Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
T
OP Offline
T
Using Focusrite Scarlett with a iPad or laptop does it really help improve the song?

Rich

Apprentice
Apprentice
I have a Scarlett 18i20, big machine, the preamps really improved my songs.

Al the best.

Antonello

I muri sono creature... scontrose
Expert
Expert
There is a whole new class of USB2 interfaces out now shipping beginning October. All have a Blend/Mix or similar knob and promise near-zero latency. Everyone's using the same ICs but the feature list varies.

Focusrite's version is called 3rd Generation and those are the ones you want. Avoid the older ones.

https://focusrite.com/news/introducing-scarlett-3rd-gen

I just bought a Mackie mixer with one of these new interfaces built in and love it. I will probably buy the MOTU M4 for the desktop soon but am waiting for NAMM to see what others are releasing.

The Mix or Blend between input and output plus extremely low latency over USB 2 is the hallmark of all of these from MOTU, Mackie, Native Instruments, Behringer, RME, M-Audio, PreSonus and a few others I'm forgetting. AKG has a new podcasting mic with that interface built in, too. Mackie has desktop boxes and 6–30 channel traditional mixers (mine is a 12).

BTW, USB-C is just a connector. None of these is USB 3 except the PreSonus and none are USB 3.1 or Thunderbolt. Frankly, the round trip is so fast (2.8ms) that USB-2 is fine.

Everyone is coming out with something and the prices are low. It's a buyer's market.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Expert
Expert
Back to your question.

Originally Posted By: TESTINGRICH1
Using Focusrite Scarlett with a iPad or laptop does it really help improve the song?

It depends what you're doing and how you want to do it. If recording vocals to go with your BIAB tracks, then yes, better mic preamps are, well... better. If you're already using a Mackie with VLZ or Onyx mic pres, then save your money unless lower latency is the goal.

Focusrite, MOTU, Mackie and RME are noted for the cleanliness of their mic pres. M-Audio and Behringer, uh... not so much.

All the new interfaces are similarly priced for the same feature set. This allows you to nitpick among the other features before spending your money. The MOTU M2/M4 has Mac drivers that let channels 1 & 2 have independent blend controls and shave .2ms off the round trip. MOTU and NI have nice meters though they do it differently. As I posted earlier, besides desktop boxes, Mackie has traditional mixers and the entire line of USB 2 interfaces features their high-gain Onyx preamps. PreSonus actually USB3 which shaves about .8 ms off the round trip (yep, that's all). If all you need is a microphone, the AKG Lyric has this built in.

iPad only

The Apple USB3 Camera Connection Kit is required on the Apple side for the lowest latency with your iPad and has a spare 12V (iPad charger) charging port. If you have a 3rd gen iPad Pro, then you have USB3 already through the USB-C port.

With any of these new interfaces, you are going to monitor from the interface. You can put a piece of tape over the headphone jack; it's now officially obsolete. Taping over the 'phone jack lessens the chance of moisture damage and taking out your motherboard by having someone bump a plug (this actually happened to me).

If you have an older USB interface into an iPad, you can use a USB3 audio hub into the CCK and monitor off it instead, I use this unit from UGREEN. Though it has its own 5V charging port, I run mine with bus power—very little draw from my iPad Pro 2nd generation. If someone knocks the jack, I'm out only $16.
https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-External-A...49262&psc=1

There's no such thing as true zero latency but the latest units (including that UGREEN) are so fast that you can't hear it.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran

Focusrite's version is called 3rd Generation and those are the ones you want. Avoid the older ones.

I've got a 1st generation Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 here, no problems with it whatsoever. I use it for recording guitar tracks, no noticeable latency.

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

I've got a 1st generation Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 here, no problems with it whatsoever. I use it for recording guitar tracks, no noticeable latency.
And there's nothing wrong with that but you have to set it up within an app to fake low latency. It's USB 1.1 and 1/10 the round trip speed of the new units.

I'm still using my MOTU 828mkII FireWire (through the Apple FW–TB converter into a TB 2 dock into a TB2–TB3 converter into the USB-C port on my iMac Pro — Yikes!) which is a little faster and I've set it up to work great. It's 13 years old, now, and better is out there for a lot less than I paid in 2007.

The new units are using a chip set that allows them a 2.7 ms RT right out of the box—actual USB 2 speeds. No need to compensate in the app. It just works through the blend control. Among other features are 24-bit/192kHz converters. It doesn't matter who the manufacturer is — they're all using the same core ICs and they're extremely good.

This now lets you shop features such as the actual mic pres, metering, I/Os, form factor and so on. I'm looking at the MOTU M4 ($219) but a Scarlett 4i4 ($229) would work fine for me. I like the M4's metering, however and the ability to have separate blend controls for R/L if I install the Mac drivers. I really don't think the .2 ms speed increase (with the drivers only) will make a difference.

The thread is about what to buy now. A Scarlett older than Gen 3 is obsolete and the new ones are so much better and quite inexpensive. It makes no sense to buy the old versions at any price.

I am not recommending that you toss yours just because it's old. Same as I'm not rushing to buy my daughter a new unit. Her 1st Gen Scarlett is doing quite well, too.

NAMM is still a month away. Waiting to see what else gets announced before I pull the trigger.

T
OP Offline
T
What version of the mackie did you buy?
do you connect to the mackie using usb? Instead of headphones jack?

I appreciate your help

Thanks

Rich

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: TESTINGRICH1
What version of the mackie did you buy?
do you connect to the mackie using usb? Instead of headphones jack?

I appreciate your help

Thanks

Rich

Yes, I connect via USB. It's the 12 channel version of this:

https://mackie.com/products/profxv3-professional-effects-mixers-usb

It behaves like any of the other new USB 2 recording interfaces with the Blend/Mix control. I first bought the 6 channel version but it took up more desk space than I liked — records great, though. I want a smaller package on my desk and may buy the Scarlett Gen 3, MOTU M4 unless something else blows me away at NAMM in a few weeks.

The 12 channel plus my MacBook Pro is my new remote rig. The mixer + MBP fits the gig bag from my old 1402vlzPro but it weighs about 5 lb. less.

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D

And there's nothing wrong with that but you have to set it up within an app to fake low latency. It's USB 1.1 and 1/10 the round trip speed of the new units.

The Focusrite Scarlett series have been USB 2 from the beginning.

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: dylanw

The Focusrite Scarlett series have been USB 2 from the beginning.
Nope. It's easy to be confused on this point.

The Gen 3 interfaces operate at "high speed USB 2.0" and are not backwards compatible. This is true of all of the new USB 2 interfaces released since August 2019 that use this new chip set, no matter which manufacturer.

The 1st & 2nd generation Scarletts may require firmware upgrades to become USB 2 Class Compliant. In addition, they require apps to compensate for latency. The 1st gen uses Scarlett Mix Control while the 2nd gen uses Focusrite Control, both downloadable from the support site.

Personally, I've already bought the Mackie FxPro12v3 with this same technology because I like the Onyx preamps and get seven along with a standard mixer layout for $329. I want a smaller box for my desktop, however. The Scarlett 4i4 gen 3 ($229) and MOTU M4 ($219) are the likely contenders — unless something blows me away at NAMM this week.

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
The 1st & 2nd generation Scarletts may require firmware upgrades to become USB 2 Class Compliant. In addition, they require apps to compensate for latency. The 1st gen uses Scarlett Mix Control while the 2nd gen uses Focusrite Control, both downloadable from the support site.

I really think that you must be thinking of something else, because my 1st get Scarlett 2i4 is connected as a USB 2 device, and I don’t have any Focusrite software installed. Nor have I ever installed a firmware update. The manual for the 1g 2i4 says
Quote:
Note that Scarlett 2i4 is a USB 2.0 device, and thus the USB connection requires a USB 2.0+ compliant port on your computer. It will not operate correctly with USB 1.0/1.1 ports

Veteran
Veteran

I really think that you must be thinking of something else, because my 1st get Scarlett 2i4 is connected as a USB 2 device, and I don’t have any Focusrite software installed. Nor have I ever installed a firmware update. The manual for the 1g 2i4 says
Quote:
Note that Scarlett 2i4 is a USB 2.0 device, and thus the USB connection requires a USB 2.0+ compliant port on your computer. It will not operate correctly with USB 1.0/1.1 ports

Indeed. Also the statement "In addition, they require apps to compensate for latency." is false.

Expert
Expert

Quote:

Indeed. Also the statement "In addition, they require apps to compensate for latency." is false.

Focusrite disagrees with you. It's all on their web site—look under Support.

Frankly, I don't care one bit for the pissing contest you armchair experts seem to crave. I was answering the OP. I've done that and am through with this topic. I will neither read nor respond to this thread. My work here is done.

Veteran
Veteran
????

The user manual for the first generation 2i4 clearly states it is a USB 2.0 device. It is also clearly marked as a USB 2.0 device at the back of the unit. And I'm not running any apps to compensate for latency.

But, believe what you want.

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
For what it's worth, the Focusrite Saffire 6 USB was a 1.1 device whose last version was upgraded to USB 2. It's been out of production for a while, though.

Anyway, if you find a good deal on a Scarlett 2i4 1G, I've been pretty happy with mine for quite a while.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,581
Posts734,680
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200