Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#574111 01/04/20 12:31 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
?
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
?
Hi, I'm trying to record some vocals on my bb files using my new 2020 version with Windows 7. When I hit a record button the bar indicator starts in the middle of the song even the song starts from the beginning. I hit a space bar then the indicator started from the beginning. I recorded my voice. Played it back. My voice Track and other instrument track play different bars. What am I doing wrong?

Veteran
Veteran
Welcome to the forum and to Band-in-a-Box!

How are you recording your vocal? Can you post a screenshot of the Band-in-a-Box audio settings?

I suspect your issue is latency. Latency is the time it takes for your vocal to get to your microphone, become an electrical signal, go into the computer, get converted into a digital signal and then recorded onto Band-in-a-Box's audio track.

The best way to minimize latency is to use an audio interface between your microphone and the computer and to use the ASIO driver provided by the audio interface manufacturer. Audio interfaces that support "real time monitoring" with a headphone jack and internal mixer can fix the latency issue altogether. The audio interface mixer adjusts the time of the Band-in-a-Box audio from the computer and the audio from your microphone and then combines the two audio signals effectively eliminating latency.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Hi ライミン,

Welcome to the forums.

In addition to Jim's excellent advice above...

When you go to record, do you select "Record Audio" (#1 on the image below) and then select "Start of song" (#2 on the image)?

If you don't have the "Record Audio" button, press CTRL+T to switch from full-screen view to standard view.

Also, do you have the latest update for BIAB? Updates are found at the URL below. To double-check your update, go to "Help | About Band In A Box" and the update will be in brackets following the version of the program [example: version 2020(709)] -- #709 is the latest update.

https://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm

Hope that this helps,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
recording audio.JPG (47.89 KB, 330 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
?
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
?
Thank you for the tips guys. Jim I think I fixed the latency. It’s the micro second differences, right? My problem is bar to bar differences between my voice track and the other instrument track.

Noel I updated to 709. And doing recording as you suggested. Maybe some other settings? Could be something simpler? I don’t know.

?
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
?
By the way, I’ve been recording my voice on multiple tracks for a few years using other recording devices. Then found out now BIAB has harmony function. It might have started a while ago? Anyways, I got so exited about using the function. So I really really need to fix my recording problem. Please help me guys.

https://youtu.be/_hf_M71QDSc

Veteran
Veteran
Actually, you might be better off using Realband for recording. It also has the harmony function.

In case it's useful information... any vocals recorded in any other program, can be imported into BIAB.

It's also possible to time-shift the audio track using "Audio | Edit Audio | Delete (or insert) Region" or using "Audio | Edit Audio | Time-shift (in ms)" where ms = milliseconds and 1 second = 1,000 ms. I'm referring to "Audio" on the upper-most menu.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
?
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
?
Thanks, Noel. I just activated Realband. I will try it.

?
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
?
It looks like the same thing happening to Realband as well. Actually kinda worse. When I click record button, drum counting sound AND hi-hat sounds start at the same time. Then hi-hat stays the whole tune. It won’t even be insync with drums. It’s unusable. BIAB is unusable now too. I cleaned and updated my computer. The symptoms stay the same. Is my computer not powerful enough for new BIAB by any chance? I wonder other windows7 users are OK with this program or not?

Veteran
Veteran
That's the metronome. Turn it off.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Expert
Expert
are you using asio drivers? latency is noticeable if you are using a midi keyboard to enter midi notes - you press the key then there is a lag before the on on the pc sounds

if you use asio drivers, the sound you hear when you sing should be in synch with the vocal as you sing and then when you playback.

if you are using MME drivers you'll never synch vocals and backing track

WAS come close to asio and i've used both. sounds to me as if the backing is playing back delayed but you are being recorded in real time so the error shows up in playback

are the backing tracks midi or realtracks?

even if i can't help, someone else will so tell us more

Veteran
Veteran
Hi again, ライミン.

Bob's advice about drivers is good.

Try running ASIO4ALL -- it's free and it's available from the below link.

http://www.asio4all.org/

While it is not a proper ASIO driver, it reduces latency enormously and is friendly with both BIAB and Realband.

And what Silvertones is saying regarding the metronome, that's found under "Options | Preferences" as shown on the top image (IMAGE 1) below.

See if either of the above helps.

============

Now, to get you in a position to play with the audio harmonies in BIAB, what I suggest while we are working on overcoming your problem is...

1. In BIAB, under the "Audio" option on the Top Menu (#1 on the bottom image -- i.e. IMAGE 2), select "Export song as audio file". Now follow the numbers 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

BIAB will now take around a minute to create an audio file.

Quote:
NOTE: This audio file will now also open each time you open BIAB unless you "kill it". I suggest that use "Audio | Edit Audio | Kill entire audio" to remove it once you've loaded it in your DAW. It can always be rendered again if you need it later.

2. Load this audio file in your DAW.

3. Record your vocal in your DAW. Start the recording so that it aligns with the 2-bar count-in in BIAB (even though this will be blank for a couple of bars, it helps to align it in BIAB).

4. Export your vocal from your DAW.

5. Back in BIAB... select "File | Import | Import Audio" to load the vocal file.

6. Save the song with a new name so that you don't overwrite the original file because you might want to get back to it.

7. Because your recording began when BIAB's count-in first started, you should be able to import your vocal in at Bar -1 and it will align with BIAB's backing track.

Now you can run the harmony options on this vocal track.

Hope this will allow you to play around with the audio harmony while I try and wrap my head around what might be the problem that you are experiencing.

Regards,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
metronome settings.JPG (67.78 KB, 257 downloads)
IMAGE 1... Realband metronome settings
render to audio 2020.jpg (149.02 KB, 256 downloads)
IMAGE 2... rending audio in BIAB

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
?
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
?
Hi Bob. I use MME in order to fix latency problem I experienced before I created this post. Turning it back to WAS will give me the latency problem back I suppose. But I’ll keep it in mind. Thank you.

Backing track is real tracks. I never used midi yet.

?
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
?
Thanks. I will.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
If latency is the issue, that's a fixed length that's out of sync between the recorded audio and the backing track. I don't have an audio file that's out of sync but I import audio files all the time and because of the different lead in lengths of the various recorded audio clips, I have to syncs the tracks. Syncing the tracks may work to eliminate the latency offset. It does not cure the latency issue but it may salvage your recordings and make them usable.

Try this:

In a project (song) that your recorded vocal is out of sync with the BIAB backing track

Select the Audio Editor (Do not open the Audio Chord Wizard)

Place your cursor at the very beginning of the first beat of the audio clip

Right click with your mouse and select the last option - Mark this point as bar 1 of the song
EDIT: You may receive a message showing the number of clicks that will be offset, accept by hitting the YES button.

This will shift your entire audio track and sync it with bar 1 of the BIAB backing track. Since the latency lag is a fixed length, this one click should align the entire track.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 01/06/20 02:55 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
?
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
?
Hi Noel,

ASIO and DAW are new to me too. I’m so low tech and am still living in the last century. I feel like a five-year-old lost in a university campus. I’ll try what you are suggesting and report it back soon though.

By the way, I hope you are far away from the forest fire. I’ve been feeling so bad watching news about it everyday.

?
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
?
Hi Noel, a new problem. I can’t render songs now. I was able to do it last month. Now it keeps failing.

OK, I was able to render by different procedure. FILE-.WAV-Exprt Song as Audio File.

I’ll try next step.

?
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
?
Hi Charlie, I couldn’t find my “bad recording” to do the editing that you suggested. I guess I didn’t keep it. I’ll report you as soon as I’m able to record another sample. Thanks.

?
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
?
Hi Noel, I guess I need to purchase a DAW, don’t I? Which DAW would you recommend?

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Since you have Windows, you have RealBand that comes free with BIAB.

There are many other DAWs to consider, but two very good ones are free: Cakewalk by Bandlab and Reaper. Each has many users on this forum. They all have similar features, so try downloading each and see which one feels more natural to you.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
I use Reaper 64-bit.

It's fantastic and it can be used for an unlimited amount of time without buying. All that happens is eventually a popup will occur when you start the program to remind you to buy it.

https://www.reaper.fm/

BIAB and BIAB-VST3 are friendly with Reaper.

Also, my main reason for settling on Reaper is the huge amount of free online video clips prepared by Kenny Gioia -- he's an awesome educator. The clips range from beginner to advanced.

http://www.kennymania.com/reaper-videos/

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199