Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
This post is for those who DO NOT have any Steinberg Halion, Doric, Cubase or any other Steinberg programs with HALion sound content installed AND who also want a FREE good sounding GM sound set and player: THIS IS a 64-bit VSTi so you will need JBridge (or alternative) to use in Realband or the 32-bit version of BIAB.

If these, or similar instructions of how to get free HALion Sonic SE AND a free HAlion GM sound set to use in HALion Sonic SE then my apologies to whomever previously explained “how to" (starting from having zero Steinberg Halion sound content)

Enough ON TO THE FREE stuff - it is a multi-step process you will need to set up Steinberg account and install the FREE HAlion Sonic SE note it comes with no SOUNDS (yet)

https://www.steinberg.net/en/landing_pages/halion_sonic_se_3/halion_sonic_se_free.html

Then as Bob (aka jaamammal) recently points out in this thread:

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=576766&Searchpage=1&Main=81228&Words=halion+sonic&Search=true#Post576766

https://new.steinberg.net/dorico/se/

Get the FREE Doric SE Notation program but MAINLY because comes with free Halion sounds that include the Steinberg Halion GM soundset. You can now use the standalone Halion Sonic SE with the GM soundset and the few other sounds that came with Doric SE or the 64-bit Halion VSTi (.dll and VST3) with 64-bit BIAB and 64-bit DAWs respectively (or as noted above if you have JBridge - its only $10, you can use with 32-bit Realband)

I just tested this all on a virgin laptop, well virgin with respect to zero Steinberg software installed.

Final note for BIAB use you may have to search for the “Halion Sonic SE.dll” it may not be in your default 64-bit plugins folder(s) (mine ended up in my Cakewalk VSTplugins folder for some reason).

Good Luck
Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 01/23/20 10:37 AM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Great solution for anyone who hasn't already tried Halion as default synth in biab, in my opinion the best sounding synth I have ever got.

When you load halion you do have to go into options then program changes and set it to Gereral midi.

Great workaround Larry.

Last edited by musiclover; 01/24/20 01:03 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My experience is that BIAB remembers the GM setting for Halion Sonic (so you can set it as your default GM synth and forget about it), but RealBand does not (I have to set it every session).

That being said, I like the sounds of Halion Sonic GM set better than many of the others. Since I have three computers, I generally keep two of them set to the TTS-1, rather than the Halion, since I have to move the dongle to use Halion on any of the other computers.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I use it in Biab , my experience is it sometimes stays on GM setting not always.

I have used ..Hardware .. a ketron sd 1000, roland jv 2080, roland sonic cell, and now a new addition roland bk-7 module.

The
Halion sonic se 3 Basic one that I have, gives them all a good run for the money close to any other Gm software I have tried, although not as good as the hardware I compered with above.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
thanks for the heads up halion works great in biab gm mode instruments eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
Off-Topic
L
Expert
Expert
L
I can't get them to send me an email. Strange situation. I have an account etc.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
just a suggestion - check email spam box?

I just set up dummy email and new Steinberg account today - and they are slow today - I still haven't got link with lic code for HS SE (yet) either

EDIT UPDATE

Still waiting for it to show up in my new dummy hotmail account but it did show up in my new dummy gmail account BUT it was routed to the default gmail Promotions folder

Good luck

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 01/26/20 12:27 PM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I went ahead and bought SpectraLayers 6 since it didn't require the dongle, just the software eLicenser. My PC just doesn't do well with dongles, but has no problems with software authorizations.

Sounds good (pun intended), but I'll pass.

ThinkPad i9 32GB RAM 7TB SSD; Win11 Pro; PreSonus Studio 1810c; BiaB 2024 Ultra
Studio One 6 Pro; MuseScore 4; Melodyne 5 Studio; Acoustica Premium 7; Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 4; NI S61 MK3; Focal Shape 65; Beyerdynamic DT 880 & 770
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Just to be clear there is no dongle needed with Sonic or Halion - they do use a software elicenser however.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Great tip, but don't try this on a mac, it won't work.

iMac M1 24" 16GB/1TB/ Ventura 13.2
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
One persistent issue with Halion that I was not able to solve, is use it in two programs simultaneously. Even if it is not opened.
Meaning... If I have Cakewalk opened (which access Stainberg elicenser on start) and try to open BIAB...BIAB would cough and give error or shut down. Or if I have BIAB opened with Sonic as default synth and try to open Cakewalk, Cakewalk would freeze or spit our POS error.

I wrote to Steinberg explaining this, they issued me a second license for the e licenser, but that didn't solve it. Contacted them today, will see what they say.

I wonder if it is a machine "specific" issue? Have anybody here with Sonic had what I described above?

Off-Topic
Expert
Online Embarrased
Expert
I played Halion Sonic 3 simultaneously in Reaper, Biab, and Studio one. It works well.

Biab Audiophile 2024 11.11, Win11
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Svenne

A revised thread from almost two years ago. Could you add a little to your experience, why it doesn't work? This can help to resolve for future versions if needed.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
MoultiPass,
I have a PC...If you do too, can you verify two things for me please!

Open BIAB and launch Sonic VST and open a standalone Sonic 3 from desktop. If you are able to do so, what is the version (built) of your Sonic 3?

This is a single negative issue I have with Sonic, as I constantly have to be aware if it is loaded or not, as two instances in different programs ran simultaneously usually crash or freeze a program which is opened second/last.

Off-Topic
Expert
Online Embarrased
Expert
On PC too. Never had your problem.
2 Sonic at the same time 1 in Biab and 1 by Nanohost. But I could also have others at the same time: Reaper, Live, Studio one ....

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Sans titre.png (344.89 KB, 146 downloads)
Capture d’écran 2021-12-21 133659.png (55.74 KB, 146 downloads)

Biab Audiophile 2024 11.11, Win11
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
MoultiPass,
Thank you for checking!

Wow, this is very strange. Got the same version.
Not sure why you used Nanohost... Sonic 3 has its own standalone version, but I did try it your way, using Nanohost. Same issue, would not open in two locations.

MoultiPass, final question please. What is the version of your e-licenser? Mine is 6.12.8.2300
I assume you use e-licenser, not USB dongle, right?

Thank you in advance!!

P.S. I got more help here than from official Steinberg rep or their dedicated Halion forum. LOL!

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
sonicbiab.jpg (63.46 KB, 139 downloads)
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I don’t have this software, but is there any executable that you could Run as Administrator? If so, could that explain the different results?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Originally Posted By: Svenne

A revised thread from almost two years ago. Could you add a little to your experience, why it doesn't work? This can help to resolve for future versions if needed.

I Installed Halion Sonic+Dorico (both free). Halion's AU+VST's weren't regonized by BIAB, Logic or any other DAW (non-Steinberg) on my system.

Last edited by Svenne; 12/21/21 04:20 AM.

iMac M1 24" 16GB/1TB/ Ventura 13.2
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Matt,
Brilliant, It worked! I always run BIAB as administrator., but Cakewalk and standalone were not set to run as admin.
Thank you!!!
Side note... Sonic is the only plugin I have that would not allow two instances without admin rights.
--------

Svenne,
you installed e-licenser and registered Sonic in it right?

Off-Topic
Expert
Online Embarrased
Expert
Good News !

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,501
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195