Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
A little while ago in 2019, I contacted Steve Young and asked if he would be interested in working on a song with me. Much to my excitement, Steve said, “Yes”.

The song that I’d written was a lullaby. With lyrics and music, I tried to create a hint of ‘olde worlde’ by using occasional words and melody that were more reflective of the 1700s and 1800s rather than the 2000s. I was at a loss as to where to go from there, though, and needed some help. Thus my email to Steve because after hearing years of his music, and already having co-written two songs with him, I know that he must have a 10th Dan Black Belt in the martial art of Music Arranging.

Even though Steve has a Mac computer and I have a Windows PC, the good news about BIAB is that files between the two are fully compatible. And so this particular journey of collaboration began. I sent Steve my BIAB file, the lyrics, a rough vocal track and an audio workfile. Steve took all this on board and with help and using his arranging expertise, we finally arrived at the below song…

Please feel free to comment critically on any aspect of the song. On behalf of Steve and me, I sincerely hope that you enjoy listening. (The lyrics are on Soundcloud at the above link.)

Regards,
Noel and Steve

The Orchestra

Realtracks

777: Bass, Acoustic, PopWaltz Ev 085 (A:simple)
2774: Harp, Rhythm CelticWaltzSlow Ev 085

In addition to these two Realtracks, Steve played all the below MIDI parts.

Other Tracks

12 tracks of MIDI brass and woodwinds...

2 x flute trills tracks (Ableton Live Woodwinds)
2 x Flute legato tracks (EastWest Hollywood Woodwinds)
2 x Clarinets tracks (EastWest Hollywood Woodwinds
2 x French horns tracks (EastWest Hollywood Brass)
2 x English horns tracks (EastWest Hollywood Woodwinds)
2 x Trombones tracks (EastWest Hollywood Brass)

There are 7 tracks of MIDI strings...

2 x 1st violin section tracks (1 Sonivox Strings, 1 Native Insturments (NI) String Ensemble)
1 x 2nd violin section track (NI String Ensemble)
1 x viola section track (NI String Ensemble)
1 x cello section track (NI String Ensemble)
1 x solo violin track (EastWest Solo Violin)
1 x solo cello track (EastWest Solo Cello)

Other MIDI instruments

1 x Piano track (NI Alyssa's Keys piano softsynth)
1 x Una Corda Piano track (for reinforcing certain elements) - (NI Una Corda piano)
1 x Triangle percussion track (Ableton Live percussion)
1 x Tree mark chimes percussion track (Ableton Live percussion

Tracks used to make the music box

a freeware music box sound that works with NI Kontact
1 x melody track,
4 x individual harmony/accompaniment tracks (to give it a more authentic music box feel)
1 x Track for wind-up sound for music box (found free wav file online)

Quote:
Steve, I want to say a huge “Thank you!” You took an idea along with a very ordinary sounding BIAB file and audio workfile and, with your help and expertise, they became an orchestral masterpiece. I truly am in awe of your ability to arrange music.

It has been a real pleasure working with you again,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Beautiful song Noel. Loved the intro. The music box made the song very special. Totally captivating. Awesome vocal. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great choice with Steve. Wonderful arrangement! Love the pizzicato and trills on the strings. The instruments sound great, without ever getting in front of the vocals.

The music box introduction is really effective.

As usual Noel, your vocals are a perfect fit for the lyrics - expressive and filled with joy.

One small nit - the lyric:

And the smiles I keep growing
Were they wings, I would fly

Are the smiles growing in size, or quantity? On first listen, I imagined you were referring to a garden of smiles, which certainly matches the whimsy of the song. But then I was puzzled why you could fly if they were wings. Was it because they would be so large (there goes the garden metaphor) or because you had many wings like a seraphim (again... an interesting visual).

Yes, I overthink things. wink

In any event, perhaps a more mundane image would work better (even if it breaks the fourth wall):

Like a light within me glowing
As I sing you this lullabye

Yeah, I'm a terrible person for suggesting lyrics to a wonderful song. So much for starting the new year with a fresh start.

Anyway: lovely song, well sung. Excellent job, as usual, made even more sweet with Steve's arrangement. laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Beautiful song Noel. Loved the intro. The music box made the song very special. Totally captivating. Awesome vocal. Well done

Hi Scott,

Thanks for dropping in. Appreciate it.

And thank you for the comments, too. I need to put them into perspective, though. I'll break them down so that you can see who is responsible for what...

1. Beautiful song Noel -- let's say 5/10 me, 5/10 Steve

2. Loved the into -- 10/10 Steve

3. The music box -- 10/10 Steve

4. Totally captivating -- let's guess 5/10 me, 5/10 Steve (In reality, it's probably more like 2/10 me and 8/10 Steve.)

5. Awesome vocal -- I'm guessing 5/10 me, 5/10 Steve (Even I got a shock at how good I sounded the first time I heard this version of me. Steve sure knows which dials to tweak and twiddle!)

So if I collect these marks (hmmm... I seem to have slipped into teaching mode).... anyway... collecting the marks gives:

• Noel = 15/50 and Steve = 35/50.

In other words, what you are hearing is 30% me and 70% Steve. That seems about right smile

Thanks again, Scott.

May 2020 brings lots of good things your way,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Great choice with Steve. Wonderful arrangement! Love the pizzicato and trills on the strings. The instruments sound great, without ever getting in front of the vocals.

The music box introduction is really effective.

As usual Noel, your vocals are a perfect fit for the lyrics - expressive and filled with joy.

One small nit - the lyric:

Are the smiles growing in size, or quantity? On first listen, I imagined you were referring to a garden of smiles, which certainly matches the whimsy of the song. But then I was puzzled why you could fly if they were wings. Was it because they would be so large (there goes the garden metaphor) or because you had many wings like a seraphim (again... an interesting visual).

Yes, I overthink things. wink

In any event, perhaps a more mundane image would work better (even if it breaks the fourth wall):

Like a light within me glowing
As I sing you this lullabye

Yeah, I'm a terrible person for suggesting lyrics to a wonderful song. So much for starting the new year with a fresh start.

Anyway: lovely song, well sung. Excellent job, as usual, made even more sweet with Steve's arrangement. laugh

Hi David,

Happy New Year! I'm guessing that it's probably January 1 in the US now.

Thank you for your comments. I always look forward to reading what you write. I have no problem at all with what you say. I long ago passed being emotionally tied to any of my material smile

Believe it or not, you've homed in on one of two pairs of lines that caused me the greatest amount of thinking! That's pretty amazing of you to do that. It might also be an indication that the lines are not working as well as I'd hoped -- I'll put that thought on the shelf for the moment, though.

I hear what you are saying. For me, the notion was a garden of smiles (hence "growing") and if each one of these smiles became a tiny set of wings, there would be be enough resultant lifting force from a 1,000 'smiles turned to wings' that I'd have lift-off. Since the physics worked in my head, I went with that concept.

Then I thought about how I might add a touch of quaintness to the concept of a garden of flowering smiles turning into wings. The subjunctive mood seemed to be the way to go since this structure only happens occasionally in today's language.

https://www.grammar-monster.com/glossary/subjunctive_mood.htm

• For example: If I say, "I wish that I was a butterfly", it's a straightforward clause. However, I can amplify the sense of wishing by turning it into the subjunctive mood. The clause then becomes, "I wish that I were a butterfly", where "were" is the subjunctive form of the past tense of 'to be'.

That was how my lyric journey started. To get to...

Quote:

...I travelled the following road over the course of about a week.

I started out by writing out in full, what I'd like to cover on the two lines... that is...

Quote:
If each smile was a set of wings then I could fly

• Even though I quite like a long phrase or two in my lyrics, as you've noted in the past, that sentence was a bit too bulky for me to fit in the small space that had been determined by verse one lyrics.

Next, I changed the sentence to subjunctive mood to add a smidgeon of antiquity.... "If each smile were a set of wings, then I could fly".

Now I needed to condense it to fit musically. This led to contracting "I could" and then sentence inversion and finally, while staying steadfast with the subjunctive mood, I arrived at...

Quote:
Were each one a set of wings, then I'd fly

From the above, I arrived at the penultimate...

Quote:
Were they wings, I could fly

...and ultimately this led to...

Quote:

I felt a sense of accomplishment when I made it to here because these two lines had been floating around in my head for a long time by this stage.

• ** 'could' actually works better for meaning than 'would' because it implies wishful thinking and this resonates better with the subjunctive mood. I was torn, though, because I liked the alliteration that 'would' brought to the words. In the end, I decided to go with the more musical sounding lyrics (i.e. alliteration) rather the those that align with better semantics.

I'm not trying to convince you that I'm right or wrong because at the end of the day, none of that matters to me. It's a song. I gave it my all as I was writing it, and now that it's done, I can move on to the next one. I wrote the above because (a) you isolated one of the two sections that I really struggled with and (b) I thought that you might like to know the short-story version of the process that got me to the final product.

Thank you for your generous review and I sincerely appreciate the springboard that your comments gave me.

Last, I agree with you 1,000%. Steve is an amazing arranger... but then you are no slouch in that department, either smile

Thanks again,
Noel

P.S. Just in case you're curious, the second section that I struggled with were the two lines..

• I hope that life is gracious
    And that you’ll out-shine the sun

P.P.S. I suspect that I might over-think things, too wink

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
That's lovely Noel, lovely.
I did notice that the wind up had a different audio character to the rest.
I reckon it'd be worth you while to experiment with some EQ boost in the mids to give it a more present and real tone...it sounds like a 193MP3 download at present.
Hey, it's not essential but the rest of the song is so well rounded and real that I think it'd be time well spent.
The song's great and the arrangement/playing is fabulous.
A whole pile of kids in Vic & NSW would need this tonight.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
That's lovely Noel, lovely.
I did notice that the wind up had a different audio character to the rest.
I reckon it'd be worth you while to experiment with some EQ boost in the mids to give it a more present and real tone...it sounds like a 193MP3 download at present.
Hey, it's not essential but the rest of the song is so well rounded and real that I think it'd be time well spent.
The song's great and the arrangement/playing is fabulous.
A whole pile of kids in Vic & NSW would need this tonight.

Thanks, Ray.

I'm glad you had time to visit and to listen. I'll let Steve read and ponder your comments on the mix as he's the one who looked after all that. I have to say, you sure have mighty fine ears to be able to isolate all that! No wonder your works sound so impressive!

And I'm with you. The bushfires we have right now are extraordinary. I've never known anything like it -- so much destruction in so many states all at the one time. And it's not even high summer yet! I cannot begin to imagine how those caught up in the thick of it all must be feeling. I donated some money tonight just so that I could feel that I was doing something worthwhile to help.

Thanks again for dropping in.
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Noel,
the intro made me smile and brought me in the mood for the rest of this beautiful song. Very nice vocal , fine lyrics and an arrangement that evolved from small to orchestral and then small again. I wished I could manage to make such a wonderfull work of art. Thanks for your explination about the process of collaborating and writing the lyrics.

Rob de Klerk, Dutch singer-songwriter
https://www.robdeklerk.nl

Biab 2023, Cakewalk, N.I. Komplete 14, Win 10,64, Ozone 9 elements suite, Presonus studio 24c
User Showcase
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Noel, that was really a joy to listen to. I loved the way you and Steve wove a lot of instruments and track types into a simple arrangement. I also appreciate you explaining your though process behind the lyrics.

Sometime things we say and the way we say them mean more to us that to others, since they touch our hearts. In this I thought you touch others as well, especially as you can see by the positive comments.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
hi noel this is so excellent so well done in so many ways the vocal the arrangement the instruments were perfect like I was sitting 20' from you performing great colab and steve you never disappoint thanks eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Noel & Steve,

Extraordinary.

A beautiful song. A lovely "parent's prayer".

The arrangement and production are mind-boggling good (thanks for all the notes on that). Steve's abilities are a wonder. The orchestration is likely the best we've ever heard here...

With all the gorgeous aspects of this, the one that really stood out (amongst oodles of stand out stuff) is the vocal - how it sounds, how it sits in the mix, how "perfect" it is. I think it is, perhaps, THE best example of vocal mixing/processing I have ever heard on the forum. Truly professional sound. (Would love to hear the specifics of how that was accomplished...).

Extraordinary.

fj

User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rodipoet
Hi Noel,
the intro made me smile and brought me in the mood for the rest of this beautiful song. Very nice vocal , fine lyrics and an arrangement that evolved from small to orchestral and then small again. I wished I could manage to make such a wonderfull work of art. Thanks for your explination about the process of collaborating and writing the lyrics.

Hi Rob,

Thank you heaps for jumping into the thread and having a listen. I'm very grateful.

I agree with you, too... I'd love to be able to make such great sounding works of art too. While the bits I did were useful, a huge chunk of credit goes to Steve. He turned what I'd done into something really magnificent! I could never orchestrate anything to this level.

I hope that you have a great New Year,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
You always write/perform such beautiful/inspiring songs , I reckon you to the likes of our Rodger Whittaker. Like the last farewell.

I did try to contact you after your PM to me hope you got it.

I enjoyed this Noel , excellent in its own genre, a dying breed.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi Noel and Steve,

Well this is the first Noel for me in a long time and it's a cracker. The overall sound and mix is outstanding. And I hate you! smile

I absolutely love that 'olde worlde' idea and it works so well. The vocal is pristine in it's clarity - hate you again - and perfectly suited to the song. Great job guys.

And so pleased to see that you're still putting them out there Noel.:)

Keep 'em coming. smile

Music is what feelings sound like.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
This is STUNNING. Wish I could write half as well. Beautiful! Congratulations to both of you!!!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Noel & Steve,
Beautiful! I`m a sucker for a warm well written lullaby- you hit the goosebumps spot in several places here- my favourite lines:

Tomorrow dances ‘round you
A promise of what’s to come
I hope that life is gracious
And that you’ll out-shine the sun

Your vocals are always relaxed and full of feeling- this is one of your best.
A wonderful collaboration.

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Gorgeous production! Beautiful melody. The arrangement of all the instruments is superb. Your vocal is wonderful and I absolutely love the music box.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
P.P.S. I suspect that I might over-think things, too wink

Yeah, I figured there wasn't anything in that song that didn't go in without a lot of deliberation. laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rob Helms
Noel, that was really a joy to listen to. I loved the way you and Steve wove a lot of instruments and track types into a simple arrangement. I also appreciate you explaining your though process behind the lyrics.

Sometime things we say and the way we say them mean more to us that to others, since they touch our hearts. In this I thought you touched others as well, especially as you can see by the positive comments.

Hi Rob,

Thank you for finding the time to drop-in. And thank you for your comments, too.

In all honesty, I don't know how Steve manages to work with so many tracks. When I create a song that has 5 or 6 tracks, it challenges me! Here Steve has used over 30 tracks and the sound that he manages to create is exceptional. When I first heard what he'd done, I couldn't believe my ears.... it was an incredible experience.

In relation to the lyrics, I spend quite a bit time on them and ponder heaps of combinations and permutations of ideas and words. Almost always, the first draft bears little to no resemblance to the final draft. The above comments on the subjunctive mood give just a bit of insight for those in the forum who might be interested.

Thanks again!

I hope that 2020 brings good things your way,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi noel this is so excellent so well done in so many ways the vocal the arrangement the instruments were perfect like I was sitting 20' from you performing great colab and steve you never disappoint thanks eric

Hi Eric,

Thank you for taking time to have a listen and for passing on your thoughts. It's always a pleasure to see that you have passed through the thread.

I sincerely appreciate your visit and I hope that 2020 is going to be a super year for you and your family.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,456
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195