Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
KLB #570389 12/13/19 03:37 PM
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
While I can see the simplicity of a unit like the Tascam, there are so many tools that are available to you in a computer that is not there in a stand alone system hence why it cost $45,000 to record, heck some of that could have been soaked up with BiaB and some cool RTs.

Imagine if you replaced about $20,000 of that how much quicker you break even or break into the black ink on a project.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
KLB #570393 12/13/19 04:49 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Check out the original post. He has nice powered Yamaha HS8 monitors already......

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
K
KLB Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
K
Originally Posted By: MarioD

3-BUT to improve RT sounds you will definitely have to replace your computer speakers with near field monitors. Near field monitors can be expensive. But even a pair of Presonus Eris E3.5-3.5" Near Field Studio Monitor (Pair) (E3.5) for $99 USD would sound a lot better than those computer speakers:

https://www.amazon.com/PreSonus-Eris-E3-...0665&sr=8-6

MarioD,
Regarding item #3:

Currently the output from BiaB is going directly from my laptop to a set of old Altec Lansing external computer speakers. My piano on the other hand is going directly into a pair of Yamaha HS8 studio monitors. Once I get some type of interface my plan is to connect all of my sources to the interface, and then connect the interface to the Yamahas and/or my Sennheiser headphones. I'm guessing that addresses the issue you bring up with monitors and RT sounds in #3. Am I correct?

Thanks.

Oops, sslechta beat me to the punch in clarifying the monitor situation.

Last edited by KLB; 12/14/19 02:46 AM.
KLB #570439 12/14/19 04:24 AM
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: KLB
Originally Posted By: MarioD

3-BUT to improve RT sounds you will definitely have to replace your computer speakers with near field monitors. Near field monitors can be expensive. But even a pair of Presonus Eris E3.5-3.5" Near Field Studio Monitor (Pair) (E3.5) for $99 USD would sound a lot better than those computer speakers:

https://www.amazon.com/PreSonus-Eris-E3-...0665&sr=8-6

MarioD,
Regarding item #3:

Currently the output from BiaB is going directly from my laptop to a set of old Altec Lansing external computer speakers. My piano on the other hand is going directly into a pair of Yamaha HS8 studio monitors. Once I get some type of interface my plan is to connect all of my sources to the interface, and then connect the interface to the Yamahas and/or my Sennheiser headphones. I'm guessing that addresses the issue you bring up with monitors and RT sounds in #3. Am I correct?

Thanks.

Oops, sslechta beat me to the punch in clarifying the monitor situation.

You are right! You already have good monitors and yes that does address this issue. I just missed that part, old eyes plays tricks again. Sorry for any confusion.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
KLB #570636 12/15/19 07:20 AM
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
KLB,

What Zoom recorder do you have?

As Charlie mentioned earlier, the Zoom R8, R16 and R24 can be used as USB audio interfaces and as standalone recorders.

No need to spend money on a USB audio interface if you already have one.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
KLB #570797 12/16/19 09:44 AM
Veteran
Veteran
The Altec speakers designed for computers are not the way to go. Sound quality, as you know, is horrible.

Unfortunately, you are going to have to spend a couple hundred dollars. Start with a solid interface running ASIO. Include good quality pre amps, phantom power, and at least 2 inputs for audio and outputs as well to match what you need. Focusrite is a great brand and I have used one now for over a decade. I started with it on my laptop. From the interface, run a pair of 5" self powered monitors. I have a pair of Mackie MR 5 studio speakers.

All told.... $400 to $500 gets you in the game. Don't cheap-out on the interface. A good one will last you for many years. Same thing goes for the speakers. You will never regret buying good quality gear.

Personally, I don't have an amazing system by comparison to some other folks I know, but I still have a couple thousand into the gear and software. It's worth every dollar because it does what I need.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
KLB #570971 12/17/19 07:05 AM
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Actually all he needs is the interface as he has a set of monitors attached to his keyboard. As herb (guitarhacker)said spend on the interface. I spent a pretty penny for mine several years ago and while it’s old enough the software is no longer developed it still give me rock solid performance. Even when I switched to win 10 it doesn’t skip a beat. The ability to have 8 inputs, and 8 outputs and the ability to route signals where I want is very powerful.

All my software works flawlessly with it. I also love the sound of the preamps they are clear and crisp.

Last edited by Rob Helms; 12/17/19 07:06 AM.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
K
KLB Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
K
After pondering the options for a while I decided to try a mixer rather than the audio interface. Although a really cheap mixer probably would have been adequate for my current needs I sprang for something a little better and picked up one that has USB. It's the Yamaha MG 10Xu. Undoubtedly overkill for my needs, but what the heck, it's Xmas. I'd welcome any comments on the appropriateness of my choice. Thanks again to everyone who has weighed in on this topic.

Hopefully not to overburden you folks, but my next question on a related, but different topic, involves the MIDI/Audio Drivers settings in BiaB, and whether or not I can improve the sound quality I'm getting from BiaB by somehow utilizing my Roland RD as an external MIDI device. I'll post a new question regarding this topic so it doesn't get all intertwined in this thread. Thanks!

KLB #571391 12/19/19 03:25 PM
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<<< While I can see the simplicity of a unit like the Tascam, there are so many tools that are available to you in a computer that is not there in a stand alone system . . . >>>

Actually, every single tool that is available on a computer is also available in the Tascam stand alone recorders, even the least expensive ones such as the Tascam Dr-05 which is also a 2x2 in/out audio interface. Multi-track units like the DP-24 don't have the audio interface feature but rather function the same as external memory flash drives and audio files are easily transferred back and forth between all DAW's and the DP-24/32. They provide the benefits of both genres, DAW and stand alone.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
KLB #571402 12/19/19 04:25 PM
Expert
Expert
Here's a product that wasn't around for the consumer, as far as I know, when I first got into digital audio, not all that many years ago, '05 something like that:
https://101audio.com/daw-control-surfaces/
This speaks to one of the great advantages of the porta studio, manual faders.
I have three contents, Guitar, Vocal, and BiaB, eight tracks and two inputs, A and B. The tracks are assigned as follows: A-B-A-B-A-B-A-B. Any two can record at the same time. 7 & 8 are always BB. 1 & 3 & 5 allow three guitar takes. 2 & 4 & 6 permit three full vocal takes.
The control surface linked to above will permit that kind of work flow using the DAW. Others no doubt have found different solutions.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
KLB #576041 01/14/20 04:22 AM
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I as you chose ran my system thru a Yamaha mixer into a delta 24/96 sound card and got decent results. If you are going to run through a mixer it is very important to make sure your sound card is up to the game. When I switched to a dedicated interface I was surprised how much noise it eliminated my delta card was great, but the mixer was not pristine in its preamps like my Presonus interface is.

Signal chain is the key in recording. Most mixers are designed for live music where a little bit of noise is acceptable since there will be a lot of links in that signal chain. Some tips to make it better is don’t be cheap on cables and connectors. Keep cable lengths short, and route them properly.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,620
Posts735,173
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 184