?
Thank you guys. I’ll try it.

Band-in-a-Box for Windows
?
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
?
Now I’m able to record my voice just one take at the time on my bb file. I can’t check anything on the file before recording. Cuz it disturbs starting timings of bars. Just record my voice. No second take nothing else but one take. If I want more takes I shut the program off. Open it again and do one take recording again. My voice track still playback micro second later than other track. And wav file that automatically saved only has voice track. It’s still not usable function as it is. Why me?

As far as Reaper issue, I’m still studying about it. I’ll install it soon.

Last edited by ライミン; 01/09/20 09:23 AM.
Expert
Expert
Don't buy a DAW - you shouldn't need to. You should be able to do what you want in BIAB and RB. Did you use an ASIO driver? Can you describe the equipment you are using?

are you recording through an audio usb interface or plugging a mic straight into the pc?

i am worried that you might not solve a basic problem before you take the plunge and go for some other program like Reaper only to find you have the same problem.

you say you used to record your voice. what program and what equipment? you might have made a quantum leap in terms of what you are trying to do. we can help but more information would be helpful.

perhaps we're all too far ahead of ourselves suggesting solutions when the issue might be simple and basic

?
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
?
Hi Bob,

>perhaps we're all too far ahead of ourselves suggesting solutions when the issue might be simple and basic

I got a feeling it’s exactly what you are saying. I just want simply record my voice on my bb file. But I never done it before. I plug in my simple microphone into my PC.

>You should be able to do what you want in BIAB and RB.

I thought so too. I used to record my voice and edit it using Audacity. I sung harmony parts on multiple tracks and mixed them. But it’s too much work. I thought bb can do some portions of the work for me. Now I have no time to do my music. Cuz too many things I have to learn. I’m so behind with respect to modern technology.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi ライミン

Here's a PG Music video on recording audio in Windows 7 and 8, it might be useful for you.

I haven't recorded audio for a long time in BIAB because, in the past, I couldn't hear myself back through my headphones while I was recording. This might have changed now. I'll give it a try and get back to you.

Realband, which comes with Windows BIAB, makes recording much easier and it's TC Helicon harmony generator also separates the harmony on to individual tracks.

BIAB, on the other hand, only has a single Audio track and when harmony is performed on an existing vocal track, it will overwrite the vocal. So with BIAB, it pays to keep a copy of the solo vocal so that it's easy to return to it.

My use of the BIAB/RB program suite is to create my song in BIAB.

Load the BIAB into Realband and investigate possible RTs for arrangement purposes.

Put all wav files into Reaper, record a vocal and create a production. If I want vocal harmonies, I take my vocal from Reaper, load it into Realband and use it to generate all the harmony tracks.

I haven't yet got around to investigating if the BIAB VST3 in Reaper can create harmony.

I hope the video helps.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. There is also a PG Music forum at the below link where you can ask for a specific video... might be worthwhile making a request here, too.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=113&page=1

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
?
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
?
Hi guys,

I was able to record using biab DAW plugin with Reaper. My vocal track plays still a bit later than other tracks. One of PG music videos shows how to move existing track to make it insync with other tracks. But I want to be able to record insync. Maybe I should write a new posting with a new title, shouldn’t I?

Veteran
Veteran
Hi ライミン,

I'm glad you've got somewhere. I haven't yet tried recording in BIAB.

If the track you recorded is on Reaper's tracks, it is very, very easy just to drag it left of right to align with BIAB's playback. Don't worry about the bars in Reaper at this stage. I haven't tried it, but I imagine that they can be re-calibrated to suit.

To work out where to slide the track, when you are watching the playback, monitor Reaper's cursor on the very top bar/time scale. When the first note of where your song's melody starts, move the track so that the 'blob' on the track wave that represents the first vocal note lines up with this position. Sometimes the aligning the beginning of the blob is best, sometimes about 10% into it works best, sometimes 20%, etc. You will easily find what suits by using trial and error.

There is also a Reaper function called "Nudge" -- select the track by clicking on it, now either right click and select Nudge from the menu or press N when the track is selected. Nudge will move tracks right or left.

It's ok to leave everything in this thread because it's still part of the same problem.

Hope this helps.
Noel

P.S. Good on you for getting this far!

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
?
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
?
Hi guys, I solved Reaper latency problem by following this video.

https://youtu.be/TzS--D765Zw

Although BIAB recording problem is still remaining I can do recording with Reaper for now usung 60 day free traial. Thank you guys. I’ll report you bakc when something new happens.

Noel, thank you for the details. I may need it later.

Veteran
Veteran
Regarding the 60 day free trial, Reaper will still continue to operate after that.

It will just remind you when you start up that you 60 days are up. The program does not become unusable.

Thank you for sharing the link. I haven't seen that video before.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
?
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
?
Hi guys.

I recorded my vocal on Reaper insync with bb file by DAW plugin. It playback fine. But I can’t save it in bb file. I click File in bb screen on Reaper. And click save or save as. Both only save bb accompanying tracks not my vocal tracks.
I have to be able to save it in order to use harmony function on bb. What am I doing wrong this time?

I’m getting kinda frustrated.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
And audio track that you recorded in your DAW isn't going to be "in the plugin" automatically. However you can import it something like this:

1. save the track as a wave file if necessary (if it's not already a wave file as part of your project).

2. In the plugin, click on the + symbol beside the Audio track (the bottom track) and 'select audio file'.

3. Click the [+] again and select Harmonize. The harmony tracks will be saved on the second group of tracks, and can be dragged into your DAW like the other tracks.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
?
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
?
Hi Andrew, I tried the procedure that you wrote me. Unfortunately the harmonies are so disturbed and not acceptable. Using Reaper, or any DAWs are not my intention originally. I want to do some recording using biab.

My original problem was that I couldn’t record using biab nor Realband. Accompanying tracks and my vocal track won’t playback insync. Then later on the recording function of biab became totally unusable. It won’t start from the beginning even I set the first bar as starting bar.

What do I need to know more to make my biab recording function usable? I’ve been struggling for about a month since I purchased my 2020 upgrade. Please help me.

Veteran
Veteran
Good morning ライミン,

I can hear your frustration. Hang in there. You are nearly at the end of this particular road and, once you are at the end, it will all be easy.

How I would go about getting the file into BIAB is as follows...

Firstly... IN REAPER...

1. SOLO the vocal track.

2. Right-click on the vocal track and select "Item Processing | Normalize Item" as shown on IMAGE 1 below. This will lift the volume of the track in case the recording was quiet.

3. Under "File" select "Render" and set the rendering criteria as shown on IMAGE 2. While IMAGE 2 looks a bit horrific with all the numbers, most of these are default and should be set.

The reason I'm suggesting 44100 Hz (#5) and 16 bit (#10) WAV (#9) file is because that matches the Realtracks in BIAB. In reality, you could use any frequency and bit depth.

I've selected Dither and Noise Shaping (#8) just in case you have recorded at anything other than 44100/16 as this will help give the best render. If you recorded at 44100/16, noise shaping and dither do not need to be active.

Following the above you will create a WAV of your vocal track.

Now in... BIAB

3. Open your song file.

4. Select "File | Import | Audio" and load in the vocal track.

This is where it's necessary to know at what bar the vocal started relative to BIAB's 2-bar count-in.

The settings on IMAGE 3 below, will import the audio on beat 1 of the first bar of the count-in. If you want the audio to start on the first bar of the song, the following numbers would do that...

1 1 1 0

To intrepret these numbers, it's necessary to keep in mind that BIAB uses 120 ticks per beat.

BIAB also uses bars -1 and 0 as the two bars of the count-in.

Thus an import setting of 1 2 3 60 would import the audio in: (a) Chorus 1; (b) Bar 2; (c) half a beat (i.e. 60 ticks) past Beat 3.

I hope all this makes sense.

Regards,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
normalise normalize track.JPG (62.21 KB, 173 downloads)
IMAGE 1... normalise tracks in Reaper
render 44100 16 bit dither noise shape.jpg (257.44 KB, 172 downloads)
IMAGE 2... rendering to 44100 Hz and 16 bit in Reaper
import audio 2020.JPG (38.14 KB, 171 downloads)
IMAGE 3... importing audio into BIAB

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
...adding on to the post above...

Learning to use the Harmoniser in BIAB is a good move.

BIAB actually has two different harmonisers in 2020.

If you are using BIAB 64 bit, only the latest method of adding harmony is possible.

If you use BIAB 32 bit, though, both approached to harmonising are possible.

The image below shows the two harmonisers in BIAB 32-bit.

The top option (#2) is the latest harmoniser. Option #3 is the older TC Helicon. Both are different and worth investigating.

Regards,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
harmony biab32 - two types available.JPG (59.02 KB, 165 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
?
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
?
Haaaaaaa, big sigh. I’m not designed to do those. I wish I could hire someone to do this for me. I just wanna sing.

Veteran
Veteran
It looks much worse than it is. Trust me.

When you've done it once, it will be much easier. I promise.

I'm sorry that I haven't yet tried recording in BIAB. I'll get onto it tomorrow and see if I can reproduce the issue.

Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Everyone has given solid advice so far, so your getting closer. Let me offer one tidbit. I struggled just like you in the beginning, until I broke down and bought a dedicated recording sound card from m-audio it served me well for years. Having a dedicated device that has ASIO drivers takes all the fight out of this. I have since replaced it with a USB interface that does the same and far more. It doesn’t take a lot just one really targeted piece of equipment. This will be the heart and soul of your home studio.

Something like this https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxUSB96--presonus-audiobox-usb-96

Or this https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ScarlettSoloG3--focusrite-scarlett-solo-3rd-gen-usb-audio-interface

Seems like a chuck of money but will pay off in May ways it will eliminate latency and give you good quality sound

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
?
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
?
Hi Noel, thank you so much for step by step explanation. I followed your procedure. The first one step was a bit different on mine. But basically almost all steps are the same on my computer. Finally I was able to use my harmonization function on biab. I didnt have enough energy to complete a tune to let you listen to it today. I’ll do so when I have a done product in a near future. Now I got the idea. Thanks again for your time and effort.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi again, ライミン.

I was pleased to read this. Music software in general (BIAB, DAWs, plugins, etc.) all have a learning curve associated with them. Unfortunately, there's no way to shortcut this is most instances. I've learnt over the years that every time I want to understand new music software, I need to do the following...

(a) remind myself that I have to allow two weeks to start to begin to feel comfortable and to know enough to feel that understanding is developing

(b) watch a beginner's video (or two or three) and get a feel for how the software works

(c) fearlessly play around with the software

(d) make back up files so that I don't lose the original work during when I fearlessly play around

(e) when I feel frustrated, go for a walk around the block

Being aware of and doing the above has helped!

I'm glad you are on your way.

Now... once you feel comfortable in BIAB with this (and as recommended above, I encourage you to use BIAB32 and to experiment with both harmonisers), you can take the NEXT STEP.

The next step is to use the harmonisers in Realband. Both of them are there.

Realband gives more control with the harmony because it creates individual WAVs for each of the harmony parts. This means that it's possible to volume shape each harmony voice as needed. After creating the wav files in Realband, I take them to Reaper to do the volume shaping.

The good thing with Realband is that it reads/opens BIAB files. Proabably the best way to think of Realband is that it's a DAW-like version of BIAB.

I look forward to hearing some of your work.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
?
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
?
Hi Noel,

>Realband gives more control with the harmony because it creates individual WAVs for each of the harmony parts

That maybe the answer for my next question I had yesterday. I was wondering how to combine two tracks of harmonized parts.

> (a) remind myself that I have to allow two weeks to start to begin to feel comfortable and to know enough to feel that understanding is developing.

It took me about a month by now. And I feel like I found a few pieces of jigsaw puzzle out of thousands.

> (b) watch a beginner's video (or two or three) and get a feel for how the software works

I must have been watching two or three DOZENS of them multiple times each.

Who said this is fun? And if PG Music expects musicians to be able to handle this easily they don’t know musicians. Lol

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,604
Posts735,006
Members38,512
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
BroDon, Xtian, michael07716, Ronsei, McYann
38,511 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186