Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
D
djames Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Hi all, have recently bought BIAB and this is my first attempt at using it. Really impressed with the software and looking forward to getting into it properly.

The song is called "Puppets and Clowns", musically not sure how I would describe it, bit of a crossover with horns and pedal steel, lyrically it's a bit of a rant about things in the UK - seems apt to post it on election day here!

The lyric is in the link, feel free to sing along in the chorus :-)

https://www.djhsongs.co.uk/osl-puppets

Cheers,
David

Style is _CTRYROK.STY (3 Guitar Country Rock)

RealTracks in style: ~~684:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesSync Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~~405:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 2110:Horn Section, Background, R&B Ev16 110
RealTracks in style: ~~522:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 120
RealTracks in song: ~~621:Pedal Steel, Background Easy Ev 136
RealDrums [in style:NashvilleEven8^5-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

My BIAB Songs

BIAB 2021 PlusPAK, Reaper, W10
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice one David,
That's a nice calm response to circumstances you're now in.
The arrangement is good, the use of stops etc is good.
All I'd suggest is to look at the vocal processing to reduce the soft edges a little - the warm, gentle vocal is a little absorbed into the mix and might do better a little louder or EQd differently to cut through.
The Murdoch press really did a savage hit job in the last few days.
Oh well, you've joined the US & Australia in the primate cage.
Cool song.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
D
djames Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Thanks for that, I don’t really have the voice I want for this type of song – not edgy enough so did keep the vocals low, but will try playing with the EQ a bit.

The Primate Cage - great name for an album :-)

My BIAB Songs

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David,

This is very good.

An excellent write. A solid lyric and good prosody throughout.

A nice production. The horns are really well done - they blend in so well - supportive without drawing attention to themselves. Really nice mix.

I like the vocal. It could use a small touch of EQ bump (maybe) in the upper range to lift it slightly, but it is qutie good as is...

Welcome to the Showcase. A good entry.

fj

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Love the Lyrics - Very nice bit of work!

If you have time - can you please post the lyrics?

Thanks!!!

Last edited by jimmadsen; 12/14/19 07:36 AM.
User Showcase
E
Journeyman
Journeyman
E
David - First of all - I really enjoyed that song, and the lyrics are very well done and share the quality of being relevant and speaking a truth, which is an of element of many great songs. Musically, I really like the way the song just jumps right in and hits you with a nice hook and chorus right off the start - no waiting around for that big moment that never arrives with some songs smile. So overall, well done and very enjoyable, and quite catchy, and for me a chance to gain just a bit of insight into the political climate there in the UK.

Now, if you're looking for small things to improve, I can offer a couple, and I'm totally willing to take it as well as dish it out. The horns might be toned down or softened just a bit - I felt they were just a bit too forward. The vocals sounded good to me - I think the effect is a good one and keeps the vocals nice and round but defined, and they suited the tune just right. One last thing I would offer is that you could mix things up a bit more throughout the song by changing up the BIAB tracks in certain bars, or even adding some little flourishes here and there with drums or cymbals or the like - just very subtle. Now that's easy for me to say but I'm new to BIAB and I don't yet have a good handle on those techniques but I'm sure that others can offer some insight and you probably need a chance to dive into that as well.

Last thing - a general comment - I've found that when creating music, for me its better to just try all sorts of crazy things and make a ton of mistakes along the way rather than to try to methodically create something. I often end up throwing out a lot of junk, but every so often I stumble across a phrase or sound that I had never expected, and those are often the best. Everyone has to find the approach that works best for them, so keep on creating and having fun!

Ed Z

Soundcloud profile
https://soundcloud.com/user-415064494
BIAB user since 2019
iPad Mini, Garageband for iOS, BIAB for Windows 2020 UltraPAK, Xtra Styles packs 6-9, Windows 10 Lenovo PC, Kontakt Player, SpitFire LABS, SampleTank 4 CS, some Soundfonts

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very cool song. Love the vocal delivery. Simple, bare and powerful at the same time. Well timed lyrics. Well done and welcome to the forum

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I love the sound that you created with the BIAB instrumentation. Catchy and toe-tapping tune. I have a friend in the UK who isn't happy with the election results. I am quite surprised myself as an observer here in the colonies.

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
David,
Nice work on first BIAB tune!
Strong, thought out arrangement. Vocals fit very well, but I agree with Ray.
Something in EQ/FX has to be done to bring them out somewhat.
Good stuff! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

User Showcase
D
djames Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: jimmadsen
Love the Lyrics - Very nice bit of work!

If you have time - can you please post the lyrics?

Thanks!!!

Thanks Jim, as requested:

PUPPETS AND CLOWNS

So finally it’s here
I’d hoped it’d never come
The moment when you realize
These things can’t be undone
There is no turning back
To the way it was before
We had our chance to save it
But the warnings were ignored

The writing on the wall
Clear enough to see
Written in the blood
Of a dying democracy

The lines are being drawn
Time to choose your side
The puppets and the clowns
Or the ones who stand with pride

The things that I have seen
I would never have believed
Old lady getting knocked down
By a thug from the police
A man who read aloud
The words that Churchill wrote
Dragged away to jail
For the hurty words he spoke

And it makes no sense to me
How far we’ve gone astray
We used to be Great Briton
But they threw the great away

There must have been a plan
To get us to this point
With the puppets and the clowns in charge
And the media they bought

Chorus
Don’t be afraid to see just what you see
Tell it like it is coz that’s what you believe
They’ll try to put you down with their isms and their ists
But facts don’t care for feelings when the truth
Is what it is

This is my voice - These are my words
This is my truth
From what I’ve learned
This is my truth - These are my words
This is my voice
Will it be heard

And the men who went before
Who sacrificed their lives
Fighting for the freedoms
That these people so despise
What would they think to see
The state we have become
Ruled by foreign powers
As if they hadn’t won

They say the people get
The government deserved
But all we get are quislings
Is that really all we're worth

There must be someone better
Who can turn these things around
Or are we doomed just to be ruled
By the puppets and the clowns

Repeat Chorus

When young I swore allegiance
To the country and the queen
To honour and defend this land
From our enemies
I never used to doubt
That we would stand and win
But now I’m not so sure
Since the enemys within

They stalk the halls of power
As their numbers start to rise
Take away our freedoms
With their deceit and lies

History will show you
Their evil knows no bounds
They’re liars, cheats, the hypocrites
The puppets and the clowns

Repeat Chorus

My BIAB Songs

User Showcase
D
djames Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
David,

This is very good.

An excellent write. A solid lyric and good prosody throughout.

A nice production. The horns are really well done - they blend in so well - supportive without drawing attention to themselves. Really nice mix.

I like the vocal. It could use a small touch of EQ bump (maybe) in the upper range to lift it slightly, but it is qutie good as is...

Welcome to the Showcase. A good entry.

fj

Thanks FJ, it's a pleasure to be here and I will have another go at the vocal processing to lift it a bit. I tend to consider my voice as a guide vocal and so keep it lower in the mix.

My BIAB Songs

User Showcase
D
djames Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: EdZ314
David - First of all - I really enjoyed that song, and the lyrics are very well done and share the quality of being relevant and speaking a truth, which is an of element of many great songs. Musically, I really like the way the song just jumps right in and hits you with a nice hook and chorus right off the start - no waiting around for that big moment that never arrives with some songs smile. So overall, well done and very enjoyable, and quite catchy, and for me a chance to gain just a bit of insight into the political climate there in the UK.

Now, if you're looking for small things to improve, I can offer a couple, and I'm totally willing to take it as well as dish it out. The horns might be toned down or softened just a bit - I felt they were just a bit too forward. The vocals sounded good to me - I think the effect is a good one and keeps the vocals nice and round but defined, and they suited the tune just right. One last thing I would offer is that you could mix things up a bit more throughout the song by changing up the BIAB tracks in certain bars, or even adding some little flourishes here and there with drums or cymbals or the like - just very subtle. Now that's easy for me to say but I'm new to BIAB and I don't yet have a good handle on those techniques but I'm sure that others can offer some insight and you probably need a chance to dive into that as well.

Last thing - a general comment - I've found that when creating music, for me its better to just try all sorts of crazy things and make a ton of mistakes along the way rather than to try to methodically create something. I often end up throwing out a lot of junk, but every so often I stumble across a phrase or sound that I had never expected, and those are often the best. Everyone has to find the approach that works best for them, so keep on creating and having fun!

Thanks Ed, really appreciate your comments. I must admit to be being very proud of the lyric - now included in an earlier reply.

When you say "changing up the BIAB tracks in certain bars" I take it that means changing the styles. I have only really scraped the surface of what BIAB can do, so much to learn but so much fun to be had!

My BIAB Songs

User Showcase
D
djames Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool song. Love the vocal delivery. Simple, bare and powerful at the same time. Well timed lyrics. Well done and welcome to the forum

Thanks Scott, much appreciated and think I might have to have a bit more faith in my vocals :-)

My BIAB Songs

User Showcase
D
djames Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I love the sound that you created with the BIAB instrumentation. Catchy and toe-tapping tune. I have a friend in the UK who isn't happy with the election results. I am quite surprised myself as an observer here in the colonies.

Thanks, it's incredible what it can come up with, once I've got to grips with it properly I think it's going to push me to do much more.

Politicians are all as bad as each other really - we need to get a businessman as a leader!

My BIAB Songs

User Showcase
D
djames Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
David,
Nice work on first BIAB tune!
Strong, thought out arrangement. Vocals fit very well, but I agree with Ray.
Something in EQ/FX has to be done to bring them out somewhat.
Good stuff! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thanks Misha, I'm looking forward to working on the EQ/FX (the dark arts!) next week to try and give it a final polish.

My BIAB Songs

User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Great first attempt at using Biab...
In our country, we would call it a protest song...
And we had a lot of practice writing them...
I'm not really up on the politics of your country...
We've got hands full over here...
But I not really sure what our hands are full of smile

Anyway I enjoyed listening to your song.

Jim
†=☮&♥
User Showcase
W
Expert
Expert
W
Wow! Great entry to this forum.
Very nice written song... although the lyrics make me a bit sad, because they are so true...

You did an excellent job with BiaB and I look forward to hear more songs from you.

Will

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I liked it a lot and you did everything well, so kudos. How did you get the horns to crescendo when you needed? I have a hard time with that.

Last edited by TuneMonger; 12/16/19 11:03 PM.

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi David, welcome to the forum. Pretty good first at it. Nice vocals and arrangement. I normally do not give advice on how to do things here but in my humble opinion the background accompaniment sounds a little muted an can benefit from cranking it up a little so we can appreciate better the horns. At least that's how thy sound in my cans.
Other than that, nice composition.

Best regards

Mike B.

Music should be part of your life
http://www.soundclick.com/blackcatjazzcafeband
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi David,

Welcome to the forum!

There's no doubt about it, Britain has certainly been pulled left, right, up and down over the last couple of years. It must be quite frustrating for many ordinary people.

This is a really good song. The groove appealed to me and the overall vibe that you created was very easy on the ears.

I'm looking forward to hearing more from you.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,478
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195