Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Bought version 4 a while ago, rarely used it, couln't get it going like in the clip below, and now there's a hugely improved version 5 ... any users and opinions?

PS Was lured into buying version 4 it because of this clip (was not really impressed by all the Japanese dance music being produced so far with it):

New version: Yamaha Vocaloid 5 review

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
That is a super impressive demonstration. I would say this audio track indicates Alberto Fernández Moldes is a very talented musician and programmer.

It will be interesting to read what forum member dcuny has to say. He likely has more experience with Vocaloids than anyone else in the forum.

The lead singer is "Sweet Ann" with harmonies provided by vocaloids "Avanna" and "Big Al". The overall effect is stunning but after close listening I can notice some words have all the formats correct but while the overall sound is pleasing the actual words are not distinct. I don't think someone can accurately transcribe the song lyrics using just this audio recording.

The backing tracks are impressive too. To my ear the weak instrument is the piano solo. That's some of the most natural sounding sampled or modeled guitar tracks I've heard.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
WOW, an amazing demo. I've often been tempted to buy one to use with biab. You might just have tempted me to push the boat out next year sometime. Jim, I could make out ever word in this song. I've love Patsy Montanas' songs and would like to hear some more old country songs, maybe some ballads before I decide ?

Loved the fiddle work in this. Patsy herself of course was a great fiddler as well as singer / songwriter

Off-Topic
W
Expert
Expert
W
Wow, it is the first time I have heard that song with Vocaloid. Very impressive.

I have played around quite a bit with Vocaloid (not v5 though) and I'm quite sure that you can get good results if you have A LOT of patience and time to program it.

It is - however - worth considering if you are not better off paying a real singer a small amount of money to do the vocals - if you check places like fiverr.com and others, you will see that it is not too expensive to get a real singer.

I guess it is a matter about how your value your time... you can for sure get good results with Vocaloid (or Realivox Ladies, etc.), but if you spend 3 days to make it sound good it might be worth considering other options.

Just my 2 cents.
Will

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sweet ANN is a Vocaloid 2. That tells you something about the skill of the person who put together this demo.

Here's a demo I did using Avanna, which is a Vocaloid 3. The backing is BiaB, and I didn't do anything special to the vocal: The Water Is Wide

I think it's a good example of the sort of results you can expect from a Vocaloid.

Vocaloids can be used to create some very appealing vocals, but even with the improvements of Vocaloid 5, nothing that will be confused with an actual human singer.

If you've got the money to spend, go ahead purchase a Vocaloid to play with. They're a cool technology.

But if your English is fairly good, even if you're not a strong singer, you'll get better results either singing yourself, or getting a friend to do it, and pitch correcting the results if necessary. Or - as suggested - find an inexpensive singer online.

Either way, the results will be much better than with a Vocaloid.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Well it sounds nice enough, and maybe with some aftermath processing adding a bit of air and light distortion (often used mixing real vocals) can do some wonders to this track? Curious how much programming went into it. Compliments !

PS read a bit through your blog page. Quite interesting, but i am no programmer. But with the possible future of humanlike robots arriving more and more this all could be very important. Otherwise we might loose out on our verbal and quite limited communication with them, and might even go under as biological species while the robots take over due their own more efficient electronic ways like wifi, bluetooth, radio etc ... smirk

Off-Topic
W
Expert
Expert
W
There's another pretty good sounding option: Synth V. The first official version came out yesterday (I think), but you can still try it for free. Here is a song made with Eleanor Forte (the first English voice bank):

It is a program that is quite easy and fun to use (compared with Vocaloid) - and much cheaper as well.

Will

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Nice find Will

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
We've discussed Synthesizer V before. smile

From the demos I'd heard, I'm not convinced the results are much different than Vocaloid. Still, I'm very happy to see it in the marketplace.

The license becomes available on December 28, for 79 USD. It's not entirely clear what's being licensed - are you purchasing the editor, the voices, or what? How many versions is the license good for? What happens when new voices or versions come out? How many instances can you have running?

-- David Cuny

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Does anyone know which BIAB user is the artist behind the Syvis Entertainment Project which uses vocaloids on some awesome BIAB song creations? I really want to get in touch...

Thanks in advance!

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, MacPro (Mid-2010) OSX 10.12.6
DAW: Digital Performer 8

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
That is a super impressive demonstration. I would say this audio track indicates Alberto Fernández Moldes is a very talented musician and programmer.

as is so often the case with demos of music products. Everything that wows you is POSSIBLE, but it relies heavily on the acquired knowledge of the person who made the demo. Buying the product doesn't give you that knowledge, so most people never come anywhere close to getting the results they heard in the demo.

Kind of like buying one of those harp-itars after watching an Andy McKee video, and expecting to make recordings that sound like his because you have a similar instrument. Nope, never gonna happen.

Last edited by Pat Marr; 01/13/20 07:55 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The other thing that I hear is he probably tried out several different styles of music before he hit on an old up tempo and busy country style. Fast, no long held notes, quick phrases and the vocal is partially covered up by lots of guitar picking. And a LOT of manipulation using Melodyne.

As a quick aside concerning AI robots taking over. The best scientists in the world today still have no idea what conscientiousness is much less how to recreate it. The term "Artificial Intelligence" is nothing but a scifi term used by geeks because it sounds cool. Don't be fooled by clever programming. Ok, mini rant over.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
W
Expert
Expert
W
I've heard 2 good songs since I posted in this thread last time... one with Eleanor Forte and one with Alanna (Vocaloid 3).

They both sort of convinced me that if you use this kind of "vocal" software... it actually CAN work if it is used in the right musical context. Here they are... the first one is With Eleanor and the second with Alanna:

Will

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
That second one is Avanna. She is a fantastic Vocaloid (V3) and can still be used in the latest Vocaloid 5 Editor... but SADLY only for Windows users. That might not affect the majority of you... but as a Mac user that means I would have to jump through some serious hoops to work with her, and the developers say they have not intention of releasing a Mac version update.

<sigh>

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, MacPro (Mid-2010) OSX 10.12.6
DAW: Digital Performer 8

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I tried to sneak it by Janice by quietly listening while she was reading. Two bars into the vocal she looks over and says “Another vocaloid...but country this time!” smile

But I’m not being dismissive of the technology or the skill level required to produce an effort like this. Getting that degree of country phrasing, infections, etc., is genuinely impressive. Janice sang, including yodeling, songs like that for years in our bluegrass bands for many years so it would be difficult to “fool” her even briefly. But I was surprised as we had not discussed or listened to a vocaloid track in quite a while.

BTW, I think some of the power pop ballads sound more authentic. FWIW.

Interesting post!

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: zedd
Does anyone know which BIAB user is the artist behind the Syvis Entertainment Project which uses vocaloids on some awesome BIAB song creations? I really want to get in touch... Thanks in advance!
Zedd, perhaps you're asking about forum user "dcuny". Check out +++ his post +++ to this thread just above one of your posts.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
L
L
Hello,

Here some of my old personal tests with femal singer Vocaloid 3.
In French, English (aVANNA) and Spanish langage (MAIKA).
I find Maika too realistic in spanish langage.
It's true than use Vocaloid singer requires a lot of work ;-)

English : 【Avanna】 IMAGINE DRAGONS - Demons 【TSD - Vocaloid Cover】
https://youtu.be/oFFdX44QV1E

【Maika】 MANU CHAO - Clandestino (Vocal chorus) 【TSD - Vocaloid Cover/Remix】
https://youtu.be/J-EGMq3nZV0

- I have try too Vocaloid AVANNA to french langage , but I find the result is not nice.

Normal, because Avanna is not is not planned for that ^^
【Avanna】 YSA FERRER - mes reves 【TSD - French Vocaloid Cover】
https://youtu.be/eDoGQAJTh24

PS: Sorry for my bad english ... I'm french ^^

Eric

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Emvoice is also a contender in this market.

But I think Synthesizer V is really the one to watch. The reason is because they're applying machine learning to tuning the vocals. Here's an example they posted of a song that was automatically tuned:

Although it's still synthetic, I think it's much better than anything that I've heard up to this point. This will be first available for the Japanese voices later next year, with support for other languages to follow.

-- David Cuny

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,579
Posts734,676
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200