Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#556852 09/28/19 08:34 AM
Beginners Forum
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Could someone please advise a 75 year old "numpty". I have read on here that you are permitted to install BIAB 2019 on 3 different computers. As I am about to go away for a wee while, I thought I would put BIAB on an I5 Laptop. Installation went well, but, I cannot get it to activate. Must I release the serial on the "main" machine and then activate the "secondary" copy and reverse the process when I return? Any pointers would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Maurice.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Maurice,

You should be able to have three installations (on computers owned and used by you, of course)

Do you have a Serial number?

Were there any messages reported that might indicate why the installation was unsuccessful?

You probably need an Internet connection for the activation to work. Is the laptop connected to the Internet?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
What happens if you open BiaB, then click the Help menu item, then click Activate Band-in-a-Box?
Does it ask for the serial number?
Have you entered it correctly?

Most of us have not had activation problems .. is the new machine online (connected to the internet) so it can connect to PGMusic and activate?

edit
I see VideoTrack already asked the same questions about a minute ago .. missed it by that much!

Last edited by rharv; 09/28/19 10:12 AM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Beginners Forum
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Just to add to what was asked for above: the exact wording that you get when you go to Help | Activate is very important. It can very easily change the necessary steps to correct any activation issues you may be having, so please be sure to provide the exact, full wording and we'd be happy to help you get activated. Is this a Mac or Windows version you are having issues with? Also, feel free to shoot an e-mail to sales@pgmusic.com if you wish instead about the activation issue. Just be sure to include said error message if you do!

Cheers,
Ember
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv
I see VideoTrack already asked the same questions about a minute ago .. missed it by that much!

Sorry about that, Chief...

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thank you all for the information supplied. I will try again soon and report, using the info you have posted. I have tried the "via help" way, unfortunately, my memory is dreadful and I want to be sure I quote the error correctly. As well as my "megapack" version, I have also tried 2018 pro and 2019 pro and all attempts are the same. Back in an hour or so and again, thanks muchly.

Maurice.

Beginners Forum
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Good Morning [again] I have installed again this morning, no differently from yesterday, but this time I noticed a file called bb2019_repair_activation and executed this file "as administrator" - I always use this option on all my software installs. Upon notification that I needed to activate the product, I did this and - SUCCESS !!!!!!! I am so pleased that I can continue trying to use the product as intended - a steep learning curve frown My grateful thanks for the information you gave me, and I feel I have [again] justified my "numptie" label smile I can, at least, now take this laptop with me and continue the struggle. Best Regards,

Maurice.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Maurice, thanks for letting us know that your have resolved.

Your feedback can assist others in future, also.

Beginners Forum
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Maurice, thanks for letting us know that your have resolved.

Your feedback can assist others in future, also.

Only too pleased to have got it sorted. With my very small knowledge, I don't imagine for a moment that I could help much. I have lurked on here for months now, visiting at least twice a day and, whilst I understand all the words, I find that the level of understanding generally surpasses what I can glean. I used BIAB on an Atari so *very* many years ago - ultra up to date 3.5 inch floppies, and still enjoy the MP3's today. With a bigger and better sound source, Tyros 5, I hope to revisit them all again soon. Thanks again to all who contributed. Regards.

Maurice.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran

Now that made me laugh. Whenever I walk into a mall/walmart type store and the automatic doors open I catch myself humming the Get Smart theme .. then wonder if others heard me .. or (if they did) do they get it. smile

/I even owned a '69 Opel GT for a while <man I'd love to find one now>

Last edited by rharv; 09/29/19 01:41 PM.

Beginners Forum
I bought Biab for Mac and installed it on my MacBook Pro, went ok, and I registerd it smirk .
I would like to have it on my main Mac as well. Learning is easyer with two larger screens.

Now I have two problems confused :

1. I tried to install it on my main Mac. The question where to install is skipped. I would like to have it on my external Thunderbolt-disk (USB2 is to slow), but I am not asked on which drive to install and there is not enough free space on my main disk. How can I activate that this question is not skipped?

2. The License Agreement says "can be used on a single machine". What about this post, "three installations"? Can I just go ahead and register it again (same Name, different machine)?

As a workaround I could desactivate it on my MacBook, but how?
Could I install it to a NAS-Volume in my local Network and use it with one of my three Computers at a time?

Thank you all for your replies! Regards form Sitzerland
Andreas

Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
You do get 3 installations from what I understand. I have it currently on 2 PCs with no fuss.

I am not sure about your first question.

...Deb

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
1. I think it needs to be installed on the boot disk (which can be a minimal install, meaning very little disk space needed) and the RT/RD tracks left to a faster disk (for generating).

2. 'Can be used on a single machine' .. I think they left off 'at a time'.
I've never found this to be a problem; I have used multiple machines on the same license many times. I never have need to use multiple machines running it at the same time though. So I assume it means one machine can use the license (at a time) but up to 3 machines can share that license at different times.

I also notice you are on a Mac, so maybe there are some differences, just letting you know how it has worked for me historically. May want to ask in the Mac specific forum.

Beginners Forum
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
I tried to install it on my main Mac. The question where to install is skipped. I would like to have it on my external Thunderbolt-disk (USB2 is to slow), but I am not asked on which drive to install and there is not enough free space on my main disk.

Quote:
I could deactivate it on my MacBook, but how?

Help menu | Activate Band-in-a-Box.

This will allow you to activate it on a different computer.

Quote:
Could I install it to a NAS-Volume in my local Network and use it with one of my three Computers at a time?

You can have Band-in-a-Box on a network drive, however the program is activated on the individual computer that you are running it on.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran

Now that made me laugh. Whenever I walk into a mall/walmart type store and the automatic doors open I catch myself humming the Get Smart theme .. then wonder if others heard me .. or (if they did) do they get it. smile

/I even owned a '69 Opel GT for a while <man I'd love to find one now>

I always wondered how Max ALWAYS got a parking spot in front of CONTROL Headquarters in Washington DC at the start of each show:)

Cheers,
Keith
Beginners Forum
D
Apprentice
Apprentice
D
FWIW I just chatted very briefly with Catherine on PG chat and she said I can have it installed on up to three machines "with no problems" , and not a word about needing to fuss around with any deactivations.

"I have it currently on 2 PCs with no fuss."
DSM, I wonder, can we take that to mean you are not having to fuss with deactivating?

Last edited by DIOECHOOTO; 12/31/19 05:06 AM.

Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
No I haven't deactivated anything since I started with BIAB many years ago. Same two computers.

...Deb

Last edited by DSM; 12/31/19 08:05 AM.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: DSM
No I haven't deactivated anything since I started with BIAB many years ago. Same two computers.

...Deb
FYI, you get three activations with each version, i.e., each year.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,626
Posts735,221
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SYOTR, Steve Smith, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185