ago C# seemed like something really strange. Today it is just another key for me.

I have a little more technical literacy now days but the more I get exposed to people who are really educated the more I find out how little I really know.

If a guitar player is trying to replicate certain songs, that can only be done in the original key. Sure a good guitar player can do most things in any key but it will not sound like the original in many cases.

I play in Bb Ab and Eb all the time for many reasons...sometimes just to make it easy on the horn players. Really good horn players don't care what the key is anymore than you and I do.

There are certain keys and certain scales and certain instruments commonly used in certain styles of music....no harmonica in rap for the most part ...lol

If we were in Houston tonight and went to a blues jam we would be playing in E, A, G, Bb or perhaps Am or Em 99% of the time.

I never really considered the F# thing...got to go look that up, although at first glance other than guitar players who generally don't get bothered by the key, writing something with six sharps sounds to much like work...lol. I play in F# minor a lot because it is the relative minor of A major.

I come here to ask questions because there are people who actually know the answers.

Cheers,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Alan,

If I am writing something and start it out on the piano that is normally in C major or minor for me or perhaps F major. Those are just really the easy keys for me to think in.

If I start out on the guitar it could be in any key.

I often change the key because I thank it sounds better.

The biggest reason for me to change keys is to make things better for the vocalist.

Cheers,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Jim,

Don't think I have seen the movie. I all ways think of Bm as a rock key. I not sure if I ever tried to sing in that key.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Noel,

Fortunately that was not me in the video.Jerry was someone I knew and played with a time or two.

Jerry Lightfoot, Texas blues-rock guitarist and songwriter, died at the age of 55 on September 19, 2006 from an aneurysm caused from a head injury sustained from falling down or being assaulted at an Austin, Texas motel.

Walter died in 2012 at 95.

There are only three people from the old days who I have played with who are still alive. Buddy Guy, Taj Mahal, and Tanya Richardson.

That fact makes me feel very alone sometimes.

Cheers,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I played with a blind pianist many years ago. He preferred keys like C# because the black keys are easier to identify by feel.

He could play in any key though, could read Braille music, had great ears, and sang well.

He moved back to France and became famous. Look him up if interested

Gilbert Montagne

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_Montagn%C3%A9

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Why would you play in A#? Because it’s written in A#.

A better question is, who would write that?

My instruments are pitched in C, Eb, F, G, A and Bb. I have to get used to thinking enharmonically sometimes, but I can still wish the composer used the better choice of Bb.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Here's the F# video I talked about. The guys start off almost acting drunk and goofy but then they start showing good examples of famous tunes in F# and how they really can't be played in another key. I totally agree nobody plays in those keys at blues/rock jams and that was me too back in the 60's but as time went on and I started working with good players I learned I had to get my chops up in all keys.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Notes,

That is very logical about the feel. I "assume" when any blind person starts to play they could use the C# key to establish hand position on the piano to play in any key. Actually any black key would work.

A piano player is much more likely to need to play a piano that is provided on site than a guitar player. At home the piano player's bench is most likely in the same position providing less need to know where you are in relation to the key board.

I find I can hear a note or chord from youtube looking at my computer and reach over to my piano on the right side of me and play the note without looking most of the time. If I hear a note I can not tell you the note name most of the time but I know where that note is on the piano or guitar.

I lived in France for a couple of years but never ran across your guy, well that I remember anyway. I may have seen him as I have been to many Johnny Hallyday shows.

Sight is a wonderful thing, but it can also be distracting when playing.

Cheers,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Matt Finley...you always have these pragmatic answers to questions...lol

Yes....I agree, if it is written in A# major as a professional you need to figure out how to play it.

I also don't think just because something is difficult to do is a good reason not to do it.

I also know some very difficult things can be done that I and most people would never do. One of the top professional archer in the world has no arms and shoots with his feet.

Making horn players play in certain keys makes life difficult for them. Good musicians are knowledgeable and considerate of the people they play with. They do what ever they can to accommodate the team. Contrary to the way some musicians act, music is a team sport.

Cheers,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey Bob,

The F# video was informative. I just never thought about it. It is pretty rare to play song after song in the same key. It would be a little hard to make the connection without someone pointing it out. As a guitar player, it is rare to sight read very much, so the actual name of the key is not so important.

For me I find it unnatural to play in a key other than the original recording. I have listen to the song on tape or CD or the radio a thousand times then the band wants or needs to play it in another key. This happens most of the time to accommodate the vocalist or because the keyboard player or guitar player is not use to playing in that key.

The key of C and it's relative minor is by far the most common key across all music. Many of the examples in the video used "power chords" which would be hard to do in the same way in F for example. F# lends itself to a certain style of rock.

There were some important concepts expressed in the video so now I want to go play and think in F# to try it out.

Thanks for posting.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
M...

Making horn players play in certain keys makes life difficult for them. Good musicians are knowledgeable and considerate of the people they play with. They do what ever they can to accommodate the team. Contrary to the way some musicians act, music is a team sport.

Cheers,

Billy

Funny. Music is a team sport until you run into THAT vocalist who insists it can ONLY be done in that one key.

Uh, OK.

That's when you find out if your chops are in good shape.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have always played in guitar bands for a living. E concert is F# on the tenor sax. I like that key on the sax better than I do Bb and Eb concert (the keys that the older generation of sax players preferred). Not that C and F on the tenor are hard, it's just that F# fits my hands better - probably due to the years I spent with guitarists. I like A concert (B tenor) for the same reason.

When Leilani and I work out a song, we find the best key for the vocalist. If it's in a seldom played key we move it a half step either direction. That way if my brother-in-law sits in with us, he doesn't have to negotiate tricky keys on music we don't even have a chart for.

But sometimes it doesn't sound good a half step away. We do one song in C# because it sounded duller in both C or D. I don't know why, but it's not the first song that did that.

Another in B for the same reason. I don't mind, and if my B-I-L sits in we just don't do those songs.

We don't let anyone sit in because we use backing tracks. B-I-L is the go-to person if someone wants a trio. But we haven't even done that in years.

Our first concern is for the song to sound good. After that the comfort of the players comes next.

On the guitar it's easy to change keys, on the sax, flute, wind synth, and keyboard it's more of a challenge. But every time you get something, you lose something. While it's much easier to transpose on the guitar, it's more difficult to read music on that instrument. I guess that's the payback for easy transposition. wink

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
The webmaster told the apprentice designer, "Just because you have 800 fonts does not mean that you are required to use every one of them." In the same vein, one concert master instructs his students not to practice anything they do not intend to perform.
For guitar, the Hal Leonard series is gradually squeezing out the Mel Bay Method. 1) Sight reading principles 2) The notes on each string, one at a time, with simple melodies in CMaj as students go along 3) Learning popular and blues chords, major and minor 4) Introducing additional popular keys, G-A-E. 5) Barre chords, tabs, additional keys such as FMaj. That sequence is pretty much the one professional teachers are following, today. Yet, if you look at YouTube instruction, there's little resemblance. Much of what we see on you tube guitar is movable pentatonic scale patterns. The emphasis is on creativity and on learning a system that permits playing in any key by way of learning the roots and movable patterns. Same principle as learning once very popular movable barre chords. Doesn't this pretty much describe the way things are today?

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,579
Posts734,675
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200