Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Very good song. Great arrangement and vocals.

Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
Focusrite 18i20
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Rhythmically reminds me of Sweet Home Alabama, but definitely nothing sweet in this song, dark but familiar story. Great arrangement and mix, nice acoustic intro, organ fits perfectly and the solo guitarist is the final icing on the ca... bottle. A snap at 3:17, soundcloud addition, perhaps?

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd

Really great build, captivating, and immediately memorable.

Excellent lyrics, vocal, and song structure a really enjoyable thoroughly professional song.

The bass followed the song really well was it a RT?
Also wondering about the guitar that starts at 1.34 playing a riff not credited - one of the loops?

Superb.

Peter
(who did the artwork?)

Peter - thanks for the nice comments. Both the bass and the riff are loops - been fiddling around with more loops lately to help get a few new sounds and to conjure different writing styles - gives me "something new" over just picking up my guitar (which tends to end up similar chords patterns over periods of time).

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Good tune, a bit dark but not too much. Jim Beam line is great. Vocal and mix is outstanding as always.

Appreciate that...thanks!

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Floyd this is a stand out piece, You had to have put a good bit of time on this, But it shows in the quality of it all.

Nicely done.

Thanks

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

User Showcase
W
Expert
Expert
W
Floyd Jane, you are exceptional! I am not talking about production values here. but more about the way you compose, the way you just always make a completely fitting and convincing arrangement and composition for your lyrics... it is truly unique... I just love the way you work with music (even if you work in completely different genres from me)!

Will

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
As frequently happens with an FJ song, I copied a few lines I wanted to paste, and quickly realized that they didn't stand out (like pulling a 7 footer off the NBA court before you realize they're all that size)!! Just an excellent, excellent write!! A dark, poignant lyric and a haunting melody! And Floyd, how does someone who's been in music forever get better at singing in their 60's? Damn!! Great stuff!!! Take care. Greg

Thanks, Greg!! You made me feel 7 feet tall!! smile

I've lost a few notes from the top of my range (you should have heard me when I was 24...)...so I have to make up for that somehow... smile

User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Excellent lyrics with numerous vivid outstanding lines...
Strong delivery...
Wonderfully simple mix...
With nothing getting in the way of your poignant vocal...
I really enjoy listening!

Jim
†=☮&♥
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Floyd, what a picture you painted with these lyrics! The overall sound of this song is at the top of your work that I have heard! It has such a beautiful feel to it....everything here is sitting in the perfect place to my ears!! That chorus is over the top great! Thanks, Torrey

Torrey - thanks for that very nice review. (Your new one is killer!)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very cool vocal Floyd. Boy does your backtrack ever stand out as well. All the instruments so well balanced but all identifiable. The guitar was very cool as well.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Outstanding use of BIAB. Powerful song. Great lyrics. Vocals convey the message of the song peferctly. Good one!

And thanks for listen and comments on my song. I appreciate it.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Ah! Those hangover days. Aching head and heart.
I see you have both. Great production.
Really enjoyed my listen Floyd.
Thanks for posting. Rob4580

Thanks for listening, Rob...

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
This song really hit me in the feels. There was definitely a depth of emotion to this particular song that I really enjoyed. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

"...really hit me in the feels." Ember, that is a great line!!

User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
Floyd,

Love the clean guitar opening, then followed by that shaker in the left ear. Terrific vocal on this (as usual). Catchy chorus, with a sweet harmony behind. Really crisp throughout—and, wow, that lead guitar solo. Might be on of my favorites from you (among many). Awesome track!

My humble regards,

Deej

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

Since you were in my hometown Haarlem, you make only good songs!
I'm glad you make songs concerning pain and sorrow, because you're at your best then. No, I'm joking.
I really like this one about your hangover. You better use Havanarum or red wine (still joking).

What I like even more than your good songs is the bright way they sound. I'm convinced you can learn me something here...
So, I have nothing to complain about, or give you advise in (except the rum). You made a very good piece of work here!

Thanks for that,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Floyd,

The band and build of this edge-of-darkness song is a thing of beauty... a little British folk in the acoustic moving into Southern rock by the time the organ comes in.
A fine,slightly restrained vocal that suits the mood of the lyrics.... very professionally produced,of course!

Robert

I appreciate that, Robert...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bluage
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

Have at it.

fj

Mr. Jane:

"Have at it." "Have at"...what ???!!! What could anyone "have at" this song of yours, Take The Pain Away ???

I deliberately, intentionally, purposely, never, ever read other listener's comments on a Users' Forum member's song post, because I do not want anybody else's thoughts and opinions to influence my own. But in this case, because your song rendered me literally speechless upon listening to it for the first time, I abandoned the above-stated rule and chose a statement by another listener, "robertkc", to fill in for my temporary loss of words:

"The band and build of this edge-of-darkness song is a thing of beauty..."

Obviously, you are one of the most prolific songwriters on the forum, and if being prolific could offer anything to other songwriters that they could use to sharpen their craft, then Take The Pain Away would be an outstanding, peerless example of how staying on a steady path while working towards a goal -- songwriting, in this case -- will eventually lead that hard-working, midnight-oil-burning songwriter to produce songs that are, as 'robertkc' illuminated, things of beauty.

The brevity of the song's duration only serves to point out the economy of expression you employed in the song's construction. The lyrics go straight to the bleeding heart of the drama in the song, as swift and as unrelenting as heartbreak causes tears to flow from the eyes of the one whose heart has been shattered. The PAIN described by the title is as immediately felt as a knife wound. You're not playing around, here, Mister. Not. At. All. The suffering is so real that even a person who had not experienced such hurt could feel it simply because of the empathy that the words and the music plant in the listener's heart.

Those Real Tracks you selected were waiting for you to put them in a song in which they could reveal their power as musical accompaniment for your anguished lyrics.

It would be too easy for me to say that this song 'is one of your best', but I believe that would be the wrong thing for me to say, and only because, as far i'm concerned, you've been producing your 'best' for as long as I've participated in this forum.

LOREN

A delightful review. Thanks for that, Loren...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Before we get to the goodness of the song in it's totality we'd like to
point out that this mix is over the top good. The soundstage and
the dynamics are as good as anything we listen to...and we listen
a lot.

OK, some specifics:

From our perspective the tune is square in the middle of our
Americana wheelhouse and you sing the heck out of it.

Your mashup of BiaB and the loops is outstanding. The drums
and the bass line are immediately attention getting in a
very good way.

Any songsmith can write a heartache song. Very, very
few can write one like this. As Janice said you can immediately
feel the darkness.

"i find myself wonderin'
why the hell the sun came up today
you'd think that someone would know better
and make the damn thing go away"

Janice laser beamed in immediately on how powerful
that verse is.

Just when one thinks the mr jane bar couldn't be
moved any higher....

J&B

PS Nice album cover too!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like the sparse instrumentation you start the song with, especially the lone acoustic. This is my favorite melody I have heard from you. It evokes a haunting melancholy mood. Masterful lyric writing!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Hi Floyd

Like Greg said, one shouldn't cut and paste lines when they're all so good, but I'm going to anyway.
I was particularly taken by this stanza (and the way you sang it):

i find myself wonderin'
why the hell the sun came up today
you'd think that someone would know better
and make the damn thing go away

All up, yet another beautifully written and performed song.

Regards,
Leon

Leon - Thanks! Always nice to have a guy who write well quote some lines... smile

Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Dear Floyd,

the first thing I noticed was that brilliantly sounding mix - so bright, so clear.

And it's a good song, too (wouldn't have expected anything else...), the music captures the mood of the lyrics very well, and it's being sung jusrt 'floydish' (which I would like to propose to include in the synonym dictionaries as another word for 'extremely well-sung').

All the best,

Stefan

Stefan - "floydish"... HAHAHA!! That's great! Thanks...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Chris37
Hi Floyd,
Your song is very well built.
Each instrument is in place when and where it is the more efficient. Your voice takes us in your universe. Christian

Christian - thanks for stopping by and having a listen...

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195