Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#576430 01/16/20 11:32 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It was mentioned in another thread what a nice job Peter and company did on the latest GUI. I completely agree and use it all of the time.

So I was wondering how many of us use the new GUI? How many are using the old GUI? This is not an attempt to discourage any one but with all of the talk about rewrites and GUI changes, and yes I am one whom advocates some of them, I was wondering what GUI is the most popular.

+1 for the new GUI from me.

Last edited by MarioD; 01/17/20 08:36 AM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Expert
Expert
HI Mario

I am afraid I still use the old one.
When the new one came out I was still finding my way round the old one , having only had BIAB since version 2014.
I just could not bare the thought of having to find everything again.
I hate any app where you have to work down through menus, and much prefer to have as much as possible on top and handy, where I can get at it in one click.
Any improvement that causes me to have more clicks to get somewhere is a downgrade to me not an upgrade even if it does look cleaner and tidier.
Just call me old fashioned !

Mike

Last edited by Mike Head; 01/16/20 11:51 AM.

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Veteran
Veteran
As a classically trained Ph.D. Analytical Chemist and research scientist my first admonition when I see this is, "...be careful what questions you ask and how you ask them". We already know the vocal component of this forum who are likely to respond are long time users. Therefore, the population sample we are polling will be biased, non-random and not representative of the entire user base. As a result no clear hypothesis can be stated nor tested. This means no practical conclusions can be drawn from this effort. crazy

I use the old GUI. grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
+1 for the New GUI for me also.

The new GUI layout is more streamlined, less cluttered.

Of course, there's no right way or wrong way. It's the individual's choice.

I never use the old one (actually I wouldn't dare after "rocking the boat" on this very same subject wink ).

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
+1 for NEWer GUI.

Peter did the right thing by leaving older style front page for people who are use to it. Cakewalk (DAW) has what they now call "Work Spaces" this is somewhat similar, when you can choose your workspace.

However, I do feel that mixer and unintuitive menus are also a significant part of graphical user experience and while the initial front page was addressed, I feel these two big items were left out.

MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
As a classically trained Ph.D. Analytical Chemist and research scientist my first admonition when I see this is, "...be careful what questions you ask and how you ask them". We already know the vocal component of this forum who are likely to respond are long time users. Therefore, the population sample we are polling will be biased, non-random and not representative of the entire user base. As a result no clear hypothesis can be stated nor tested. This means no practical conclusions can be drawn from this effort. crazy

I use the old GUI. grin

Yes, I know. I took some statistics also! Thus the unscientific poll title!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
1+ new

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
I tried the new one and quickly reverted to the old one.

Veteran
Veteran
Dan, that's been my point on these subjects for years. This forum is not close to representing the customer base. I personally know several very experienced users who can't be bothered to even check out the forum despite my telling them it's pretty nice around here and they could contribute a lot.

Oh, almost forgot the GUI

I use both. And, minor correction it's a poll not a pole. One of those English things that drives non English speaking students crazy.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
+1 for the look of the new GUI. But I haven't used it much so I still prefer using the older GUI.

Then again though I'm still progressing from moving from an eleven year old computer operating system to that "new" computer operating system that's "only" five years old. smile

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
The very old one has features that would be handy:

Apprentice
Apprentice
I actually use both equally .

M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
+1 Old GUI

Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen
Windows 10 pro 1709 16299.125
Intel core i7 6700k CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.01 GHz
16 gig memory
BIAB UltraPak version is 2023 (Latest)
Cubase pro 9
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
With Ctrl+T you could add another GUI instead of just old or new you could have old, new or custom.
The custom one could be exactly that, where you can adjust the layout, position, icons or text similar to the very old BB above.
So Ctrl+T will just toggle through the 3 screens old, new or custom.

These are to custom layouts below:

Veteran
Veteran
This has the opportunity to be a great thread.

The O/P asked "how many of us use the new GUI? How many are using the old GUI?"

While there are unlimited variations, if we stick closely to the actual Poll question, we'll get a better result.

The answers to the poll should be one of the below:

- Vote for New GUI
- Vote for Old Gui
- Vote for Both New and Old GUI's

Other great suggestions for how the GUI should work, be improved, etc should be in a separate thread. Yes?

Let's just stick with answering the O/P's question for this thread.
Feel free to start a separate thread for other ideas, though.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Journeyman
Journeyman
I am confessing something... I never knew there was a new GUI except for the work that Pipeline is doing. How do I access it?

Thanks!

...Deb

MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: DSM
I am confessing something... I never knew there was a new GUI except for the work that Pipeline is doing. How do I access it?

Thanks!

...Deb

Deb, Ctrl+T will switch between the two GUIs.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Thanks, MarioD.

...Deb

MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Dan, that's been my point on these subjects for years. This forum is not close to representing the customer base. I personally know several very experienced users who can't be bothered to even check out the forum despite my telling them it's pretty nice around here and they could contribute a lot.

Oh, almost forgot the GUI

I use both. And, minor correction it's a poll not a pole. One of those English things that drives non English speaking students crazy.

Bob

This poll, thanx for pointing out my typo, is not for those whom don't use the forums, obviously. I just thought that it would be nice to see what the forum members are using. It also might help Peter & company. Why would they invest in improving the GUI if most here are still using the old GUI. Or if more are using the new GUI then maybe they would spend more time improving it.

As for those BiaB owners who don't participate in the forums I will say the same thing that I say to those whom don't vote and that is "if you don't vote then don't b-i-t-c-h about the outcome".

Veteran
Veteran
I use the new GUI only.

Please understand that this is made possible by also placing a few key menu items in the Custom toolbar. When the new GUI was introduced, which I think was November 2017 for BIAB 2018, they also gave us the custom toolbars. I loaded up my Custom tab with this:

Notation
New
Open
Save
Save As
MID
Print
Settings
Prefs
Form
Freeze
Sequence

With all of these available at a glance, I have not gone back to the old GUI since about a week after the new one became available.

Mario, thanks for starting this topic. This thread is useful for another reason. I have assumed, wrongly it now appears, that most people used the new GUI. I need to be more careful when answering questions to make sure I continue to mention Ctrl+T and not assume everyone has an icon in the same place as mine.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Pipeline, (your post #576505)
These are concepts, right? There is no way to do this presently?
Thanks.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Yes just concepts but the elements have co-ordinates so if the user could set those they could have it how they like.
So it should not be hard to implement, BUT where on the 5000 line ToDoList would you put it ?
The pic below is just moving the elements with an external app.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
As a classically trained Ph.D. Analytical Chemist and research scientist

Hmmm... mental note... I'd better be more respectful to Dr Dan smile

I switch between the two displays but I prefer the older one.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
Expert
vote old

There is another way to switch between old and new see image

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.PNG (26.4 KB, 104 downloads)

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

Journeyman
Journeyman
I like the look of the new GUI. I'll leave it that way and see how hard it is for me to adapt.

...Deb

Veteran
Veteran
Anything that you find yourself needing from the old GUI, put it in your Custom toolbar. Very soon, you won't need the old GUI.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
pipeline, I knew it was too good to be true smile The idea for the custom GUI selectable with CTR-T is OK, but Cakewalk has it better, because you can have several custom templates switchable in single project. I guess what you proposed will work almost like that. If it will be implemented one day, it would be nice, to be able to save that "custom" template as a file and have a couple of different ones, also, if it is in a form of file you can easily share your favorite GUI template with fellow users.

Flexible GUI... is among top 4 of my requests. If you count overhaul of MiXeR (which could be interpreted as part of GUI) among top 3 requests.

If I had my way, I would publish BIAB with NEWer GUI (2017?) on the start, so new users do not freak out by insane amount of buttons jumping at them and do not discredit the program, judging it by initial appearance. Seasoned users know their way around! If the want to go back to "old look GUI" all they have to do is press SINGLE BUTTON and life will be happy again.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
...If it will be implemented one day, it would be nice, to be able to save that "custom" template as a file and have a couple of different ones, also, if it is in a form of file you can easily share your favorite GUI template with fellow users....

Most DAW have Layouts/Workspaces you can edit and save.

Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
The GUI is a LOT more than just the main screen toolbar! I can press Ctrl-T all day long and it won't improve the maze of buried windows and dialog boxes that contain hundreds and hundreds of Windows 3.0 pushbuttons and radio buttons and checkboxes.

The entire GUI needs a rewrite in order to be acceptable to more sophisticated (younger) users.

The Plugin was suppose to be Biab Lite without out all of that, but I suppose you need to find a happy medium.
To make Biab more customizable is all doable, you can get rid of the features, icons, menu items etc.. you don't use but at the moment all you can do is hope and wish, you are powerless to do anything else and this goes on year in year out, whereas the great thing about Reaper is it customizable and with the API for scripting you don't have to wish for 10 years for something, you can either make it yourself today or ask someone else in the forum to make it tomorrow. The pic below in Reaper is what any user can make tonight ! what if you could do that in Biab we wouldn't have all these very long forum discussions. Remember Winamp it was made to give users more control over things and it was very customizable, the same guy made Reaper.
It is like we are stuck in Pleasantville and don't know it or we are Jim Carrey in The Truman Show. There needs to be more power and control to the users, we don't want to be chickens hoping to be fed.

But anyway back to Mario's Poll
yes I use the new 80% and old 20%

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
AU-Layout.png (26.82 KB, 65 downloads)
Reaper-make-GUI.png (188.4 KB, 62 downloads)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,577
Posts734,594
Members38,497
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications, MAJORKEY
38,496 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193