#567551 11/29/19 11:43 PM
Beginners Forum
J
johne1 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
It would be nice if I could include a walking bass line between 2 chords. I'd like the first chord to sustain ringing, while the walking bass line is moving underneath it. I tried creating this using a comma followed by a slash chord, but that loses the essence of a moving bass line under a stationary ringing sustained chord. The chord is struck each time it appears in the song in BIAB.

The best I've been able to do is create the baseline by entering chromatic chords, alternating between major, minor, and dim chords, etc.

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Would doing the song two times work. Once where you have the chords (no slash) then again with the slash. Export the first version (no slash) then export the bass only on the second (but you might find other snippets in the second worth keeping. Then pull the parts into a daw and slice and dice.

Just a thought
Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Beginners Forum
J
johne1 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
That's certainly something to try. Thank you!

FYI, since posting these 2 questions a few minutes ago, I'm now exploring Notation in BIAB. Entering the notes on the sheet music might be my simplest solution. After I learn how and try it, I'll come back and post my results.

Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
You can have the bass line follow a completely different chord progression by freezing each mixer channel except the bass channel. With the other instrument tracks frozen, modify your chord chart for the bass to follow and regenerate. Only the bass track will regenerate. This method also allows multiple regenerations of the bass (or any other track set up this way) track to get the bass line you want.

An example that will do what is requested in the original post is perhaps in measure 4 in your project is populated with | G... for a hold and you want the bass to continue playing without holding. All instruments hold and ring out as the bass completes a walking progression.

Do this:

Generate your song normally including all instruments.

Freeze all tracks except Channel one - Bass

Modify measure 4 with | G,F,EM,G progression replacing | G...

Regenerate the Bass track and it will play the new chord progression and all the other instruments will play the hold.. .

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 11/30/19 02:18 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
You can have the bass line follow a completely different chord progression by freezing each mixer channel except the bass channel. With the other instrument tracks frozen, modify your chord chart for the bass to follow and regenerate. Only the bass track will regenerate. This method also allows multiple regenerations of the bass (or any other track set up this way) track to get the bass line you want.

An example that will do what is requested in the original post is perhaps in measure 4 in your project is populated with | G... for a hold and you want the bass to continue playing without holding. All instruments hold and ring out as the bass completes a walking progression.

Do this:

Generate your song normally including all instruments.

Freeze all tracks except Channel one - Bass

Modify measure 4 with | G,F,EM,G progression replacing | G...

Regenerate the Bass track and it will play the new chord progression and all the other instruments will play the hold.. .

Charlie this is an excellent tip. You should put this in the tips forum.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<<< Charlie this is an excellent tip. You should put this in the tips forum. >>>

Done.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Beginners Forum
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes, great tip, I've done bass runs this way and it's brilliant when it works.
Unfortunately, BIAB can randomly play notes in a different octave, so you may need to regenerate a few times to get it right, if at all.

Vintage

Beginners Forum
J
johne1 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Charlie, thanks!

This method has other possibilities, I take it. So, if I want to change the chords and leave the bass line alone, I do just the reverse? Freeze the bass track and regenerate the new chords and instruments?

I have to get a handle on regenerating tracks to pull this off, but I'll let you know how I do. The popup tip on the regenerating and playing button says that it will even overwrite frozen tracks, so I need to understand better how this all works.

Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< This method has other possibilities, I take it. >>

Absolutely. The possibilities are as long as your arm. Yes, you can do the reverse and freeze the bass track and regenerate new chords and instruments.

The fail safe for a track to remain exact and not regenerate is to select the track; Right click to open menu; Select Track Actions; Select Save Track as Performance File. This converts and saves the track as an audio track (WMA or WAV). The track is safe from regeneration and the track will be colored orange and renamed.

This Performance Track can be erased from the same menu.

As Vintage noted, on rare occasions you may not be satisfied with the first or first few generations. The fix possibilities are again, as long as your arm. Fixes not only include regeneration (2020 version now supports multi riffs) but older versions of BIAB offer additional fixes too. Fixes range from replacing the original instrument with another instrument for a few bars, use midi or a live overdub are just a few of the options.

Hope this helps and let us know how things work out for you.

Beginners Forum
J
johne1 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Thanks, Charlie!! All great information. I really appreciate you spending the time to share all that info. No doubt, countless others will be helped by this, too. smile

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
This is all correct info but Real Band easily does all this and more. RB is much better suited for this because it can generate all the same Biab tracks and it has 48 tracks to work with. You can do everything discussed here on a track by track basis. Change style, only highlight the bars you want, use multiriff to generate 7 different versions ot any RT at the same time. Since RB is a DAW, you can import midi tracks too. Check it out.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Beginners Forum
J
johne1 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Thanks for all that info! Unfortunately, Real Band is only available for Windows users, correct? I'm running BIAB on a MacBook Pro laptop. I do have the latest Studio One Professional to help out.

The main reason I'm not doing it all in Studio One is because I'm teaching myself to play piano, so there's no way I'll play the changes anywhere near as good as BIAB. It's a great cheating tool for making professional quality backing tracks; at least that's my expectation. I can lay my guitar solos, etc. over top. Also, the drum tracks are a huge help for me in BIAB. I can read and write music EXCEPT drum tracks. I'm hoping BIAB will be a good tool to help me learn to read and write drum tracks.

Last edited by johne1; 12/02/19 09:20 AM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199