Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
ARA is a way for say a VST to speak to a DAW. ARA is supported by quite a number of DAWs these days.

In the past for example to use Melodyne on a track one would need to play the track and capture the audio in Melodyne. With ARA one can simply add Melodyne as a VST and open up the track for editing. You hear the track through Melodyne.

See https://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/celemony-explains-ara-new-vst-au-rtas-plug-in-extension-506999

This has a fairly good explanation of ARA. Once again a tool for a particular type of use. In this case an interface standard between the VST and the DAW as I understand it.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I am totally confused and curious.
I was poking at Melodyne some time ago. I ended up of not using it. As I understand it is mostly for shifting correcting pitch timing and few other things of this nature.

If my thinking is correct, why do we need it for BIAB? Would it be possible to use ARA in a DAW after the track export (through Plugin or by importing WAVs)?

Can not make the connection...how would it benefit BIAB?
Can somebody please explain in simple terms. Thank you.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
It's not in Biab itself, it's the plugin. Read what the quote from Wikipedia says about tempo and timing. ARA allows that info to come over to the DAW immediately not tick by tick as the song is playing as is the case in a standard plugin. That means the whole tempo map question is solved among other things. IF ARA can be made to work in the Biab plugin and IF it doesn't cost too much for licensing or whatever is required to use it.

This is yet another thing that is either a big shrug or vital depending on the user. I still think the vast majority of users are creating standard 4/4 or 3/4 songs at a constant tempo so it's a big shrug for them. For others with varying tempos and even different time sigs in the same song this could be a big deal because my understanding is with ARA in a compatible plugin and DAW that gets mapped up front.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Reaper has ARA.

Maybe rather than trying to implement so many things to Biab and drastically changing it would it be easier to bring Biab to the the already implemented, that is the whole idea of the Biab Plugin,
sure it started very basic but the way things are going with the Plugin now and once they get the play from RAM implemented that will be a game changer for it.
I wonder if Adar has a twin brother that is also a programmer ????
that would help move things along as I think he's at it 24/7 now.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Sorry, now I am even more confused.
Wiki says Cakewalk supports ARA since version Version 2019.05

So, the VST Plugin does not have to have the ARA protocol coded "in it" as long as DAW has it
to share as wiki mentions: "key information, such as audio data, tempo, pitch, and rhythm, for an entire song, rather than just at the moment of playback."?

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
If my understanding is correct it is a way of standardising the way a DAW speaks to certain VSTs to make the interconnection between processes smoother. I’m too old to get too far into it. For me if a process works then good enough. If something becomes difficult either find a way around it or forget about it.

Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
I am totally confused and curious.
I was poking at Melodyne some time ago. I ended up of not using it. As I understand it is mostly for shifting correcting pitch timing and few other things of this nature.

If my thinking is correct, why do we need it for BIAB? Would it be possible to use ARA in a DAW after the track export (through Plugin or by importing WAVs)?

Can not make the connection...how would it benefit BIAB?
Can somebody please explain in simple terms. Thank you.

Melodyne is basically a pitch changing program. But it can also lengthen or shorten notes. It is used mostly for vocal tracks but it can be used in any audio track. The more basic versions of Melodyne work with monophonic instruments while the more expensive versions work with polyphonic instruments.

How can it benefit BiaB? If you have say a sax rhythm you like but not the notes. You can change the notes in Melodyne. And/or you can change the length of the notes. You can also take an audio track and convert it to a MIDI track, note that you may lose some of the nuances but they can be added via CCs. If you have a polyphonic audio you can either change the notes and/or the inversion/spacing of the notes. Melodyne can do more but these are the basic functions.

I have done the above with Melodyne in my DAW but I have never used it in BiaB. Maybe others have, don't know.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Originally Posted By: Sergino
I have read the first 3 pages of answers to this post, so I don't know if anybody else alredy said this: the future of Biab is some sort of implementation-integration with ARA. Studio One was the first using it with Melodyne. All the non-professional or at least less exigent can use RealBand just as it is now. But I hope PG-Music won't lose time updating it as it would be useless for everybody. Developing an ARA compatible BIAB would be the future as a DAW like Studio One would become RealBand on steroyds.

Are you sure about Studio One was the first using it with Melodyne? I was using Melodyne vai ARA in Sonar before I even knew Studio One existed.

Mario I am positive Presonus and Celemony developed it. It was a joint project.

BIAB 2024 Ultrapack- Studio One Pro 6.5 Windows 10

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Brian Hughes
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I have read the first 3 pages of answers to this post, so I don't know if anybody else alredy said this: the future of Biab is some sort of implementation-integration with ARA. Studio One was the first using it with Melodyne. All the non-professional or at least less exigent can use RealBand just as it is now. But I hope PG-Music won't lose time updating it as it would be useless for everybody. Developing an ARA compatible BIAB would be the future as a DAW like Studio One would become RealBand on steroyds.

Are you sure about Studio One was the first using it with Melodyne? I was using Melodyne vai ARA in Sonar before I even knew Studio One existed.

Mario I am positive Presonus and Celemony developed it. It was a joint project.

OK, thanx for clearing that up for me.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Mario, thanks.
I do get the part how ARA (Melodyne) can be useful on instrumental tracks, I do not get the part how and why it has to be a part of BIAB plugin? In Daw you can simply use Melodyne VST (or similar) on the track you want to edit.

Probably a silly question, just trying to understand.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
As of right now ARA support can be found in most of the major DAWS. Melodyne and Vocal Align are two of the most popular programs that take advantage of the protocol.

You might ask what is the advantage of this? Well what it allows these programs to do is instead of bouncing a track into these programs and then edit it and bounce it all back which typically used to be done in real time took quite a bit of time. Also they were not synced together.
Now you can edit on the fly and no more bouncing the track back and forth like before and everything is in sync. So how would the BIAB VST benefit from this? I would suppose it might be able to regenerate a multi riff directly to the tracks in a DAW. There can be a lot of things possible I suppose.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
RSpoon, the reason that Melodyne works like it does in a DAW is because of ARA. Before ARA, Melodyne was not truly integrated. You had to open the wave file in Melodyne. Now you can click on a audio track and edit seemlessly.

I would imagine ARA would make the flow of audio data, like tempo, key, etc smoothly passed between host DAW, and the plugin. Some BiaB tracks i. e. RTs with all the different things involved.

Ya never know what will be added to the plugin in the future.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Rustyspoon, you're combining Melodyne and ARA. They are separate. Melodyne is a plugin while ARA is a protocol that can work with many different plugins. The only connection is the ARA protocol was developed jointly by PreSonus and Celemony (Melodyne) so Melodyne would work much better in Studio One. I bolded that sentence in my Wikipedia quote earlier.

Before you get too excited, the full Melodyne program costs $500 but there may be a sale on since it's Christmas. The most obvious use of Melodyne is vocal correction, it's used all the time for that in studios the world over. Another great use is say you have an otherwise killer piano or guitar track but one chord is a major and you need it to be minor. You can use Melodyne to literally move that note down a half step. The integration with Studio Ones Chord Track is it can make that change for you very similar to how Biab does it. You change the chord in a little box and when you hit Play prestochango, that major chord is now a minor. I'm pretty sure that's due to ARA. You don't need to manually go into the Melodyne plugin itself and make the change S1 does it automatically with Melodyne running in the background. That is definitely moving into Biab territory but S1 doesn't have anything like styles. Yet.

Right now we're talking about the Biab plugin and obviously ARA needs to be programmed into it in order to work, otherwise there's no discussion. ARA works in many DAW's already so if that was not needed we wouldn't be talking about it. In order to work it has to be programmed into both the DAW and the plugin.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Once again I point you to https://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/celemony-explains-ara-new-vst-au-rtas-plug-in-extension-506999

This will explain ARA, it’s uses and beginnings.

It really seems all it is simply an interface to allow a DAW to more natively speak to some VSTs. As was said, prior to ARA if you wanted to use Melodyne the track would have to be recorded or copied into Melodyne. With ARA Melodyne simply opens up the track.

Look at the video mentioned in the link above. The designers of ARA understand it better than most.

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 12/24/19 06:08 PM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Thank you everyone for explanations!
Bob, Ok, now more clear.
Tony, thank you, watched the link.
What got me tripped is that in my understanding, when BIAB is "generating" the track the outcome is not predictable, until it is fully generated. So how can ARA "see" something that is not yet born? Ok... that is technicality smile
So basic understanding is that in theory ARA will help to keep tracks in sync with project -->export them directly to DAW tracks from VST.

I like Mario's real world approach of using melodyne on instrumentals:

"How can it benefit BiaB? If you have say a sax rhythm you like but not the notes. You can change the notes in Melodyne. And/or you can change the length of the notes."

As of now, if a note or chord sticks out from BIAB generated WAVs, in most cases I would just mute them.

P.S. I downloaded a trial of melodyne, will play with it later in the week. I know Sweetwater is running a 1/2 sale on Melodyne packages. Essential is $50.
But as I understand, the Essential version would not do many "essential" things. It has to be Assistant version or higher. Not sure if I need it now, but regardless will have a full free month to play with it smile

Again,
Thank you for your time!

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
What got me tripped is that in my understanding, when BIAB is "generating" the track the outcome is not predictable, until it is fully generated. So how can ARA "see" something that is not yet born?

Good question and I don't have an exact answer but parts of the Biab song is known before generation like tempo, time sig or multiple time sigs, chords, the overall song layout, number of total bars, mixer settings and probably more. What is not known is the exact notes until it is generated so yes, Melodyne correction would have to wait.

I suspect the things that are known and can be read from the Biab plugin immediately is enough to allow ARA to set the whole song up meaning it's already synced up with a tempo map, key sigs and the other stuff before the song is generated. Pipeline wrote quite a bit about that in his posts in other threads and I can't remember it all but I think I'm close. He will probably chime in to clarify it.

The fundamental question remains, can the plugin be made to work with ARA? Since it is a working VST I would think it should but what do I know?

Bob

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
It takes a while to analyze just 32 bars, longer than it would take to generate, and you need the VST3 version.
In the current version of Biab the VST is not syncing unless you hit the play button and play from the very start (include count-off) if you start on any other bar the VST will play from the very start.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BB-Melodyne-Analyze.gif (383.44 KB, 290 downloads)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Below is a video that explain Melodyne in studio 2 , but the same is true in studio one 4, Reaper etc. use your imagination regarding the tracks from the plugin. Imagine what you could do with the mulitiRiffs. Say a phrase ends a little short or doesn’t tie together smoothly. Edit it in Melodyne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3J8SFhoe10

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
Apprentice
since my post pointing on ARA, I'm reading a lot of other posts regarding mainly Melodyne. I didn't want to focus on ARA as a link between BIAB and Melodyne, but as a link between BIAB and any DAW supporting ARA.

Sergino
Bandinabox 2024 standard (2020 Audiophile)
VST3 plugins on Studio One Pro 6.1
Windows 11(SSD) - AMD Radeon R9 5950X - 32GB RAM
MOTU: 2408 MkIII - 24i - Traveler - MIDI Express XT
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
since my post pointing on ARA, I'm reading a lot of other posts regarding mainly Melodyne. I didn't want to focus on ARA as a link between BIAB and Melodyne, but as a link between BIAB and any DAW supporting ARA.

Exactly that is why I mentioned the Synchro Arts VocALign which uses ARA in Studio One as well. The thing is a DAW that supports ARA allows more time for the plugin to edit in realtime and play the results in sync instantly. This was not possible before ARA with programs such as the two mentioned programs.

With ARA 2, the exchange of information between DAWs and plug-ins is more comprehensive, which makes additional applications possible. The new ARA 2 specification allows the simultaneous editing of multiple tracks, the transfer of chord track information between the DAW and the plug-in, seamless clip borders that make the manual setting of crossfades superfluous, Undo interlocking with the DAW, and more. The features then become available depend upon the specific plug-in and DAW.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,307
Posts731,347
Members38,410
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DJ Jazzy Jimbob, PatSar63, danidatoad, resower, Nicholas -PG Music
38,410 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 213