Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
An excellent melody, narrative & arrangement.
the best part for me, other than your voice, is the bass: I really like the way it works through the verse and preps for the chorus.
Stellar.

Thanks, Ray. The bass is a loop and I used it "as is" - no extra processing - it just seemed so "present" as it was...

Originally Posted By: sslechta
Nice song FJ! Loved it. The shakers throughout the song were a nice touch. I really like your ability to tell your story through vocals/lyrics. As others said, very well produced. Keep 'em coming sir!

Steve - nice to have you drop in on one of my songs... as I recall, you are not a fan of Country (or the singer-songwriter thing...)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
...as I recall, you are not a fan of Country (or the singer-songwriter thing...)

More-so on the Country part... smile

I still like to hear an awesome recording though, and you have a very high standard on yours.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice work. Good lyric write and the tracks are spot on. I really like the harmonies in the chorus.

Yep...a good one.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Floyd !

Been away too much and when
back what do I hear, one of the
absolute best tunes you´ve done !

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Top shelf Floyd - the song, the band, the vocals, the sound!
I think we can all identify with the sentiments in your song, still, you make it sound so fresh.
You had me from the first verse: Rhyming "throb" with "so jim beam didn't do his job".
Cheers,
Mike

Mike Garry
BIAB 2022 (Build 927)/RealBand (5) (64bit), UltraPak, Kontakt, EZmix, Ozone 9 Elements, Hybrid 3, Audacity, Acer Predator, Windows 10, 64bit, 16GB ram, CPU: Intel i7.

https://soundcloud.com/user-952388172
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I really am not sure where to start. I know for a FACT, I am going to leave something out.

1st off-This is my favorite song from you. That's been said a lot, but I have a specific reason for it. I absolutely love your songs that are built with a story. You are a master of that; and have done it more times than I can count. This song is not that style of writing.

To me pretty much everything about this song is you going in a direction that is different. The entire song sounds new. That being said, it also sounds like you've been writing this way for years.

With this style, trying to say a lot without the lyrics doing it can be a challenge. Then it turns more to interplay of phrasing with every element. It relies MUCH more heavily on orchestration and arrangement in a way that really builds. That argument could be made for many genres of music; but to this is essential. It's not only building instrumentation for the sake of adding emotion to a song. It focuses much more on keeping the ear interested as well. However, you don't want it to be distracting. It shouldn't take you out of the song.

All of that being covered (like you didn't know it) brings me to the finer points :

Your vocal fits this perfectly. There's some great emotion to your singing. It's haunting, which I love.

The interplay between the vocal melody and guitar parts are fantastic! There is a groove that's established that compliments and supports the vocal as though it were written specifically for this song.

The picked the perfect real band styles to make it sound real. By no means does this sound like it's out of the box.

Those drums are placed and chosen so well that I sat here thinking "Yeah. That's how it's done." Looking forward to every fill. The entire time thinking it was just a really well played part. Great choice. The sound of the drums was excellent as well.

The shaker, the organ, every part building to keep interest and bring the song forward until the final few measures. What a great way to bring it back down to the essence without it just having a blunt ending. The release was a truly great choice in my book.

Man, I could go on and on; but at the heart of it I am really drawn to this song. I love the mood. I love the groove. I wouldn't change a thing. Ok, I would maybe lower the shaker slightly when it first comes in. That would change nothing; but at least it's not all compliments all the time. wink

Thank you for not only sharing this; but writing this. Is a new direction that I'm really liking. The cool thing is; there's room for the new creations along with the others. I hope you had fun with it!

(Spoken into my phone, so I'm positive there will be errors. Just had to post something about this great song.)

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
User Showcase
W
Expert
Expert
W
Very nice track! The music and lyrics just works very well together.
Enjoyed listening to this!

Thanks for sharing!
Will

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Really nice work on this one - really sincere in it's delivery, and your vocals are top notch on this one. I love the instrumentation as well - it all flows tremendously well. Thanks for sharing smile

Deryk - always nice to have you drop by...

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Hi floyd,

This is my new favorite from you I think. I wonder how many times I've said that over the last few years?

Everything is just "right" about this.

Great opening with just the acoustic and vocal. And then the build in dynamics adding the shaker then the bass (great bassline), and holding off on the drums until the chorus. Obviously a lot of thought went into the arrangement, and it paid off big time.

Love your vocal, and great writing too. Favorite line "so jim beam didn't do his job".

Really, really good, floyd!

Dave - I do appreciate such a flattering review... If I could make every new song your "new favorite", then how could I ever complain about that!!! Thanks for your continued support...

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Impressive track - well written!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: cliftond
There is nothing about a hangover that I miss. HA, Enjoyed this one Floyd, your harmony carried well in the background, that little shaker stands out in a nice way also. Cliff

Thanks, cliff...

Originally Posted By: Marty Ricciotti
Dear Floyd.
My goodness you do an awesome job with your songs.
And you cover such a wide range of topics and do it so well.

This song sure brought back old feelings and I'm so glad to not have had any whiskey for many many years.

Thanks for what you do here in this forum.

I have this vision of you toiling away every day in the studio working on several projects at the same time.
Gotta be some thing like that going on to have so many great tracks on this forum.

Marty - thanks for all of that. I do spend a good deal of time working on music... writing is most important... but production is a close second... it's my "happy place"... smile smile

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I'm late to the party and everything I wanted to say already has been said. IMHO this is one of if not your best to date. But it seams I say that after hearing every song you sing!

I do have one question for you, how in hell can you keep coming up with winners after winners? Your songwriting, instrumentation, and processing skills are second to none.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Teletwanger
Very good song. Great arrangement and vocals.

T - thanks!

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Rhythmically reminds me of Sweet Home Alabama, but definitely nothing sweet in this song, dark but familiar story. Great arrangement and mix, nice acoustic intro, organ fits perfectly and the solo guitarist is the final icing on the ca... bottle. A snap at 3:17, soundcloud addition, perhaps?

Janne

Thanks, Janne. I did not hear that snap until you pointed it out. I believe it is a bad edit on my part - the cut to add that last chord strum... I'll fix it (but won't re-load)...

Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Floyd this is a stand out piece, You had to have put a good bit of time on this, But it shows in the quality of it all.

Nicely done.

Thanks

Thanks, beatmaster!!....

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,

This song is truly awesome! I love the country-rock feel...

Your vocals are always superb and your lyrics put the listener right in the scene.

Loved it all!

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Floyd Jane, you are exceptional! I am not talking about production values here. but more about the way you compose, the way you just always make a completely fitting and convincing arrangement and composition for your lyrics... it is truly unique... I just love the way you work with music (even if you work in completely different genres from me)!

Will

Will - what a nice thing to say...not the "usual"... I really appreciate that...

Originally Posted By: Jim
Excellent lyrics with numerous vivid outstanding lines...
Strong delivery...
Wonderfully simple mix...
With nothing getting in the way of your poignant vocal...
I really enjoy listening!

Thanks, Jim. Good to have you back around...

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool vocal Floyd. Boy does your backtrack ever stand out as well. All the instruments so well balanced but all identifiable. The guitar was very cool as well.

Scott - thanks for your continued support. And thanks for mentioning the solo guitar (which you often do). Getting that "right" is always something I strive for - and BIAB almost never lets me down in that regard (although it does sometimes take a while to get the pieces to fit just right).

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Outstanding use of BIAB. Powerful song. Great lyrics. Vocals convey the message of the song peferctly. Good one!

And thanks for listen and comments on my song. I appreciate it.

jpt - thanks! Nice to see ya in the Showcase!! Been a long time...

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Floyd,

Love the clean guitar opening, then followed by that shaker in the left ear. Terrific vocal on this (as usual). Catchy chorus, with a sweet harmony behind. Really crisp throughout—and, wow, that lead guitar solo. Might be on of my favorites from you (among many). Awesome track!

My humble regards,

Deej

Thanks, Deej...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Floyd,

Since you were in my hometown Haarlem, you make only good songs!
I'm glad you make songs concerning pain and sorrow, because you're at your best then. No, I'm joking.
I really like this one about your hangover. You better use Havanarum or red wine (still joking).

What I like even more than your good songs is the bright way they sound. I'm convinced you can learn me something here...
So, I have nothing to complain about, or give you advise in (except the rum). You made a very good piece of work here!

Thanks for that,
Hans

Thanks, Hans...

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I like the sparse instrumentation you start the song with, especially the lone acoustic. This is my favorite melody I have heard from you. It evokes a haunting melancholy mood. Masterful lyric writing!

I appreciate that, Scott...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Before we get to the goodness of the song in it's totality we'd like to
point out that this mix is over the top good. The soundstage and
the dynamics are as good as anything we listen to...and we listen
a lot.

OK, some specifics:

From our perspective the tune is square in the middle of our
Americana wheelhouse and you sing the heck out of it.

Your mashup of BiaB and the loops is outstanding. The drums
and the bass line are immediately attention getting in a
very good way.

Any songsmith can write a heartache song. Very, very
few can write one like this. As Janice said you can immediately
feel the darkness.

"i find myself wonderin'
why the hell the sun came up today
you'd think that someone would know better
and make the damn thing go away"

Janice laser beamed in immediately on how powerful
that verse is.

Just when one thinks the mr jane bar couldn't be
moved any higher....

J&B

PS Nice album cover too!

HAHAHA! I'm so accustom to you guys being a part of my music, I nearly skipped over this without a response... Thanks for pointing out the write!... AND the mix...AND the genre...

I noticed early that I forgot to respond to Peter's question about the art work (album cover - HA!)... It was done by a guy who worked with my wife - after we had gone on a rafting trip down the Chattooga - Section 4 - of "Deliverance" fame...(I provided entertainment around the campfire that night).

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: sslechta
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
...as I recall, you are not a fan of Country (or the singer-songwriter thing...)

More-so on the Country part... smile

I still like to hear an awesome recording though, and you have a very high standard on yours.

smile

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Nice work. Good lyric write and the tracks are spot on. I really like the harmonies in the chorus.

Yep...a good one.

Thanks, Herb...

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Floyd !

Been away too much and when
back what do I hear, one of the
absolute best tunes you´ve done !

Cheers
Dani

Good to see ya, Dani....

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Pro work, as usual. smile

Love this line:

our final moments coming back to me
so jim beam didn't do his job

But I'm disappointed you didn't use this rhyme:

take it any way you choose
all I know is I need some booze...
wink

When I saw the title of the song, I thought How do you write a song about a hangover?

Of course, I'm asking the wrong question.

Because it's about why there's a hangover, and the answer is a broken heart, of course.

Thanks for showing me how it's done!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G)
Top shelf Floyd - the song, the band, the vocals, the sound!
I think we can all identify with the sentiments in your song, still, you make it sound so fresh.
You had me from the first verse: Rhyming "throb" with "so jim beam didn't do his job".
Cheers,
Mike

Mike - thanks for the listen. (I kinda dug that rhyme, too...) smile

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,455
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195