Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
One of my most annoying issues with BIAB is regeneration time.
With any small change I sit and wait and wwwaaaaiiiittt... Life is precious, but I do not feel that when I am just looking at the screen waiting for regeneration to finish. Trying out things, I could make well over 100 changes in one tune that I would want to audition.

Ideally I would want regeneration times to be a fraction what they are now... About 75% faster.

My computer is fast enough smile

Here are some thoughts.
1) Logically, if selective tracks can be frozen and regenerate only "unfrozen" sections should take less time. Or wise versa: re-generate "selected bars"

2)Have a lightweight set of all real tracks, a fraction of the space they take now (lesser quality) for assembling / auditioning thing fast, and when it is time to render go to the source of larger files.

3)Do active re-generations in RAM. I would guess 4-8gb of unused ram should handle this for a single project at a time(~16gb total ram).

4)All things I missed to cut re-generation times.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Regeneration is done in 5 seconds on my PC ?. sometimes less.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I just loaded a 70 bar song of mine with 5 x Realtracks (RTs) and it took 5 seconds to begin playback.

Also, if you are trying out different RTs by using Realtrack Picker to load them, just click on "Generate" at the bottom of Realtrack Picker and only that selected track will generate. Once it's done, you will be taken back to the song.

If you are not using Realtrack Picker to load the RTs, then the same single-generate action is obtained by right-clicking on the track in either the Mixer or on the horizontal row of Track Names, selecting "Track Actions" and then selecting "(re)Generate...".

Hopes this helps speed things up for you a little more.

What sort of wait times are you experiencing, Misha?

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Beatmaster, Noel
thank you for replies.

I am talking about "changes" re-generations.
the ones that come with every single chord change, with every experiment of shot.holds,rests each takes about 7-10 seconds to regenerate. So when I make/ audition changes to the project, it adds up. And I do audition many changes when arranging. I guess it has to do with my workflow.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
What I do when I am in the process of working out the chord progression is to work with a MIDI-only style first. Generation is instantaneous then.

Mind you, if you were in a studio working with live musicians, I dare say it would take much longer than 10 seconds to implement changes when one considers explanation time, etc.

Also, it just occurred to me that when in the "getting the backing organised" phase and if you don't like using the MIDI-only styles, just use a guitar Realtrack. The generation time is dependent on the number of RTs used so a single one will speed things up a bit for you.

All the above said, I imagine that PG Music continually look for ways to enhance RT generation. Things move an awful lot quicker today than when RTs were first introduced!

The above are just suggestions that might be useful at the moment.

As a wishlist item, I agree... +1

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Noel,
Well yes, midi will surely work faster...
But I need to hear how particular set of tracks sound when change is introduced:)

Maybe it is possible to start playing sequence while regeneration occurs? So it buffers first 5-10 seconds and starts playing while the rest is processed? For that, I think this has to change:

I believe, BIAB processes/renders tracks in Serial mode, in all theory, given the speed and multicore processing power of modern computers, it should process them in Parallel mode...

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I would guess that it might be possible to pre-select your choice of RealTracks and load them into RAM. From that point, everything would run as fast as theoretically possible. But what do I know?

BIAB already does have a setting to begin playing while regeneration continues in the background. Perhaps you turned it off if your machine is slower or you had problems in the past?

You should have been around in 2008 in the early days of RealDrums then RealTracks. You would not be as concerned now. We have things pretty good.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
A suggestion you may find useful if your current workflow is regenerating your chord chart adjustments and auditions from the Main Screen Chord Chart is a method I use daily to work on Chord arrangements and RealTrack/Midi instrument auditions.

I use the Stylemaker's Play (using current Chord Sheet for song) feature with the 4 Bar Preview button checked in most cases. I do find it beneficial to leave the 4 bar preview unchecked in many situations.

I filter Styles to lower my search to manageable numbers and include/exclude RealTracks/Midi according to the specific need of the song.

Even if I'm working on a completed Chord Chart, I modify and change the chord progression of the first four bars to specify the exact chord changes I'm auditioning. I also change the Part Marker if necessary. What I'm doing is reconstructing whatever verse, chorus, bridge, intro or outro section of my song in the Stylepicker and I can audition dozens of Styles and hundreds of RealTracks or MIDI instruments hearing exactly how they will sound in my song in that particular section of my song.

Note this is a non destructive modification to the Chord Sheet and after the search and audition are done, simply replace the first four chords in the Chord Sheet with the correct chord progression.

This is a very fast and efficient way to audition changes as I'm constructing a song. Because a Style can sound dramatically different over a song's actual chord progression compared to how the demo sounds. It is very useful to use the Play using current chord sheet option. I find many instruments I normally would not find using this option because of the huge difference between the demo sound and chord chart sound. Each style averages 3-5 instruments so as I audition down the Styles list, I'm also hearing a large number of instruments.

It's a good search option but it can be improved on. I recently made a BIAB Wish list post that requests that this feature be modified to recognize a selected area rather than overwriting the first four bars. You can read that post -HERE- and add a like if you find it useful.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Charlie, thank you for suggestions. Yes, the 4 chord helps somewhat, but I do not want to feel like a juggler. That is why I am requesting for a solution not a partial workaround, that would benefit all users.
Fast rendering, at least a lower quality one should be available right at your finger tips, not under your toe nails smile
Charlie, you are always helpful, but I feel this has to be dealt with on developer level, not on user end.
P.S. The tune of yours that brought fruit after many years, still rings in my head. Beautiful!

Matt,
"BIAB already does have a setting to begin playing while regeneration continues in the background. Perhaps you turned it off if your machine is slower or you had problems in the past?"

I am confused... where is that setting? I have the "fast boot" turned on and "speed up regeneration of RT" set to high... But I do not believe it has to do anything with "begin playing while regeneration". Please point me to the right direction.

Thank you.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Sure. You have made a reference that, I think, is confusing two settings.

Options, Preferences, RealTracks, Speed up generation of RealTracks is a checkbox. If that's on, playback begins while the rest of the song is still regenerating. Hover over it and you'll see the tooltip description. Is your checkbox on?

"High" relates to the next item, Tempo/Pitch/Stretching Quality. That's a completely different setting, not related to speed up generation. Fast Boot is also a completely different purpose.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Are you using wav or decompressing wma ?
If wma try decompressing the RealTracks/RealDrum of the style you are using.
In bb\data\ there should be a decompress.exe/zip
if you put that in a RealTrack folder and run it, not in the root as it will do all.
Try that.

Now those RT RD folders move/backup elsewhere,
now create a RAM drive and copy those folders to it, you can delete all the wma out of the RAM drive folders.
Create a symbolic folder link back in the RealTracks and Drums folders pointing to them on the RAM drive.
So now it will read the wav files direct from RAM and generate them into RAM.
Try that and see what results you get.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/12-ram-disk-software-benchmarked-for-fastest-read-and-write-speed/
https://www.ghacks.net/2017/04/03/the-best-free-ramdisk-programs-for-windows/

http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/System/System-Enhancements/Portable-Symbolic-Link-Creator.shtml

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Matt, thanks
yes, I have that checked. With it checked around 10-11 seconds for every change, un-clicked it, took forever.
---
Pipeline,
I am using WAVs. Nmve ssd Samsung 970...
Ram disk will prolly be somewhat faster for the "testing" purposes, but it will not solve the issue smile

It is not life/death situation, I can live with the wait times, but I do prefer PG people figure a way to speed up things.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
If you are using .WAV files, either you have the audiophile version, or you already decompressed the files. If you did as Pipeline suggests, your files now take up about ten times the size they did before.

It used to make some difference in the early days of RealTracks. Maybe 20% at most. But now, the difference is less.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I think the time is more on the calculating the best fit from the possiblities.
If I do it in Reaper it's instant but it's just simple random matching without transposing.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
When you change a chord or two it regenerates the whole tack not just the changes Bar to Bar Regeneration that maybe the solution.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Pipeline,
If I had (If I really had!) my say in this, I would rather have "selected" bar freeze and "inverse selection" so BIAB regenerates only places which are not frozen. So in theory, if regenerating only 10-15% of the arrangement,regenerations should speed up significantly...and solve quite a few ongoing issues and requests as well.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
A rose by any name will give the same results.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
When you change a chord or two it regenerates the whole track, not just the changes. Bar to Bar Regeneration may be the solution.

This.

+1

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Fast rendering, at least a lower quality one should be available right at your finger tips, not under your toe nails

This is available.

Enter into Realtrack preferences and set the "Tempo/Pitch stretch" quality to "Low". (It's set on High on the image below.)

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Noel,
Thank you. Yes, I tried this and that... and a bunch of other things. It is just annoyance I will have to live with until PG figures out how to make things faster. On that note, the link that pipeline re-posted... I support that, +10 smile

But why is idea of freezing selected bars and generating(re-generating) unfrozen sections is not better?

In my opinion it gives a greater control over the arrangement as whole.
For example you can do 4 "change" re-generations in four different places leaving everything else frozen...

Maybe pipeline's / JJJ idea supersedes this, selected bar freezing and I just do not get it as a whole. Have to think about it.

P.S. Two more thoughts on this matter, while I still remember them smile

1) have bars one color... When change is introduced change the color of the bar, so you know where change was made and so only those "colored" bars are re-generated.

2)Set automation = regenerate last # of changes.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Quote:
But why is idea of freezing selected bars and generating(re-generating) unfrozen sections is not better?

I'm just talking the basics of being able to regenerate a section and leave the rest as it is like in RealBand.
You could implemented this in many different ways to give options.
If you just want it done to one section of one instrument without changing chords just to give a different riff.

Or if you change the chords and need to generate up all tracks in that section then you could have the color, freezing, un-freezing, inverting like you say.

I'm sure there would be more ways you could implement this but you need that basic function of being able to regenerate any section else none of it will work.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
RB-Re-Gen-Selection-All-1.png (235.03 KB, 184 downloads)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I am scared of RB...

Pipeline, thank you for explanation. I see it more clear now. Strange, why this was not implemented in BIAB so far in the game?

I believe this would solve my initial request of this post and my second biggest request, which is selective bar freeze.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Why are you scared of RB? What's up with that? I use it ALL THE TIME especially the selective generation part. It has 48 freaking tracks! You don't even need to mess with an already generated track by highlighting certain bars to change, just arm a new track and use that.

Say you want to wind up with 7 instruments. You can start with one Biab style for all 7 if you want but with RB you can have a different style for each track along with different chords for each track plus different part markers. RB is a DAW you have full control over everything!

You want to test an and experiment? You can set up 5 different tracks for each instrument each with it's own chord grid and style. Midi or audio. Different synths for the midi tracks, different RT's for the audio tracks. For your 7 instrument song you are STILL only using 35 of the 48 available tracks! Do you see the possibilities here? AND, this is using each track to individually test each instrument. You can break each track down into groups of bars and separately generate those sections. How many choices would have then? 35 tracks broken up into say 8 bar sections? Are you kidding me? You could spend months auditioning and mixing all those combinations of styles, chords, drum tracks, fills, all using midi and audio.

RB is not perfect but it is NOT some useless POS program that crashes all the time! Anything can be improved including RB but because of all the criticism it looks like all focus is on the plugin. OK fine. It can't replace RB yet but it's getting there but for now RB is pretty much solving all your concerns.

I just don't get all the disdain for RB. It's fantastic imho.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal

Bob

I agree, Bob.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal

One of my favorite sayings:
"Everything's easier when you know how"

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Bob,
I do not know how to put it gently...as this was just discussed in another forum topic. I feel that RB is 8-10 years behind top 5 DAWS. I do not want to invest my very limited time to learn something that had not seen love in loooooooooooooonnng time smile

I have only 2 major and 2 mild complaints about BIAB.

1)Bar freeze/ partial bar regeneration.
2)GUI!! Flexible, modular, scalable with auto hide mixer.
--
3)More mixer channels (+ dedicated midi channel)
4)Significantly reduce regeneration time. I think it can be accomplished if bar freeze is done the right way.

When these are done, and I have HOPE that all of these will be done sooner or later, most of my complaints will vanish, leaving room for occasional wish-list suggestions and laid back discussion smile As of now, I can pretty much avoid using scary RB.

Bob. it is just a matter of taste. That's all. Some years ago I visited parts of Asia. People cooked weird stuff on the streets, like brains and intestines for example. You can smell this delicacy from far away. I am sure, locals loved that smell and taste. I was scared...To me, it was far from what I would consider to be made for human consumption.

And a mirror example. I have Asian friend and once he said something about wine that went like this: How can you take delicious, sweet fruit and make such crap out of it.

Misha.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Why are you scared of RB? What's up with that? I use it ALL THE TIME especially the selective generation part. It has 48 freaking tracks!

What gives you the right to say that, I have never used RB !!!.

RB is a DAW you have full control over everything!. sounds like the Gestapo.. c'mon Band lab is free , why you saying that bob,

You scare people away with this [*****] that goes on here, most importantly Noel why you !! Free Version Have Anything to do with this,,?

You always speak your mind, why so now !!.

Big plus one on this

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
I'm listening

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Beatmaster,

I think you are being too harsh. Certain workflow means a lot to some people, including me... Some folks grew into the workflow of RB, they know it inside out. I get that.

Some people do not like Cakewalk, to me it is the BEST DAW ever! I grew up with it, I know my way around and features that I use regularly are missing from all other DAWs from Cubase to Mixcraft and everything in between.

I think to most advocates of RB it is about getting from point A to point B. To most of us, it is getting to point A to point B in a comfort coach with AC running and a toilet around the corner. Is it fair to request comfort for paid software? I believe so. But hey, this ticket is complimentary, you do not have to use it smile

Lighter heart please.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
...most importantly Noel why you !! Free Version Have Anything to do with this,,?

beatmaster,

I'm not quite sure what to say to your above comment.

I'd have thought that you'd know me much better than that after being on the forum for a while. I was seriously disappointed to read these words.

If I have done anything to you that deserved such an attack, please let me know what it is so that I can address it and we can clear the air.

For those who read this thread.... I agree with Jazzmammal because what he said is my experience of Realband. I don't use it as a DAW, I use is as an extension of BIAB to do things that BIAB cannot do and it works really well for me. I find it a valuable stepping stone between BIAB and Reaper.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Beatmaster,

I'm more than a little disappointed to read your statement. I don't think anyone here deserved to be jumped on for offering their own honest views and helpful advice.

You don't have to agree with anyone's particular views, but don't lower the tone of this fantastic forum by denigrating the honest works put forward by others, nor do you score anything for the unwarranted innuendo.

Nobody set out to personally admonish you. Why the attack? I personally find this very disappointing. Lets all work together to deliver a better game.

I could add "I'm listening", but I definitely won't. That kind of provocation would not be helpful.

A better game, please. We would all be better for it.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< One of my most annoying issues with BIAB is regeneration time.
With any small change I sit and wait and wwwaaaaiiiittt... Life is precious, but I do not feel that when I am just looking at the screen waiting for regeneration to finish. Trying out things, I could make well over 100 changes in one tune that I would want to audition.

Ideally I would want regeneration times to be a fraction what they are now... About 75% faster.

My computer is fast enough wink >>

Here's some suggestions that addresses these issues you have while remaining completely within BIAB - No DAW's allowed. (In Creating tracks not editing)

. Starting with your initial Chord chart and Style selection - Save it in a dedicated project folder
. With every change you make that you are somewhat or completely satisfied with, do a Save As and save that version of the project to the dedicated project folder
. You are saving the above projects saved at different completion levels so you can always revert to a prior project level if things get messed up with auditions and instrument changes. You do this because you can program in dozens of changes and instruments in a single generation of a BIAB project.
. regarding Regenerations - Rather than waste time by generating each and every single change, use the Chord Chart (particularly the UNUSED BARS Section) to enter your chord change experiments and instrument auditions. You can literally generate 100 chord changes in a single generation and at the same time do it with dozens of instruments. Regeneration times would be a fraction of what they are now. . .

For example, if your song is 90 bars in length, There are 165 unused bars that can be utilized to program experimental chord changes, chord progression changes, marker changes, tempo changes, shots, holds, rests, etc. These would be placed in the unused bars below your song chart and could be deactivated before rendering your song but also rendered if desired to be inserted and used in your project.

You can reconstruct single bars, multiple bars or entire sections. Generation time will increase a few seconds but you will have generated possibly dozens of snippets to audition and save for use in your final project. Every time you regenerate, these extra bars will also generate so multiple regenerations will result in hundreds of possible snippets.

Simply by using a feature in the Mixer Tracks that allows up to 10 instrument changes per track, utilize this feature to have specific instruments to come in and out at various bars which will force the BIAB search engine to more creatively and randomly search and select that instruments audio snippets.
. For example - Alternately place a banjo and guitar on a track so that they change every two bars, every 4 bars, every 6 bars and every 8 bars to create different phrases within just 8 instrument changes.

Hopefully, there's something in these suggestions that will aid in speeding up generations in yours and others workflow.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 12/29/19 03:05 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
This is the Wishlist forum so requesting faster generation times is completely legit but Rustyspoon included the words Possible Solutions. Real Band is the solution right now and the plugin could be another soon.

When it was created in 2008 it was SPECIFICALLY described as a new program that addresses things that Biab cannot do such as generating specific sections of a track. As a DAW RB only works on what you tell it to do so generating a few bars in the middle of a single track is pretty much immediate.

The fact RB is now over 10 years old does not mean it's been stagnant. The only thing new in the world is the history you haven't learned yet. I was a tester when RB was first introduced, there has been a TON of development just like with the plugin now. It may not be as far along as some would like but it works pretty well as it is.

RB is just another tool. A professional auto mechanic wants and needs the best so he will pay 12K for a set of Snap On tools. The best. A backyard hobbyist will have a mismatched collection of all kinds of tools that can't touch those Snap Ons. How much do you want to pay for the best? For $500 RB would be awesome I'm sure.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Below is what I posted yesterday but PGM deleted it.
-----------------------------
I have used most of the top DAWs. And Realband is not even remotely close to being in the same league as the top DAWs. Plain and simple. It is incredibly sluggish with an awful GUI. It suffers from much of the BIAB excessive dialog window disease. I know this will sound harsh but it looks and feels like a prototype of a DAW that was never finished.

Just add true inline regeneration and/or add freeze bars selectively in BIAB. Then clean up the BIAB GUI and let Realband become a legacy product that its few hardcore fans can use to their hearts content while the rest of us finish our projects in a modern DAW.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I’ve used many of the top DAWs including several in recording studios. I have not used RealBand so I can’t comment on that. But I do wish BIAB could add regeneration of a selection. If not, then selectively freezing bars could help too.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Charlie, first of all, thank you for extensive reply. The core of techniques you describe are workarounds. However, I am requesting a faster regenerations "out of the box" as I feel it should be. It was probably "ok" for the year 2005-2010, but 10 years later.... This is my request smile

I believe a well thought out, user friendly bar freeze could potentially solve 2 big issues with BIAB.

-----------
Bob,
"The fact RB is now over 10 years old does not mean it's been stagnant."
Sorry, I feel it is stagnant, compared all top DAWs.
The possible solutions that I mentioned on top of my post relate particulary to BIAB, not solutions in general.

"RB is just another tool." Agreed., just not the one I would use smile
----

JJJ,
On personal level I agree with most you said. I sincerely hoped that 2020 would bring some positive change to BIAB program, but things I was hoping to see were not there and the most advertised feature did not work as I hoped for. Hopefully, they are just working on true improvements behind the curtains. If they are not, somebody has to waken them, before it is too late. I have patience, but I do wish to see progress, especially in the software part, The RT/RD part I am satisfied 95% with.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P.S. I believe Noel and Charlie mentioned using MIDI tracks for chording, for faster generation. This is not my workflow. I have to and I want to hear how it sounds with actual RTs. used in the project and how these RT's react to changes as a group, not individual tracks.

So my request stands firm, no workarounds smile

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I support the request, however, I don't know enough about the internals of the program to understand the complexity required to deliver.

Nevertheless, faster generation is an improvement definitely worthy of consideration.

+1

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I want to say that I also support the request for a button for faster regeneration and say that my remarks have not been to convey the idea I don't but rather note my previous comments addressed the question posed in the title.

Regarding the question, "possible solutions?", first, the definition of 'workaround' on Google is that a workaround is "a method for overcoming a problem or limitation in a program or system." accepting that as a valid definition, the techniques I described above should not be considered workarounds no more than having to type on the keyboard to enter chords onto the Chord Chart. Respectfully, every method, technique, tool or feature I mention above are all normal components of the BIAB program and no procedure ventures outside of what are normal results of utilizing the functions.

For instance, there's nothing unusual and out of the ordinary of having 165 unused bars available to program shots, holds, rests and chord progressions to generate small audio clips to possibly use in your project. Audio is a definite component of BIAB as demonstrated by the Audio Track, Audio editor, ACW, Performance Tracks and the Audio Recording function. Placing multiple instruments on a track will always be faster than designating single instruments per track if the method is compatible with a song project.

My comments above are directed toward defining workaround, regarding faster re-generations, I don't see how any programming change can result in faster generations than using the unused bars of a song project to program 20-30 audio clips to audition and cut/paste into your project from a single generation of the song. I consider that a possible solution option and not a workaround.

But like others , I support the request because a programming change can produce a faster generation in a much simpler process than anything I've mentioned.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
+1 for the idea of faster RealTracks and RealDrums regeneration. Faster regeneration is a never ending goal I think PG Music has always sought to obtain.

The issue might be that since each improvement is small and happens over the course of years it is difficult to notice the improvement while using the product every day. This is similar to how quick any Windows computer feels after a new operating system install but then slows down through daily use. The operating system slowdown is not noticeable until the day you notice it. Then it is in your face every day. I suspect, but do not know, that the cumulative reduction of RealTracks and RealDrums regeneration time has been reduced and would be noticeable if a comparison test was performed.

What would I consider a comparison test that could demonstrate a noticeable improvement in RealTrack and RealDrum regeneration time? I'd say a new install of 2010 Band-in-a-Box UltraPlus PAK against a new install of 2020 Band-in-a-Box UltraPlusPAK, on two computers having the same specifications and operating system using the same song file that loads the same instrument tracks.

The UltraPlus PAK programs provide the most content without providing wave audio files. Because part of the regeneration process is finding the correct RealTracks and RealDrums and converting the wma files to WAV files it would not be fair to use the Audiophile packages.

I would expect the comparison test to use two, comparable computers to prevent the 2010 program from accidentally using files introduced after the release of 2010.

The song file would need to use RealDrums and RealTracks that were released in 2010 or earlier so they would be available to both programs.

Perhaps PG Music will read this thread and think a comparison test is a good idea for marketing purposes. Perhaps a long time user will have the needed resources and think such a comparison test is interesting. Maybe such a person will post a comparison test video to YouTube.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
....With any small change I sit and wait and wwwaaaaiiiittt...

(I may have mentioned this before in this forum or another crazy)
You are waiting for it to generate up all bars of all tracks because you changed one chord.
The way I see it is Biab saves the generated track data in the SGU if the track is frozen,
this data would contain the information for the bar/time location used from the ReaTrack source file along with transposed semitone amount,
when the SGU is opened Biab will generate up from the data into RAM the identical track to what was frozen,
so if I changed just one chord or just want to regenerate without a chord change and highlight that section it should just generate up the data for that section of bar/s of all tracks or selected track,
that data will then overwrite the existing data of those bar/s,
then the whole track will be regenerated into RAM keeping all the existing playing except for the new bar/s.

Does that make any sense ?

This way you could also change the chord of one instrument by just regenerating the section of one track only.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
....With any small change I sit and wait and wwwaaaaiiiittt...

(I may have mentioned this before in this forum or another crazy)
You are waiting for it to generate up all bars of all tracks because you changed one chord.
The way I see it is Biab saves the generated track data in the SGU if the track is frozen,
this data would contain the information for the bar/time location used from the ReaTrack source file along with transposed semitone amount,
when the SGU is opened Biab will generate up from the data into RAM the identical track to what was frozen,
so if I changed just one chord or just want to regenerate without a chord change and highlight that section it should just generate up the data for that section of bar/s of all tracks or selected track,
that data will then overwrite the existing data of those bar/s,
then the whole track will be regenerated into RAM keeping all the existing playing except for the new bar/s.

Does that make any sense ?

This way you could also change the chord of one instrument by just regenerating the section of one track only.

Of course this would be a great improvement! It should work like this even if I added bars to the song!

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Somehow I have to think this could be done faster by loading the RealTracks of the song into RAM, and storing only pointers in the file.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Matt,
yes, I was bragging about this (loading all active content in memory) last year on several occasions smile

I was thinking, How is the mechanism of previewing first 4 bars on style picker works? Why is it so fast? Can it be any random "4 or more bars"? Can the same technique be used to generate selected bar group, without regenerating whole song in the program itself?

Honestly, I think audio file handling architecture has to be re-thinked as a whole, giving high ceiling headroom for future development, not just squeezing "features" into it.

What bothers me the most, is that BIAB has fantastic library of Real styles and drums. It has the logical concept, which is also very strong, but implementation of some key features, GUI and general workflow is very cumbersome compared to most modern day music software titles. To me, re-generation time is also a big contributor to the negative factors of workflow. So why does it bother me so much? I just do not want to be in the same scenario as some of us were faced with Cakewalk not long ago. We, people who got attached to it on personal level, got lucky that Cake was preserved and greatly improved over the past year+ (Thank you Meng & Noel!), but it could have taken completely different and dark salvage path. I just do not want to be faced with similar scenario with BIAB, at least not anytime soon.

PG crew, please put some love into the program, not just some random screws to hold it in place. It deserves better!

Thank you.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
It sure seems like an easy programming task to simply regenerate only a few selected bars and then replace what was selected with that new generated bit. Keep everything that was not selected and only replace the bit I selected. Then I can listen and if I don't like it select the bars again and try again. So simple!

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I just made a usertrack for the usertracks forum and when I was trying it there was a couple of bars with glitches but I couldn't regenerate just those bars I had to regenerate the whole track.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I just made a usertrack for the usertracks forum and when I was trying it there was a couple of bars with glitches but I couldn't regenerate just those bars I had to regenerate the whole track.

And therein sits the underlying problem...

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
This is how I see it.
Tracks are gathered by going to labyrinth of folders and files for every generation...
and Tracks are obese (large)

If the all active (mixer) tracks are loaded into memory or at least copied into single folder, probably should make things faster. Also, for the chording and previews I do not mind split Mono tracks, which again I believe should make things faster because size of the files are reduced to about 1/2.

We can try to guess these things until we turn blue smile Still it has to be the oracle who can give a green light to explore the possibilities. Meanwhile, I want to wish Happy New Year to all people who are frequent at this section of the forum and who refuse to give up, bringing excellent ideas, even when it seems a one way communication.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
N
Journeyman
Journeyman
N
I find regeneration to be acceptable on my ( recently switched to ) modern Macs - ie i5 i7 with SSD and decent RAM.

BUT.......... when it comes to using that BIAB plugin - which is designed to work with the BB4 background app ( as a server ) then regeneration times are infuriatingly long.
The reason for this is well known and not a bug but instead due to the fact that with the plugin - the entire regenerated audio data is written to disk - same as when one does an audio export in BIAB.

Its this huge waiting time that is the issue. The answer is to make the BB4 app regenerate to RAM ( like BIAB standalone) and instead of having the BIAB plugin then stream audio from the audio file data on disk, stream audio directly from the background BBM4 app to the plugin - in client-server fashion.

The decvelopers ( developer actually far as I know ) are well aware of this - and something tells me we will have to wait until at least the 2020 version of BIAB is out - maybe longer before this sensible change is adopted. So in essence - anyone who paid up for the 2019 Mac release because they were excited and wanted this new BIAB functionality - just has to lump it and wait until this new "feature" finally becomes usable. And not via a free update but instead as part of the next "funding round" .....payable by us every year - in the hope that promised features actually become usable.

Until then I consider the BIAB plugin basically useless. Workflow matters. The waiting tomes to regeneration in BIAB standalone are personally fine for me on modern Macs.
The waiting time to make changes to arrangements and regeneration via the BIAB DAW plugin is NOT.

Last edited by nonchai; 01/10/20 07:17 AM.

Big Sur, Mac Mini i7 2018, 64GB RAM 2TB SSD
Yamaha PSR SX 900, Cubase, Ableton, UNIFY, OPUS ORCHESTRATOR, MASCHINE, Vienna Ensemble Pro ,Audiofuse, L6 HELI, KOMPLETE, Komplete Kontrol 88
Lockdown beard, podgy face, beer belly, bald patch ... yadda yadda
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,753
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191