Print Thread
Go To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I read all your remarks with hopefully as open as my mind can get. Unfortunately, I'm trained to literally read and interpret what one writes.

"I want workflow / menus! / features, sorted properly and presented neatly, logically and the last but not the least for menu items to look pretty." The words sorted, presented neatly, logically and pretty all address your wish for a better appearance of the GUI. I give them all a plus 1...

"We need people who will open it it, press couple of intuitive buttons and fall in love with it." I interpret pressing a couple of intuitive buttons to have nothing to do with appearance and everything to do with reducing complexity between the beginning of a project and the final result. That's how I interpreted what you wrote. Nothing to see here, because I agree with your concept here too.

I agreed with Mario in another thread regarding 16 channels for midi.

I'm fine with the Mixer and with all the pop-ups but I'm happy to throw my support with the majority and I think the majority of forum members support continued work and improvements to the GUI.

I'm good with it and I think BIAB can benefit from your recommendations. I always read them and try to grasp your reasoning. There's a wide variance of experience, training, ability and perspectives in the forum community. I learn a lot here. Some of that's from you. Thanks for your contributions.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Ok, Charlie, now I see where we got disconnected smile

Here: "I interpret pressing a couple of intuitive buttons to have nothing to do with appearance and everything to do with reducing complexity between the beginning of a project and the final result. That's how I interpreted what you wrote."

I was actually thinking of an interactive "quick start" guide or interactive assistant. I understand that this might be a big project for PG, and probably will not happen anytime soon. However, the easy solution, what I have seen with some software, when you open it for the first time a splash screen will offer to take it right to the "quick start" video. I understand that there are tons of BIAB videos, and I watched quite a few of them. But none that I have seen are made as a "quick, follow me" start guides. Most are either pushing marketing agenda or deal with specific issues.

So idea of this Q.Start guide is for a person, who buys BIAB for the first time, have a very basic understanding of core things from the start, not getting lost in all the options.

Example of Quick start: Audition/Pick style-->open style-->change realtrack-->change tempo-->change key and so on. Short and sweet segments to get things rolling.

Like giving a bone (with some meat) to a dog....
(I felt like a rat in the maze the first time I opened BIAB smile )

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Ok, Charlie, now I see where we got disconnected smile

Here: "I interpret pressing a couple of intuitive buttons to have nothing to do with appearance and everything to do with reducing complexity between the beginning of a project and the final result. That's how I interpreted what you wrote."

I was actually thinking of an interactive "quick start" guide or interactive assistant. I understand that this might be a big project for PG, and probably will not happen anytime soon. However, the easy solution, what I have seen with some software, when you open it for the first time a splash screen will offer to take it right to the "quick start" video. I understand that there are tons of BIAB videos, and I watched quite a few of them. But none that I have seen are made as a "quick, follow me" start guides. Most are either pushing marketing agenda or deal with specific issues.

So idea of this Q.Start guide is for a person, who buys BIAB for the first time, have a very basic understanding of core things from the start, not getting lost in all the options.

Example of Quick start: Audition/Pick style-->open style-->change realtrack-->change tempo-->change key and so on. Short and sweet segments to get things rolling.

Like giving a bone (with some meat) to a dog....
(I felt like a rat in the maze the first time I opened BIAB smile )

My thoughts were more like how BIAB chose to interface with the TRIO - pre-program it and limit the selection quantity. Either way, pre-program or quick start - The benefit of quick start with midi as the style, instruments, chord chart, key signature and tempo are all in place. BIAB also already has a limited selection of RealStyles that can be selected as direct midi replacement styles. That could be improved and expanded without too much technical changes.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I am a Newbie to Band in a Box, but I would like to post some comments. I don't think further add-on programs are the right path. I think a consolidation and more focus on the strenghts of the already given functionality would be the right way forward for BB. In some areas this might also mean giving up some of the stuff that comes along with the current program packages.

Great and not so great:

First of all Band in a Box is a great program to create Mock-ups of song ideas and to get some inspiration what a song could sound like. However I doubt that any musician or producer would use it to do a complete production of a song. There are too many limitations and the sound quality isn't just good enough. Not even the Audiophile version would match current recording standards.

What I like about the program:
- The way how to come from some chords towards some song idea
- The variety of styles to choose from

What I really dislike:
- The mess it creates on the computer in terms of directories and scattered related content
- the way it integrates (or rather does not) with the existing DAW and audio setup (ASIO, 96k/24). It seems that BB creates its own DX Audio stuff in parallel and messes around with the set audio bitrates.
- the weird and completely overloaded UI. Despite all the tutorials and manuals, it often isn't clear to me, what the settings and functions are about or what a symbol means.
- the limitations when it comes to integrate own user ideas with the generated stuff
- the performance. I have a pretty new and fast computer with lots of RAM and SSD space. But even that gets to its limits.
- I never managed to get this sforzando and WT Coyote stuff working reasonably and the track channels don't accept my own VSTi's (SD3, Komplete, UVI Workstation, Korg Synths, ...)

At the end I usually get completely lost. I don't understand anymore what the BB program or the DAW plugin are doing, why certain tracks and sounds work, whilst others don't, why the computer freezes and so on. Sometimes not even the generated results seem to be predictible/reproduceable.

Why not keeping the whole subject lean and simple for the user?

In particular, what I expect from Band in a Box and what it should focus on from my point of view:

I assume that most users have a good DAW and decent collection of good soundineg Vst3 instruments. Also most musicians have their own idea what an instrument should sound like. So they would finally chose their own sound for the instrument anyway. Apart from some exceptions - why should I mess around with RealTracks and RealDrums, after having got some first impression of the song? What is really needed is the possibility to create some decent midi representation of the instrument track/part/variation, for further processing within my DAW. Providing such midi representations of a track or a part, is what BB should focus on and where the most value is created.

If BB could play the instruments with my own VSTi's with the given audio setup right from the start, that would be even better.

Starting from a preset style with a given instrument lineup is a weird approach. Usually I already have some audio and midi tracks for my songs as a start. I just look for some idea, what a further instrument or riff could do for the given song or a particular part. Instead of generating a full new song in BB, an instrument based filter and style picker would create the most benefit. Just filtering a particular instrument from the style finder, look what it would sound like in the song, with the given chords and a selectable style. Afterwards copying it to the DAW as midi file or Real Track as desired. By the way, this would likely also solve most of the performance issues with BB as it wouldn't have to generate an entire song every time.

I would like to create my own band lineup of instruments for a song and see what ideas BB could contribute to the song under those circumstances. I would like to select and mix different styles for different instruments. Maybe the outcome would be strange in most cases, but mabe also some good new ideas would come along with it.

Going beyond that, knowing that this vision may be some challenge for the programmers:

I am originally a guitar player and my capabilities on other instruments are pretty limited. I can convert melodies to midi notes, although those would not always match very well with the proper articulation of a desired target instrument. If I could feed BB with such a raw idea, either as a midi or audio track, letting BB create some proposals for a correctly played substitute that could be imported to my DAW, that would be perfect. All the other stuff BB comes with, just looks like huge overhead to me. It just distracts me from the real job.

BiaB2023 Plus, Win11, AMD 6-core, 32GByte RAM, RME Fireface UFX, Samplitude ProX7, REAPER 6, Studio ne 5, Melodyne Studio, Toontrack SD3, iZotope MP4, NI Komplete 12, Korg Collection, etc.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Thanks for the message.

> It seems that BB creates its own DX Audio stuff in parallel and messes around with the set audio bitrates.

BB doesn’t mess with any set audio bitrates. Perhaps you could provide some details of what is happening.

> Why not keeping the whole subject lean and simple for the user?
> Starting from a preset style with a given instrument lineup is a weird approach. Usually I already have some audio and midi tracks for my songs as a start. I just look for some idea, what a further instrument or riff could do for the given song or a particular part. Instead of generating a full new song in BB, an instrument based filter and style picker would create the most benefit. Just filtering a particular instrument from the style finder, look what it would sound like in the song, with the given chords and a selectable style.

All that is there already, in both the VST and the program. Please give an example of something that you want to do, but can’t. For example, adding a sax solo to an existing DAW project is a routine thing that lots of people do.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Roland S
I doubt that any musician or producer would use it to do a complete production of a song. There are too many limitations and the sound quality isn't just good enough. Not even the Audiophile version would match current recording standards.

While I would agree with some of your comments, especially about the GUI, you are just flat out WRONG with this point! I have personally sold lots of my BIAB tracks through libraries and I do NOT have the audiophile version!

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
I doubt that any musician or producer would use it to do a complete production of a song. There are too many limitations and the sound quality isn't just good enough. Not even the Audiophile version would match current recording standards.

While I would agree with some of your comments, especially about the GUI, you are just flat out WRONG with this point! I have personally sold lots of my BIAB tracks through libraries and I do NOT have the audiophile version!

I agree with JohnJohnJohn regarding the quality and usefulness of BIAB generated tracks in recording projects. Both for home recordings and commercial studio recordings.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 01/28/20 01:35 PM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
I found your post interesting, but I reality I think many of the problems are lack of experience with the program. This program is deep, and as you mentioned can get confusing, even overwhelming. But for simple creation it is very solid. Spend a little more time with it, and ask detailed but focused questions. Include pictures or videos of problems. Be specific and stay with one issue at a time. There are many here that will help you,

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
RolandS one of the things I really love about BIAB is the ability to “create my own band”. I believe the main limitation to BIAB is my own imagination. I’m sure if I had a better imagination I could get more from BIAB but I am to blame for that no one else.

When I use RealStyles I very seldom use the exact RealTracks as given. I imagine what “my band” needs and add those components. Then once the song is put together I tend to have instruments in the areas I want them. For example, I tend to keep the piano tracks on the right side and picking guitar bits on the left. I rarely have instruments swapping all over the place. If I had a real band I would not have instruments jumping about.

I reckon I generate pretty good backing tracks for myself and find I’m doing songs my way which I really enjoy. I love it when someone comes up and says I didn’t know you could do that song that way.

Anyway enough rant. I believe one is only limited by ones imagination.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Roland S, First of all welcome to the PG Music forum and to Band-in-a-Box. I hope you will become a frequent forum contributor in both posts and User Showcase song links.

I don't remember seeing Peter Gannon respond to the first post of many new members. I thought that it is pretty neat that the creator and company owner is interested to read and respond to your first post.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thanks to all of your replies
I have to apologize for some of my previous statements. There was likely a certain degree of frustration involved, after struggling with the program(s) and tutorials for almost 2 weeks. Meanwhile I could overcome many of my initial problems and discovered that the program provides a lot more functionality than I could even think of.

Nevertheless I still see some room for improvement. Not so much from a functional point of view, but more from a workflow perspective.
As soon as I will find the time, I plan to explain in more detail where I am coming from, where I am heading for and how the program could support me more straight forward and intuitive in this process.

If this could help future newbies to get good results quicker and with less frustration, this should be in everybody's interest.

I will try to make sure that I havn't missed out on some functionality/workflow that already exists. So I definitely have to dig a bit deeper into the subject.

BiaB2023 Plus, Win11, AMD 6-core, 32GByte RAM, RME Fireface UFX, Samplitude ProX7, REAPER 6, Studio ne 5, Melodyne Studio, Toontrack SD3, iZotope MP4, NI Komplete 12, Korg Collection, etc.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Dear Peter,

Thanks for your reply and this great program.

I use a RME Fireface UFX which is set to 96kHz/24Bit, in conjunction with the RME (Windows 10) ASIO driver. I use this setup with my DAW(s) and all other music programs. Whilst RealBand worked fine with this setting as well, Band in a Box always switched to 44.1kHz when it was opened. Since I set the preferences in Band in Box from ASIO to "WAS", everything works fine now.

Regarding my workflow and wishlist, I will prepare a detailed description as soon as possible. I found out, that most of the desired functionality already exists in Band in a Box somehow/somewhere. I just couldn't find it or I just didn't understand what the program was doing in a particular case and why. I think some minor enhancements could make life a lot easier for many users. As said, I will come back to that soon.

Roland

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
Here's a GUI idea:
Pipeline, That is a great looking toolbar mock-up. I especially like the add / remove icon feature.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Roland S,

Check out the +++ Groove3.com +++ tutorial videos for Windows and for Mac. The Windows and Mac video series are also available +++ DIRECT +++ from Groove3.com.

Both video series are a great introduction to Band-in-a-Box and how to use many of its features. The Band-in-a-Box (BiaB) for Mac series is 30 videos with 2 hours and 50 minutes of content. The BiaB for Windows series is 23 videos with 1 hour and 56 minutes. Both series offer video samples and extensive overviews and outlines.

I purchased the BiaB for Windows series so I can download the videos for offline viewing. Groove3 also offers a monthly subscription that allows you to access all their content.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thanks for the hint!

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Sorry for the large post, but I think it is necessary to understand where I am coming from.

I see the future of BB in the plugin and the content delivered. Seamless integration with DAWs is the key for success and content is where the money can be earned. Regarding integration - I work a lot with Melodyne Studio and really appreciate the comfort of the ARA integration with my DAW(s). BB's unique selling point is the creation of additional tracks and variation of styles. Tools like RealBand may be good as a quick start for beginners, but I doubt it will be able to compete with already established DAWs over time - unless somebody wants to invest a huge amount of money and effort in development. I personally wouldn't do so.
From my own experience and the colleagues I know, most users stick with their favourite DAW as long as they can - once they have found a decent one.

----------

My main work scenario, Band in a Box should support:

In my DAW I already have an audio jam track of a band rehearsal, without a constant tempo (but tempo markers). Maybe I already have some vocal melody, a midi drum track and some guitar tracks along with it. I want to create a proper song from that, bringing some structure to it, creating additional parts/bridges and further instruments. Band in a Box shall help me doing so.

Stage 1 - Preparation:

So my first challenge is to make BB aware of what is already there and what I likely want to keep. Intuitively I would try to copy and paste those tracks to the related BB tracks - to the VST plugin or the standalone version - either as midi file or audio file. When using the VST plugin, I would expect that it has automatically taken over the project tempo from the DAW or giving me the chance to import some tempo map.
- So far I have not found a way to import multiple audio files
- The project tempo from the DAW is not taken over by the plugin
- I couldn't import any midi file from my DAW project folder to any of the plugin tracks

Here my first level of frustration starts. From what I understood from the tutorials so far, I have to import one of the audio tracks only. As I can't import a midi chord track, I have to create the chord sheet and tempo changes in BB manually or try to use the ACW function. The tempo detection there is ok. The chord detection in ACW didn't deliver satisfying results to me yet. Means a lot of manual correction work again before storing the result as a raw song idea.

Stage 2 - The creative part

Usually I already have some idea what I would like to try out on the song. As an (extreme) example that may not make much sense: Adding some funky slap bass plus some gypsy style guitar along with a country style fiddle and some synth pad. Usually I already have some midi drum file from Toontrack's SD3 as a rhythmic basis, but that doesn't seem to help me much with BB.

Here I reach my second level of frustration. I can select a style from the style picker and BB will create some nice song for me. But it sounds like a typical song of this style/genre would sound like.
- No mix of styles
- little influence on instruments used with the predefined style (I could change the sound on midi tracks, but the playing style of the original instrument remains)

Don't get me wrong, but the whole reminds me a bit of instant soup (which nevertheless may taste good). But I want to create something different. Probably I could search for the various instruments and styles, switch the styles for the song sequentially and bring single tracks back into my DAW after each generation. But that will become pretty time consuming and requires a lot of patience. I am also a bit afraid that the results won't be as good as they could be, as in such a case BB won't have any idea about the tracks used in my song and their melodic interaction.

Stage 3 - Refining the song, arranging and mixing

Most of this job I will do in my DAW. There I have all the comfortable mixing and editing functions and I am used to the workflow. Although the RealTracks sound good and I might keep some of them, in most cases I will prefer a midi file to work with. I have tons of good sounding VST instruments available and tweaking around with sounds, tempo changes and melodic corrections is a lot easier using midi. So getting midi tracks from BB is cruical for me. In some cases I might be able to convert a RealTrack to midi myself, but if possible, I would like to avoid that additional step.

Summary of my desired improvements:
- when adding the BB plugin in the DAW, the plugin should automatically take over the project tempo from the DAW, as other plugins do.
- I want to be able to import/drop an audio or midi file from the DAW clipboard to any of the predefined mixer tracks in the BB plugin or standalone version.
- A CW function on a midi track should make chord recognition a lot easier for BB, helping me to fill the chord sheet without retyping everything.
- An instrument and style selection per track would be wonderful (if not explicitly choosen, the overall song style can still be used as default)
- Midi files available for all RealTracks, that could be brought back into my DAW.

Maybe some of my desired improvements already exist in BB and I just couldn't find them yet. In this case I have watched the wrong tutorials so far.

-----

After having said all that, I discovered that RealBand might be able to solve some of the subjects above. But after some first enthusiasm, trying out and reading another manual - it seems to to be another dead end. I haven't found any way to sync RealBand with my DAW. I am stuck, getting confused and frustration starts again...

Maybe I should rather practise with my real instruments instead of playing with the computer.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
> Maybe I should rather practise with my real instruments instead of playing with the computer.

I think you’ve partly run into problems because you’ve started off a first project with something too complicated (a song that isn’t at a constant tempo, that you also need BIAB to figure out the chords to). That just creates extra time and work for you. My advice would be to make your first project with BIAB to be a simple one, meaning one with a single tempo. Then add your own instruments playing to those constant tempo tracks.

There are over 8,000 original songs in the UserShowcase Forum, where people have done similar projects to yours, audio and MIDI, using Band-in-a-Box, their DAW and their added tracks.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C

BB's unique selling point is the creation of additional tracks and variation of styles. Tools like RealBand may be good as a quick start for beginners... most users stick with their favorite DAW as long as they can.

You've laid out a good work flow. DAW, BIAB, RB, DAW

My main work scenario, Band in a Box should support:

In my DAW I already have an audio jam track of a band rehearsal, without a constant tempo (but tempo markers). Maybe I already have some vocal melody, a midi drum track and some guitar tracks along with it. I want to create a proper song from that, bringing some structure to it, creating additional parts/bridges and further instruments. Band in a Box shall help me doing so.

Let your audio jam track be your starting point. It can be an audio file or a midi file. It can be a live field recording of your entire band rehearsing a song.

Stage 1 - Preparation:

So my first challenge is to make BB aware of what is already there (either as midi file or audio file). Use BIAB or RealBand to give you the chance to import some tempo map.

Yes. That is how you should begin your project. By importing an existing recorded audio file or midi file, you can use BIAB or RB tools to create a chord chart, tempo map, determine the key signature from your existing song.

- So far I have not found a way to import multiple audio files

You only need a single audio or midi file to work with between BIAB/RB and your DAW.

- The project tempo from the DAW is not taken over by the plugin

This is not necessary. Use BIAB or RB in stand alone mode.

- I couldn't import any midi file from my DAW project folder to any of the plugin tracks

If you're using a midi file and not an audio rendered from a midi file, open that midi file you want to use in BIAB. BIAB will automatically analyze the chords and populate the chord chart. It can be a midi file you play or program or it can be a commercial midi file you've purchased or downloaded from the internet.

Here my first level of frustration starts. From what I understood from the tutorials so far, I have to import one of the audio tracks only.
As I can't import a midi chord track, I have to create the chord sheet and tempo changes in BB manually or try to use the ACW function.
The tempo detection there is ok. The chord detection in ACW didn't deliver satisfying results to me yet. Means a lot of manual correction work again before storing the result as a raw song idea.

See my comments above. Opening a midi file, every thing is automatically decoded or a single audio file can be processed by the Audio Chord Wizard (ACW).

Stage 2 - The creative part

Usually I already have some idea what I would like to try out on the song. Usually I already have some midi drum file from Toontrack's SD3 as a rhythmic basis, but that doesn't seem to help me much with BB.

It will help once you adjust your workflow.

Here I reach my second level of frustration. I can select a style from the style picker and BB will create some nice song for me. But it sounds like a typical song of this style/genre would sound like.

You can either select a style, either RealStyle, Midi or a hybrid style of both. This is not necessary if you want to add individual instruments to play along in the style you have already determined with your initial DAW band rehearsal recording. That will be the groove you are trying to match using individual instruments, either midi, super midi or RealTracks.

- No mix of styles

You can mix, match, modify and change styles all you want.

- little influence on instruments used with the predefined style

Midi instruments and styles are completely editable. RealTracks are recorded audio and are not as editable as midi but there are techniques to maximize and make these tracks unique and distinct to your song.

Don't get me wrong, but the whole reminds me a bit of instant soup (which nevertheless may taste good). But I want to create something different. Probably I could search for the various instruments and styles, switch the styles for the song sequentially and bring single tracks back into my DAW after each generation. But that will become pretty time consuming and requires a lot of patience. I am also a bit afraid that the results won't be as good as they could be, as in such a case BB won't have any idea about the tracks used in my song and their melodic interaction.

You are correct that you have to tell BIAB/RB what you're looking for but consider that to be the same as if you have hired live session musicians to contribute tracks to your project.

Stage 3 - Refining the song, arranging and mixing

Most of this job I will do in my DAW. There I have all the comfortable mixing and editing functions and I am used to the workflow. Although the RealTracks sound good and I might keep some of them, in most cases I will prefer a midi file to work with. I have tons of good sounding VST instruments available and tweaking around with sounds, tempo changes and melodic corrections is a lot easier using midi. So getting midi tracks from BB is crucial for me. In some cases I might be able to convert a RealTrack to midi myself, but if possible, I would like to avoid that additional step.

You can just use midi tracks if that's what you prefer to use. Save a track as midi, open this saved midi file in your DAW and apply your preferred VST instrument from your DAW library.

Summary of my desired improvements:
- when adding the BB plugin in the DAW, the plugin should automatically take over the project tempo from the DAW, as other plugins do.

I recommend you create your BIAB tracks in the full version rather than the VST version in the beginning. The full version has many more features and options and knowing the full version will help you a lot when you do work with the VST and your DAW together.

- I want to be able to import/drop an audio or midi file from the DAW clipboard to any of the predefined mixer tracks in the BB plugin or standalone version.

It's very easy to open an audio file or midi file in BIAB to work with on a BIAB project. If you are having issues, just place your question here on the forum.

- A CW function on a midi track should make chord recognition a lot easier for BB, helping me to fill the chord sheet without retyping everything.

Opening a midi file in BIAB automatically analyzes the chords and populates the chord chart, sets the tempo and key signature. It's a great way to get a jump start on a project.

- An instrument and style selection per track would be wonderful (if not explicitly chosen, the overall song style can still be used as default)

Regarding RealTrack instruments, I recommend you work with individual instruments from the RealTrack picker to find instruments that fit the recorded audio recording of your band rehearsal.
- Midi files available for all RealTracks, that could be brought back into my DAW.

Here you should select RealTracks that contain Real Charts. If a RealTrack has a chart, the RealTrack name is underlined. Real Charts are midi.

After having said all that, I discovered that RealBand might be able to solve some of the subjects above. But after some first enthusiasm, trying out and reading another manual - it seems to to be another dead end. I haven't found any way to sync RealBand with my DAW. I am stuck, getting confused and frustration starts again...

Use RealBand as an intermediary step between constructing your song in BIAB and your DAW. It has many features to help select and generate additional tracks for your project.

Maybe I should rather practice with my real instruments instead of playing with the computer.

I suggest you create a recording of a song you want to use in a BIAB project, use it to locate and generate midi and RealTracks to supplement your live recording and import all that together into your DAW and create your song just as you imagine it to sound.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hi Charlie,
Thank You so much for your helpful explanations and your hints. At least it looks as if I am not completely off track with my observations. I am not so happy having to deal with 3 different programs (RB, BIAB Standalone, VST) in parallel with my DAW, but it seems to be all I can do at the moment.

Your example about the hired session musician is great. More or less that's the job I expect from BIAB. However I would rather expect the musician aligning with the rest of the band somehow, not necessarily bringing his own band with him and playing the song completely his way and in his tempo. That's probably why I am not so keen on creating the song in the BIAB standalone version upfront. But if I have to do so, I still can mute the rest of his band and copy only him.

For the desired (slight) tempo changes in my song I will have to find some solution. Most songs I do with constant tempo, however sometimes small tempo variations within the song will give it a more natural human touch. That's another good argument for having midi files at hand. Tempo changes are handled by the DAW automatically, without degrading the sound by further audio stretching operations.

I use the Ultra+ version of BIAB. I think the libraries cover the traditional American music styles very well. I can't think of anything that couldn't be found there. (If unavoidable I will also find a way to convert the RealTracks to midi).

Where I would like to see more content of, is the New Age stuff and all kind of other styles from around the world. Let it be African, Oriental, Asian, Balkan, Eastern Europe Gypsy styles, etc.
Especially the African rhythms and oriental instruments are something I am very keen on.
Although I am not a big fan of it, even Hip-Hop, EDM, Rap and other contemporary styles might come handy sometimes.

Thanks once more for your help!

Cheers
Roland

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
"For the desired (slight) tempo changes in my song I will have to find some solution."

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCRt2hQ137M

Jump to 37:45 for demonstration and instructions on how to get a click track for audio recorded without a click track

Your work flow seems like it will be best to work with starting your project in a DAW or with other recorded audio and then bring in BIAB instruments based on your existing song. knowing that makes it easier to get BIAB/RB to work for you and not against you.

Every so often a joke goes around the forum that BIAB always shows up, never tires of playing the same tune over and over, will practice for hours and won't ever run off with your spouse. That's the joke.

But, the truth is, it will show up dumb as a rock, not know the songs, the key, tempo or chord progression.... You have to tell it everything.
wink

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 02/09/20 03:23 AM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,305
Posts731,336
Members38,410
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DJ Jazzy Jimbob, PatSar63, danidatoad, resower, Nicholas -PG Music
38,410 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 213