Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Hi Folks.
Got a slight (!) problem with BIAB 2020. This happened at least a dozen times or so. I can not pinpoint the issue. It happens at time when I close the program. This would not be a major issue (until tech fix it) if for one nuance:
In couple of instances it corrupted working file. I saved the file and closed the program. Before it closed the BIAB window it gave me the error below. When I re-opened the project Some RT's in the mixer were gone and all the bar changes were gone too...

P.S. I did try to re-install latest 2020 (Dec 23 I believe), did not help.
Has anyone else had this issue? Never had this crash prior 2020 version.

I only found this related thread, which is somewhat related, but it does not talk about specific solution:
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=420100&Searchpage=1&Main=62867&Words=eoserror&Search=true#Post420100

Veteran
Veteran
Misha,

Have you tried starting BIAB by running right-clicking on the startup icon and selecting "Run as administrator" mode? (This is different than logging into your computer as Admin.)

For me, if I don't start BIAB in this way, I end up getting exit errors too.

It's just a thought that may or may not help.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Noel,
thank you for trying!
Just tried it as admin, still crashed on exit.

Then, I opened, reopened project and it seems that it is closing ok. I am 99% certain crash thing will come back again. I believe it is some sort of parallel event that makes it happen.

If I call tech support, most likely they will connect to my PC, open and close project, if it works ok at the time of test, they will consider matter resolved...

The gentleman, who started thread on EOSerror in 2017 said this:
"Ken on their customer support he was great. Knew exactly what the problem was as they had seen it a number of time before."

Will try to reach tech tomorrow. Hopefully someone there will recall what causes EOSerror crashes.

Veteran
Veteran
I've seen this periodically.

On my system it seems to only occur if I haven't used anything 'musically' for a while, as though something has gone into a wait state, and the required windows handle has hibernated.

I come back to the computer and close BiaB and get an Invalid Windows Handle error. This doesn't happen every time, and only (AFAIK) if I haven't interactively used the program for a while.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
VideoTrack,
Thank you for trying.
I never had this issue with prior year versions. So most likely it is the issue with 2020 BIAB.

Unfortunately tech does not answer their phones (or have chat) will have to wait for the email. Will update this thread if (how) resolved...or not.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
If you press OK on that error message, does it display an error log?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music
If you press OK on that error message, does it display an error log?

In my case, I don't think so. I would have looked out for that, definitely. I'll keep a close eye though.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Andrew,
No it just closes. I emailed support. So far have not heard from them...

Andrew, since there is only a single post on this forum (see thread starting post) with EOSerror, can you please see from your end what it relates to?
As gentleman who posted in 2017 noted, from what Kent told him: "they had seen it a number of time before"

Thank you.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I read through the forum thread. The problem that was described as being fixed was really just a general problem with running the program from the USB drive. The error message was something that the user got along the way. The error does not point to anything specific by itself. Perhaps there is more information in the Windows logs somewhere. VideoTrack might be onto something. Why don't you try setting your Power options such that none of your computer components go to sleep, and see if the problem reoccurs? If it does take notes about when it happened.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Andrew

The only power option I have set is the for screen. There is no sleep mode set.

I checked the Windows logs and the following is the only thing I could find related to bbw64.exe. I don't think this reports on the same error.

The suggested log files in the report are non-existent.

I'll keep an eye out and report back.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2020-01-08_10-54-04.jpg (153.41 KB, 215 downloads)

Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Andrew,
I asked specifically to see, if you are able at your end to check WHAT actually solved the issue in 2017...I thought you might have internal log, especially when it was mentioned that this error was not unusual guest.

My power options are optimised for music, nothing "sleepy".
Nothing changed on PC. BIAB 2019 never had this issue.

Tech support never replied...

Last edited by Rustyspoon#; 01/07/20 02:48 PM.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
As far as I can tell, the specific error message was not mentioned and was not part of the solution. It was a side effect of a connection problem with the USB drive. Regardless, the error message that user got may or may not have anything to do with the one you are seeing (most likely not, as it is just a category of error). I suggest that next time it happens, write down exactly what you did just prior. This may be helpful.

Also, what audio drivers are you using (MME / WAS / ASIO), and what devices (e.g. audio interface) are connected to your computer, and are you running Band-in-a-Box from the internal drive, or from an external drive?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Andrew, I use a dedicated ASIO card. (not Asio4All)

The main thing, in my opinion is that nothing changed in location of the files for over a year.
I never had this issue with all the patching applied as they came out last year...

(I am running BIAB RTs/RDs from a secondary internal drive, not from USB. Same system, same setup as it was last year.

Mystery! I tried to open various projects, saving changes / regenerating... Crashes on shutdown occur randomly. Well, I am sure they are not "random", but seems that way. Unfortunately time does not permit to do extensive beta testing, but I will keep an eye on it and wait for the next patch. If the next patch will not resolve this, I hope tech will be able to resolve this for me as it is a bit disturbing.
Thank you.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I suggest that you install the build 712 patch (still in pre-release testing but will be released soon).
https://nn.pgmusic.com/pgfiles/support/patches/bb2020_win_update_build712.exe

Please report back the next time it happens, and let us know if there's any pattern you notice.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Misha,

I write this out of curiosity, nothing more....

Have you tried running BIAB using MME as the audio driver to see if the same error arises?

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Andrew,
Thank you for beta patch. Installed it, still crashing on exit. Not every time... I had a tiny bit of time today and tried BIAB with another ASIO (true Asio, not asio4all) external card, still crashes. Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of time to do deep testing, but so far my "workaround" is just making "Save as" copies, so I do not lose project. Let me keep an eye on it for a week or so, to see if I can spot a pattern.

Noel,
Thank you for chipping in! Believe it or not, I did try MME smile

P.S. What I should do is probably disconnect external stuff and try to run in solely on soldered Realtek chip with Wasapi or Asio4All, just for the sake of testing. Will try tomorrow.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Misha,

When trying to solve a problem, I've always found it good practice to disconnect everything and run BIAB using the computer's internal soundcard. What I do is...

1. Change the audio driver to MME (this is very stable in BIAB)

2. Set the VST/DXi soft synth to TTS-1 (or Coyote WT)

3. Switch to a single monitor for testing (if multiple monitors are present).

Now try this out for a while and see what happens.

The next step is to change one setting at a time and test that.

For example, if MME is working with the above, now switch to ASIO and give it a good testing.

When all settings are up and running, connect the second monitor if you have one. Test.

Now start adding USB peripherals one at a time and testing.

It's slow but, in the end, it saves time by being methodical.

Hope this helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Noel,
Thank you for suggestions.
Andrew tried to help and we done several things.
Including running a minimal set of EvErYtHiNg, Safe mode and some other approaches like running from external HD.

I decided to try a drastic measure. I completely uninstalled BIAB program, including traces of previous installs (exept for RTs/RDs) and re-installed all, including latest patch... Did no help. Still crashed.

The only conclusion I came up with that it can be some sort corruption in my recent SGU files or file permission issue. I have to create a few new projects to see if abrupt crash on exit will still happen.

P.S. Another thought that I had, could it be a corrupted Real track(s)? Not in the "audio" sense, but system integrity issue. For example, sometimes when copying error occurs, system renames files with absurdly long names. Not sure if there is/might be a relationship.

Will keep this thread updated if I find exact cause.

Veteran
Veteran
If the error is an Invalid Window Handle, then it's not likely to be a corrupt song file.

Resources such as other shared programs, files, drivers etc are stored as Objects, which cannot be accessed by other programs directly. The O/S maintains an internal table that contains Handles that can then be used to access these other Windows objects.

The Invalid Window Handle message indicates that a previously available resource is now no longer available. The fact that is occurs on shutdown may indicate that the program is releasing previously acquired resources without checking if they are still available.

Veteran
Veteran
I've manage to collect 2 further crashes on closing the software.

Both have occurred if I haven't been using the program for a short time. I also have not turned anything else off or shut anything else down, just attempted to close BiaB.

Both errors have occurred at the same memory location (so this should be traceable), and the error is exactly the same.

It seems that the program doesn't check if a handle is still available before attempting to release it, or a thread has already terminated and the program doesn't recognize this before trying to release the thread resource.

Over to you guys?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2020-01-23_23-07-31.jpg (42.7 KB, 60 downloads)
2020-01-23_23-08-01.jpg (23.12 KB, 60 downloads)

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,554
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199