Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#563459 - 11/10/19 08:56 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: What causes this static noise?? - SOLVED, sort-of [Re: Matt Finley]
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

I've given up.

After testing everything I know and working with Focusrite Support (very quick and friendly), I have concluded there is no combination of connections or settings that will make the Roland Integra-7 work via S/PDIF into the Focusrite 18i20 without digital clicks and pops.

I just connected the Integra's analog outputs via TRS cables to the Focusrite, and I'm all set. The sound quality isn't quite as good, but I'll take it to be rid of clicks and pops. Peace at last.

Many thanks to all of you who helped me!

- Matt
BIAB 2020 Win Audiophile & 2020 Mac UltraPak. Software: Cakewalk, Adobe Audition CC, Notion; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#563460 - 11/10/19 09:17 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: What causes this static noise?? - SOLVED, sort-of [Re: Matt Finley]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
FYI After years of using it I thought that my Behringer V-Amp Pro was dead. I had it connected to my computer via S/PDIF. All of the menus were scrambled and all of the sounds had distortion. Not like yours but more like a guitarist's fuzz pedal. Just for fun I connected it via audio outs and everything worked perfectly.

Maybe S/PDIF isn't as stable as we thought?

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#563461 - 11/10/19 09:20 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: What causes this static noise?? - SOLVED, sort-of [Re: Matt Finley]
Veteran

Right, Mario. Who know, but I think S/PDIF is stable. I just have my doubts about the particular device I'm using, the Roland Integra-7. My other older Roland hardware synth, a Roland Fantom XR, works just fine in its place. Weird.
BIAB 2020 Win Audiophile & 2020 Mac UltraPak. Software: Cakewalk, Adobe Audition CC, Notion; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#563500 - 11/10/19 05:37 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: What causes this static noise?? - SOLVED, sort-of [Re: Matt Finley]
Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
SPDIF is not 'stable' necessarily. As I stated a few pages back, it has no clock signal. It just runs along however it feels, within some reason, at the sample rate that is set by the sending device.

I'm glad you got it sorted out. Your other device that you've used via SPDIF is probably using a different, perhaps more stable, internal clock.

-Scott

Edited by rockstar_not (11/10/19 05:42 PM)

#563514 - 11/10/19 06:09 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: What causes this static noise?? - SOLVED, sort-of [Re: Matt Finley]
Veteran

Yes, a few pages. Hard to keep up with all the good advice.

What surprises me is that the Integra was supposed to be an improvement on the Fantom.

#563634 - 11/11/19 01:13 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: What causes this static noise?? - SOLVED, sort-of [Re: Matt Finley]
Loc: New Mexico
Larry Kehl Offline
Veteran

Matt

Since I can't physically test your equipment - it is always possible your unit's digital circuits and outs are bad see page 43 of service manual. You HAVE the service manual (I sent you a link a while ago) if you need it again I will send you the PDF or link (if I cant find again - LOL ) - JUST PM me

but there is also some testing you could do (might not show anything) - see page 17 -19 but need stable signal generator and O'scope (or O'scope SW)

I guess you can't use the USB audio because of all the other gear involved? But then the analog is not BAD and only 1% of you all "golden ears" would ever notice any signal degradation going from DAC to ADC in your chain.

As far as S/PDIF begin "free wheeling" actually that's OK within limits but in general CLOCKS are very HARD, period and that's without embedding audio with clock (S/PDIF)and still expecting listening unit to get it right 100% of every clock tick.

I've work on and with critical systems that make professional audio/video syncs and clocks trivial in comparison, at clock rates that are orders (plural) of magnitude higher than highest rates used on in any studio gear and those clocks are critical to certain human life.

Edited by Larry Kehl (11/11/19 01:26 PM)
Win10Pro64,i9-9900k,32GB,2TBSSD+20TB HDDs,1080TI,Scarlett18i8,MIDI4x4,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,GR-50,Integra7,XV5080,Fantom-XR,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL20, SO3,MC8,AD2,ST3,Kontakt5,Amptube4,etc.. but I'm really a guitar player w/AXE FX III ++

#563668 - 11/11/19 06:01 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: What causes this static noise?? - SOLVED, sort-of [Re: Matt Finley]
Veteran

Many thanks and yes, I have the service manual from you. I'm just burned out on this right now and I need to make some music. I'll come back to this in the spring! I might also bring my other Integra-7 from my cabin and try that. It would tell me if it's the design, or one is bad.

#563673 - 11/11/19 07:19 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: What causes this static noise?? - SOLVED, sort-of [Re: Matt Finley]
Larry Kehl Offline
Veteran

Copy and yes MAKE SOME MUSIC (actually make another CD and let us know when it's ready).

Larry
Win10Pro64,i9-9900k,32GB,2TBSSD+20TB HDDs,1080TI,Scarlett18i8,MIDI4x4,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,GR-50,Integra7,XV5080,Fantom-XR,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL20, SO3,MC8,AD2,ST3,Kontakt5,Amptube4,etc.. but I'm really a guitar player w/AXE FX III ++

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

PG Music News
Review - Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows

Make sure to check out the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows review from Sound-Guy (Dennis) at www.gearslutz.com: click here.

Sound-Guy has been using Band-in-a-Box® for many, many, many, many, many years - and we still managed to surprise him with some great new features! Read his latest review to learn more about his favorite additions for 2020!

"Band-in-a-Box continues to evolve as an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to produce not only new compositions and arrangements, but also perform them with excellent musical “talent”. It also provides educational and training tools for keyboardists and guitarists. It’s easy to use the basic functions, and challenging enough to keep you occupied for years. BIAB provides education, inspiration, a “live” band to aid in practicing, and anything from backing tracks to full performances for recording."
-Sound-Guy, www.gearslutz.com

How I Use Band-in-a-Box® to Create Shots/Chops

Band-in-a-Box® user Henry Clarke creates a lot of great songs with Band-in-a-Box®, and he's shared his steps for creating the shots/chops within his recent song Lonely in a Crowd.

To watch Henry's video, click here.

Have your own program tip to share? Feel free to post it to our Tips & Tricks forum.

#TipTuesday

Uncommon RealTracks Instruments for Band-in-a-Box®

Today is Uncommon Instrument Awareness Day.

Examples of "uncommon instruments" include anything from Spoons to the Wheelharp to the Singing Ringing Tree, and more!
(there's probably more instruments out there that we DON'T know than we DO know)

Although our RealTracks collection doesn't include many 'uncommon instruments', we do offer some pretty unique choices!

On top of the usual varieties we offer for Piano, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Clarinet, Bass, Tuba, Trumpet, Trombone, and more - our RealTracks library also offers a nice selection of Shakuhachi and Kalimba - there's even a Koto RealTrack included in Set 212!

Kalimba: RealTracks Set 271
Koto: RealTracks Set 212
Shakuhachi: RealTracks Sets 193 & 212

What's the most surprising RealTrack Instrument that you've come across?

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Portuguese for Windows is Here!

Existem mais de 50 novos recursos no Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Existem aprimoramentos no RealTracks (RealTracks vocais com som mais suave, RealTracks Engrossados, Substitutos de RealTracks e MultiFrases). A maioria dos RealDrums agora possui RealCharts (com notação de bateria precisa). Há um novo navegador de artistas do RealTracks para encontrar informações/biografias/links/listas de RealTracks em todos os artistas. Um novo Navegador de recursos permite que o usuário novo ou "esquecido" encontre e use facilmente a maioria dos recursos/teclas de atalho/documentos em uma única janela. Equalizar Tempoaprimoramentos na Seleção de Músicas, baixo/bateria ou apenas bateria nas introduções automáticas, 3.400 títulos adicionados, aprimoramentos no MusicXML, visualização de guitarra para "Canhotos" e "Estudantes", aprimoramentos de arrastar e soltar, exibição de várias janelas do Interpretador de Acordes de Áudio e muito mais!

COMPRE/ATUALIZE, & BAIXE AGORA!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Mac Update Ready!

Just because Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac is here doesn't mean we've forgotten our 2019 users!

If you're still using Band-in-a-Box® 2019, make sure you download the latest patch update (b324) for an updated splash screen (macOS 10.12 and 10.13 users), smoother Song Titles dialog, access to your (purchased) RealTracks Set 328, and we've corrected the reported issue with opening songs from older versions of Band-in-a-Box in the 2019 version.

Learn more about this patch and download it here.

Review - Loops-with-Style PAK 2 for Band-in-a-Box® 2020

"Dr. Dave" Walker is at it again! You may remember his recent reviews of both Band-in-a-Box 2020 for Mac and Xtra Styles PAK 9 - now he has something to say about our Loops-with-Style PAK 2 - check it out: Click here to read...

With money being tight for most musicians, this is a wonderful gift for those on a limited budget. At $29, it offers months and years of fun and experimentation, bringing many ideas to fruition as songs with enough variation so that your audience doesn’t jump to "aw, that's a computer!" while still keeping the power of the software in your hands.
-"Dr. Dave" Walker

Thank you again Dr. Dave for the great review!

Learn more about Loops-with-Style PAKs: Windows | Mac

Band-in-a-Box® - My New Favorite Thing

Did you know we have a My Favorite Things forum? We encourage you to share your favorite features in Band-in-a-Box and RealBand there, along with what features you use the most and why - we LOVE getting feedback!

Like the latest post from Tangmo:

My New Favorite Thing - Extra Style PAK #9 with Loop Pack #2

I set up an eight bar progression with some simple pushes, shots, holds, and rests for reference. Then I started auditioning styles--Three hours later, I am invigorated, inspired, and just plain smiling big. Really CHOICE! From "down to earth" to eclectic, this is a really fun pak.

Great job, folks!

Thanks Tangmo!

Learn more about Loops-with-Style PAKs: Windows | Mac

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs: Windows | Mac

Forum Stats
32607 Members
68 Forums
65527 Topics
555589 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Royston, SwingBand, Gretsch6120SH, momoko12, LeadLady