You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#565476 - 11/22/19 07:51 PM [User Showcase] The Narcissist's Wife
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Online   content
Expert

Here's a song built from the ground up with BIAB.
I started with a couple of chord progressions and the lyrics, (rejected by a couple of potential users because of the theme).
Chord sequence placed in BIAB and a full arrangement built in there.
I then, slowly, replaced the BIAB guitars & bass with my own playing to get the sounds/riffs I wanted.
Stephen accepted the challenge.
The vocals have been manually de-essed using a pre-fx volume envelope. In the choruses I opted for a send parallel vocal track set up with overdrive and a flanger & blended with the original to give the vocals a boost & some grit.
Vantage Bass, Fender Squire Bullet Mustang, Fender 12 string acoustic, super cheap spring reverb pedal and some handy Marshall Cabinet impulse responses helped liven things a little. I also double tracked the arpeggio guitar - one set DI & the other mic'd amp.
BIAB Real Drums, organ & Ahhs remain from the build process.
I HOPE to have a real solo by next week.
Mixed and augmented in Reaper.
https://soundcloud.com/rayc/narcissistswife-pygmy-beat-extended-featuring-stephen-smith

Mixes WITH SOLOs.
1st guitar as played by my co-writer from 76 - Eric Drabwell...
https://soundcloud.com/rayc/narcissists-wife-guitar-pygmy-beat-extended-featuring-stephen-smith-eric-drabwell

2nd BIAB CELLO solo...
https://soundcloud.com/rayc/narcissists-wife-cello-pygmy-beat-extended-featuring-stephen-smith
I used two lots of compression as well as overdrive on the cello to help it cut through a thick mix.

AND, just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water ... a version with BOTH...
https://soundcloud.com/rayc/late-october14combosolo

THOUGHTS?

Lyrics...
The Narcissist's Wife
The man who keeps his powder dry
And neither smokes nor drinks
Will have you plead for hard relief
With just the way he thinks.

The narcissist’s wife.
She
She lives alone
Despite his presence in the house
His word
Cuts like a knife
Despite his calm
She
Knows he isn’t
Cut close to the life
Of the narcissist’s wife

His foreplay has been perfected
Scripted blow by blow
Each moan or cry in place
The wife tells friends it’s so.
Each moan or cry
The wife tells friends it’s so

The narcissist’s wife.
She
She lives alone
Always
Plays the jack-knife
Despite his charm
She
Knows he hasn’t
Cut close to the life
Of the narcissist’s wife

solo

The narcissist’s wife.
She
She lives alone
His word
Cuts like a knife
Offhanded harm
She
Knows he means it
Cut close to the life
Of the narcissist’s wife

The calm impassive voice
Of a man who wields power
Who knows he can make you
Never to have existed
Within the subsequent hour.
Never to have existed

Cut so keenly close to life
With just the way he thinks

Music & lyrics by Stephen Smith & ray cochrane

Edited by rayc (11/25/19 06:01 PM)
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#565523 - 11/23/19 03:36 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Narcissist's Wife [Re: rayc]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Clever writing as usual, Ray! I like the way you change that chorus each time.

Good vocal by Stephen.

Looking forward to hearing it with the real solo.

Blue Attitude Website

#565580 - 11/23/19 07:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Narcissist's Wife [Re: rayc]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
ray,

What an INTERESTING write!

The tracks form a perfect bed for the lyric and melody.

A really good mix. Everything blends well. A treat for the ear.

fj

#565649 - 11/23/19 10:15 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Narcissist's Wife [Re: rayc]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Ray,
The lyrics are original and grab attention- glad you found an unsqueamish vocalist- and he does well with a cool, surprising set of changes.
Really like the instrumental sequence at 2:30 and those ringing guitar arpeggios throughout.
I`m ready for the solo now.

Robert

#565720 - 11/23/19 02:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Narcissist's Wife [Re: rayc]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: Missouri
Ray, everything you come up with has such interesting twists and turns in it and in this case, it's the melodic changes in the chorus! It's a highly memorable and enjoyable melody sung in excellent fashion by the vocalist! Very good production and performance Ray! Thanks, Torrey

#565730 - 11/23/19 02:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Narcissist's Wife [Re: rayc]
Loc: Virginia USA
Ezekiel's Storm Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Virginia USA
I too like the ringing guitar! Interesting lyrics--makes me wander what was unacceptable with earlier drafts. Sound a little Bowie-esque.

#565892 - 11/23/19 09:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Narcissist's Wife [Re: rayc]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Online   content
Journeyman

Loc: Maryland
Intriguing, has that 'wish I knew more about this' thing like a lot of short stories I read have. Singer is good! Sounds like some artist I used to listen to but my musical past is too vast now to identify who. Youtube and Spotify have compounded that problem.

#565907 - 11/23/19 10:37 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Narcissist's Wife [Re: BlueAttitude]
rayc Online   content
Expert

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Clever writing as usual, Ray! I like the way you change that chorus each time.
Good vocal by Stephen.
Looking forward to hearing it with the real solo.

Thanks Dave,
I'm easily bored so writing changes into a chorus keeps me busy.
There's a draft solo done but I think I need to do a little timing correction in a spot before I post it.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#565908 - 11/23/19 10:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Narcissist's Wife [Re: floyd jane]
rayc Online   content
Expert

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
ray,
What an INTERESTING write!
The tracks form a perfect bed for the lyric and melody.
A really good mix. Everything blends well. A treat for the ear.
fj

Thanks fj,
I was a little worried mixing the organ prominently in the choruses but, in the end, it seems to work.
I'm pleased your like the mix.

Edited by rayc (11/23/19 10:46 PM)

#565909 - 11/23/19 10:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Narcissist's Wife [Re: Robertkc]
rayc Online   content
Expert

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Ray,
The lyrics are original and grab attention- glad you found an unsqueamish vocalist- and he does well with a cool, surprising set of changes.
Really like the instrumental sequence at 2:30 and those ringing guitar arpeggios throughout.
I`m ready for the solo now.
Robert

Thanks Robert,
I can understand someone being uncomfortable with the topic but it's one of those things that needs to be discussed.
Solo will be SOON.

#565910 - 11/23/19 10:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Narcissist's Wife [Re: Torrey Bliss]
rayc Online   content
Expert

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Ray, everything you come up with has such interesting twists and turns in it and in this case, it's the melodic changes in the chorus! It's a highly memorable and enjoyable melody sung in excellent fashion by the vocalist! Very good production and performance Ray! Thanks, Torrey

Torrey,
As you know - I have no melodic sense at all but for this one I'd managed to sort the phrasing out pretty well and that lead Stephen to the melody.
Thanks again.

#565911 - 11/23/19 10:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Narcissist's Wife [Re: Ezekiel's Storm]
rayc Online   content
Expert

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I too like the ringing guitar! Interesting lyrics--makes me wander what was unacceptable with earlier drafts. Sound a little Bowie-esque.

The ringing guitar is a direct result of buying a cheap spring reverb pedal: it gave me the initial impetus for the song.
The lyrics were only very slightly changed for this version so hold true to the theme. A couple of folk were uncomfortable, understandably so, singing about sexual violence & spouse abuse.
Thank you for your kind comparison.

#565912 - 11/23/19 10:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Narcissist's Wife [Re: TuneMonger]
rayc Online   content
Expert

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Intriguing, has that 'wish I knew more about this' thing like a lot of short stories I read have. Singer is good! Sounds like some artist I used to listen to but my musical past is too vast now to identify who. Youtube and Spotify have compounded that problem.

Tunemonger,
A vast past has left you aghast?
Hopefully it sounds a little like Pygmy Beat as well.
Thanks.

#565922 - 11/24/19 01:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Narcissist's Wife [Re: rayc]
Loc: Germany
Crossroads Offline
Expert

Loc: Germany
Hi Ray, hi Steve,

what a write - can't even imagine who that song's all about... smile. Very interesting chord progressions - not easy to find a fitting melody in some parts, but Steve, you really did well.

Great rich sound (as we would always expect from you, Ray) -I was thinking on what I was reminded: Scott nailed it: bowie-esque. Ray, I do envy you for your ability to work with all that tech-stuff - it really pays off.

Great production.

Best regards,

Stefan

#565968 - 11/24/19 06:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Narcissist's Wife [Re: rayc]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I really like the way you captured the darkness of the underlying theme.

Interesting chord progressions that worked well to further exemplify the story being delivered.

Moreover, the ending certainly indicated that there is 'no end in sight' for the situation.

Definitely well portrayed.
BIAB&RB2019(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#566005 - 11/24/19 09:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Narcissist's Wife [Re: rayc]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Expert

Loc: Texas
Good lyrics from you & Stephen Smith...
Dark but good...
And I genuinely enjoyed the chord progression on this piece...
I believe It heightened the melodic structure & lyrics of your song...
All in all a very nice collaboration,

#566012 - 11/24/19 10:04 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Narcissist's Wife [Re: rayc]
Loc: Nashville Tennessee
Teletwanger Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Nashville Tennessee
Great song. Great performance. Reminds me of Ziggy Stardust era Bowie. Excellent.

#566017 - 11/24/19 10:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Narcissist's Wife [Re: rayc]
jptjptjpt Offline
Apprentice

Big sound. Very Ziggy, which is very cool. Great use of BIAB as a foundation. BIAB is a great tool. Great instrumentation that you added too. Excellent mix.

I like it!

#566062 - 11/24/19 01:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Narcissist's Wife [Re: rayc]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
The title certainly begs the question of how a narcissist could gain a wife smile
I must confess that even given my background in clinical psychology I can't figure it out!

The write is brilliant. The message creatively comes across with just the right
amount of subtlety.

The fine instrumental and vocal performances are wrapped up in another of
your room filling mixes...outstanding.

We enjoyed it and look forward to the next version...

J&B

Check out our BiaB SoundCloud songs!
J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website
Our album "All Over The Map" is on Apple Music, Spotify and others.

#566151 - 11/24/19 08:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Narcissist's Wife [Re: Crossroads]
rayc Online   content
Expert

Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Ray, hi Steve,
what a write - can't even imagine who that song's all about... smile. Very interesting chord progressions - not easy to find a fitting melody in some parts, but Steve, you really did well.
Great rich sound (as we would always expect from you, Ray) -I was thinking on what I was reminded: Scott nailed it: bowie-esque. Ray, I do envy you for your ability to work with all that tech-stuff - it really pays off.
Great production.
Best regards,
Stefan

Thanks Stefan,
My minimal skills come from some excellent tutors in a couple of forums.
You're very kind in your assessment of the song.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
49 of Your Problems Solved with Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows, there are 50+ new features, 202 RealTracks, and more!

We get ideas for the new features and new RealTracks from program users- there are several sources: our Wishlist and general forum, support phone calls, trade shows, etc. In most cases, customers are not describing a new feature – they are describing a problem they have that they would like to have solved.

This is a list of our features and additions in Band-in-a-Box® 2020, presented from a unique perspective. It is from this customer list of "problems they would like solved." These are not exact quotes, they are paraphrased from our discussions with our customers. They explain what problems and requests they discussed with us, that resulted in the various new features and RealTracks. Hopefully this answers the question "why did you add this feature/content?"

So, without further ado, here are the 49 requests/problems that we (hopefully) have solved with the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2020: click here to review.

50 New RealStyles included in Loops-with-Style PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box®!

Loops-with-Style PAK 1 is a new library of 100 original loops that we've created using RealTracks/RealDrums source material, and it includes 50 new RealStyles!

Click here to listen to audio demos of the new RealStyles included with Loops-with-Style PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box®.

ON SALE UNTIL DECEMBER 31st! Save over 30% when you purchase during our special - add Loops-with-Style PAK 1 to your collection today for just $19! Click here for more information.

New! Loops-with-Style PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box®!

A brand-new Band-in-a-Box Add-on is HERE!

Loops-with-Style PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 (and higher) expands your loops collection with 100 new loops! Click here to watch our video demonstration.

We've taken the RealDrums and RealTracks source audio and remixed, remastered, and combined it to create these original loops. All of your favorite genres are covered, like jazz, funk, rock, pop, electronic, hip-hop, and more! To show them in action, we've created 50 new RealStyles that each include two of the loops. Plus, if you use the loops in Band-in-a-Box, we've included intelligent versions of the loops that automatically switch at A and B part markers. Each loop has a matching sister loop that works perfectly for another substyle!

ON SALE UNTIL DECEMBER 31st!

Save over 30% when you purchase during our special - add Loops-with-Style PAK 1 to your collection today for just $19!

Click here for more information. Mac user? This new Add-on works for you too! Click here for Mac.

Video - 202 New RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows®!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2020, we've added 202 new RealTracks! These include great Americana, Gospel Vocals, new Blues, Country Pollwinners, Bossa Flute/Horn sections, Jazz Blues and Rhythm Changes, British and Hazy '60s guitars, Modern Funk, Island Grooves with steel drum and marimba, Singer-Songwriter, and more!

Get the newest RealTracks Sets 329-352 when you purchase the PlusPAK upgrade (ideal for 2019 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+ customers) for just $99 during our special (reg. $129).

Want the entire RealTracks collection with over 2,900 RealTracks? They are included with any Band-in-a-Box 2020 for Windows UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Check out this video, which demonstrates the newest RealTracks Sets 329-352.

New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Add-ons are Here!

Just released for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac: Xtra Styles PAK 8 and Loops-with-Style PAK 1!

We've added 164 fantastic new RealStyles in Xtra Styles PAK 8! These are imaginative new combinations of our existing RealTracks library that fall into four categories: Rock/Pop 8, Jazz 8, Country 8, and Celtic 1. To celebrate the release of Xtra Styles PAK 8, ALL of our Xtra Styles PAKs 1-8 are on sale for just $29 each! Learn more & listen to demos here.

Also brand-new is our Loops-with-Style PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box®, which gives you the chance to expand your loops collection with 100 new loops! We've taken the RealDrums and RealTracks source audio and remixed, remastered, and combined it to create these original loops. All of your favorite genres are covered like jazz, funk, rock, pop, electronic, hip-hop, and more! To show them in action, we've created 50 new RealStyles that each include two of the loops. Plus, if you use the loops in Band-in-a-Box, we've included intelligent versions of the loops that automatically switch at A and B part markers. Each loop has a matching sister loop that works perfectly for another substyle! Get started with Loops-with-Style PAK 1 for the introductory price of just $19 until December 31st (reg: $29). Learn more & watch a great video demonstration here.

Note: Xtra Styles PAK 8 and Loops-with-Style PAK 1 require the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 or higher UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2020 - Everything you need to know in under 6 minutes!* (plus the 49-PAK!)

It's HERE! Take a quick tour of the just-released Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows when you check out our latest video:
Band-in-a-Box® 2020 - Everything you need to know in under 6 minutes!* (plus the 49-PAK!)

Read more about this new version here, and check out our amazing upgrade pricing (up to 50% off during our special!) here!

Great New Content in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows®!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows is here! Limited Time Special Offers Until December 31, 2019 - SAVE up to 50% on most Band-in-a-Box® version 2020 for Windows Upgrade packages... and that's not all! When you buy version 2020 for Windows before December 31, 2019, we'll include a Bonus PAK full of great new Add-ons FREE!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020, Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 2020 and RealBand 2020 - Over 50 new features!
- We have information about the program here.
- Specific information about the features is here.
- Ordering and info about the pacakages and pricing is available here.

Plus, there is a HUGE amount of new content...
- 202 new RealTracks, description and audio demos: click here.
- Xtra Styles Set 8 for Band-in-a-Box®, (description and video demos): Learn more...
- Loops-with-Style Set 1 for Band-in-a-Box®: product description and video demo.
- Bonus PAK full of great new Add-ons FREE! Learn more...
- Bonus 49 Pak (with 40 RealTracks)! Learn more...
- 2 new MIDI SuperTrack Sets - Learn more...
- 280 Drums RealCharts (previously had only 22, now have transcriptions for half of all of the 600 audio RealDrums)
- 5 Instrumental Studies Sets - Learn more...
- Two new all MIDI styles sets "Look-Ma! More MIDI" Sets 3 and 4 (30 MIDI styles) audio demos: Learn more...

Plus,the Online (or PDF) manual for the full program, or just the new features, are available here.

Forum Stats
30578 Members
63 Forums
61191 Topics
516729 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
podling9, Jimmy S, Sylle, aibagllo, Padgett

30578 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 294
Matt Finley 231