Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#558363 10/08/19 09:01 PM
Songwriting
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
"You can type any chord progression and BIAB will play something else instead". Maybe this saying would fit better to the presentation videos... Real Tracks sound really good if only they were right... Since I purchased BIAB I'm still struggling with this same issue. Typing C7 and listening C7#9 or whatever BIAB decides. Gone through the settings hundred times, typing only simple triads and adding the extended notes on another track...

1. Anybody knows if the 2019-Version improved in this topic?

I regenerate an instrument 5-6 times and if I'm lucky I get the right chords once on the chorus once on the verse etc. and then I can cut and put them together in my DAW.

2. Anybody knows if I can regenerate only a section of a track (for example 8 bars) in the 2019-Version?

A Real Track bass will often approach the next chord chromatically. It may play f# over a Dm7-Chord if the next chord is a G7, which doesn't sound very nice.

1. Anybody knows if we can sort this out in the 2019-Version?

I think if a musician can't play a Dm9-Chord and plays a Dm7 or even a simple Dm instead is no big deal. But playing something else (like Dm6) all the time is a no go and someone should rap his fingers...

BIAB PlusPAK 2018, Win 64-Bit, ASIO, i7, 16GB, 2*500GB SSD +

You can find Jannis MusicHeart on your favourite Musicstore or at:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdjjpr_-B8llKxlwUDCf-Lw

https://jannismusicheart.weebly.com/

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Musicheart,

BIAB changes chords unless the user tells it to do so. To stop that happening, do the following...

1. right-click your mouse on the chord sheet

2. select "Song Settings" from the menu that appears

3. select "Force Simple Arrangement" (#3 on the image below). This is telling BIAB not to embellish the chords but to play what's entered on the chordsheet.

4. also set 'Natural Arrangement' to disabled (#2 on the image below)

Now if you type in chords, BIAB will play them if they were recorded by the Realtrack artist.

Regards,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
simple and natural arrangement.JPG (85.42 KB, 317 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
In relation to question #2...

BIAB doesn't yet allow for generation of sections. Realband does allow this, though.

And for question 3...

I've noticed the semitone step sometimes with jazz base in particular. As far as I know, a user cannot control the individual notes of a Realtrack.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
And for question 3...

I've noticed the semitone step sometimes with jazz base in particular. As far as I know, a user cannot control the individual notes of a Realtrack.

Noel is correct in that you cannot control individual Realtrack notes. But with Melodyne Editor you can change individual Realtrack notes. It is an expensive workaround, approximately $400 USD, but is does work.

Note that I do not work for Melodyne. My comments are from experience only.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Have you tried opening the song in RealBand and using the MultiRiff on the part of the track you want to change. I also found changing a part from one RealTrack to another can sometimes make things better. I had a part where the piano sounded fairly sick - changed the RealTrack to a similar piano track and it cleaned it up.

Just a thought. Changing stuff in Melodyne requires a lot of patience by my experience.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I've used melodyne here to change bass notes from time to time, wasn't hard to do as long as it's just a few that need changing. I've also used it to tighten up the timing on some realtrack bass parts.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
The "new for 2019" plug-in has the capability to regenerate highlighted bars in both the Windows and Mac plug-ins.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
The "new for 2019" plug-in has the capability to regenerate highlighted bars in both the Windows and Mac plug-ins.

Thanks for mentioning this, Jim. The plugin slipped my mind.

Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
The short answers to your 3 questions

1. yes
2. yes
3. yes

1. Anybody knows if we can sort this out in the 2019-Version?

Yes.

In 2019-Version, 2018,17,16,15,14 and earlier.
Yes, BIAB has the tools, procedures, and techniques to accomplish those tasks you listed without ever leaving the program.

The solution will always be specific to the song and the issue when trying to correct it in BIAB. The solution for most can be accomplished easier, though not necessarily quicker, moving toward a solution away from BIAB to another software such as Melodyne or DAW where their knowledge base is greater than they have for advanced or little used BIAB tools, procedures and techniques.

For most, actually all, it's easier, more intuitive, visual and comfortable to move to other software and DAW's. But your issues (and more) can certainly be corrected and fixed in BIAB. Folks choose not to do it, not that it can't be done.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 10/10/19 01:57 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Songwriting
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks for answering! I've tried everything you mentioned in the past but no success. I'll keep trying to work around...

Songwriting
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks for answering.
I tried RealBand for a couple of days when I purchased BIAB but it crashed so many times that I left it alone since then.

Songwriting
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks!

Great! I hope the 2020 BIAB-Version will sort out even more false chords and notes, so that it will be worth upgrading for me. I'm dreaming of a Band where everybody plays right, perfect. (As opposite to composing, typing the chords and after pressing the play-button: "who was it?")

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I just listened to your YT vids, very well done especially your vocals. Curious, are these tunes studio productions, did you do some of it or all of it yourself? The mixes are definitely professional as well.

As for Biab, I agree with the suggestion you should be using Real Band. Before I start talking about what you can do with it, there are always a few folks who complain about crashes and they never get into details so they just leave that complaint out there making it look like RB has serious problems. Not true at all. When someone actually explains what they're doing and lets us work it out for them it always turns out to be something with their system or configurations. RB is pretty stable. I would suggest you try RB again and if you start having it crashing note exactly what you were trying to do, what you did and how you did it and start a new topic in the RB forum. Tell us about your system, how it's set up, what you're using for sound, is it all audio, any midi, all that kind of thing. And watch all the RB videos too.

Your music is very good and interesting, you don't need to be this frustrated we can help you.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Songwriting
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
I just listened to your YT vids, very well done especially your vocals. Curious, are these tunes studio productions, did you do some of it or all of it yourself? The mixes are definitely professional as well.

As for Biab, I agree with the suggestion you should be using Real Band. Before I start talking about what you can do with it, there are always a few folks who complain about crashes and they never get into details so they just leave that complaint out there making it look like RB has serious problems. Not true at all. When someone actually explains what they're doing and lets us work it out for them it always turns out to be something with their system or configurations. RB is pretty stable. I would suggest you try RB again and if you start having it crashing note exactly what you were trying to do, what you did and how you did it and start a new topic in the RB forum. Tell us about your system, how it's set up, what you're using for sound, is it all audio, any midi, all that kind of thing. And watch all the RB videos too.

Your music is very good and interesting, you don't need to be this frustrated we can help you.

Bob

Thanks for your answer Bob.

I'm glad you like my tracks. Indeed I composed the music, performed the guitars, programmed the MIDI tracks, recorded my female vocalist and sound-engineered the tracks myself. The newest versions are slightly improved (smoother bass, more transparency etc.) I purchased BIAB in order to speed up my workflow and most of all to make everything sound more organic. I know BIAB has great stuff for practicing and learning. But for the experienced ones, who know exactly what they want, who spent weeks working on a track and flipped around 100 times every single note, engaging someone who’s playing false chords or notes it's just not fair. Maybe in this case, or till it's fixed in the next version, I'd say: "Warning: this RealTrack doesn't support every chord you typed. You may listen other harmonies after rendering. Proceed?" OK, that would be a matter of choice.

By the way, I like BAIB. I still export and use some RealTracks. And MIDI tracks as well, they are not flat, they have been performed by someone and that sounds pretty organic, on keys for instance.

If you are a member of PG Music staff I’d be glad to send you in detail what I did with RealBand and when it crashed. As well as some other issues I consider absolutely essential (respectively no go).

Thank you

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Had a very busy week and missed this post. This forum is for users talking to users nobody is staff here other than an occasional post by a staff person answering a very specific issue.

After reading your explanation of what you do and listening to your songs Biab is not well suited for you as far as a finished porduct is concerned. You do not have note level control over the RT's or RD's. They are prerecorded audio phrases. As for chord control you can turn off the Natural Arrangement function plus turn on the Jazz Down the chords function. That should help that part a lot. Still, you write a lot of specific phrases and rhythmic parts that Biab cannot do for you.

What it can do is create the overall feel of a new song using different styles and you have control of the song form. It's very good at giving you new ideas by changing those things and hearing what it comes up with including creating new melodies.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Songwriting
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks for the answer Bob

I think I make the best out of BIAB. I type the chords, create parts, copy and paste them, try melodies over them and then I export the MIDI and audio files. I import everything in my DAW, add some new stuff, do the whole sound engineering and everything sounds good, pretty organic. The thing with the false chords, well, somehow I manage it to work around it. I think without this issues BIAB would be genious. Instead of arranging musicians, recording them (and paying them :-), letting BIAB do the job almost just as good.

Best regards, Jannis

Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Had a very busy week and missed this post. This forum is for users talking to users nobody is staff here other than an occasional post by a staff person answering a very specific issue.

After reading your explanation of what you do and listening to your songs Biab is not well suited for you as far as a finished porduct is concerned. You do not have note level control over the RT's or RD's. They are prerecorded audio phrases. As for chord control you can turn off the Natural Arrangement function plus turn on the Jazz Down the chords function. That should help that part a lot. Still, you write a lot of specific phrases and rhythmic parts that Biab cannot do for you.

What it can do is create the overall feel of a new song using different styles and you have control of the song form. It's very good at giving you new ideas by changing those things and hearing what it comes up with including creating new melodies.

Bob

Songwriting
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast

I've installed BIAB 2020 but I haven't yet figured out how to regenerate highlighted bars only. Could you help me?

Thanks, Jannis

Last edited by MusicHeart; 12/15/19 10:58 PM.

Songwriting
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I've installed BIAB 2020 but I haven't yet figured out how to regenerate highlighted bars only. Could you help me?

Thanks, Jannis
Originally Posted By: Noel96

Thanks for mentioning this, Jim. The plugin slipped my mind.

Noel

Songwriting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thanks for that info! I was not aware of the right-click option or the ability to simplify the chords BiaB created. Again, thanks for that tip!

https://wfrayer.wixsite.com/william-rayer
Music makes life possible!
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Hi MusicHeart,

The "new for 2020" multiriffs feature in Band-in-a-Box generates 7 variations of a selected part of a song. The multiriffs are saved as 7 files and can be accessed from the Drop Station (noted by the green highlight of the [WAV] box).

To use the feature, click on any track radio button at the top of the screen. The track button can be either one with an instrument or a blank track. Then right-click (or double-click) on it and go to Select RealTracks | Generate MultiRiffs (for whole/part of song).

You will see a dialog with a list of available RealTracks. Select a RealTrack and press OK.

Choose the range of the song, or the whole song, and press OK.

The 7 MultiRiffs are generated. You can find them in your C:\bb\DragDrop folder.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,461
Members38,439
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195