Print Thread
Go To
RealBand
G
Glen1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
All,

This looks like a great forum. I am an upper intermediate guitar player, and just bought these programs. I get that they provide a way to create backing tracks but there is so much more to these programs. I also bought Studio One in the hopes of recording my work.

But I am lost on how to use this technology. Much of the terminology is alien to me. Is there anyone in San Diego, that would be willing to tutor me on these programs? I am happy to pay someone to do this.

If not I will muddle along but I'd sure like to get a jump on this stuff.

Thank you.

RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Glen I used to live there but moved to the east coast. As far as learning ask any and all questions tap into forum help, watch videos, tinker with it. I also have studio one there is a wealth of information on their website.

Here is a great resourse https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjRzsiP_aDWWLHV4-2LKBtg

Also go here it’s studio one based https://homestudiotrainer.pivotshare.com/

As far as BiaB goes everything you need is here. A ton in knowledge on the forum, and in training videos. What you create in BiaB can be directly opened in RB and you can record and mix right there. If you prefer the workflow of Studio one tracks can be dragged into there from either RB or Biab. Hopefully the BiaB plugin will get fixed so it works smoothly in Studio soon.

What ever you do don’t DAW hop like I did for years. I searched for the perfect solution. It doesn’t exist. Every DAW has a flaw or two. You have everything you need to do this. Dig in and learn. Push buttons, experiment.

If you have an original song concept take a piece of paper and write down the lyrics and the chords. Type those chords into the chord sheet in BiaB, and try out a few styles till you find what you like. Adjust the tempo, tweak the layout. When it sound good to you. Open that song in RB. Then add some personal guitar tracks. Pan, add fx, mess with it till it is right.

Learn to add FX busses to you can send tracks and adjust the amount of effect on each. Add eq, compression and a limiter to the main output and get a solid level with out clipping.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Rob gave you some excellent advice. I will add that this is the most friendly site on the Internet and the only stupid question is one that is not asked. You will always get answers. Everyone is very helpful here.

My workflow is BiaB to Studio One Pro. Others have similar workflows to their favorite DAW. Some BiaB to RB while others BiaB to RB to their DAW.

Myself and everyone else will be glad to assist you in any way that we can.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
RealBand
Expert
Expert
Hi Glen - I think you and I are similar animals. Firstly, for us BIAB and RealBand is about all we need. BIAB does a million and one things but you can start using it straight out of the box for simple stuff. I know I don't use a fraction of the possibilities BIAB offers but then again as a guitarist just three chords have served me well for almost 50 years........

Just get the hang of setting tempo, key, entering chords and choosing a style. that should get you a backing track. just read the getting started part of the manual. if you get stuck we'll always help.

I find RealBand dead easy for more complicated stuff. It opens BIAB files and then if you want you can edit, regenerate tracks, add new tracks (both midi and realtracks) change key, change time and then simply export to a wav file i find it more easy to use than BIAB because the interface is a little simpler (for me anyway). i actually use audacity to change wav files to mp3 as i find it easier to normalise a whole mix in that program (its free by the way!) or you can burn cds using your normal program - again you can do it direct from RB and BIAB.

For what you and I need, BIAB and RB are ideal. But if you suddenly think 'what if i did so and so...........' you can do it. all it takes is a bit of learning - or an appeal to the forum.

imagine you're driving a Ferrari. you and i just want to go to the shops but one day we might want to race at a grand prix track..........

RealBand
G
Glen1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hi Rob, Mario and Bob,

Thank you for your replies. I will dig in and experiment. I was confused mostly about Real Band. I thought I was only getting BIAB but I guess that you can record with RB and that is what it is for. I will get started.

I started with Classical G and have a fairly decent amount of theory info. But the tech is way outside of my box currently. That will change.

Do you guys ever post your work?

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Glen1

Do you guys ever post your work?

Yes, just look in the User Showcase.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Glen,

Welcome to the forum and to Band-in-a-Box. I really hope you enjoy your visits here.

May I suggest you take a look at the Groove3.com video tutorials for Band-in-a-Box. +++ HERE +++ is a link.

The tutorials are as close to having an expert guide you in fast track learning the program as you can get. The videos are well organized and professionally produced.

I purchased the video series so I can download the 23 videos (1 hour 55 minutes viewing time) in the series. I keep a link on my desktop so I can view any of them for a quick refresher as needed. The guidance is just as current now as it was when the videos were made. Last the organization offers a good way to learn about Band-in-a-Box versus the hop scotch method of viewing random videos on YouTube.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
RealBand
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Hi Glen and welcome to the forum and the world of BIAB.

Here are the highlights I gathered from your post.

. You are an upper intermediate guitar player.

. You have hopes of recording your work.

. You are lost on how to use this technology.

. After this initial investment in various software programs including BIAB and Studio One, you still have some budget left to use.

Each of these listed specialties, being defined as a " branch of knowledge, typically one studied in higher education." although related to each other, are distinctly separate disciplines within their own boundaries. Which is your primary goal you didn't share and it doesn't matter. You'll naturally migrate toward your main interest on your own.

Congratulations for your hard work to get to the intermediate level of guitar. BIAB has many tools to help you get to the next level. For examples of some that have attained pro level proficiency with their instruments of choice check out Video Testimonials. There are also testimonials by users working toward engineering, mixing and producing.

Recording is an art of it's own right and has a huge learning curve. If it isn't your primary goal to become an engineer, mixer or producer, then don't place to much focus on learning more than the bare basics of how to record clean, crisp recorded tracks and basic mixing.

That you're lost with the technology isn't a problem unless you make it one by losing focus toward learning advanced technology you don't need or you won't use. Learn what's needed to reach your main goal. There are only a few principles and techniques you need to learn to capture clear, clean, crisp and useable audio tracks.

From this point it's really a simple matter of you deciding your primary goal and use your remaining budget, time and resources toward attaining that main goal and then use the other specialty disciplines only at the level for the most benefit to your primary goal.

Here is a Link to 'How to Record an Album on a Budget' on a post I made in another BIAB forum that isn't getting much traction but is an excellent example how an artist can focus on a goal while limiting the necessity of diving deep into other areas that rob time, resources and budget from the main goal.

Spoiler Alert: Giving away the plot but in the above article, the artist opted to use a simpler, quality hardware recording machine over available higher quality, complicated hardware and professional level recording DAW software. He was able to match the complexity and other features offered by the Pro equipment and DAW that would match the same had he moved to a Pro studio. (The artist did use Pro studios in the instances that was the best choice for recording specific instruments, but he saved a lot by doing everything else in house.) The bottom line is the artist produced a $45,000 project with a $600 piece of hardware recording/Software gear allowing him to focus on his strengths at a high level of competency.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 12/09/19 05:30 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
RealBand
Journeyman
Online Content
Journeyman
Excellent advice. I just upgraded from 2019 MEGA to 2020 ULTRA and was looking for a start-to-finish tutorial after only mucking about with 2014 PRO, then 2019 MEGA.

I have a Groove 3 annual sub, and was able to find Ed K's BiaB 2015 tutorial series. Working through it now.

Once I'm through that, the annual update videos will be more useful.

2016: https://youtu.be/ZCRt2hQ137M
2017: https://youtu.be/o60HpFwFsOM
2018: https://youtu.be/wxr7yXGHy0E
2019: https://youtu.be/pNsx8U5n5f4
2020: https://youtu.be/efhrf9SYQLg

ThinkPad i9 32GB RAM 7TB SSD; Win11 Pro; PreSonus Studio 1810c; BiaB 2024 Ultra
Studio One 6 Pro; MuseScore 4; Melodyne 5 Studio; Acoustica Premium 7; Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 4; NI S61 MK3; Focal Shape 65; Beyerdynamic DT 880 & 770
RealBand
G
Glen1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thank you Mario! Making progress

RealBand
G
Glen1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thx also to Jim Charlie and the Maartion!

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
When it comes to terminology all audio software uses the language of recordibg studios. This is true for any specialized software in any profession. Your printer uses print shop terms. CAD software is computer aided design. Photoshop is obvious same as medical or legal software. You need to have a basic understanding of recording studio terms that have been used in this thread. Plugins, FX, busses, pre amps for vocals, compressor, limiter and on and on. Just google those terms, it will lead you to articles about all this.

Another big deal is you need to be a low level Windows expert, not just a basic PC user. Audio software is a very small niche in the huge PC world. Nobody in a Fry's or Best Buy has any idea why you're getting glitches in your recording playback or why your mic is distorting. It's all on you.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
RealBand
G
Glen1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
All,

I've dove in and making tracks has been pretty good. But I also have Studio One and I want to record myself. So, I have tried to import a backing track form BIAB into Studio One. There is a tutorial that shows how to drag the master track into Studio One. Only problem is I cannot find the master Track when I am in BIAB. I see all of the individual tracks but no master. I tried to drag the individuals in but that did not work. And when I am playing the BIAB backing track, if I open Studio One my audio shuts down.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195