Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Quote:
But why is idea of freezing selected bars and generating(re-generating) unfrozen sections is not better?

I'm just talking the basics of being able to regenerate a section and leave the rest as it is like in RealBand.
You could implemented this in many different ways to give options.
If you just want it done to one section of one instrument without changing chords just to give a different riff.

Or if you change the chords and need to generate up all tracks in that section then you could have the color, freezing, un-freezing, inverting like you say.

I'm sure there would be more ways you could implement this but you need that basic function of being able to regenerate any section else none of it will work.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
RB-Re-Gen-Selection-All-1.png (235.03 KB, 184 downloads)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I am scared of RB...

Pipeline, thank you for explanation. I see it more clear now. Strange, why this was not implemented in BIAB so far in the game?

I believe this would solve my initial request of this post and my second biggest request, which is selective bar freeze.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Why are you scared of RB? What's up with that? I use it ALL THE TIME especially the selective generation part. It has 48 freaking tracks! You don't even need to mess with an already generated track by highlighting certain bars to change, just arm a new track and use that.

Say you want to wind up with 7 instruments. You can start with one Biab style for all 7 if you want but with RB you can have a different style for each track along with different chords for each track plus different part markers. RB is a DAW you have full control over everything!

You want to test an and experiment? You can set up 5 different tracks for each instrument each with it's own chord grid and style. Midi or audio. Different synths for the midi tracks, different RT's for the audio tracks. For your 7 instrument song you are STILL only using 35 of the 48 available tracks! Do you see the possibilities here? AND, this is using each track to individually test each instrument. You can break each track down into groups of bars and separately generate those sections. How many choices would have then? 35 tracks broken up into say 8 bar sections? Are you kidding me? You could spend months auditioning and mixing all those combinations of styles, chords, drum tracks, fills, all using midi and audio.

RB is not perfect but it is NOT some useless POS program that crashes all the time! Anything can be improved including RB but because of all the criticism it looks like all focus is on the plugin. OK fine. It can't replace RB yet but it's getting there but for now RB is pretty much solving all your concerns.

I just don't get all the disdain for RB. It's fantastic imho.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal

Bob

I agree, Bob.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal

One of my favorite sayings:
"Everything's easier when you know how"

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Bob,
I do not know how to put it gently...as this was just discussed in another forum topic. I feel that RB is 8-10 years behind top 5 DAWS. I do not want to invest my very limited time to learn something that had not seen love in loooooooooooooonnng time smile

I have only 2 major and 2 mild complaints about BIAB.

1)Bar freeze/ partial bar regeneration.
2)GUI!! Flexible, modular, scalable with auto hide mixer.
--
3)More mixer channels (+ dedicated midi channel)
4)Significantly reduce regeneration time. I think it can be accomplished if bar freeze is done the right way.

When these are done, and I have HOPE that all of these will be done sooner or later, most of my complaints will vanish, leaving room for occasional wish-list suggestions and laid back discussion smile As of now, I can pretty much avoid using scary RB.

Bob. it is just a matter of taste. That's all. Some years ago I visited parts of Asia. People cooked weird stuff on the streets, like brains and intestines for example. You can smell this delicacy from far away. I am sure, locals loved that smell and taste. I was scared...To me, it was far from what I would consider to be made for human consumption.

And a mirror example. I have Asian friend and once he said something about wine that went like this: How can you take delicious, sweet fruit and make such crap out of it.

Misha.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Why are you scared of RB? What's up with that? I use it ALL THE TIME especially the selective generation part. It has 48 freaking tracks!

What gives you the right to say that, I have never used RB !!!.

RB is a DAW you have full control over everything!. sounds like the Gestapo.. c'mon Band lab is free , why you saying that bob,

You scare people away with this [*****] that goes on here, most importantly Noel why you !! Free Version Have Anything to do with this,,?

You always speak your mind, why so now !!.

Big plus one on this

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
I'm listening

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Beatmaster,

I think you are being too harsh. Certain workflow means a lot to some people, including me... Some folks grew into the workflow of RB, they know it inside out. I get that.

Some people do not like Cakewalk, to me it is the BEST DAW ever! I grew up with it, I know my way around and features that I use regularly are missing from all other DAWs from Cubase to Mixcraft and everything in between.

I think to most advocates of RB it is about getting from point A to point B. To most of us, it is getting to point A to point B in a comfort coach with AC running and a toilet around the corner. Is it fair to request comfort for paid software? I believe so. But hey, this ticket is complimentary, you do not have to use it smile

Lighter heart please.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
...most importantly Noel why you !! Free Version Have Anything to do with this,,?

beatmaster,

I'm not quite sure what to say to your above comment.

I'd have thought that you'd know me much better than that after being on the forum for a while. I was seriously disappointed to read these words.

If I have done anything to you that deserved such an attack, please let me know what it is so that I can address it and we can clear the air.

For those who read this thread.... I agree with Jazzmammal because what he said is my experience of Realband. I don't use it as a DAW, I use is as an extension of BIAB to do things that BIAB cannot do and it works really well for me. I find it a valuable stepping stone between BIAB and Reaper.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Beatmaster,

I'm more than a little disappointed to read your statement. I don't think anyone here deserved to be jumped on for offering their own honest views and helpful advice.

You don't have to agree with anyone's particular views, but don't lower the tone of this fantastic forum by denigrating the honest works put forward by others, nor do you score anything for the unwarranted innuendo.

Nobody set out to personally admonish you. Why the attack? I personally find this very disappointing. Lets all work together to deliver a better game.

I could add "I'm listening", but I definitely won't. That kind of provocation would not be helpful.

A better game, please. We would all be better for it.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< One of my most annoying issues with BIAB is regeneration time.
With any small change I sit and wait and wwwaaaaiiiittt... Life is precious, but I do not feel that when I am just looking at the screen waiting for regeneration to finish. Trying out things, I could make well over 100 changes in one tune that I would want to audition.

Ideally I would want regeneration times to be a fraction what they are now... About 75% faster.

My computer is fast enough wink >>

Here's some suggestions that addresses these issues you have while remaining completely within BIAB - No DAW's allowed. (In Creating tracks not editing)

. Starting with your initial Chord chart and Style selection - Save it in a dedicated project folder
. With every change you make that you are somewhat or completely satisfied with, do a Save As and save that version of the project to the dedicated project folder
. You are saving the above projects saved at different completion levels so you can always revert to a prior project level if things get messed up with auditions and instrument changes. You do this because you can program in dozens of changes and instruments in a single generation of a BIAB project.
. regarding Regenerations - Rather than waste time by generating each and every single change, use the Chord Chart (particularly the UNUSED BARS Section) to enter your chord change experiments and instrument auditions. You can literally generate 100 chord changes in a single generation and at the same time do it with dozens of instruments. Regeneration times would be a fraction of what they are now. . .

For example, if your song is 90 bars in length, There are 165 unused bars that can be utilized to program experimental chord changes, chord progression changes, marker changes, tempo changes, shots, holds, rests, etc. These would be placed in the unused bars below your song chart and could be deactivated before rendering your song but also rendered if desired to be inserted and used in your project.

You can reconstruct single bars, multiple bars or entire sections. Generation time will increase a few seconds but you will have generated possibly dozens of snippets to audition and save for use in your final project. Every time you regenerate, these extra bars will also generate so multiple regenerations will result in hundreds of possible snippets.

Simply by using a feature in the Mixer Tracks that allows up to 10 instrument changes per track, utilize this feature to have specific instruments to come in and out at various bars which will force the BIAB search engine to more creatively and randomly search and select that instruments audio snippets.
. For example - Alternately place a banjo and guitar on a track so that they change every two bars, every 4 bars, every 6 bars and every 8 bars to create different phrases within just 8 instrument changes.

Hopefully, there's something in these suggestions that will aid in speeding up generations in yours and others workflow.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 12/29/19 03:05 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
This is the Wishlist forum so requesting faster generation times is completely legit but Rustyspoon included the words Possible Solutions. Real Band is the solution right now and the plugin could be another soon.

When it was created in 2008 it was SPECIFICALLY described as a new program that addresses things that Biab cannot do such as generating specific sections of a track. As a DAW RB only works on what you tell it to do so generating a few bars in the middle of a single track is pretty much immediate.

The fact RB is now over 10 years old does not mean it's been stagnant. The only thing new in the world is the history you haven't learned yet. I was a tester when RB was first introduced, there has been a TON of development just like with the plugin now. It may not be as far along as some would like but it works pretty well as it is.

RB is just another tool. A professional auto mechanic wants and needs the best so he will pay 12K for a set of Snap On tools. The best. A backyard hobbyist will have a mismatched collection of all kinds of tools that can't touch those Snap Ons. How much do you want to pay for the best? For $500 RB would be awesome I'm sure.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Below is what I posted yesterday but PGM deleted it.
-----------------------------
I have used most of the top DAWs. And Realband is not even remotely close to being in the same league as the top DAWs. Plain and simple. It is incredibly sluggish with an awful GUI. It suffers from much of the BIAB excessive dialog window disease. I know this will sound harsh but it looks and feels like a prototype of a DAW that was never finished.

Just add true inline regeneration and/or add freeze bars selectively in BIAB. Then clean up the BIAB GUI and let Realband become a legacy product that its few hardcore fans can use to their hearts content while the rest of us finish our projects in a modern DAW.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I’ve used many of the top DAWs including several in recording studios. I have not used RealBand so I can’t comment on that. But I do wish BIAB could add regeneration of a selection. If not, then selectively freezing bars could help too.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Charlie, first of all, thank you for extensive reply. The core of techniques you describe are workarounds. However, I am requesting a faster regenerations "out of the box" as I feel it should be. It was probably "ok" for the year 2005-2010, but 10 years later.... This is my request smile

I believe a well thought out, user friendly bar freeze could potentially solve 2 big issues with BIAB.

-----------
Bob,
"The fact RB is now over 10 years old does not mean it's been stagnant."
Sorry, I feel it is stagnant, compared all top DAWs.
The possible solutions that I mentioned on top of my post relate particulary to BIAB, not solutions in general.

"RB is just another tool." Agreed., just not the one I would use smile
----

JJJ,
On personal level I agree with most you said. I sincerely hoped that 2020 would bring some positive change to BIAB program, but things I was hoping to see were not there and the most advertised feature did not work as I hoped for. Hopefully, they are just working on true improvements behind the curtains. If they are not, somebody has to waken them, before it is too late. I have patience, but I do wish to see progress, especially in the software part, The RT/RD part I am satisfied 95% with.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P.S. I believe Noel and Charlie mentioned using MIDI tracks for chording, for faster generation. This is not my workflow. I have to and I want to hear how it sounds with actual RTs. used in the project and how these RT's react to changes as a group, not individual tracks.

So my request stands firm, no workarounds smile

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I support the request, however, I don't know enough about the internals of the program to understand the complexity required to deliver.

Nevertheless, faster generation is an improvement definitely worthy of consideration.

+1

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I want to say that I also support the request for a button for faster regeneration and say that my remarks have not been to convey the idea I don't but rather note my previous comments addressed the question posed in the title.

Regarding the question, "possible solutions?", first, the definition of 'workaround' on Google is that a workaround is "a method for overcoming a problem or limitation in a program or system." accepting that as a valid definition, the techniques I described above should not be considered workarounds no more than having to type on the keyboard to enter chords onto the Chord Chart. Respectfully, every method, technique, tool or feature I mention above are all normal components of the BIAB program and no procedure ventures outside of what are normal results of utilizing the functions.

For instance, there's nothing unusual and out of the ordinary of having 165 unused bars available to program shots, holds, rests and chord progressions to generate small audio clips to possibly use in your project. Audio is a definite component of BIAB as demonstrated by the Audio Track, Audio editor, ACW, Performance Tracks and the Audio Recording function. Placing multiple instruments on a track will always be faster than designating single instruments per track if the method is compatible with a song project.

My comments above are directed toward defining workaround, regarding faster re-generations, I don't see how any programming change can result in faster generations than using the unused bars of a song project to program 20-30 audio clips to audition and cut/paste into your project from a single generation of the song. I consider that a possible solution option and not a workaround.

But like others , I support the request because a programming change can produce a faster generation in a much simpler process than anything I've mentioned.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
+1 for the idea of faster RealTracks and RealDrums regeneration. Faster regeneration is a never ending goal I think PG Music has always sought to obtain.

The issue might be that since each improvement is small and happens over the course of years it is difficult to notice the improvement while using the product every day. This is similar to how quick any Windows computer feels after a new operating system install but then slows down through daily use. The operating system slowdown is not noticeable until the day you notice it. Then it is in your face every day. I suspect, but do not know, that the cumulative reduction of RealTracks and RealDrums regeneration time has been reduced and would be noticeable if a comparison test was performed.

What would I consider a comparison test that could demonstrate a noticeable improvement in RealTrack and RealDrum regeneration time? I'd say a new install of 2010 Band-in-a-Box UltraPlus PAK against a new install of 2020 Band-in-a-Box UltraPlusPAK, on two computers having the same specifications and operating system using the same song file that loads the same instrument tracks.

The UltraPlus PAK programs provide the most content without providing wave audio files. Because part of the regeneration process is finding the correct RealTracks and RealDrums and converting the wma files to WAV files it would not be fair to use the Audiophile packages.

I would expect the comparison test to use two, comparable computers to prevent the 2010 program from accidentally using files introduced after the release of 2010.

The song file would need to use RealDrums and RealTracks that were released in 2010 or earlier so they would be available to both programs.

Perhaps PG Music will read this thread and think a comparison test is a good idea for marketing purposes. Perhaps a long time user will have the needed resources and think such a comparison test is interesting. Maybe such a person will post a comparison test video to YouTube.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195