Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
bear with me, i'm trying to take my music making to the next step up. i've made backing tracks in BIAB and then recorded vocals etc in Powertracks and then burned cds of the various tracks with results i'm happy with.

now i'd like to really make use of the RealTracks in BIAB and the recording strengths of RealBand.

firstly, i know that BIAB Realtracks are 16 bit 44.1 sample rate. From reading forums I've seen that one recommendation is to record in 24 bit depth and that the difference between 24 and 16 is much more significant than changing from 44.1 to 48 sample rate.

is that reasonably accurate? (I can change the sample rate too if the forum thinks that's necessary)

so how do I go about it? do i simply change my audio preferences to 24 bit 44.1 (or 48) and then make sure the asio driver for my audio interface matches that when i come to record vocals?

presumably RB will use the resampler to deal with the 16 bit 44.1 RealTracks. (set to best i presume also that deterioration in the quality will be minimal)

so is that it? and what happens when i want to burn a cd? do i just export the master mix to a wav file (which i think will be 24 bit 44.1 or 48) and then let my cd burning software handle the conversion to 16 bit 44.1 quality? or should i do the conversion in RB and if so how?

any advice on sample rates, bit depth and recommendations for working methods gladly received. thanks in advance

for cd burning i have NERO but i also have audacity if that can be useful somewhere along the line

Expert
Expert

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Veteran
Veteran
I've changed interfaces and OS recently, so take this with a grain of salt.
Had my challenges setting things back up <grin>

The effects of changing your bit depth and sample rate MAY depend a lot on how your audio drivers handle things.
When using RT's I'd question the value of such a change versus the time spent dealing with it .. but that's just me.

If it was a totally new project in RB or PT, I may have a different answer, but when using BiaB generated tracks/song I'd question just how much improvement you'd get versus futzing with settings every time you open a new song.
The improvement may be unnoticeable really.
Here it hasn't always been handled 'automagically'. But again, I've made some significant system changes recently so take that into consideration.
All I can offer is to try it and see. Just remember what you changed so you can change it back when needed.

As far as final export, some mastering tools (like Ozone) offer Dithering which may also make a difference in the end result.
Regardless of DAW used. Have Ozone (or similar) handle the 24/16 final conversion if needed.
Sometimes the tools we already have can do a better job than counting on a 3rd party.
Always liked this explanation - http://downloads.izotope.com/guides/izotope-dithering-with-ozone.pdf

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Expert
Expert
I'm new here and know practically nothing about BIAB.

Having said that, I have been spending quite a bit of time and energy trying to educate myself on recording.

I'll share a few observations:

-44.1 / 16 is and has been considered CD quality
-48 / 24 captures more info, even if you may not be able to hear it.
-48 is the standard for video.
-If you record at a lower rate the file will always be locked at that rate, changing the rate afterwards provides no benefit.
-If you record at a higher rate, the file can always be downsized for application that require less info.
-The industry is moving in the direction of higher sample rates 96 and even 192.
-Many pros are future proofing their work by using higher rates now.
-File size increases greatly as you increase your sample rate.
-Home studio operators are leaning more toward 44.1 /24 primarily to be more efficient with their file space & less concern about the future.
-I think it's reasonable to say 24 bits is the preferred bit rate regardless of what sample rate you select, it captures more dynamics.

Sorry I can't give any advise about BIAB.

Hope I didn't add any confusion or just waste time with stuff people already know.

Last edited by CaptainMoto; 01/08/20 03:41 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
+1 on 44.1/24bit

48 "supposedly" better, and is usually recorded for video purposes. But we are humans, I think only single digit percentage of humans can detect 44.1 vs 48

44.1 is also lighter on computer resources.

Veteran
Veteran
I also use 44.1/24 bit. 24 bit gives you more headroom when recording then 16 bit does, i.e. less noise at lower volumes.

The only way you will hear this or any other higher recording setting is having the original file on a computer with very expensive monitors. CDs are 44.1/16 bit and MP3s and streaming are even lower rates. So why record anything higher than 44.1/24 bit? YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Bob, this is one of those topics that everyone has their own preference and they are all right. It comes down to what do you like and what gets you the results you want with the equipment you have.

I work in 24bit/96KHz because I can. Once I have my BIAB tracks set, I upconvert them to this rate and work in my DAW that way until I finish the song. Am I wrong in doing it this way? No, it's just another of the MANY ways of producing music.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
There are opinions and there are technical truths.

24 bit vs 16 bit is an easy technical truth to understand if you want to take the time.

It does not offer more headroom per se, because headroom is dependent on the analog side of signal processing.

However it does have a much better signal to quantization noise ratio.

With 16 bit a/d conversion there are 2^16, or 65,536 possible amplitude values for the digitized signal. With 24 bit a/d, there are 16,777,216 possible amplitude values for the digitized signal. The step up from silence to the very first non silent value is incredibly small for 24 bit digitized data compared to 16 bit. The quantization ‘noise’ that comes from the a/d picking an amplitude value, for the exact same analog amplitude, is way smaller with 24 bit compared to 16 bit. Think of quantization noise this way: if you consider the situation where there is a pure silent analog signal and the a/d is ‘choosing’ whether to put that signal at 00000000000000001 or 00000000000000000, for 16 bit, or 000000000000000000000001 vs 0000000000000000000000000 for 24 bit the resulting noise of the 16 bit choice to go one up from pure digital silence, is 48 dB louder than 24 bit making the same non zero, first value up from pure digital silence.

That’s true for every possible amplitude value, but it’s simplest thinking of a pure silent analog signal.

This means that with 24 bit you can feed your a/d a less than optimized gain analog signal and still get a very clean recording compared to the same less than optimized gain signal going in to 16 bit a/d.

This clean recording without much worry can sometimes be referred to as headroom but that’s not exactly what it is.

The benefits of recording at higher sample rates than 44.1 kHz have less technical merit as it pertains to how humans hear and how d/a conversion works.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
so the consensus is 24 bit 44.1 to record but i'm still at a loss to know how to get to burning a cd. when i use the render option in RB will the wav file be 24 bit? if so my nero cd burner will handle the transfer to 16 bit but is there a better way? and will i hear it on the final cd if i go for a program like ozone?
but ozone is horrendously expensive - any suggested alternatives as i presume nero will truncate not dither the bit dept reduction

Last edited by Bob Calver; 01/08/20 05:18 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
I always use 44.1/24 for recording. The greater bit depth of 24 gives you more dynamic range (head room)than 16 bits, if I recall correctly.

With CD quality being 44.1/16 there is no problem and complete compatibility between 24 and 16 bits.

Unless someone is specifically asking for a different bit depth or sampling rate, stick with 44.1/24 and you can't go wrong.

They say that film likes to use 48 sample rate but I have several 44.1/16 songs in film and no one asked for anything different.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
so i still need to ask if i record at 24 bit and the realtracks are 16 bit, when i export a final mix wav file is it 24 or 16 bit? if its 16 bit how does RB handle the transfer from 24 to 16? i still need some information from the forum please

or does the 24 bit just get me better quality to export when the final mix is ready so the realtracks stay as they always were, and the new vocal track recorded at 24 bit exports and is changed to 16 bit but was a higher quality to start with which won't be totally eroded by the change to 16 bit.

or is this all academic and i won't really hear the difference if i stick to 16 bit 44.1 for my vocal tracks?

Expert
Expert
I'm taking a logical guess.

- when a track is recorded in 16 bit it is always 16 bit
- if you incorporate that into a mix and use 24 bit, the 16 bit tracks will be at a lower resolution. then everything else in the mix.
- this would be like using a digital zoom on a low pixel photo.the image will be expanded but will be at lower definition.

Let's see if any experts weigh in.

Last edited by CaptainMoto; 01/12/20 12:40 PM.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
i think that's true CaptainMoto - 16 bit stays 16 bit and 24 bit remains 24 bit in the RB mix. But what happens when you export the file as a wav?

Veteran
Veteran
Bob,
If you are recording in 24 bit RB will export/merge at 24 bit.
You can merge a file and look at it's properties or open in another DAW to verify.
The RT's will simply have a bunch of zeros added to them to make them 24 bit.

They won't get any better quality or any worse. They just get bigger due to the zeros.
Unless you have the audiophile version the RTs are getting converted from WMA to 16 bit wav format already.
If you go to 24 bit they'll get converted from wma to 24 bit .. and sound the same.

You can also use the 'merge to compressed file' feature and have RB render to 16/44 PCM (wav) if that's what you want.

Last edited by rharv; 01/12/20 04:18 AM.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
thank you rharv - that makes things a lot clearer. i wasn't sure what would happen on the transfer to wav but that seems sensible

i'll mark the thread resolved

Last edited by Bob Calver; 01/12/20 12:42 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
I'm a believer in setting everything to the lowest common denominator. For me that is 16 bit depth and 44.1K sample rate.

Both the PG Music wma and wav files are distributed as 16 bit files. My standalone hardware recorder stores at 16 / 44.1.

So my Band-in-a-Box, RealBand, Audacity and Cakewalk by Bandlab audio settings are 16 / 44.1K.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
That's fine if you have an interface that natively handles 16 bit
I worked this way for years with my Delta 1010 and switched back and forth between 16/24 at will.

By design everything the newer 18i20 handles it does so in 24 bit.
RB was giving me issues if set at 16 bit, but once I set it to 24 to match the system and interface life's a treat.
Rock solid. And clean.

Since everything is working fine now, 24 bit is the rule on this machine.
I'm OK with importing 16 bit audio to 24 bit DAW as that is a software function that seems to work fine but sending 16 bit signal to the 18i20 made it angry (either that or something in the computer's audio path was not happy).
Actually managed to blue screen it a couple of times when on W7 in 16 bit.
Not on W10 so far. Many things can factor into your bit rate decisions!

/Don't have the time or inclination to see if I can crash it now. <grin>
//If it ain't broke don't go trying to fix it

Last edited by rharv; 01/13/20 02:05 PM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,620
Posts735,182
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185