Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Late last year on User Showcase I submitted a blues/country instrumental, called LAZY DAYZ.
It got lots of nice feedback from forum members but there was some criticism about the way the organ melody panned via a Leslie effect and there were comments that the song needed a vocal track.
I’ve fixed the organ panning problem but haven’t added a vocal track yet though I have written some lyrics that I’m pretty happy with (Also, I'm not a singer and don't have the facilities to record vocals).
Just before Christmas, I purchased EZmix2 and Mastering II EZmix pack. I’ve been experimenting with this program and am pleased with some of the results I’ve been getting. One of the songs I've been working on with EZmix is Lazy Dayz.
With your indulgence, I submit the 2020 mix/remaster of Lazy Dayz:
https://soundcloud.com/user-952388172/lazy-days-2020-mix

I would love to get some feedback from recording/mixing/mastering enthusiasts re the new mix compared to the original:
https://soundcloud.com/user-952388172/lazy-dayz
Thanks everyone,
Mike

LAZY DAYZ is a slow-medium bluesy piece with a touch of country. The melody is carried largely by Hammond organ, with trombone/brass handling the middle 8 sections.
The backing features great guitar solo work by Jack Pearson and tasty acoustic guitar backing by Brent Mason. There is also some nice organ accompaniment by Jeff Young and beautiful pedal steel by Steve Hinson.
THE BAND:
RT2622:Organ, Rhythm FunkSwing16 Sw16 085
RealBass 533: Bass, Electric, 12-8 Crystal Sw 065
RT2674:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm Blues12-8Brent Sw 065
RealGuitar 627: Pedal Steel, Background 12-8 Crystal
RealSoloist 422: Guitar, Electric, Soloist Blues Sw 120 (Jack Pearson)
RealDrums-CountryShuffle128^7-Snare,Ride

Last edited by mkg50 (Mike G); 01/25/20 07:01 PM.

Mike Garry
BIAB 2022 (Build 927)/RealBand (5) (64bit), UltraPak, Kontakt, EZmix, Ozone 9 Elements, Hybrid 3, Audacity, Acer Predator, Windows 10, 64bit, 16GB ram, CPU: Intel i7.

https://soundcloud.com/user-952388172
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Mike,

I remember this song, just a great groove to it and that hook played by the organ stick with you.

Had a quick listen to the original and then the new mix.

Huge improvement IMHO, sounds great! A lot more presence and full sounding, well done.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Mike,

A great track. A new version really has a lot of clarity to it.

An excellent mix. Well done. Enjoyed it.

fj

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
I agree with the previous comments. A huge improvement on the original. Love the lead guitar. However, I'm thinking if you replaced the Hammond Organ with a flute in the lead parts it would have even more punch and give more of a Jethro Tull vibe. Keep up the good work!

My music may not set the world on fire but if it causes a glow in just one person's heart, it has all been worthwhile smile
User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
You have certainly improved the quality of this song...
Even my ears could discern the difference...
BTW...
I really dig that bass line...
Pretty cool!

Jim
†=☮&♥
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I Think I remember this Mike! You've got a REALLY big sound going on here! Man it sounds great to me! Several instruments coming in and out but it works for me! Very nice! Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
Mike,

It sounds really good to me—great mix. Got no suggestions for you; good to go in my eyes (or ears, as the case may be). Will look forward to hearing it with a vocal just to see where it goes. Nicely done!

My best to you,

Deej

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Yep, the organ sounds better (more organic) without the leslie spinning in my scone.
C'mon - try to sing it (you can always use a pitch correcter).

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Hi Mike,

I remember this song, just a great groove to it and that hook played by the organ stick with you.

Had a quick listen to the original and then the new mix.

Huge improvement IMHO, sounds great! A lot more presence and full sounding, well done.

Thanks for your comments Dave. I was hoping you'd have a listen.
Cheers,
Mike

Mike Garry
BIAB 2022 (Build 927)/RealBand (5) (64bit), UltraPak, Kontakt, EZmix, Ozone 9 Elements, Hybrid 3, Audacity, Acer Predator, Windows 10, 64bit, 16GB ram, CPU: Intel i7.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
We remember it too. This mix sounds excellent!

Really effective arrangement also.

We enjoyed it.

J&B

PS: If you plan on submitting to the streaming platforms I would reduce the volume. It is loud...relatively. Below is a great link that will almost immediately show you how much the major streaming platforms would pull up or down your songs...if needed. I suspect this one would be reduced several db's. it's typically better to submit at the current industry standard volumes than have them adjust it which they will. SC which is about the only platform that doesn't make adjustments. Because of that at SC you can listen to several songs at typical streaming loudness then have the next one blow your monitors off the shelf smile If you have no interest in placing it on platforms other than SC please ignore my babbling!

It only takes a few seconds to measure it.
https://www.loudnesspenalty.com

FWIW!!!

User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Mike,

A great track. A new version really has a lot of clarity to it.

An excellent mix. Well done. Enjoyed it.

fj

Thanks Floyd. I really appreciate your taking the time to listen and comment. Glad you liked it.
Mike
Originally Posted By: Ghostgum
I agree with the previous comments. A huge improvement on the original. Love the lead guitar. However, I'm thinking if you replaced the Hammond Organ with a flute in the lead parts it would have even more punch and give more of a Jethro Tull vibe. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Ghostgum. It's good to get feedback, especially when it's so positive. I'll have a think about your 'flutes' suggestion.
Cheers,
Mike

Mike Garry

User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Jim
You have certainly improved the quality of this song...
Even my ears could discern the difference...
BTW...
I really dig that bass line...
Pretty cool!

Thanks for taking the time to have a listen Jim. I appreciate your comments.
Cheers,
Mike
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
I Think I remember this Mike! You've got a REALLY big sound going on here! Man it sounds great to me! Several instruments coming in and out but it works for me! Very nice! Thanks, Torrey

Glad you like the new mix Torrey. I'm having fun with the EZmix plug-in.
Mike

Mike Garry

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Really great use of RealTracks! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Cheers,
Ember
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Love the mix. Too lazy to compare to the old. wink

Despite reading the description, I was still surprised at the entrance of the trumpets and trombone. Cool!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Mike,

It sounds really good to me—great mix. Got no suggestions for you; good to go in my eyes (or ears, as the case may be). Will look forward to hearing it with a vocal just to see where it goes. Nicely done!

My best to you,

Deej

Thanks for listening and for the feedback Deej.
Cheers,
Mike
Originally Posted By: rayc
Yep, the organ sounds better (more organic) without the leslie spinning in my scone.
C'mon - try to sing it (you can always use a pitch correcter).

Thanks Ray. No, I wont be singing the song. A pitch corrector: sounds like something they need at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
Cheers,
Mike
PS: congrats on your User Showcase Award.

Mike Garry

User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
We remember it too. This mix sounds excellent!

Really effective arrangement also.

We enjoyed it.

J&B

PS: If you plan on submitting to the streaming platforms I would reduce the volume. It is loud...relatively. Below is a great link that will almost immediately show you how much the major streaming platforms would pull up or down your songs...if needed. I suspect this one would be reduced several db's. it's typically better to submit at the current industry standard volumes than have them adjust it which they will. SC which is about the only platform that doesn't make adjustments. Because of that at SC you can listen to several songs at typical streaming loudness then have the next one blow your monitors off the shelf smile If you have no interest in placing it on platforms other than SC please ignore my babbling!

It only takes a few seconds to measure it.
https://www.loudnesspenalty.com

FWIW!!!

Janice and Bud,
Thanks for listening and for your comments.
Thanks too for the Loudness Penalty info. Wow! I had no idea about this.
I tested Lazy Dayz (2020 mix) on the site and was told it would be reduced in volume between 4db and 6db, depending on the streaming platform.
I have been simply submitting my songs to Soundcloud (the only streaming platform I'm contributing to at the moment), and limiting them to-1db, which is what a lot of the literature says to do.
I'll have to investigate further.
Thanks again guys,
Cheers,
Mike

Mike Garry

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Well done.
I like the song and the mix.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Pretty much all been said, and I agree! Nice mix, great sound, really enjoyed it!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Mike,
New mix sounds very good. I love the way the organ sounds now and the horns were an inspired addition.

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Mike,

This is a very engaging groove. The easy, laid-back walking pace of the rhythm made me feel like I was happily sauntering along a country track on a sunny day.

Very nice listening! The mix sounded fine and the clarity of sound was excellent.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I've missed a few recent comments about Lazy Dayz (2020 mix) because I've been on a cruise to beautiful New Zealand.
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Well done.
I like the song and the mix.

Thanks CaptainMoto for having a listen.
Mike
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Mike,
New mix sounds very good. I love the way the organ sounds now and the horns were an inspired addition.
Cheers,
Mike

Robert

Thanks for listening Robert. As always, your comments are much appreciated.
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Mike,

This is a very engaging groove. The easy, laid-back walking pace of the rhythm made me feel like I was happily sauntering along a country track on a sunny day.

Very nice listening! The mix sounded fine and the clarity of sound was excellent.

All the best,
Noel

Thanks Noel for your comments here and on SoundCloud. Your description is exactly what I was trying to achieve.
Cheers,
Mike

Mike Garry

User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Pretty much all been said, and I agree! Nice mix, great sound, really enjoyed it!

Steve

Hi Steve,
Sorry I've taken so long to acknowledge your comments but I've been away on a cruise.
I always appreciate hearing your opinion, but especially re Lazy Dayz (2020 mix), because in this newer version I used the three drum tracks technique you talk about in your "Mixing Tips" post in the "Post your own Tips and Tricks here" forum: https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=162045
Thanks for the tip. I think it works a treat.
Cheers,
Mike

Mike Garry

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Such an easy groove to settle into. Lot's of strut. Band and production are excellent. The changes continually refreshenated the thing. A very sweet listen.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Such an easy groove to settle into. Lot's of strut. Band and production are excellent. The changes continually refreshenated the thing. A very sweet listen.

Hi Tangmo. Thanks for listening. Your comments are appreciated.
Cheers,
Mike

Mike Garry

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
REALLY well done Mike!! Great composition and fantastic mix!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
REALLY well done Mike!! Great composition and fantastic mix!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg. As always, I appreciate hearing your thoughts on my songs.
Cheers,
Mike

Mike Garry

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,584
Posts734,714
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197