Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
I want a video that shows me how to ....
D
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
I enjoy coming up with new chord sequences. I use my guitar and go from scratch or I begin with an existing song and change things around .. or I use the BIAB Melodist Generate Chords function; my favorite and most useful preset is 58 Rock Fast, under Rock 8ths (Pop). Most of the other presets don't give me what I need. I will run 58 Rock Fast for the whole song and then regenerate bars in sets of two or more where I don't like the results.

The problem is this: I have no idea how to most effectively use all the options under the Melodist Maker Edit button. I sometimes get great final results but I have no idea why. Hit or miss can get annoying, especially when there are mostly misses.

I'd like a video explaining how to pick numbers to be inserted into the boxes for "Number of variations to choose from", Mix minor and major progressions", "Choose unusual chord progressions", and any other boxes that affect which chords get generated and how they are placed on the chord sheet. If possible, I'd like to learn how to exclude certain chord types from the generated chord sequence. Any instruction on how to get better and more consistent usable results would be appreciated.

Don L. Turner

BIAB Audiophile 2021
Studio One 4
D
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
I am surprised at the lack of interest in this topic. I'm sure 58 Rock Fast is not the only useful preset (it's just my favorite), but if you learn how to use one preset you know them all. The only other possibility for low interest is folks just don't use this feature to create chord sequences for new songs. I have found it very useful, allowing me to come up with dozens of chords sequences I would have never thought of by myself.

Maybe if a video was created showing the possibilities, this feature would gain popularity.

Don L. Turner

BIAB Audiophile 2021
Studio One 4
Veteran
Veteran
Don,

I haven't used the Melodist feature so I'm not familiar with its options or how to use it. However the description available in the manual starting at page 300 or by pressing the Help button appears to describe what each option does pretty well.

There is a 15 minute video covering both the Soloist and Melodist features +++ HERE +++. The video is located in the Archive video section.

An easy way to find any specific video is to navigate to the page, press Ctrl + F and enter a search term. In this case I entered the term "Melodist" without the quotes. The up arrow and down arrow next to the search box act as previous / next buttons that will navigate between occurrences of the search term.

Hope this helps.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
D
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Hello Jim. Thank you for taking the time to respond so thoroughly. I've seen the videos and was aware of what the manual says; the descriptions are too general to be helpful.

The thing I hoped for may not even be possible. The most important parts of the "melodist maker" (click "Edit..." to see it) are controlled by numbers. I was hoping to get an explanation of which numbers have what effect on the generated chord sequence. Sometimes I get great results, especially after I regenerate parts I don't like. Too often the results are uninspiring or unusable. I thought maybe certain combinations of numbers might be more useful and might have a repeatably good result.

Thank you anyway,
Don

Don L. Turner

BIAB Audiophile 2021
Studio One 4
Veteran
Veteran
Don,

I understand what you're saying. I think trying to provide a formula or method that suggests what numbers to change and by how much would be very difficult. In that respect it would sort of like asking a cook to define "season to taste" from a favorite recipe.

Perhaps broad strokes could be applied to the descriptions through the addition of phrases like,"lowering "X" seeks more simple phrases" and "raising "X" seeks more complex phrases". At least then a user could develop a better idea of what changes to try.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
D
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Yesterday I used Melodist preset 58 Rock Fast once again, with the three important numbers fairly low. After some regenerating of chords I did not like, and after a little manual editing ... I once again came up with a chord sequence I would have never thought of on my own. It was an AABA song structure with B being a bridge section and A being verses, one of my favorite song structures. Somehow, the B section was in a different key but transitioned back into the song key at the bridge's end. That kind of stuff is over my head, but with BIAB's Melodist preset 58 Rock Fast I managed to make it happen.

It's a shame that I'll try a dozen more times and give up in frustration from the poor results.

It's numbers ... and how they affect a chord sequence and space between chord changes. Lower numbers do make for simpler chords but there must be a known effect (perhaps by the original programmer) of what number (or range of numbers) does what and how different numbers in different dialog boxes might affect each other in the final result.

Perhaps results are more or less random and no further explanation is possible. If that is true, then so be it. But if there can be an effective, explainable method for generating better chord sequences, it would be great to let those of us who use this function have a better, more specific understanding of how to make use of it.

Don L. Turner

BIAB Audiophile 2021
Studio One 4
Veteran
Veteran
Many different programs, not just music ones have controls like that. Photo editing for example. What I do is start with the lowest number, zero if it's available, see what that does then try the highest number and do that several times. That usually tells you how it works. Then put that control number back to zero and do the next one. Don't try testing 2 or 3 of them at the same time, too confusing to keep track of.

When you said the bridge section went to a different key and then transitioned back, that's standard procedure in all kinds of songs in many different genre's. Biab follows classical musical concepts and that kind of thing happens all the time. There are songs that have 2, 3 or 4 key changes going on. Biab also has a practice function where you set it to play a set of chords in all 12 keys using the cycle of 5ths every 8 or 12 bars so you can practice along and get familiar with how those keys sound relative to each other.

That's where Biab gets it reputation as a great teaching tool as well as creating songs from scratch or from what you input.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
D
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Thanks for the advice, Bob. I've been progressively changing numbers in all three areas that seem to have an effect on the chord sequence. Perhaps leaving two at the lowest setting and just changing one may give me a better understanding of what's happening. Then, I can incorporate changes to one other area and see what happens, and then to the last affecting area.

I'll try that and see if I can glean the underlying secrets of the Melodist.

Don L. Turner

BIAB Audiophile 2021
Studio One 4
D
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Well, I give up on experimenting with BIAB Melodist Generate Chords function, looking for the best method to use it. I cannot see any particular combination that gives consistently useful results (for my music needs). Perhaps, it's just a random thing, with no rhyme or reason to the numbers in the "Number of variations to choose from", Mix minor and major progressions", "Choose unusual chord progressions" or other checkboxes.

I will keep using the Melodist to generate chords and just keep regenerating all or part of the results, and making my own changes, until I get something I want.

But if there is, in fact, a more organized way to deal with the Melodist Generate Chords function, I hope that eventually it will be revealed in an instructional video.

Don L. Turner

BIAB Audiophile 2021
Studio One 4
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Hey, Don just out of curiousty how much have you tinkered with the chord selector in the chord track in SD1?

by the way part of SC are you in?

Last edited by Rob Helms; 12/25/19 01:53 PM.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
D
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Not very much, I'm afraid. I've been plagued by tinnitus for a long while and have not used my daw at all recently. In fact, I can only work with BIAB for a short while, provided the reverb is off. In the past my tinnitus would come and go; so far, it hasn't gotten better yet.

I know that the chord track works okay in some instances, especially with midi. And I had planned to turn one track into midi in the plugin version to capture BIAB chords in the chord track; haven't tried it but it should work.

I live in the upstate of SC; not comfortable with being more specific than that.

Don L. Turner

BIAB Audiophile 2021
Studio One 4
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I have had fairly good results with the chord track especially with audio from the BiaB plugin. It might be advantageous to tinker with it in SD4 maybe open up a BiaB song in the plugin and transfer the chords from an audio track to the chords track then open the chord track wheel thing and poke around some.

I understand your reluctance to nail your location down. One never knows who reads here. There are several users here in the upstate. Myself, Charlie Fogle, Mountainside, to name a few. Seems the area is well represented here at PGM.

Regards, Rob

Last edited by Rob Helms; 01/26/20 04:08 AM.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Moderated by  Blake - PG Music 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,469
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195