Print Thread
Go To
RealBand
jonel Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi All,
It may just be my installations of RealBand, but I find it is behaving quite flakily in a most annoying way.

The problems I have had so far are:

1. When I use the custom dialog for saving revised copies of midi files I get an exception. This happens if I have opened a midi file, modified it and saved it to the same folder under a new name. The file doesn't actually save.
2. If I create a song and save this as an SEQ then all works OK, but if I modify the song (change style perhaps) and save this with a different name in the same folder, I get an exception and the file is not saved. (see the error message below)
3. If I generate RealTracks from chords and then change the tempo I get a full crash. No problem if the generated song is all midi.

Access violation at address 004054EB in module 'RealBand.exe'. Write of address 0069006C.

Exception log with detailed tech info. Generated on 05/11/2019 11:48:03.
You may send it to the application vendor, helping them to understand what had happened.
Application title: RealBand - [untitled] 000135
Application file: F:\Realband\RealBand.exe
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Exception class: EAccessViolation
Exception message: Access violation at address 004054EB in module 'RealBand.exe'. Write of address 0069006C.
Exception address: 004054EB

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I am not an expert on RB and in fact I rarely use it but I do have a question. Are you using save or save as when trying to save a song under a different name? In my DAW, Studio One Pro, I have to use save as.

If you are using save as then just ignore this message.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
RealBand
jonel Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I do use Save As because its I am usually saving a different version of the song. It's Save As that actually causes the problem. Using Save is always OK because this keeps the properties of the file the same, including filename.
I tried an experiment. Firstly I created a RB file from scratch and saved it (using Save). If I open the same file again and attempt to Save As in then I get a crash (I think it is a permissions violation).
If I open the file again and use Save as in different folder then I crash again.

But ... if I copy an older version of the file to a temp folder, open this file in RB and save it, there is no problem, but then I have to change the name of the file outside RB. In short, I can manage it, but it is a pain. I have check my permissions and all seems OK. So long as I do not use Dave As there is no problem.

You say you don't use RB often! Neither do I. I tend to use Ableton and Sonar most of the time, but these do not give me the quick start with accompaniment and ideas that BIAB and RB and everytime I go back to them I have to learn it all over again (age not being on my side). They are both excellent at trying out chord progressions and chord types quickly. If only these could be integrated into Ableton.

I have had some interest in Studio One but I can't bear to be starting all over again (FL Studio gets a little kick every now and again)

John

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I suspect RealBand is having trouble handling all the edit events. One way to minimize this possibility is to use the "Edit" > "Track" > "Consolidate Audio Region" command.

If a track contains separate audio events, this command consolidates the events into one big event. This command will work on the highlighted area of all selected audio tracks.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard01.jpg (258.05 KB, 127 downloads)
2019 RealBand Edit - Track - Consolidate Audio Region

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
(I think it is a permissions violation).

Are you running RB as an Administrator?

It sounds like your first couple problems may be permissions related to me also and this fixes a bunch of permission issues in one easy step.

Right-click your RB shortcut and 'Run as Administrator'.
If this fixes the problem, modify your shortcut Properties on the Compatibility tab to always run as admin (in the Privilege Level section)

Edit:
Just noticed the part of the message that says you are running RB from F:\ and not your C:\ drive
Is this the external drive, or an internal drive that you copied RB to?
Copying an application to a new drive can inadvertently cause weird permissions issue .. so running as admin is even more applicable. see below image

Quote:
If only these could be integrated into Ableton.

Have you tried the BiaB plugin for other DAWs? Or does it not work in Ableton ..

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
RB_Admin.jpg (74.32 KB, 121 downloads)
Last edited by rharv; 11/05/19 02:04 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
jonel Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thank you rharv, but I already run RB as administrator. I also feel that this is a permissions problem. I tried copying RealBand back to the C: drive to see if that might have been the problem, but no change there. I gave users Full Control of the destination folder but still no difference. Even though I suspect that this may be permissions related, I don't understand how I am able to create the SEQ file in the first place. If I simply create new songs and save them I can then modify them to my hearts content and there is no issue. These operation all require underlying permissions. It is only if I decided to Save As.
As soon as I select Save As I get the error, at that point the software has not even asked me where I want to save the file, it just says that an error has occurred as shown below. Because the message tells me I proceed, I dismiss the message and attempt to Save As a second time. This time I do get the choce of where I want to save the new file. I give the file a completely different name - test.seq - (original I know). I then get the error report again. After I dismiss the message I see that the file has not been saved.
I try again and open the original file, I then Save As. Now I put a couple of characters appended to the end of the original file name and then I'm told that file already exists as shown below.

Now, when I continue these test I found that it DID start to save the new file name, but knowing I have done nothing extra to the system I carry on these tests and for a few Save As tries it works a treat, not even giving me this original error! Sometimes the file is save with now filename, just the SEQ extension!

So .., I began the process from scratch but then I get the errors and as I persevere I get it to work several times. After a few successful Save As operations the program loops and I have to kill it in Task Manager.

So really this error is inconsistent and probably not worth anybody's time. If I can get it to work now and again that will be OK because I don't use Save As too often.

I'm very grateful for the very helpful support that we all get in this forum though.

One thing I was intrigued by though, was the ability to run BIAB and RB from and external drive. Does this simply meany, after installation, simply copying the BB and RealBand folder to the external drive. That would certainly save me a lot of save and allow me to use the program on my laptop and other PC.

Thanks again

As an addendum to this post I have spent some time time trying to sort the 'flaky' problems out. It was all too easy to try and blame RealBand for the issues because nobody elsse seemed to have the issues.

The the major issues that I had were:

1. Renaming a file when using Save As (SEQ save)
2. Crash after saving a SEQ after inserting a loop
3. A forever loop when I tried to change the tempo of a song containing audio tracks

Well, after learning that not nobody had these issues and looking at the error log, it did really look like I had a permissions problem. RealBand was already running under the Admin authority' so the application itself should have not had any issues with security. I looked at the set of folders which were the target of the save and I gave them full control to all users but this did nothing to alleviate the problem, still getting exactly the same error.

I tried moving RealBand back to the C: drive where it had initially been installed, but , again, no joy.

I used a folder at the root of the F: drive where RealBand.exe was located, but nothing again.

I did noticed that I could, outside RealBand, use Windows Explorer to make a copy of the original SEQ and I could rename this. This new file was easy to load and use Save, so at least I had a workaround.

I had decided to just to stick with this. Then, on a different tack, I was going to try to run RealBand from a removable drive and work on my laptop. I thought I might try the rename problem on this removable, and it WORKED.

So I moved back to my PC and created a copy of the RealBand song PC folder on my removable and, to my surprise (and delight), it WORKED.

So ..., I went back to the original folder on my PC and, to my delight (and dismay), it also WORKED. Because now I had no idea what was really causing the problem.

Now I couldn't seem to get it not to work. I shut down last night and started this morning working directly from the folder on the PC, doing edits and using Save As with no problem at all.

So now I don't know what the issue was. I'll just have to wait and see if it comes back again

At least points 1 and 2 have now been addressed.

Full of hope from the success of points 1 and 2 I thought I would try point 3 on the removable.

But this was just the same. I added an audio track to the song and tried to change the tempo. Everything appeared to be working. I'm told on a dialog that the Sample Rate is being processed and I even get the progress bar, but the circle appears on the screen and I wait ... and wait ... and wait - in fact I went for a cup of tea. On coming back I could see that no progress had been made. I look in Task Manager and I can see that the CPU is running at 40% with RealBand. I was unable to cancel on the dialog, so I just had to kill it - I don't think I've used Task Manager so much since I started using RealBand.

Still, if I use just midi on my tracks until I am happy with the song tempo then I can insert the audio at the last minute.

Thanks to all for the helpful pointers.

The reason I've spent so much time on it (I am an Ableton user) is that RealBand does have some really excellent features for song creation and I was contemplating moving to the 2019 version (2017 at present) and was evaluating whether or not it would be worth my while.

Not decided yet!

Thanks

John

Last edited by jonel; 11/08/19 12:52 AM.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Jonel
To answer your question above in one word - Yes smile

Remember that BB/RB allows up to THREE installs per Customer.
I run Win7 but I also DL it into my old XP system and after Christmas, if Santa is kind, it'll go on a new Win10 drive too.
Ian

Last edited by sixchannel; 11/06/19 04:07 AM.

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
RealBand
jonel Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Yes, I was aware of the ability to do this but what I means is, as long as I have installed on these different machines then is it OK to copy the RealBand/BIAB folder on to a portable drive and then simply move this around to the machine currently being used?

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Yes.
As long as the drive is not used on two computers at once.

Many of us install the programs (only) to C: on different computers then use external drives for everything else like the RTs and RDs and file saves, if desired and room is available.
On my main machines I use a separate internal drive, but external drive works on my laptops, windows pad, etc.

RealBand
jonel Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thank you, I'll give that a true.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Are you confirming/vouching, or did you mean you'll give it a try?
<grin>

RealBand
jonel Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Sorry, I meant I would give it a try. Another brain fart for me!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,455
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195