Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
rap429 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I'm curious to see what others think the greatest technical advancement for musicians is over the last decade. In my opinion, I believe it has to be the availability of on-demand video of great teachers on just about any instrument or production technique you want to learn. What are your thoughts?

Veteran
Veteran
I think software tools have really advanced. Two that I have in mind are Melodyne and iZotope products.

Melodyne has really made break throughs in pitch correction and MIDI conversion.

iZotope's Ozone and Neutron have really come up with some good tools like Tonal Balance, Track Referencing, Mix Assistant, and TONS more.

These tech tools really make life easier for those of us who don't have the coin to visit a professional studio. They work flawlessly with our personal home recording studios.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
I definitely agree it is software! Tools like BIAB, Reaper (or any modern DAW) and Izotope are the Great Equalizers that mean I can release professional tracks without taking a second mortgage to pay for musicians, studio recording/engineering and mastering!

And BIAB is def at the top of that list. It is nothing short of AMAZING what it can do! That is why I'm so passionate about seeing it fixed and improved.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
For me it was affordable 24 bit A/D.

I can't remember the last time I thought about spending more than 30 seconds setting recording levels. I know that if I'm getting some green lights on my Scarlett, I've got more than enough clean signal to work with.

I know, kind of boring. But it makes getting clean ideas down so much easier and with less worry about noise.

-Scott

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
For me, it was Bandlab (Sonar reborn) as a free DAW. Impressive and totally free with many added features including Melodyne and several other mastering tools. Definitely the decade was a great advancement in software for the everyday user.

https://wfrayer.wixsite.com/william-rayer
Music makes life possible!
Veteran
Veteran
It would be the advances in software. Things like BiaB, Melodyne, Ozone.....to name only a few.... unheard of quality and ease of use.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
Ditto on the software with an emphasis on the power to cost ratio of the latest DAW's. My Logic Pro X costs $199 which includes lifetime frequent upgrades, a zillion plug-ins, loops, sounds and drums.

Bud

Expert
Expert
Cheating a little, in that 2007 was 13 years ago, but I'm going to have to say Real Tracks.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Ditto on the software with an emphasis on the power to cost ratio of the latest DAW's. My Logic Pro X costs $199 which includes lifetime frequent upgrades, a zillion plug-ins, loops, sounds and drums.

Bud

I agree. What we have in Biab, soft synths and hard synths and our DAWs, including RB, would have cost us thousands of dollars 20-30 years ago. That would put all of us out of music for fun and I'll bet most of us would have stopped playing by now.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
I think number 1 is the decade long continual advancement in mechanical and solid state memory technologies. In 2009 1 GB SD cards were expensive and hard drives were phasing from 40 GB to 80 GB storage space. It was common for computers to ship with 1 GB of ram and 4 GB was extravagant. I don't think consumer solid state drives were available in 2019.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
I think number 1 is the decade long continual advancement in mechanical and solid state memory technologies. In 2009 1 GB SD cards were expensive and hard drives were phasing from 40 GB to 80 GB storage space. It was common for computers to ship with 1 GB of ram and 4 GB was extravagant. I don't think consumer solid state drives were available in 2019.

Below are the specs for my first Mac in 2009. This was the base model. I ordered it with the terabyte drive and cheaply and easily upgraded it to 24 GB RAM.

Perhaps Apple was ahead of the curve:)

“The iMac "Core 2 Duo" 3.06 21.5-Inch Aluminum (Late 2009) features a 3.06 GHz Intel "Core 2 Duo" processor (E7600), with two independent processor "cores" on a single silicon chip, a 3 MB shared level 2 cache, a 1066 MHz system bus, 4 GB of RAM (1066 MHz PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM), a 500 GB or 1 TB (7200 RPM) hard drive. .”

Veteran
Veteran
As a programmer it's hard for me to vote against software, but I vote for SSD drives.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
The widespread ownership and power of today's home PC is the glue to nearly all of the choices commented on. As the common denominator, most of the advances mentioned are advances that increase PC power and complexity while in many cases, greatly reducing cost. I think of the difference between 1 GB SD card and 1 TB SSD hard drive as more a convenience than a technical advancement to a home studio.

The home studio environment broke the 10-50 thousand dollar barrier in 1972 when TEAC (Tascam) introduced their 2340/3340 reel to reel decks. Other manufacturers quickly followed with their own versions and models and the true home studio market was born. TEAC exploded the market in 1979 introducing the cassette based Porta-Studios. Again other manufacturers quickly followed with their own versions and models.

The home recording studio recorder quality evolved from amateur demo quality to commercial radio ready quality in 1990 when consumer digital hardware became available at a reasonable cost. If $3,499 can be considered reasonable. It was a reasonable cost to what major commercial studios used. A home studio project now had access to a physical recorder capable of matching any recorder in any major studio in the world in recording quality. Tascam DA-88's and similar Alesis digital 8 tracks were in major studios, minor studios and bedrooms.

These are milestones that changed the recording industry for both commercial and consumer recording. The common denominator between both markets was cost and track limitations.

Next came the PC based software DAW's. Software overcame both the cost and track limitation barriers. Cost is somewhat a misnomer because although the cost itself has been enormously reduced, in many studios, and all studios to some degree, that cost reduction is reduced and offset with the purchase of software programs, VST's, VSTi's that in some studios run tens of thousands of dollars cost themselves. The strangest thing I find about PC software is it's entirely based on emulating and imitating classic hardware accessories like compressors, equalizers, reverb, delays, and channel strips and also hardware recorders and preferred over hardware choices even though it comes with a difficult learning curve.

In much the same way that I think of the advances in digital storage benefits in a home or commercial studio being more of a convenience than an advancement that changes the core and path of the recording industry, I think subsequent advances and improvements in PC software to be the same, convenient. An exception could be software that manipulates audio in a manner that did not exist before its invention or is impossible to do with hardware, but I can't think of an example at the moment of such a software that has fundamentally changed how audio and music is recorded in pro studios and home studios. I think of Software in comparison to a toaster. The introduction of toasters changed how we make toast. After that initial introduction to cooking, future toasters could make four, eight or 16 pieces of toast which improved the efficiency and further reduced the cost of making toast but did not change fundamentally the process of making toast.

The problem naming the greatest music tech advance of the past decade is most, if not all the things mentioned were introduced prior to 2010. If they transformed the commercial and consumer music industry, they did so at the time of their introduction, not with subsequent improvements and advances. Edshaw's 2007 example of the introduction of RealTracks is an excellent example. RealTracks have increased in quantity and quality but they are still RealTracks that changed BIAB when they were introduced. Of course, BIAB itself was a fairly old software program by the time RealTracks and RealDrums were introduced.

PC audio software did fundamentally change how music is recorded and processed in both the commercial and consumer markets. It's advanced and improved how we record and process audio and narrowed the gap between quality and quantity of the commercial and consumer markets. The biggest barrier between commercial and consumer end product is now the investment cost of a commercial recording studio environment versus a home bedroom/garage setup. The investment commercial studios put into high quality, professional grade software programs. The operator's education, experience and expertise operating these complex software programs. The investment in hardware such as microphones and external processors. The gap, even with actual recorder of equal quality, remains huge.

To me, although initially introduced in 2004, the newest version of computer hardware to impact and technically advance home and small commercial recording abilities over the last decade is the stand alone, multi track, digital recorder.

A stand alone digital recorder immediately eliminates every tracking issue users face in every DAW recording the user makes. It completely eliminates the need for an audio interface, audio drivers, interface power source, CPU, OS requirements, Physical connections and types, available connection slots, Audio interface installation and updates, Microsoft and Mac OS updates screwing with and changing or disabling your system setup. It will work with whatever computer one currently has for audio and will also work with any and all audio computers you will have in the future. It eliminates operational obstacles like latency.

These factors and others aren't always truly appreciated by users for the immediate benefits received and removal of the above constant distractions from the recording tracking process. There are many benefits to not tracking through a consumer audio interface and doing it without losing quality in the audio. You will always find the input specs of a modern stand alone recorder and the line level outputs to be comparable to any similar cost audio interface. But you will almost always get more inputs, outputs, routing options, digital effects engines, the ability to move more than a single fader at once. They are completely zero latency devices. These devices are portable. Some can be battery operated and are smaller than a paperback novel. They come with many options and differences between brands and models making it super easy to get a unit that has features optimized for your personal recording (tracking) needs and preferences. They all have multiple means to interface and transfer files to and from a PC and DAW. You do not lose any capability of current or future software programs.

So for me, the greatest music tech advance of the past decade is the latest iteration of the stand alone, digital multi track recorder like the Tascam Model 16/24. For $700, the Model 16 provides 10 preamps equal in quality and specs to four and eight channel audio interfaces and record at A/D Resolution of 24-bit/48 kHz. Optimized for a home studio, the Tascam DP-24/32 is in most cases, an even better choice. $400 current cost is very appealing. For artists that record mostly for personal entertainment, using portable units like the Tascam DP-006. 008, 03 or the zoom R8 that all list for $300 or less would be a solid and good choice. Don't be fooled or taken back by their size and cost, properly paired with quality recording gear like condenser mics, external channel strips, external mic preamps, analog or digital mixers, these units are very capable of capturing commercial grade audio clips.

Examine today's digital multi track recorders to be used the same way the DA-88 digital recorders were connected into analog recording chains in the 1990's where the DA-88 replaced analog reel to reel recorders to fully realize the recording functionality that's often overlooked and certainly under-used in modern home recording studios.

I'm not sure how these devices gained a reputation of being sub-standard to a DAW because they're not. They're not toys. Do a side by side comparison of the 4 Track Teac 3340s of 1972 that sold for more than $1,000 to the 24 track Tascam 2488 of 2004 that sold for less than $1,000 or the $199 four track DP-004 from 2008 and both units hands down have more features and better specs that the 3340 that made home recording affordable, possible to produce commercial grade audio and sophisticated enough to reside in bedrooms and main stream studios.

In comparison to PC's for tracking, these devices are more stable, easier to use, easier to learn and operate, and though some are plastic, with normal care, these devices will last for decades and never become obsolete.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 01/11/20 08:33 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
W
Expert
Expert
W
Well, 3 things come to mind:

1. Sample libraries with orchestral stuff is now generally of such a quality, that discussions about which is best these days is more about personal taste than about if it sounds naturally. Huge improvement compared with how they sounded 15 years ago.

2. That I now can play with and program synths like CS-80, Synclavier and Fairlight - synths that were completely out of my - and most other musicians - reach in the 70s and the 80s.

3. All the new possibilities in sound design we got with things like editing of wavetables, resampling and granular synthesis which got a breakthrough in the last decade with synths like Halion, Iris 2 and recently Pigments 2.

Life is good! smile

Will

Last edited by Will Josef; 01/11/20 01:56 PM.
L
Expert
Expert
L
For me, all of the above and high speed internet. Here in Hong Kong, I have 100 mb or whatever almost everywhere I go. Widespread wifi. It's also part of the glue.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Expert
Expert
Me! My technical abilities have advanced greatly in the past decade. But only due to all the cool stuff made available to me.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
Expert
Expert
Charlie Fogle: Thanks for again going into that wealth of knowledge and experience and taking the time to share it. As a faithful TASCAM user, I always pay close attention to your remarks. For example, I spent a couple of days last week with an Antares Voice and Instrument Processor I hauled out of a closet, still in the same Gator case it has been in for 15 years. I used it to tech the stage of a hip coffee shop in the 80's. In this recent incarnation, it will serve to feed a processed and monitored signal into the digital recorder allowing multiple mikes and guitars as needed.
As an aside, who could forget the iPod, 2001? Originally 512 Mb, capacity soon soared. I still have a classic 256 Gb. No moving parts. Now, there is a case where the product was designed to cram MP3's into a small space and before they were through, there wasn't the same need for compressed audio as there was at the outset. Somewhere in there, there is a message for each of us.

Veteran
Veteran
I went from a summer of recording two track reel to reel in a 1966 Atlanta studio > a Tascam Sound on Sound reel in the 70’s > Tascam porta 4 track cassette/8 track cassette units in the 90’s > several Fostex and Tascam HD units in early 2000’s > my current Logic Pro X DAW.

I could not envision working again with the 2000’s tech. The ability to quickly comp multiple RTs (and any other tracks of course) alone is worth way, way more than many times the price of my DAW. Not to mention the hundreds of fx, sounds, etc., that reside only a click or two away.

FWIW, IMHO, grains of salt, etc.

Bud

Veteran
Veteran
Charlie,

As long as you're talking about strictly audio recording, I agree with you. But there is an area of music production standalone digital recorders have forgotten, MIDI.

As far as I know none of the recorders offered at this time have midi input or output capability. None can act as a master and send MIDI transport data to remotely control a midi equipped keyboard. None can accept midi data.

Why did I say forgotten? Because many digital recorders sold in the 2000's had that functionality including the Zoom MRS series, TASCAM 2488 and Boss BR series.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<<< Why did I say forgotten? Because many digital recorders sold in the 2000's had that functionality including the Zoom MRS series, TASCAM 2488 and Boss BR series. >>>

They were not forgotten but instead, evolved beyond. I think research found those features unused and other devices were developed with far better features and capability to handle midi. A feature found on some models is the inclusion of a jack to accept a foot switch to control transport functions.

That all manufacturers jointly dropped midi is evidence it was obsolete to how the recorders were ultimately used by the greater majority of users. Every digital recorder, even the cheapest models, have stereo or 2 mono input that accepts line level audio output from keyboards, drum machines, effects machines and computers where midi manipulation is better suited.

EDIT: Here's a claim I can speculate about a digital stand alone recorder that separates it from every other music tech advance post 1970: Put a modern Tascam DP-24 in the hands of George Martin and the Beatles or Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys/wrecking crew in 1967 and give them only two hours to learn the physical operation and controls, and in the third hour that followed, the DP-24 would be connected and the artists would be making music beyond anything they could create with the existing technology of that day. Stand alone recorders are the only technology and medium that bridges the technology across the entire span of musical multi track recording from the late 50's - early 60's to today. Because it is completely a self-contained operating system that's not dependent on any other exterior connections than the physical audio connections, the OS technology would have worked just fine in 1967. From an operational standpoint, the terminology, physical connections, dials, buttons and faders would be familiar to the engineers, producers and artists back then. The physical audio connections were compatible. What I'm saying is if it were possible, a Tascam (or similar) digital stand alone recorder could directly replace the Ampeg 4 track 2" reel to Reel recorder in Abby Road Studios with a 24 track digital recorder in 1967 and every internal and external connection with he exception of USB and other operations specific to computer communication would work. From a tracking perspective, any lower end 4 track models with compatible connections could replace the tape machine.

Both keyboards and synthesizers technologies existed in this time period and were integrated and utilized in major studio recording by major artists like the Beatles and Beach Boys. Digital recorders did not exist so I suggest and think digital recorders, rather than DAW's, keyboards and synthesizers, are the greatest advance spanning the entire musical multi track existence. It is the single medium that would integrate and work in the same manner today.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 01/13/20 03:01 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
Not specifically made "for" music, Thunderbolt 3 ports. This connector (protocol) for externally connected devices (PC or Mac) for at lest the next 10 years or so. Future of Audio Interface connection. Most likely at some point, they will come out with TB4, 5, 6... but I am certain connector and super fast transfer speeds + power through a single cable, will stay with us for some time.

Also +1 for SSD's.

Expert
Expert
The first MIDI application I laid hands on was a Roland Keyboard (Pardon me, switching station) connected to a Korg Grand Piano module. Hasn't really been that long ago. All the sound was in the module. The keys were triggers. Now, that little rig could sound convincingly like a Steinway, a B-3, or any of 23 other selected keyboards. So, they knew at that time a system based on yes/no commands to a database would work. That legacy lives on in what we know as non-destructive editing.
I plead ignorance as to really understanding what goes on here. Matt Finley could no doubt shed light on the principles of MIDI.

Last edited by edshaw; 01/13/20 10:23 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
Thanks, Ed, but there are far better here than I am. Yes, I've programmed MIDI for three decades, but the keyboard players are generally more knowledgeable. MIDI actually doesn't represent the instruments I play very well (trumpet, flute, sax) but it's acceptable on vibes.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
Expert
Thanks, Matt. I thought that might be something you would have experience with. As it is, my understanding is that applications of MIDI to music composition and playing will be with us for years to come, in spite of the advances in sampling.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Yes still bright future for MIDI. Even wind instruments can be effectively reproduced via MIDI when playing with vsts such as those produced by Sample Modeling (www.samplemodeling.com) or Audio Modeling (www.audiomodeling.com). These vsts are best played via a wind controller if possible but with this a keyboard player can effectively play authentic sax or trombone/trumpet. There are so many amazing vst instruments nowadays from orchestral to rock and pop and they are still powered by MIDI.

Veteran
Veteran
I do have a wind controller, a Yamaha WX5. Bob 'Notes' Norton has one, and MarioD has that or similar.

The wind controllers do output MIDI and it can be very useful. I've used mine connected to a string section patch in BIAB to great effect.

I also played a gig one time where a family member had the lead role but the contractor was too cheap to hire enough musicians, so I covered the lead trumpet, flute, and acoustic bass book at the same time. I played acoustic bass on my wind controller. After all, it can be any patch (sound) you want.

There is a new standard being designed for MIDI. It is indeed far from dead.

M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
The only thing that is missing is someone writing an electronics workbench course featuring Reaktor. Today we have everything including virtual tape recording software, sequencers, vst' dxi's amplifier simulations. What hasn't been emulated? My only complaint is that the copyright laws regarding the world of University books is terrible. It is keeping so many modern conversations away from most people. No body is reading reason, logic, philosophical, psychology, new varieties of math and creative models and modes of science. Except for that it seems pretty close to Heaven.

Expert
Expert
One logical question to ask is, "How is database management in the Ai environment different from that in the conventional system?" That is a question PC Magazine had one of its senior editors 'splain.
https://www.pcmag.com/article/356818/ai-databases-what-they-are-and-why-your-business-should-car
The article is way more detailed than most of us really need, but it does indeed stimulate the imagination of what lies ahead, and not so far off.

Veteran
Veteran
Re: Wind Controllers
Although I have never used one (nor do I profess to know how), I've always been particularly impressed with these instruments.

Straight MIDI with Brass and Woodwind is generally pretty ordinary. It's the nuances that the artist provides via the controller that adds the realism.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,614
Posts735,141
Members38,516
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182