Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Some neat ideas here! I think to do it user friendly and logical a mixer has to be "open" to possibilities.

Mario +10!!!

VideoTrack,
Yes, logicaly sound.... but having a "freeze" option on individual regenerated track would allow to use the segment on particular bars or not simply by going to "bar option" and do mute/unmute thing. It would solve many requests in "one" feature.

For that to happen "easy" way, for user that is, re-generations should reside in individual "subtracks" of the mixer. Clearly visible and available for Mute/Unmute/Solo/Freeze operation. So it does not take too much space, collapsible? In the same way you showed a concept of collapsible mixer some time ago.

Pipeline,
Why on the bottom? Why not Sub-tracked to original mixer track they were generated from? And as I mentioned in "wishlist" request, do these "regenerations" on request. One click "+" gives you next regeneration in sub track, leaving original (or previous) in place. For example
2962: organ, rhythm...
Next Regeneration would be created as subtrack with name lets say:
2962: R1 organ, rhythm...
2962: R2 organ, rhythm...
etc.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
VideoTrack,
Yes, logicaly sound.... but having a "freeze" option on individual regenerated track would allow to use the segment on particular bars or not simply by going to "bar option" and do mute/unmute thing. It would solve many requests in "one" feature.

As mentioned, I only provided my thoughts on the 'basic' form of operation. Yes, there are many additional possibilities.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Some interesting ideas here. My biggest fear as I have stated is that major changes to the program could cause years of smoothing out and more and more problems. I have heard from so many people here regarding frustration of bugs and problems that rock on for years not having time or resources to fix in the program. To me this is a whole can of worms just waiting to be opened.

Okay so one wants to stay in BiaB and not leave to a DAW. In order to accomplish this. The program would need far more that just a few extra audio tracks. It would need a true mixer with FX busses, convenient routing. Far better implementation of plugins, better looping and comping tools. Basically it would need to be completely changed into a full figured DAW with everything that a DAW has. Why? Because if it didn’t people would keep asking for more features, more options, more upgrades. Eventually the core program as we know it now and as thousands of others use it would slowly cease to exist.

To my thinking a far more practical approach is to refine the programs available and not totally replace them. We have BiaB with full DAW implementation. It’s called RB, now before anyone says but RB is a little bit shakey, let’s imagine what if RB received a complete make over instead of BiaB rebuilding RB adding to its already rich feature set, better routing, better plugins, solid 64 bit audio engine, unlimited tracks, a more flexible mixer view, modern GUI, a simple one button movement to send a file from BiaB to RB seamlessly without closing one program and opening another. Like an auto open/close feature.

Imagine RB if functions, had the features, and looked like a top flight DAW like a studio one, Cubase, Cakewalk, Reaper. Leave BiaB to do what it does best build a track base, play before full generation. Handle simple but complex arrangements, and leave the tracking, mixing, and mastering to a true DAW.

The reason I propose this is it keeps PGMs release cycle intact. Allowing for BiaB to have some minor upgrades or basic core feature refinements each year for both win and Mac. It allows the developers to continue to add really cool content of RTs, RDs, etc. the company thrives financially, but uses resources to, on the side put a small team on RB and make it what everyone has wanted for years a true companion to BiaB. A rich deep Powerful, stable, DAW that rivals the biggies, yet has all the BiaB power behind it. Bar to bar regen, multiriffs in multiple places, Unlimited RT/RD/midi features. Layer type comping, rich full featured automation of everything.

If this happens to BiaB instead we risk a complete disruption of the core program and maybe several years of major issues as the program is rewritten. RewriteRB instead it doesn’t exist for Mac and this could be implemented as well. Those who use it can use the existing version. The new version can come along with out pressure. Take a whole year for a team to develop it.

Let the plugin be refined to the point it is stable, and solid and has all the basic features working, for those who choose to work in third party DAWs.

Just my thoughts on a plan that would keep all users happy. And give PGM a solid path.

Last edited by Rob Helms; 12/09/19 05:14 AM.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Veteran
Veteran
Rob, I agree that keeping BiaB as BiaB and not a DAW is paramount.

I also agree that RB could stand an upgrade. BUT if RB has all of the bells and whistles of a full DAW like Studio One, Cubase, Reaper, etc, will consumers be willing to pay for those upgrades? If one has to fork out $100 to $400 USD for RB might they be better getting an already established DAW?

As far as BiaB goes I am a firm believer that it needs a major rewrite. I should include all open tracks for user discretion, include real time signatures other than just 2/4, 3/4 and 4/4, etc, while keeping its main function of a backing track generator. Sure it may take some time to work out the bugs but IMHO that would be better then continuing getting 50 new features while ignoring what is wrong with the program now.

For the record I am not a BiaB hater. In fact virtually all of my songs start in BiaB. BiaB is the second most used music program in my arsenal, with Studio One being used more.

YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I would agree with A rewrite if it didn’t upset the annual release cycle as that is what helps PGM survive. Another approach is to not rewrite but slowly pound out all nagging bugs in the program rather 50 new features amp up the RT/RD program. But I hear ya.

Last edited by Rob Helms; 12/09/19 07:39 AM.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
R
Hi Charlie,
Please explain how you did this within BIAB.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rob Helms
I would agree with A rewrite if it didn’t upset the annual release cycle as that is what helps PGM survive. Another approach is to not rewrite but slowly pound out all nagging bugs in the program rather 50 new features amp up the RT/RD program. But I hear ya.

Yes, this would be ideal for sure. My take is, whether right or wrong, is that the program's code is so old that it really can't be changed. Doing so may be like trying to put Lamborghini engine in an old Chevy Nova, it ain't gonna work! If things like opening up all tracks, adding different time signatures, etc, were easier I would have thought they would have been done by now.

Maybe PGMusic could work on a rewrite and instead of a new 50 feature upgrade they could issue new RTs, RDs, and MIDI stuff that would work on the previous years program. We get new stuff and they get to continue working on a rewrite.

YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Guys!!! We are making this far more complicated than it needs to be!!!

First of all, this is NOT the thread to talk about new time sigs or true mixers or complete rewrites of Realband! SHEEEESH! When you start talking about all that then, yes, it starts to be overwhelmingly huge!

BUT, if we bring the conversation back to MultiRiffs, or better yet, forget MultiRiffs and just focus on bar-by-bar regeneration, this becomes a WHOLE LOT EASIER to accomplish without anything even approaching a full rewrite of BIAB!

Below is a simple way to add bar-by-bar regeneration using the BIAB code that already exists and no new channels or anything new that is complicated.

1) let me choose a single track for regeneration - BIAB already has the ability to only generate one track as I do it all the time by freezing every track except the one I need changed. and BIAB already has the mechanism to select a single track at the top of the screen.

2) let me select bars for regeneration - BIAB already allows us to select bars for various reasons so that code is already there

3) set an Undo flag here and store state

4) generate only the bars selected on only the selected track - BIAB can be coded to regenerate only those bars (OR an even simpler way would be to regenerate the entire track in memory and then splice the new bars into the proper place in the original track after the complete track is regenerated. BIAB already knows how to generate a complete track!)

5) let me hear the changes - BIAB already provides all of this functionality because the track at this point is simply a BIAB track!

6) provide an undo capability to revert back to the the state in step #3 above if I don't like the result and even pre-select the bars so I can easily roll it again!

This approach would require very little new code and absolutely no special new features. It would also be extremely fast since only a small section of a single track would be generated each time I roll.

From a workflow standpoint this would be super smooth! I just create my BIAB song, select the track and bars I want regenerated and then click the Regen button a few times until I hear what I like! Super easy and fast!

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
One improvement to the above would be to track the riffs BIAB assembled during a regen session so that subsequent regens in that session do not bring back the same set of riffs. This would ensure each time I click the Regen button during a regen session I'd get something new.

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 12/09/19 09:43 AM.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I think after the big 32 > 64 write a total re-write will be down the track away. But the bar to bar re-gen that has been requested for years would be good to see, when I used RealBand all the time this is what I used endlessly as it was so simple just highlight the bars (or beats) of the track and re-gen.
A lot of users prefer Biab over RealBand because the tracks are generated direct to RAM so it's instant, but we may just get that feature in the Biab Plugin now.

Here's a way that the current MultiRiffs can be improved, with just a bit or programming.
:
Here's the flow if you're in a current song:
1. When you select MutiRiff, it will ask if you want your master
(all unmuted tracks) for the MultiRiff Audio guide track.
If so BB will render it to stereo wav with Audio muted. BB will save current song frozen.
2. The rendered Audio master will be loaded into the MultiRiff session. A riff will be chosen by soloing or selecting in a dialog.
3. The current song will be restored, frozen tracks loaded back into ram and the Selected Riff will be brought back into the Audio track.
4. If a section needs a re-gen or new section added it will go back into MutiRiff again, gen that section.
5. Back to original song it will paste or paste overwrite the new section into the Audio track.

Full Screen

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
I just wanna select my track and bars and hit the Regen button. Then I either accept or try again. That's it!

Veteran
Veteran
You're right. I got off track on this thread and I apologize for that.

I agree that a bar by bar regeneration as you described is an option that I would like to see.

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: MarioD
You're right. I got off track on this thread and I apologize for that.

I agree that a bar by bar regeneration as you described is an option that I would like to see.

No problem at all Mario! There are so many improvement opportunities it is easy to do!

I am quite impressed with all of the thought everyone is putting into this feature but I cannot help but think we will all be better served if PGM just keeps it simple and keeps it inline. There are way too many BIAB rabbitholes to fall into! laugh

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
JJJ, dude you are right on. I got way off too. The reason being I hate the idea of super/major changes they always bring super/major issues. Simple is good. Your thoughts on bar by bar is spot on. I can see that being very powerful for BiaB users. I still think it’s time for some deep love for RB instead. I wouldn’t mind seeing RB be an upgrade cost, but only if it was upgraded to be similar to a big time DAW. Make it have deep comping, routing, unlimited tracks, advanced plugins and plugin chains like Studio one. Modern GUI and work flow.

I envision a one click button in BiaB where when you create a track bed and your ready to add personal tracks, vocals and such. Click the button and BiaB closes and a newly upgraded RB opens automatically. Allowing full DAW functions.

That and polish up the plugin to a solid complete but basic solution.

Next keep pounding out the RTs!

Veteran
Veteran
Hey J3,

Callie just posted a new video for how to use MultiRiffs at the top of this forum today.

It didn't look too hard to use. I may reference this video for when I want to use the feature. It was featured to just use on 4 bars so that was great.

Have fun!

Here it is again:

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Thanks Steve! I'll take a look.

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
I watched it and I am still disappointed at the convoluted way this was implemented! I would MUCH prefer generating in place and not being required to drag and drop WAV files into the audio channel. I saw some strangeness as well. What happened to the rest of the mandolin track? What if I wanted to keep that track and just change a few bars of it? And what happens if I wanted to change several bars on some other tracks? And how would I reintegrate all of those Multiriffs into BIAB?

It would have been far more useful if I could just select my bars and click regenerate to generate those bars only!

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I think you will see some improvements soon to make it work a lot better.

Veteran
Veteran
Guys, never mind all this talk about MultiRiffs.... An update to BIAB VST v2.1.5 has just been released. grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
The example showed using a RealTrack not in the current style but what if I want to change bars in one of the tracks in the current style?

And why did this process appear to automatically remove the RealTrack for Mandolin? Maybe I wanted that track but just needed a few bars changed?

What happens if I want to change more bars in the same track?

What happens if I want to change bars in several tracks?

Am I supposed to go and clean up the DragDrop folder? It leaves all the tracks in there so I'll have quite a mess in there pretty soon.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,632
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234
38,498 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193