Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#568077 12/02/19 05:15 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert

Hi y’all,

some of you may know that silly game 'What does it take to be a real....' when everybody tries to make up the most absurd characterizations.

When we played that game with some friends a couple of weeks ago my lovely wife Maha looked at me in an unusually merciless way and came up with 'What does it take to be a real rock musician?' Actually she didn’t even give us the chance to think of some funny answers - instead she had us immediately have a share in her suggestions:

1. A real rock musician's got to suffer from severe hearing loss! (Easy - I can even show off with a polyphonic killer tinnitus)

2. Unlike Bill Clinton he must have inhaled at least once! (C'mon...)

3. He must have written at least one 'protest song'!

Oops - there she had got me: Almost 70 and no such song at all.... But a rock musician's got to do what a rock musician's got to do, so - before I'm running out of time - I decided to write my first ‘protest song’. But how the heck do you write a protest song?

Like so often Tom Lehrer had given the answer already in 1965 when he published the song „The Folk Song Army“:

„The tune don't have to be clever,
And it don't matter if you put a couple of extra syllables into a line.
It sounds more ethnic if it ain't good English
And it don't even gotta rhyme... excuse me: rhyne!“

That sounds pretty easy, don’t you think... And I might add:

‘It don’t mean a thing, if it ain’t got that sting!’.

So I already pictured myself sitting around a camp fire with my friends (maybe on chairs - the hip, y’know...), strumming my good old Ovation I hadn’t played on for decades.

But that good old Ovation and me - we turned out to no lomger be buddies, because that beautifully rounded body of an Ovation simply doesn’t go together with a (admittedlly far less beautifully) rounded German beer belly - it simply kept slipping away.

Obviously I wasn’t meant to write and perform a good old camp fire style protest song, so thinking of a solution I remembered my old motto:

‘Writing songs? When in doubt
make them fast and make them loud!
And if fast and loud is not enough,
you can still make them sound rough.“

So - at 140 BPM, meant to be cranked up, performed by my alter ego band ‘Alternative Lies’ - here’s my first (and most likely last) protest song:

JUST FOR THE RECORD.

Video on my website (with lyrics)

Video on YouTube

Audio (on SoundCloud)

Enjoy (if you can cool )

Stefan

These are the musical data:

Key=Bb , Tempo 140, Length (m:s)=3:08

ReakStyle is _RRTWIST.STY (Rock n Roll Twist Band) using the following RealTracks

RT 1731:Bass, Electric, TexasBluesRockNRoll Ev 165
RT 2353:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm RockabillyRockNRollKevin Ev 165
RT 882:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm TexasBluesRockHighOffbeat Ev 165
RT 2352:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm RockabillyRockNRollBrent Ev 165
RealDrums: RocknRoll^02-a: Swinging Ride, b: Two Beat Cymbal

RT602:Harmonica, Soloist Train Ev 130

Vocals and that arthritic guitar solo: Me

Maha had huge fun appearing in the video and most of all working on the sound and mix. Like usually she used Realband + the following plug-ins: PGMusic Dynamics, PGMusic Reverb, EasyQ Parametric EQ and modestly mastered the song in Ozone 8 advanced.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I watched the video and that is one heck of a production. Great use of BIAB. Fun song. Great video. Well done all around.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Stefan,
That's a very good rock protest song and your guitarist fingers aren't so arthritic ! Your song is very well produced. Thanks for sharing. Christian

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Man, that's quite a write! Loved the lyrics.

"band" sounded great, as did your vocal and guitar solo (your fingers seem to be moving pretty good to me!)

Killer mix as usual, and I always really enjoy watching your videos! Nice to see Maha in there too.

Great stuff, Stefan!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Stefan,

Excellent write!

Super BAND. Good vocals. Good mix.

Terrific video. That must be SO much work...but, well worth it - for our entertainment!!

Stay Angry!

smile

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Stefan
Amazing production your videos are always superb and the amount of work in them is incredible.
Enjoyed the band guitar solo and song.

Peter

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Stefan
I enjoyed this a lot (not least because I'm similarly angry). Love the lyrics. Amazing work on the video as usual. And that solo doesn't sound at all arthritic to me.
Regards,
Leon

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
As an occasionally angry, old man and frequent curmudgeon I offer my thanks for a laugh and head bopping session.
That was a treat - well done Maha & your good self.
Most enjoyable.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
What a tune! Got my foot tapping from the get go, and I love how light hearted it is. Not only that, but the tune is terrifically well put together. The production is right on the money, and it flows effortlessly.

Thanks for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is BRILLIANT. One of the very best songs I've heard in a while on here, and the lyrics play no small part in that - but the whole concept and execution is incredible, from start to finish. That instrumental bridge with the guitar and the harmonica are as marvellous as your voice, both in quality and interpretative execution. Keep protesting - BRAVO!!!

and that's just me listening to the audio. The video made me smile (particularly the credits, haha). Well done - what a début in the genre!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Stefan & Maha
Where is Bill with his saxophone? I was getting ready to see him play sax solo on the stage.
Fantastic, seriously positive stuff! I am both jealous and inspired. A+

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Stefan,

I was in the lucky position to hear this song couple of times while you were still busy making it and that super-swell video. Before you had the video I told you what good song it is. I really love the lyrics. But -of course- your video is the piece of the cake. Very strong, funny and to the point. Still don't think the orange one will like it much. but as long as we do, the better!

I also noticed your fingers look like they play gitar, drums, keyboard daily.
But in particulair I liked the end of your movies, the credits. All kinds of Stefans and Maha's were presented there with those funny names. So from start to finish a well cared for product!
And now Maha and you must enjoy your well-earned huge beer (the German one!)

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Another smash...
Really cool music & video...
BTW...
That Orange Amp looks mighty good!

Jim
†=☮&♥
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
That is some very creative work Stefan! So many clever little changes in this! What a lyric (that had to take some time to construct)!! I love the instrumentation choices especially what you did with all the drum parts! Also those clever chord changes thrown into certain spots! Great vocal! You always bring it with every production! Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I always am happy to see your latest song on the forum list. And you did not disappoint with this one. Wow, your anger produced a deluge of clever lyrics.

"Every now and then a little lie may save your day,
but are 12,000 lies within three years still okay?"

I couldn't have said it better.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow! Bet you had some doing this.
Excellent work. Rob4580

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great write!

And, of course, fantastic production, and audio and visual treat, all the way to the end credits. smile

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
Stefan,

First off, an awesome write. Second, accompanies by an incredible, energetic, blitz of rocking music. Third, terrific vocal, killer harmonica. Wow, beyond impressed--totally appreciated the effort and talent it takes to pull something like this together. Do you play this live anywhere? It would absolutely slay the room. Great video to boot!

My beyond humble regards,

Deej

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Awesome job, vox are terrific, lyrics are a blast, the whole thing came together perfectly. Entertainment value is off the chart. Video a hoot! Enjoyed listening to this multiple times. Keep em coming.

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
E
Journeyman
Journeyman
E
This is an outstanding creation. The musical parts are hitting on all cylinders and the lyrics are just a blast, and work perfectly with the tune and the style. As others have commented this is one of the best songs that I've heard on the showcase for a while.

Now, I'm going to shamelessly break it down and hopefully pick up a few tricks from your masterful use BIAB for myself!

Ed Z

Soundcloud profile
https://soundcloud.com/user-415064494
BIAB user since 2019
iPad Mini, Garageband for iOS, BIAB for Windows 2020 UltraPAK, Xtra Styles packs 6-9, Windows 10 Lenovo PC, Kontakt Player, SpitFire LABS, SampleTank 4 CS, some Soundfonts

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thank you, jptjptjpt - glad you liked it.

Cheers,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Chris,

I know that this was not exactly your kind of music, therefor I appreciate your kind words especially much. Thank you for taking the time to watch.

Cheers,

Stefan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well Bud is older than you so he is very POed smile

Pretty cool with Duck Dunn on bass and Jerry Garcia on guitar!

The Nasty Tweet...hahahahaha! Suffice it to say that the lyric is nailed.

You and Maha are a heckuva team with the video and audio. Outstanding.
And we always enjoy her cameos and every cool second of the vid.

Great band, cool vox, harp worked well and the old fingers were fine on the guitar.

Sometimes ya just gotta say it...and what an amazingly creative way to do it!

A ton of fun....

J&B

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Dave,

this time you missed the pole position smile...

Thanks a lot for your positive comment - I really appreciate your kind words.

Take good care,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Floyd,

thanks a lot for your kind and positive feedback.

Well, if my stuff is entertaining - what more could I ask for...?´

And: Who can stay 'un-angry' these days...?

All the best,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Peter,

thanks a lot - I really appreciate your kind words a lot.

Take care,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Leon,

as I know that your lyrics are awesome I'm especially pleased to read that you liked mine - thanks a lot for everything nice you wrote.

Take care,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Deryk,

that was a really uplifting comment - thanks a lot. I passed your positive remarks on the production to Maha, and she says 'Thank you', too.

Regards,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hello James,

this is really a heckuva comment - thank you so much for that, I really appreciate it a lot. I'm really happy that you enjoyed the thing not only from a musical or humerous point of view, because, of course, the lyrics were the crucial point to me.

Have a nice weekend and all the best,

Stefan

PS: Looks like we're really gonna lose the UK - what a desaster... I fully agree with John Bercow, who said that the Brexit is going to the worst mistake that the UK has made since the war. It's so saddening to see how people let themselves get punked... Hard times...

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Misha,

we actually had hired Bill to play the sax solo, but he didn't stop eying up the crew instead of playing which we thought was - to say the least - most impropriate. Especially as the whole crew was my wife ;-)))))

Glad you had some fun watching ad listzening and thanks a lot for your positive comment.

All the best,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Hans,

since I know that we have the same opinions about the more important things I am very glad that you liked JFTR. Thank you a lot for your great and funny comment - and, yes, I took your advice and had a nice beer in the evening.

I really apreciate that you watched the vide even to the end - to be honest: Sometimes the making of the closing credits takes 10 - 15% of the whole production time. So it's nice to read that they're being perceived.

All the best,

Stefan

PS: Gisteren heb ik heel slecht neiuws van m'n cardioloog gekregen - die moet ik eerst verteren. Maar ik zal je straks wel schrijven, of misschien kan ik je ook opbellen als je dat goed vindt. Maar je mag niet over m'n uitsprak lachen - het is haast 25 jaar geleden, dat ik het laatste woord op z'n NL gepraat heb...()Maar ik zou het toch leuk vinden!) Als je het goed vind, kunt je mij je nummer mailen

Jim #569101 12/06/19 11:10 PM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Dear Jim,

thanks a lot for your kind words - I always appreciate your positive comments a lot. Let me also thank you for your comment on and subscribing to my YT channel.

Yes, I agree: The Orange amp is eye candy, and I'm going to use it in at least one more time in one of the videos I have in store.

All the best to you and your wife,

Stefan

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Great production and performance. Enjoyed watching and listening.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
WOW! What a production! So much work and fun had to go into this! Great write. Good old rock 'n roll! Loved the video!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Loved it Stefan!
Now I want to try out that style and make a tune too!

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Fun fun fun!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent protesting you angry old man smile You have written a long story, but full of truth like
"Instead of wisdom, moral and integrity,
the world is being ruled by sheer insanity."

and full of good advices like:
"If you think ‘My country first and screw the rest!’
Remember sunday school: The first shall be last’."

and references to Orwell etc.

I really admire all the effort you have put on all these words, music and that excellent video. Angry Finn - very nice surprise to see him on your video laugh

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Torrey,

thanks a lot for your very kind comment on JFTR - I always eminently appreciate your plaudits since you're such a fantastic song writer and musician.

You're the only one to mention the drum parts - took me some hours to figure out the fills the RealDrum track delivered and most of all memorize them smile. But since I do not play my drums very often (never, actually) that was a good oppurtunity to get back in that seat for a while.

Best regards,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Dear Scott,

thank you so much for your kind words on JFTR. I'm happy to see that you seem to agree with my cause...

All the best,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Rob,

thanks for taking the time to watch and listen. And of course thanks a lot for your positive comment.

Cheers,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hello Dave,

I'm really glad you enjoyed JFTR - thanks a lot for your kind and positive words.

All the best,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Deej,

wow, what can I say - that is really some kind of plaudit... Thank you so much for those terrificly kind words !!!!

No, deej, I'm not playing live anymore. I stopped playing in a band about ten years ago; since my vision has dropped to far below 10%. It's no longer fun to leave the house at all. And I'm afraid (no, I'm dang sure) I'd ruim any stage set-up within minutes by stumbling over leads and knocking over microphone stands and stuff . smile But that's the way life goes.

Thanks again and all the best,

Stefan

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Very cool Stefan!! Some great lyrics.....clever and fun! The band sounds great, harmony vocals are very nice. Good stuff all around!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow what a cool tune. Is a smoking tune. Very creative. Super vocals and awesome back track. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Wow, tunemonger, that is some kind of comment... I'm really happy that you enjoyed eberything that much and I want to say 'Thanks an awful lot' for your so very kind words.

All the best,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Ed,

your very kind words really made me blush - thank you so much for that heckuva comment.. As much as I'm flattered by your assasment: I think that there are many folks here on the forum that are far better un using BIAB than I will ever be.

And so kick away any shame - we're all learning from each other here, I think.

All the best,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Dear Janice, dear Bud,

since you two belong to my musical favorites I am always especially happy to read that you enjoyed what Maha and I do.

Yes, POed, it's a shame things make you feel that way, but even if you got a long fuse and do your best to believe in the good (and intelligence) of mankind that's what you finally and necessarily become, I think... Well, not everyone, obviously ;-))))

I'm always very happy to read that you enjoy those little gimmicks like Mahas cameos and to be honest: Every time I'm brooding over them (which usually is the last part pof the production) I ask myself: Will they (i.e. you) enjoy them?

So thanks an awful lot and take good care,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks a lot, Charlie, very much appreciated.

Take care,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thank you very much, Steve, I'm really glad you enjoyed the thing.

All the best,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks a lot, Marty. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Cheers,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks thanks thanks /dir taking the time to watch and fir your kind words).

Cheers,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Excellent protesting you angry old man smile You have written a long story, but full of truth like
"Instead of wisdom, moral and integrity,
the world is being ruled by sheer insanity."

and full of good advices like:
"If you think ‘My country first and screw the rest!’
Remember sunday school: The first shall be last’."

and references to Orwell etc.

I really admire all the effort you have put on all these words, music and that excellent video. Angry Finn - very nice surprise to see him on your video laugh

Janne

Hello Janne,

I am really happy to read that you not only enjoyed the funny side of JFTR, but obviously share some of my opinions. Thanks a lot for your very kind comment.

All the best,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very cool Stefan!! Some great lyrics.....clever and fun! The band sounds great, harmony vocals are very nice. Good stuff all around!! Take care. Greg

Hi Greg,

thank you so much for your kind words and taking the time to watch and listen. I'm really glad that you enjoyed JFTR.

Take care,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Wow what a cool tune. Is a smoking tune. Very creative. Super vocals and awesome back track. Well done

Hi Scott,

thanks a lot for your kind and positive comments - I always appreciate your opinion a lot.

Regards,

Stefan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Stefan and Maha,

That was a fantastic listen and watch! What an amazing write, stellar production and "Wow! this is incredible" video!

The creativity and the sense of unbridled fun that the two of you consistently manage to unleash in your presentations is always first class entertainment.

I can only imagine how long it takes to create something as polished as that Youtube clip.... incredible!

All the best for 2020,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
W
Expert
Expert
W
Hi Stefan,

That was a very enjoyable listen and watch (I choosed the YouTube-version). And what an international group of people... if you work close together in the future you might be able to stop the melting of ice in Greenland... I vote for you to continue your career of wicked protest songs...

Stefan, I think you are a star... Maha needs to refine her performances and maybe stop being a lazy producer (we all know they don't really do anything)... Maha, come forward and sing for us together with Stefan...please... please...

Happy New Year to both of you! smile
Will

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Ray,

... I was absolutely sure that I had written a thankyou-reply to your very kind comment, but when I just controlled the thread I saw that I hadn't. Please forgive me - obviously 'angry' is not the only adjective that fits old me... frown

So thanks an awful lot - positive comments from your side are always especially welcome !!!

Seeing all those terrible videos of the bush fires we, of course, think a lot of our Australian forum friends hoping that they and their families and friends are not affected by this desaster- And, of course, we all hope that it will be over soon, even though the latest reports don't give much hope.

All the best,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Dear Noel,

what can I say? Your very kind comment on JFTR did not only make my day, it definitely has the potential to make a whole week.

Thank you so much for evrything you wrote - I hope I won't disappoint you with the forthcoming productions.

All the best to you and yours for 2020, and as I just wrote to Ray: We do hope that our Australian forum friends are not affected by those terrible bush fires. And we do hope those incredibly brave fire fighters will manage to blow them out soon.

Take care,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Will,

thanks a lot for your very kind and most humorous words that really made me grin for a while. Glad you liked the song and, of course, there is still some wickedness inside of me, but I think I will prefer to come up with some nicer songs at least during the next months.

Of course I passed your plea to that lazy girl of mine smile - since she's still not that healthy she will have to stick to less excentric parts of our production (which fit her mentality more anyway), but I am sure there will be times (and I do hope they'll come soon) that she will be more of a stage hog than she is now.

Dear Will, all the best to you and yours and thank you so much for your continuous support of what we are doing. To me it's the support of a person who really knows a doggone lot about music, so it counts at least double!

Take care,

Stefan

User Showcase
B
Expert
Expert
B
Dear Mr. Stefan Nachtsheim...

I just listened to your steam-rolling 'protest' song, Just For The Record. Would you believe that I'm (almost) at a loss to begin relating to you how fantastic I think the song is??? Well, it's true, Stefan. You blindsided me with this one. I'm almost speechless, but not speechless enough to at least try to convey my utter amazement and wonder at what you have created.

Where do I begin? The lyrics are as ingenious and stinging as they are humorous and charged with the force of moral truth-telling. The music generated by the Real Tracks is like an express train hurtling down the tracks, leaving the listeners with only two choices -- jump on, or get the hell out of the way.

I love the intro, with that driving, exciting, 'Shaft'-style stick work on the drums, followed by the wailing harmonica. And that vocal track! You deserve some kind of award for delivering a such of torrent of lyrics/words with such amazingly accurate timing and phrasing. It made be feel out-of-breath! Obviously, you are a skilled singer. The vocal harmonizing in the chorus is energetic and quite thrilling.

I couldn't make out clearly your contribution to the mix through your guitar playing, but since I didn't hear anything played off-key, or off-tempo, I guess you must have played it quite well cool !!!

'The Smothers Brothers' would have loved to have had you perform this song on their long-running show, which as you may remember was regularly censored by the show's combative producers at CBS who felt that the brothers' comedic sketches and songs were too progressive and too disrespectful of the 'conservative' status quo at that turbulent time in American history, the 60's.

Any old way, I believe you've revived a musical tradition -- the 'protest' song -- in a musically exciting and potently descriptive way. As the American writer, Evelyn Beatrice Hall (1868-1956) so famously said, "I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Power to the people, Mr. Stefan Nachtsheim smile !!! And, please, post those lyrics cool.

LOREN

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
User Showcase
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Good Morning Stefan

A most entertaining and captivating song indeed.
As a relative newbie to BIAB, I was fascinated by the video and the song script, production and final product was absolutely fantastic.

The Intro and the Harmonica, oh wow and the angry Croation! Excellent and this song will always be on my visit list for inspiration

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Dear Loren,

what can I say - your unbelievable comment really knocked me to the floor... Thank you so much for that wonderful plaudit. I'm very happy that you enjoyed the song that much and I do hope I won't disappoit you with what I will come up with soon.

Your very kind words mean especially much to me, because I know that you've made a lot of extremely fine tunes and have a lot of expertise.

So thank you very much again and all the best for 2020.

Take good care,

Stefan

PS: Since you asked me to post the full lyrics - here they are:

Just For The Record

In the late sixties there was something in the air,
the smell of freedom, love and peace and the smokes young folks would share..
They thought that they could change the world more than just an bit,
get rid of racism and violence and hate and all that [*****].

Some were Hippies, looking quirky, but their aims were good,
What’s so funny about love and peace and brotherhood?
Some were just fed up by the smugness they felt then,
Wouldn’t toe the line, those ‘angr young men’

Every now and then a little lie may save your day,
but are 12,000 lies within three years still okay?
Instead of wisdom, moral and integrity,
the world is being ruled by sheer insanity.

Yes, times have changed, but not the way we’d thought,
Let’s face the facts: Our plans have come to naught.
Yes, I was one of those angry young men,
Just for the record: Now I am an angry OLD man.

Now I’m not sentimental and I just don’t care
that that Hippie look is gone along with most of my hair.
But I’m missing a few things we thought that we might need
Like equality of all folks despite of color, race and creed.

I’m not keen on living like they lived in the past,
but we’ll have to drop some comfort, if we want the rest to last.
Here’s to all those who think the eath is still on sale:
If you want to go on breathing, better learn to not inhale.

It’s obvious, so you won’t need much intuition:
Hate speech’s become already part of our oral tradition !
If you think ‘My country first and screw the rest!’
Remember sunday school: The first shall be last’.

Yes, times have changed, but not the way we’d planned,
Looks like our dreams were just castles made of sand.
If they think they can screw our lives, just because they can
This is for the record: Now I’m an angry OLD man.

It’s amazing how some guys these days can break the law,
without - figuratively spoken - getting one in the jaw.
All animals are equal, isn’t that what we were told?
Ha, the pigs are still more equal, and that’s all she wrote.

You don’t have to be a commie to know things won’t end well for sure
If the rich are getting richer while the poor foliks just stay poor.
Is changing the perspective really so hard to do?
Just don’t do to others what you don’t want them to do to you.

The latest trend in leadership is a sensation,
Narcissism is the new main qualification.
Empathy and candour are not in demand,
While unscrupulessness and brutality are grand

Yes, times have changed, but in the wrong way
Believe me that I’m getting angrier from day to day.
Let’s all brace up, we need a new plan,
This is for the record: Now I’m an angry old man.

Yes, times have changed, we’re in a mess it seems.
Ain’t it about time to exhume our buried dreams?
Let’s get loud the way that we were then.
We’re lots of angry women and lots of angry old men

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi WobblyGString (that nameis a killer !!!!!!!),

I'm so sorry that I missed your very kind and supportive comment - shame on me !

I'm really happy that you liked the song and the video that much and I'm really flattered and humbled by your very kind compliments - thank you so much for them.

All the best,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi WobblyGstring ,

I had to return to your post even if it were only to write your terrifuc name again... cool

If you're interestes in any more songs and videos of mine you can find them here:
http://www.nachtsheim.de/BJN/BJN-Videos.html.
They're sorted according to their release date, and the first ones were still pretty 'normal', but they soon got ... eh ... weirder...

If you ever need any info on e.g. a video effect or anything else you'd like to know more about, don't hesitate to contact me.

Take care,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Don't let the [*****] win! Great production, powerful song, not lacking humor, but that's always been the case. Loved it.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
You write such clever lyrics! Great Song!

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Tangmo,

oh no, we won't let them win - at least in the long run. Though things are pretty depressing at the moment...

Thanks a lot for your kind words, I'm glad you likerd and enjoyed JFTR.

Take care

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Tommyc
You write such clever lyrics! Great Song!

Thank you, Tommy, glad you liked it.

Take care,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Man, that's off the hook!
What a great production.

You are quite a talented, creative person.
I've done a few "protest songs" but none....with such fun.

EXCELLENT!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Stefan ...

Wie gewöhnlich verspäte ich mich zur Partei. Aber ich bin erfreut, angekommen zu sein. Als ich in Deutschland lebte, hatte ich einen sehr guten deutschen Freund von Idar Oberstein, wer verrückt ganz häufig wurde. Ich nannte ihn immer einen 'Launischer Alten Bussard'! Er war ein wirklich guter Freund, aber er hatte seine Momente!

Ich liebte das Lied und das Video. Du und Maha sind so talentiert. Das war so viel Spass, um zuzusehen. Ich würde glauben, dass es verlangt, dass sich viele Wochen der Arbeit zum Video versammeln. Aber was ein Vergnügen es für uns Zuhörer ist!

Wir hoffen, dass die Gesundheit von Maha fortsetzt sich zu verbessern. Die Gesundheit von Di ist ein wenig besser.

Wir wünschen Euch alles das sehr gut ist. Sie sind sehr liebe Freunde Di und mir. Am besten Wünsche.

Alan

Last edited by Al-David; 03/12/20 07:10 AM.

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Man, that's off the hook!
What a great production.

You are quite a talented, creative person.
I've done a few "protest songs" but none....with such fun.

EXCELLENT!

Hi Cap,

thanks a lot for your very kiond comment on JFTR - I really apreciate your words a lot!

All the best to you and yours and most of all: Stay healthy!

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Stefan ...

Wie gewöhnlich verspäte ich mich zur Partei. Aber ich bin erfreut, angekommen zu sein. Als ich in Deutschland lebte, hatte ich einen sehr guten deutschen Freund von Idar Oberstein, wer verrückt ganz häufig wurde. Ich nannte ihn immer einen 'Launischer Alten Bussard'! Er war ein wirklich guter Freund, aber er hatte seine Momente!

Ich liebte das Lied und das Video. Du und Maha sind so talentiert. Das war so viel Spass, um zuzusehen. Ich würde glauben, dass es verlangt, dass sich viele Wochen der Arbeit zum Video versammeln. Aber was ein Vergnügen es für uns Zuhörer ist!

Wir hoffen, dass die Gesundheit von Maha fortsetzt sich zu verbessern. Die Gesundheit von Di ist ein wenig besser.

Wir wünschen Euch alles das sehr gut ist. Sie sind sehr liebe Freunde Di und mir. Am besten Wünsche.

Alan

Dear Alan,

once again it was stunning to see how good your German still is - thanks a lot for taking the time and the inconvenience for writing that long e-mail in German.

Aside of the fact that these have become terrible times with the worst still ahead I hope that Di and you are in - at least comaparably - good heakth and that you have the chance to stay off the streets as often as possible.
We are facing kind of a lockdown over here, but the number of infections nevertheless doubles every three days. If the pandemic doesn't get stopped one way or another soon the world will not be the one we've known until now.

Thanks a lot for your very kind and flattering comment on JFTR - I am always especially excited to read your comments !!!!!

Maha is still (or again)in a really bad shape these days - sometimes it's hard to not lose optimism but we just have to be patient.

My dear friend - Maha and I wish Di and you all the very best from the bottom of our hearts - please stay healthy and keep on delighting us with your favulaous music.

All the very, very best,

Stefan

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,582
Posts734,694
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200