Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RealBand
jonel Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi All,
Let me start by saying I really do love the features that RealBand offers me foe songwriting (when its not frustrating me that is).

I am considering whether to upgrade to 2019, although I'm not that sure it's worth the move from 2017. But I have a load of things that simply keep putting me off. I do realise that this might be my own setup configuration and hardware, so I'm not out to get at RealBand, but I would like some other opinions, surely more than me gets at least some of this behaviour?

1. To start off, there is just the habit of just frequently crashing while it is being used.

2. Sometimes I will save a song that has been selected as an SEQ, but forget to put the actual SEQ extension. When I have done this and try to open the file, it is not visible in the file dialog (I have to go in separately and add the extension). If I forget that I have saved the file without an extension and subsequently save the file WITH the SEQ extension, I get the dreaded 'Error has Occurred' message. That reminds that I have to go and rename the file to add the extension.

3. Sometimes when I insert a RealTrack I will get the little timer circle (normal) but then the timer circle disappears and I can't do anything, I keep getting beeps each time I try to click on something. It's as if the program has crashed. But, it is really just waiting for me to select a RealTrack from the file dialog which is not visible on the screen. After many fails at this I discovered that by using Alt-Tab I was able to get to the dialog and select the file.

4. If I have at least one audio track in my song and I attempt to change the tempo then I get a message that the Sample Rate is being changed, but this never finishes - another crash. I have to get around this by deciding on the tempo before I lay down any audio tracks.

RealBand has been around for a long time now and issues like these should really not be occurring. So I'd be grateful for any feedback so that at least I can point the finger at myself.

Thanks

John

RealBand
Expert
Expert
none of these problems trouble me so maybe i'm just lucky. al the problems i've had with RB have been operator error solved by posting on this forum! except the DI problem for Guitar realtracks and that is a known bug..........

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I'm going out on a limb.
They don't happen to me either 2019. I do however some of those issues in 2017. I THINK 2017 went to build 4 but RB 2017 was broke beyound 2 or 3. Try going back to an older build.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
1. I do not get frequent crashes. A crash is pretty rare here.

2. I have never experienced this. If I select SEQ format it has alsawys saved as a .seq extension, and wav format as wav, etc. That said, there is a newer option added in this area in the last year; there is now a checkbox to set 'Default to SEQ format when saving a file'.
I don't understand how it could save a file without an extension. I've never seen that at all.

3.This was an issue for a couple versions. As you've noticed the Alt-Tab method works (as do others) as a workaround, but I feel like this was fixed over a year ago.

4. Sorry, I don't get this one either.
One thing I do know is doing this process creates a whole bunch of temp files in your Temp Audio directory.
Why? Because you can Undo it, and RB needs all those original chunks to revert to.
Not sure if that helps or provides a clue but thought I'd mention.

I just performed this action (tempo change) on a song with 9 RTs and it created 44 temp files. (Note that I had generated various sections on some tracks so I had lots of audio 'chunks' scattered around those 9 tracks).
If your Temp Audio directory is getting full or the drive is being overworked, maybe it lags too much (?)
I dunno. Just guessing, as I just don't see this result here.
Your Temp Audio directory can be set to any drive available, maybe that will help or eliminate some possibilities.

I'd also consider John's suggestion and try previous updates for 2017 as a test. Maybe a previous build will play nicer on your machine.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jonel
I am considering whether to upgrade to 2019

Hi John,
If history repeats itself, there may be a 2020 version soon. It may even have special pricing. This is all only a guess, I have absolutely no evidence, but Santa often pops up his head at PG Music in December wink

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
RealBand
jonel Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thank you rharv for your detailed reply. This is exactly what I was looking for and clearly there is an issue from my end.

When I first started to get these problems I looked for a RealBand update (I'm embarrassed to say that I don't even know what 'build' my version is or even where to find it).
I thought it might have been part of the BIAB update, which I did download and apply but there was no reference to RealBand there.

Thanks again

John

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Your build is shown under Help - About Realband in the top menu

RealBand
jonel Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks, but try as I might, the box tells me it's RealBand Version (2) but no build information.
For my BiaB though the information is Version 2017 (471) where I assume 471 is the build number.
But I'm guessing that any RealBand updates will be part of the 471 buils anyway.

RealBand
Expert
Expert

hi

Originally Posted By: jonel
Thanks, but try as I might, the box tells me it's RealBand Version (2) but no build information.
For my BiaB though the information is Version 2017 (471) where I assume 471 is the build number.
But I'm guessing that any RealBand updates will be part of the 471 buils anyway.

You will find that Realband update builds do not come as part of biab updates.
Go to the Realband forum page and you will see the latest update at the top for the current version
My installed version shows as version 2019 (5) under about.

For the latest update for earlier versions go to:
Support (Top of page)/ Widows updates/Realband

Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
RealBand
jonel Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks Mike. Got it, updated. Didn't solve the problem unfortunately, but I think I'm on the path.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Well to just answer the question in the post - Yes. But I stopped using it long ago because of this so things might be different today. I just felt you needed a simple answer to a simple question. crazy

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

RealBand
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I have been through the same with RealBand and eventually gave up and this gave birth to ReaTrak, it integrates Biab and the Biab Plugin into Reaper.

RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
When RB is setup right it rocks I used it exclusively for about two years. It was solid I did have a few crashes but usually it was related to trying things it didn’t do or pushing it to fast. For the singer songwriter type it’s hard to beat.

Detail your setup and maybe something will jump out.

2020 is right around the corner I would upgrade then.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Also, pre-2018 (and in the initial release of 2018 until it was fixed) had an issue where it did not properly save files that may be deep into a file folder tree (the Windows limit of folder plus filename length is 260 characters; RealBand and PowerTracks limited it to 128 characters). This caused me all sorts of problems, as I manage my hard drive space using a lot of file folders with descriptive names.

Don't know if that is part of your problem, but I ended up with a lot a crashes (especially when I went one character over the limit). After it was fixed, I almost never have a crash.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
RealBand
jonel Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Yes, jford, I am absolutely convinced that this IS one of the problems with my saving files but oddly it only really happens with the custom dialog. I wasn't aware of that limit I, too, have some quite deeply nested folders.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Do you have 'Log File Names use custom open/save dialogues' enabled?
May also want to check the 'Open and Save As dialogues remember last folder independently'
These are both in Options-Prefs-File section.

RealBand
jonel Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
My Long file names use custom dialog is currently not enabled, this is what started off the problems I was having. I will nest my projects back near the root and have another go at using this feature (it was great to use Favorites but the box was small and couldn't be expanded so my long filenames disappeared off to the right of the box making the feature useless. So I guess it was never designed for very long file names!

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Since version 2018, you get the full 260 characters (folders plus file name).

And if you happen to save your songs under "My Documents", remember that is actually a shortcut to:

"C:\Users\UserName\Documents"

so that's around 27 characters right there before any other folders and/or file names.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
RealBand
Apprentice
Apprentice
I had a lot of crashes too so I stopped using it.
I think the crashes were related to the fact that RB is 32 bit and the file sizes were getting to be aver 500Mb.
Must have been hitting some type of RAM limit on my old hard ware.
Another this was that wanted to try out some plugins and see what was so great about a plugin that I had read about.
I had to jump thru all kinds of hoops to try to get them to work with little success.

So then I heard about Cakewalk by Bandlab.
I moved my project to it. Spent some time to learn a bit.
No crashes and no issues at all to try out a plugin.

Later I heard about Reaper.
Found the tutorials at Reaper.fm to be very very very easy to follow, interesting and informative.
After the 60 day trial I bought it for $60.
No crashes. 64 bit. all plugins run with no effort. great support. awesome training.

Reaper does not load all of the files into one file.
The reaper file is very small.
If you browse to the folder you will see lots of files. every audio take etc stays external.
you can undo to your hearts content.
Save is very fast because only the new areas get saved. not 500mb every time you hit save.

Your mileage may vary, but that is my story

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
You didn't read about JBridge on the forum? It's ten bucks through PGM. Then all of your plugs play perfectly in RB. Plus none of those DAWS can do what RB can right out of the box. Now, I'm just talking about problems with RB crashing. I understand there are other legitimate reasons to use other DAWs because you like their workflow, features, the overall look, etc but if the reason was you couldn't make RB work, then that's incorrect.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,392
Posts732,471
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195