Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Very interesting. They would have heard a much bigger divide if they had used a cleaner sound.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I like the 8s 9s I use the 9s on the cavin ae185 and 8s on the lespaul to me its more of even sound thanks eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hi

Well as comparatively new comer to the Strat I use super slinky 9s . and a very low action. 2.54 mm =.1inch = 3/32 sett up height need to keep it easy on the old fingers at the moment. Takes me all my time converting from the various measuring units you see quoted on the web. I don’t mind measuring in bananas as long as I know how big a banana is .
Just makes it easier to get my fingers.around those chord shapes.

Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I think it also depends on the type of music you’re playing. I use Skinny Top Heavy Bottom I find using just Slinky loses a bit at the bottom playing country although sometimes that’s what I’m stuck with. But that is me. I find in general using an unwound G string causes a bit of a sound I don’t like so much (always seems a bit out of tune or balance or tonally lacking on my Tele) but what can you do. Back in the late 60s early 70s I used to be able to get and use a .17 (or was it .18) wound G string but have not seen them for years. I found the wound G really gave a much nicer (thicker) sound. I can recall using banjo strings to get lighter gauge E strings back in the olde days and that was fun getting the little knobby things to stay in place.

My thoughts or is it just age.
Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 01/24/20 09:23 PM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Tony, no it is not your age! It is the type of music you are playing and the tone that you want for said genre. I have Strat copies that I have strung with 9s or 10 flat wounds. My fake Tele and my MIDI guitar controller has 8s. My jazz box has 13 flat wounds. Each has a different sound.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
for me it isn't about the tone at all. My style of soloing requires a very low action and a very bendable string. 8s are obviously the easiest to stretch to the next note. However, a lighter gauge string will also sound out of tune unless your grip is very consistent when playing chords. A lot of people tune down to Eb or D, which increases the likelihood of bending the strings out of tune just through the pressure required to play chords.

My solution, when I have to transpose a song upward or downward but I don't want to play different chords or use a capo: The Digitech Whammy DT

Assuming you have adapted your grip to standard tuning on a given gauge of strings, the DT acts like a virtual capo that can instantly put you in a different key without changing the tension on your strings. It's also MIDI controllable, so if your setup uses embedded MIDI codes to change patches, effects etc on the fly, this pedal might be a good fit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2SOZBtOF2U

Or, you can save your money, put on heavier strings and tune down.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
My MIDI guitar controller has 8s.

Mario, I noticed that you use 8s on the midi guitar. Even though I prefer 8s on everything else, I recently put much heavier flat wound strings on my MIDI guitar because accidental string stretching causes MIDI glitches. So far the output has been cleaner with the heavier strings. Although, you have spent a lot more time with your MIDI guitar than I have, so I'm guessing you chose 8s for a reason.

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Very interesting and informative - didn't have the time to watch it all now but have it bookmarked for later. I definitely know some players that'd appreciate this video. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Deryk
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
HI All
While talking guitars ,
I am struggling to play this 4 note main rif from P Fs alla David Gilmore (Shine on you crazy diamond)
As a chord shape you would not normally play this as a chord as its pretty discordant
As it is Gm13 (omit 5)
However played as separate notes as here it is that iconic rif
The problem I am having is with the open G as this sits between my and my first finger for the 6th fret 2nd string and third finger that frets the 8th fret 4th string
I seem to damp the G with one or the other finger nail length has to be absolute min to do this and still I fluff it some times. Which is rubbish as it must ring out.
No prob keeping the 2nd and little fingers out of the way.
Any tips chaps.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
main rif.jpg (131.45 KB, 93 downloads)
gm13 omit 5.jpg (108.81 KB, 89 downloads)
Last edited by Mike Head; 01/25/20 07:44 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Originally Posted By: MarioD
My MIDI guitar controller has 8s.

Mario, I noticed that you use 8s on the midi guitar. Even though I prefer 8s on everything else, I recently put much heavier flat wound strings on my MIDI guitar because accidental string stretching causes MIDI glitches. So far the output has been cleaner with the heavier strings. Although, you have spent a lot more time with your MIDI guitar than I have, so I'm guessing you chose 8s for a reason.

I have a very old Casio MG510:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/163646207746

When I used heavy strings (12s) I had a long latency in the low E and A strings. With 8s I do not have that problem. I tried to use Nashville Tuning strings on it:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/332452140333

The response was excellent but the low E thru G were one octave higher and that didn't work well with the synths, i.e. it sounded weird. I do have an acoustic and a 6 string banjo with high strung strings though.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My Parkers were set up with whammy springs for 9-42 strings so that's what I use.

The neck is so nice that a light touch on the left hand is all that is needed, and that way I don't bend the strings unless I want to (and I often want to).

In all the instruments I play, I consider tone to be secondary to expression. We notice tone, the audience notices expression. After all Dr. John, Stevie Nicks, John Lennon, Blossom Dearie and so many other singers with less than great voices have zillions of fans and made more money than I'll see.

And what is good tone anyway? Hendrix? Dale? Gale? Slash? Remler? Page? Beck? Clapton? Hall? Kath? Metheny? Burrell? Ellis? McLaughlin? ________ (insert your favorite here).

Your expression comes from the notes you choose, your dynamics, your timing, your phrasing, and the ornaments you use (and when and how much you apply them). This can't be bought and if you are great on 8 strings, you'll probably be great on 10s.

So IMO there is no wrong gauge strings. Use what you like.

Insights and incites by Rip-Snortin' Notes Norton

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
L
Expert
Expert
L
I also have 9's on acoustic and electric. A bit thin, but easier on my digits! I tried 12s on the Fender Strat and it's never been the same again! A jazz inspired phase. Maybe if I tuned to Eb or practiced 8 hours a day:-)

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Off-Topic
L
Expert
Expert
L
I also have 9's on acoustic and electric. A bit thin on acoustic perhaps, but easier on my digits! I tried 12s on the Fender Strat and it's never been the same again! A jazz inspired phase. Maybe if I tuned to Eb or practiced 8 hours a day:-) I just this week put Ernie 9's on 2 acoustic guitars!

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I switch between 3 electric guitars.
1. Yamaha Super Strat style with narrow fret wire has 10 - 46 either Cobalt or Stainless Steel. Intended to be bright.
2. Schecter PT Custom Shop Tele with medium jumbo frets, Schecter Monster Tone humbuckers with coil splitting and free floating Double Locking Floyd Rose has 9 - 42 (pink package Super Slinky). Intended for rock and metal and feeble attempts at Joe Satriani stuff.
3. Les Paul Florentine (semi hollow body) with coil splitters has 11 - 48 Power Slinkys but I think I'm going to put some kind of flat wound strings on that one to see if I like it. I just got this one in November 2019 and I want to try using it in place of my acoustic for certain things. I know flat wounds are nothing like acoustic strings but a smooth sound and quiet finger noise played clean is what I want to experiment with.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Mike: regarding Shine on.... your fingering is correct. You must come straight in from above on the strings. I see too many people come in at an angle and they end up muting the adjacent strings. BTW that is not meant to be played as a chord per se' it's a riff and therefore you don't care how it sounds in that regard.

Strings..... Ernie Ball Super Slinky.... I arrived at this decision after many years of playing and trying various brands and sizes. Things that brought me to this decision were the playability of the strings as far as bending and ease of fretting. Durability. How long do they last before breaking? How well they maintain tune. Also factored in was the intonation and set up of the guitar to include string height for each different brand. Yep, I did a lot of experimenting to find the set that really worked well for me. The .009 high E to the .042 low E seem to be the perfect string for me. If I go thinner I have durablity issues and too much heavier and I have bendability issues. EBSS is that set that is just right.

And that's only on my electric guitars.

For Acoustic, it's .011 on the high E with the EBSS for acoustic guitar... down to .052 for the low E. The acoustic strings are much harder to bend but that isn't a requirement on the acoustic. Here, it's more about the TONE.... and the heavier strings on the acoustic yield a fatter, fuller, richer tone. They leave grooves in my finger tips but it's all in a days playing.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hi all
Thank you for interest.
Herb thanks for the tip your right of course about the upright fingers i'll just have to practise a bit harder.
The strings were bought on your recommendation, you said I could thank you later so thanks . They are much more playable than what was on there, and lighter on the old fingers.
Best regards
Mike

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,655
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197