Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#568561 12/04/19 03:26 AM
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Reaper finally made it to V6. Free upgrade to anyone who had bought V5, $60 for anyone who bought V4. I'm going to wait until the dust settles before doing the upgrade, right in the middle of a couple of projects at the moment.

REAPER 6.0 is available, with the following updates:
+ Defaults: enable Live FX multiprocessing by default
+ Defaults: enable track record monitoring on new tracks by default
+ Defaults: set volume envelopes to fader scaling by default
+ Dynamic split: add preset support
+ Dynamic split: overhaul and improvements to algorithm and gate handling
+ Dynamic split: retain settings after canceling the window
+ FX: allow embedding some plug-in UIs into track and mixer control panels
+ FX: support embedding UIs for ReaEQ, ReaXComp, ReaComp, ReaSurround, and graphical JSFX
+ FX: add preference to display FX list on right side of FX chain window
+ FX: add preference to display add/delete buttons above list in FX chain window
+ Import: handle WAV and AIFF (Apple Loops) files containing transient information similarly to REX files
+ MIDI editor: display and edit CC/velocity as dots and lines, CCs as linear and curved envelopes, similar to track envelopes
+ MIDI editor: add note-type buttons to default toolbar
+ MIDI editor: add option to display note length in velocity lane
+ MIDI editor: add option to move bank/program change events with notes
+ MIDI editor: add preference to automatically reduce CC events when drawing
+ MIDI editor: combine note properties and event properties into one modeless dialog
+ MIDI editor: add mouse modifiers to reset CC/velocity to default values
+ MIDI editor: make default CC event and CC lane mouse modifiers more like default envelope behaviors
+ MIDI editor: repopulate raw MIDI data display window when switching active media item
+ Main window: support positioning track control panels on right side of arrange
+ Media import: properly adjust length of imported media with embedded tempo when crossing project tempo changes
+ Media import: support adjusting media based on tempo suggested by filename
+ Media items: add new "Beats (auto-stretch at tempo changes)" timebase
+ Media items: add action to add stretch markers at project tempo changes
+ Media items: add action to recalculate automatic stretch markers at project tempo changes
+ Media items: add action to convert embedded source media transient information to transient guides
+ Media items: optionally create transient guides on import for media with embedded transient information
+ Media items: support calculating playback rate from user-supplied tempo or length in beats
+ Media items: when copy/pasting items with stretch markers, preserve the original play rate
+ Menus: very lightly refresh main file/edit/view/insert menus
+ Modal windows: remember window positions (configurable option in preferences/general/advanced to tweak behavior)
+ Mouse modifiers: add double-click behaviors to reset CC value, curvature, edit properties
+ Mouse modifiers: add preference to draw/edit CC events immediately on mouse click
+ Multiprocessing: auto-detect up to 128 threads
+ Multiprocessing: increase anticipative FX hard limit to 128 threads, live FX hard limit to 64 threads
+ Multiprocessing: remove old 4.x scheduler mode, non-event synchronization modes
+ Notation editor: support customized staff and note context menus
+ Performance: improve performance and reduce system resource consumption with large track counts
+ Performance: add option in disk settings to periodically close excess open files
+ Performance: add option to read peaks files under a certain size completely to RAM (to reduce open file count)
+ REX: add option to ignore all embedded slice and tempo information
+ ReaFIR: add context menu mode configuration
+ ReaScript: add MIDI_GetCCShape, MIDI_SetCCShape
+ ReaScript: add support for CC shapes to MIDI_Get(Set)AllEvts
+ ReaScript: add support for setting track playback offset value and attributes
+ ReaScript: add support for user-defined note and track notation data that is not displayed
+ ReaScript: fix setting MIDI meta-messages via API
+ ReaScript: add reduce_open_files() utility function for users running up against open file handle limitations
+ Render: include all options in "options and format" render presets
+ Render: optionally embed transient information into WAV or AIFF files
+ Render: support embedding tempo into AIFF files
+ Render: support rendering only selected regions in an existing region render matrix [t=193405]
+ Render: when enabled, embed exact tempo of rendered item/time
+ Resampling: added SSE2-optimized sinc calculation (from Theo Niessink)
+ Resampling: optimize and greatly improve quality of resampling for conversion between common rates
+ Routing: add track wiring view
+ Theming: new Default 6.0 theme with theme adjuster script allowing for extensive customization of the new default theme
+ Theming: layout DPI translation for HiDPI/Retina displays
+ Theming: apply main window size area theme element only on mouseover
+ Theming: improve theme rendering appearance when using custom UI scaling
+ Theming: apply advanced preference UI scaling changes immediately
+ Theming: replace tcp.dragdropchild with tcp.dragdropinfo [indent_sibling_track indent_child_track]
+ Theming: add additional 8 WALTER font slots
+ Theming: add support for midi_score_colormap, in addition to midi_note_colormap
+ Toolbars: actions to switch last focused toolbar will default to switching main toolbar
+ Toolbars: improve HiDPI/Retina support (toolbar_icons/ can have 150/ and 200/ subdirs)
+ Tracks: support positive or negative playback time offset without affecting PDC
+ Tracks: add action to bypass track playback offset
+ Tracks: add user preference for max MIDI playback speed to catch up to negative track playback offset
+ VST3: support plugins that export MIDI note names
+ Windows: HiDPI awareness and display improvements (auto-rescale more UI when running HiDPI aware)
+ Windows: improve appearance of docker, ReaPlugs, and other windows when resizing
+ macOS: Retina display arrange, ruler, MIDI editor, etc
+ macOS: use Metal display output on 10.11+ for various windows
+ macOS: add options in Preferences/General/Advanced to disable Retina support, disable Retina for non-Retina theme elements
+ macOS: support REX files on macOS Catalina
+ macOS: work around appearance issues when user forces dark mode rendering for app (requires Metal to be enabled) [t=222366]

Veteran
Veteran
Congratulations to the whole Reaper Community.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Yes... Reaper has come a long way since I started with version 3.

I still can't believe that the installation file is just on 13 MB big... such a small file for such a huge program!

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
Expert
It just came down as a normal update which have been really regular of late. Kenny Gioia has already put out an introduction to the new version 6 Theme which looks interesting but I’m still on the old theme I was using.

Seems to work fine with the simple stuff I do (really looks not much different to last week)

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Media import: properly adjust length of imported media with embedded tempo when crossing project tempo changes

is not working, I'm trying to get them to fix it so you can drag wav with Acid tempo from Biab or Biab Plugin into Reaper and it will automatically fit to the tempo map in Reaper like most other DAWs do.

If you want to +1 go here
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=227922

This is Studio One 4 and Reaper 6 video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdbl264r6t7k028/S1-Reaper-Tempo-Map.mp4?dl=0

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
Media import: properly adjust length of imported media with embedded tempo when crossing project tempo changes

is not working, I'm trying to get them to fix it so you can drag wav with Acid tempo from Biab or Biab Plugin into Reaper and it will automatically fit to the tempo map in Reaper like most other DAWs do.

If you want to +1 go here
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=227922

This is Studio One 4 and Reaper 6 video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdbl264r6t7k028/S1-Reaper-Tempo-Map.mp4?dl=0

Did it get broken with V6 then? Heading over now to check that thread ...

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
No 5 never had it so I nagged them to implement it but they havn't got it right.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
No 5 never had it so I nagged them to implement it but they havn't got it right.

I think I understand.

Before if you uploaded a file with ACID info it would change it to match the tempo set by the project, correct? And now you want it to instead change the project tempo to match the imported file? So you don't need to set the project tempo before doing the import?

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Man I am just listening to your album, it's awesome as you get taken away with the vocal then the instrumental !

Say if I have tempo changes in Reaper and drag the acid wav in from BB that has a constant 120 tempo it should fit the wav to the changes in tempo of the song but it's not, it only changes the tempo of the wav to match the project tempo that is the first tempo marker 100bpm so it keeps playing the wav all the way through at 100bpm and don't change at the tempo changes of 120bpm then 140bpm contrary to what is stated:

"Media import: properly adjust length of imported media with embedded tempo when crossing project tempo changes"

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
There is a pre-release that fixed it

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
R6-Auto-Tempo-Adjust.png (35.5 KB, 124 downloads)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Cool!

I'm going to do the switch to V6 this afternoon, finished up the project I was working on.

Thanks for the props on my album BTW wink

Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for that Pipeline!

I don't think that I would have found that by myself.

Appreciate the heads-up.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Just remember if you are using the BB Plugin at the moment it's not writing the Acid info into the file when it's selected in Preferences.
Biab works fine.
To get it to fit a non Acid (embedded tempo) wav to the tempo map right click the item > Item Properties :

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
R6-Set-Tempo-Stretch-Item.png (187.8 KB, 107 downloads)
Veteran
Veteran
Drat. My old license expired with this update. On the plus side it's sure easier to read on my monitor now.

Veteran
Veteran
I know small companies have to survive so I do understand the upgrade charges and I am glad y’all have a new version!

On the other hand Apple is worth a bazillion dollars so it’s understandable how they can offer us Logic Pro users very frequent upgrades that are free for life. So many fx, sounds, loops, etc., that I don’t check them out any more.

Interesting digital audio world we all live in.

Bud

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Drat. My old license expired with this update. On the plus side it's sure easier to read on my monitor now.

Based on previous release dates there’s a fair chance the US$60 for the updates licence should last about 8 to 10 years. I reckon that’s not too bad.

Tony

Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Tony, I got Reaper in Jan of 2014 and bought the license a couple of months later. Six years - I didn't even realize it had been that long. Sheesh.

Bud, unless someone someday wants to donate their old used Mac to a worthy cause - worthy cause being me - I'll still be admiring Apple and Logic from afar. grin Champagne taste but beer budget.

Journeyman
Journeyman
REAPER may not have all the add-one that some other DAWs offer but I love it for its speed and stability. It also has the best user forum rather like the PG Music one so if you are ever unsure about any aspect someone is sure to help you out in double quick time. The license cost is amazingly generous.

Expert
Expert
Whilst Reaper might not have much in the way of instruments it certainly has a lot of plugins. They might not necessarily look that great but they are in fact quite good and efficient. (Not that I use them much lately). If one goes to the Kenny Gioia site there is brilliant instruction on how to use them.

You can in fact use the Rea plugins in other DAWs.

Tony

Veteran
Veteran
Yes Tony, I bring the REA plugins into PT/RB quite often.

I guess I purchased a license at the right time as my license says
"Said purchased license shall apply to the current version of REAPER® and any future versions of REAPER® up through and including version 6.99."
.. and it was bought a few years ago. Seems pretty generous.
Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by rharv; 12/08/19 03:05 AM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,565
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200