Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I guess it is supposed to? Since even the free VanBasco Midi/karaoke player does. So is it anything in the setting I have overlooked ?

Thank's in advance...

Forever Grateful, BUT, sometimes pissed of. wink
Trygve "Leo" Larsen
BiaB 2020, Windows 8.1, Intel Core i5 CPU, 270GHz, 32 Gb RAM
My OLD tracks on Soundcloud; https://soundcloud.com/trygve-larsen My NEW is unpublished
The Universe = Uni-verse ie one song.
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Trygve,

It's been a while since I last saw you. I hope things are going well for you and your family.

If the MIDI file has been saved with tempo information, then BIAB should read it. The file will need to start playing, though, for BIAB to pickup that information.

Could it be that the file has not been saved with tempo data?

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Noel ! Thank's for ur always quick respond and for ur care.. Yeah, not much around here anymore.. Just making music as usual most of the days, and seldom encounter any big problems anymore... Hope u r well as well ! wink

When it comes to the midi tracks I working on now, mostly Classical Music, downloaded from different sites, I use to play them first in VanBasco player, to check it out. And YES, there I can see the BPM changes as the song plays.. BUT, when I import to Biab, there is no changes in the Biab.. I just especially observed it today, played Beethoven Overture and Introduction - The Creatures of Prometheus. And the playtime was 6:32, there. I did not play the whole song, just imported it in Biab, added VST instruments a.s.o, till I was happy, and render it. To my surprise, the rendered track was 29:03 loong ! So I played it again in VanBasco and that was the time I observed that after a while the BPM changed from around 48 to 300 after a little while, and then up and down as the music played...

So yes, the miditrack HAD BPM, but was not read by BiaB obviously...;)

Trygve "Leo" Larsen
My OLD tracks on Soundcloud; https://soundcloud.com/trygve-larsen My NEW is unpublished
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Trygve Larsen
... And the playtime was 6:32, there. I did not play the whole song, just imported it in Biab, added VST instruments a.s.o, till I was happy, and render it. To my surprise, the rendered track was 29:03 loong ! ...

Hi Leo,

1:
Did the song show that the length was 29 minutes on the top form caption, or did it actually play for 29 minutes?

I understand that BiaB simply checks the BPM (tempo) value for the first bar, and the number of bars, and determines the song length using this tempo start value. It doesn't 'look ahead' at other changes to tempo values within the song when calculating the predicted song length.

I'm interested to know if the song actually took 29+ minutes to play, or if that was the initial suggestion from the program only.

2:
When you mention 'and render it', does that mean 'Generate' the song, or render to an output audio file?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Hi Leo,

1:
Did the song show that the length was 29 minutes on the top form caption, or did it actually play for 29 minutes?
Yes, It actually took 29 minits to play the song...

I understand that BiaB simply checks the BPM (tempo) value for the first bar, and the number of bars, and determines the song length using this tempo start value. It doesn't 'look ahead' at other changes to tempo values within the song when calculating the predicted song length..
Ok, then THAT is highly inadequate for playing midi with differences in BPM during the song..

2: When you mention 'and render it', does that mean 'Generate' the song, or render to an output audio file?
Render to an output...

Trygve "Leo" Larsen
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I don't think BIAB reads tempo at all from MIDI files, other than the initially set tempo when you open the file. When I look at the event list on the Melody Track (which is where MIDI files go), I don't see tempo at all). It does read things like volume and panning, though.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran

Hi Leo,

1:
Yes, It actually took 29 minits to play the song...

Wow. 29 minutes. Did it sound slow and drawn out? Did it play repeated sections? Did it take a long time between notes?
What did the 29+ minute result actually sound like?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Since it is midi after all, make it sound normal. And since I never had heard that song in its original speed before, I could not tell. But it was of course a bit "boring"... wink No really long time between notes at all... And no repeated section.. Just looooong... wink

So if this is not a bug or something, just lack of the ability to read this kind of info from a midifile, that makes BiaB actually useless for many classical midifiles.

I suggest PG music look into that and see if it is possible to implement such reading of tempo in the program code.. I mean, VanBasco is a FREE midiplayer and does it. So it can't be that hard... wink

Trygve "Leo" Larsen
Veteran
Veteran
"So I played it again in VanBasco and that was the time I observed that after a while the BPM changed from around 48 to 300 after a little while, and then up and down as the music played..."

Maybe that is your answer. If BiaB only picked up the 48 BPM then the fast original 300 BPM parts were played at 48 BPM, i.e. much slower. Thus every minute of 300 BPM would take around 6 minutes at 48 BPM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
BTW, I did a google for the topic and saw that I have addressed the problem before here. That time about making karaoke songs in Biab. https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=456562

Here it was suggested that perhaps RB was a better choice for working with midifiles. So I was thinking; Ok, let me try that again. But guess what? I open same midifile in RB, and it started with 120 BMP ! Same midifile as BiaB starts whit 48 ! ! !

This particular midifiles has A LOT of tempo-change, so for me to manually set those with the Bar setting, is out of the question..

And THEN, to try the file in the 120 BPM speed, thinking it would at least sound closer to the original, I tried to open Kontakt 5, Thinking RB now was also a 64 bit program, I tried first the 64 bit version. But guess what???? Kontakt 5 is NOT a valid VST plugin... So, thinking ok, RB is not a 64 bit program yet, so let me just open the 32 bit version. But guess what again???? NOT valid again ! So WTF ??? IS RB a 32 bit program or not???

Is it ANY DAW out there that DOES NOT have all this problems and limitations`???????

Trygve "Leo" Larsen
Veteran
Veteran

Is it ANY DAW out there that DOES NOT have all this problems and limitations`???????

When I was using Sonar if I clicked on a MIDI file and opened it with Sonar, Sonar would include the tempo file.

If you had Sonar open and inserted a MIDI file the file would follow Sonar's tempo track.

You might want to check the new free Cakewalk by Bandlab and see if that is still true. Or maybe a user can confirm this.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi MarioD ! I tried it in the trial version of Reaper, and it works there. Will download Cakewalk and give it a try also there. Most midi works fine in BiaB, except a few till now, so I don't see any BIG reason to invest in another DAW... wink But since Cakewalk is free, then why not give it a try, I think..

Trygve "Leo" Larsen
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,533
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200