Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#578501 01/29/20 05:35 PM
Beginners Forum
E
OP Offline
E
Hi all! Looking for recommendations for setting up a basic studio. I've wanted BIAB for years and am finally getting it. I'm awaiting the arrival of a new PC, and when I've set that up, will download BIAB 2020. I am a singer/songwriter/guitarist, and would like to know what else I need in terms of recording equipment. I know the sky is the limit, but starting with the basics:

- a vocal mic. Don't have the cash for a Neumann. Thinking of a USB mic. This has pretty great reviews, eh? Other suggestions? https://www.amazon.com/Microphone-Condenser-Recording-Streaming-669B/dp/B06XCKGLTP/ref=sr_1_4?crid=YGL5UB9T4DO4&keywords=usb%2Bmicrophone&qid=1580188941&s=musical-instruments&sprefix=usb%2Bmicrophone%2Caps%2C151&sr=1-4&th=1

- USB guitar cable...There are a bunch out there, anyone recommend one that will work with Windows 10?

Ten years ago I did an instrumental CD with ProTools and Reason. It was great but am wondering if I really need a DAW for a singer/songwriter project?

I have an Edirol 88-key controller; would that work with BIAB straightaway or do I still need software like Reason for it?

Regarding pitch correction, does Melodyne 4 (Essential) work with BIAB or is it an external program one uses and then imports the audio file back into BIAB?

Any other tools or equipment one should start out with? Thanks in advance for your help!

Beginners Forum
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Included with BiaB is Realband. While it is certainly not Protools, it is a very decent DAW program that will cover any area that BiaB doesn’t. Together they make a good team. Use those and hey if you need more then worry about that then.

I use a USB interface into my computer and a set of monitor speakers, a nice set of headphones and a decent vocal mike.

Melodyne does not work seemlessly with BiaB. But you can open tracks in it and process them with them.

This is my wee studio a Presonus interface, a vocal processor/harmonizer, a set of m-Audio monitors, a small midi keyboard controller, an app on my iPad that controllers the mixer in Presonus studio one (DAW).

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Last edited by Rob Helms; 01/29/20 06:09 PM.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Beginners Forum
E
OP Offline
E
Thanks, Rob. I see you have both Melodyne and TC Helicon. Do you use the latter more for harmonies and the former for pitch correction? Which is your vocal mic?

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
From my perspective the most important thing is a really good audio interface. I would recommend a USB Audio Interface. This will make all the difference as far as recording voice, guitar or any other instrument is concerned. It will also assist in providing a good sound out of your system as it will then be possible to use any reasonable powered speakers. There are many really good audio interfaces including but not limited to Presonus and Focusrite they are not all that expensive.

I recommend an audio interface with at least two separate inputs that way it will be possible to record guitar and voice into separate tracks at the same time (this sometimes helps get songs in the timing you were hoping for.). If you are thinking of a condenser type mic then also ensure you have a 48v Phantom Power available. Most reasonable USB Audio Interfaces provide 48v power for mics.

Not that all here will agree but I really believe a good DAW is also a good tool and can be available at very low cost. For example, Cakewalk by BandLab is free if you have a 64bit Windows PC. Or Reaper for $60. These products are designed for home recording and from my perspective more intuitive than some DAWs others might prefer.

Another really important is the BIAB don’t skimp on that. Go in and get all the RealTracks you can afford (UltraPak at least) that way you won’t be limited but will be amazed.

These are my thoughts

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 01/29/20 11:49 PM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Beginners Forum
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Eireguitar, I use Melodyne for a lot of things. Pitch correction, smoothing our lead tracks, note alteration. I haven’t used the TC helicon unit in a while I used to use it with Real Band to play live music. Setting up a midi track to control when it came on, and what parameters it used. Sometimes I use it for a backing vocal, other times I sing the back ground myself them process it with numerous different plugins.

As far as mikes I have a shure 58 and a couple other dynamic mikes, plus an Audio Technica AT 2020 condenser mike. I have collected these through the years.

There is so much truth to what Tony said above regarding an audio interface. It literally with be the heart of your studio. As far as DAWs the only reason I suggest waiting is that until you tap out RB which will natively open any Band in a Box files and allow adding vocals and personally played tracks. It also allows chopping up and adding things sometimes better than bigger names DAWs. For instance no other DAW can add a RT as fast as RB. Does. Sure with the new plugin you can do that but not with the options in Realband.

I will say Tony is right in that other DAWs have some cool features and sometimes RB can fight back a bit, but it is more capable that some give it credit for. I find that it seems to do things a little different from other DAWs, some food some bad. But overall it can do a great job.

Either Cakewalk or Reaper will be solid for you. I would prefer cakewalk, but that’s just me. I always found Reaper to scattered for me. I had to set everything up, add this, route that. I spent a lot of time setting it up each time. Yet that is the very thing those who use it love. (Don’t need a lecture on templates) Cakewalk for free is a great deal. If I couldn’t use Studio one by Presonus I would use cakewalk by Bandlab.

Last edited by Rob Helms; 01/30/20 02:54 AM.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Beginners Forum
E
OP Offline
E
Thank you Rob and Tony. Regarding audio interfaces, I have the original mBox from years past that I used with ProTools on a Mac. Is that what you're talking about? Would it still work for this purpose on a PC?

I had no idea CakeWalk is free. I assume I'll just spend a fair bit of time playing around with BIAB first, but this is great to know. Cheers!

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
With just a quick look it would seem the mBox would be fine as an audio interface.

Yep, play with BIAB and do not be afraid to experiment. Mix and match styles to get the sounds you want. BIAB is a really great tool but that is what it is. Used correctly it will enhance your creativity, but the creativity itself must be yours.

My thoughts

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, Cakewalk which was SONAR is, incredibly, now free. Lots of us here use it. Many here use Reaper, so either is a good choice, as is learning RealBand. You will likely decide to work with Melodyne in a good DAW.

The M-Box was a very nice compact interface. Without checking, my concern would be if it is still supported by drivers for the latest versions of Windows or Mac.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
eireguitar,

Like the others have stated, welcome to the forum and to Band-in-a-Box. I look forward to seeing links to your music on the forum's +++ User Showcase +++ very soon.

As mentioned above the DAW formally known as Sonar was purchased from Gibson and is now known as Cakewalk by BandLab or CbB for short.

Cakewalk by BandLab is available as a free download +++ HERE +++ . The installation process is pretty simple: (1) use an email address to create a free account with BandLab. (2) Download and install BandLab Assistant. BandLab Assistant is a download manager. (3) Run BandLab Assistant and provide your email address and passcode to BandLab Assistant. (4) Select the "Apps" tab in BandLab Assistant. (5) Select the "Install" button at the bottom of the Cakewalk box.

Note that it will appear nothing happens but CbB is downloading in the background. It can take 45 minutes to 1 hour for the initial download. The first download is VERY slow. If you abort the download does not resume where you left off. I found it best just to press the install button and turn around and walk away from the computer because any activity will slow the download process.

Once the program files are downloaded the install process is quick. There is also a progress bar for the install process. Once the program is installed the install button changes to an open button. However, BandLab Assistant does not need to run to open CbB. The installation process also installs a desktop shortcut

If you desire CbB can run offline for six months. BandLab Assistant does not have to always run. However you will have to open BandLab Assistant so it can provide Cakewalk by BandLab with another six month authorization.

The BandLab Assistant Cakewalk by BandLab button also opens a window to select "add-ons". Add-ons include the TTS-1 multi-timbrel DXI soft synth, Studio Instruments VSTi Suite of strings, electric piano, electric bass and drums, Drum Replacer, Theme Editor (GUI editor) and trial version of Melodyne Essentials.

The program requires 64 bit Windows 8, 8.1 or 10. It still works with 7 but 7 is no longer supported.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Rob Helms, you forgot to mention the glowy pink Himalayan salt lamp. Basic essential for every wee studio. grin

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Salt lamp?!
We got a lava lamp, still works and I ain't 'upgrading'

/old school
// it gets turned on more often than the minimoog

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Beginners Forum
E
OP Offline
E
Bought a salt lamp from Walmart for $14.99. I'm all set, although I can't find the driver...

:-D

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eireguitar
Bought a salt lamp from Walmart for $14.99. I'm all set, although I can't find the driver...

:-D

I am the sole distributor of salt lamp drivers for both MACs and PCs. If you are interested the drivers are only $29.99 this week. After this week they will return to their regular price of $49.99. But wait, if you order now I will send you another salt lamp free, just pay handling and shipping charges.

Also note that I sell plug and play lava lamps for only $21.99.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Ducking and running for cover.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Also note that I sell plug and play lava lamps for only $21.99.

If I buy one from you will it show up in my RB mobile app?
My current lava lamp does not.
Should be easy to add if it's plug-n-play .. right?
/ducking and running in opposite direction

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture+_2020-02-03-19-08-48.png (83.01 KB, 112 downloads)

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eireguitar
Hi all! Looking for recommendations for setting up a basic studio. I've wanted BIAB for years and am finally getting it. I'm awaiting the arrival of a new PC, and when I've set that up, will download BIAB 2020. I am a singer/songwriter/guitarist, and would like to know what else I need in terms of recording equipment. I know the sky is the limit, but starting with the basics:

- a vocal mic. Don't have the cash for a Neumann. Thinking of a USB mic. This has pretty great reviews, eh? Other suggestions? https://www.amazon.com/Microphone-Condenser-Recording-Streaming-669B/dp/B06XCKGLTP/ref=sr_1_4?crid=YGL5UB9T4DO4&keywords=usb%2Bmicrophone&qid=1580188941&s=musical-instruments&sprefix=usb%2Bmicrophone%2Caps%2C151&sr=1-4&th=1

- USB guitar cable...There are a bunch out there, anyone recommend one that will work with Windows 10?

Ten years ago I did an instrumental CD with ProTools and Reason. It was great but am wondering if I really need a DAW for a singer/songwriter project?

I have an Edirol 88-key controller; would that work with BIAB straightaway or do I still need software like Reason for it?

Regarding pitch correction, does Melodyne 4 (Essential) work with BIAB or is it an external program one uses and then imports the audio file back into BIAB?

Any other tools or equipment one should start out with? Thanks in advance for your help!

Vocal USB mic and USB guitar cable..... just say NO. Instead, purchase a decent USB connected musical interface such as Focusrite or Presonus, or any of a dozen other rigs on the market. They give you audio inputs with phantom power. Avoid the wiz-bang models that are interface and something else in one.... they can be problematic. Don't use the sound card in the computer for music recording. Just don't. Buy an interface.

Purchase a straight up old fashioned condenser mic. Those can be had for a decent price. I've heard some really nice mics for under $100. USB mics have a purpose but it's not really designed to do music recording. A USB mic shows up as a second sound card and syncing the clocks with the computer/interface can be a challenge.

For guitar, I recommend a guitar processor such as the Line6 POD or whatever else you fancy. Plug straight into the processor and plug it straight into the interface audio in. Even a line out or a simple mic on the speaker of the amp. I use the mic on the amp quite a bit.

As far as a good DAW.... Cakewalk sonar is FREE now from Bandlab. It's the top of the line flagship DAW that used to cost hundreds of dollars.... and it's free.

Your midi can be input via USB or a USB cable without any issue. I have a $20 USB midi cable from 5 pin din to usb that works well.

Pitch correction: Yep Melodyne is the way to go but..... I recommend using it in a DAW like Sonar and not BB. It will probably work fine in Real Band as well.

Other equipment: I like a dedicated computer that's off the internet. I hear people complaining about the newest W-10 upgrade screwing up DAW settings all the time. So, park it off line and set it to manual upgrades not automatic so when it does see the net it won't automatically upgrade and wipe your settings.
Also, some decent studio monitors are essential. Mixing well depends on you hearing well. If you can't hear it, you can't mix it.

Bottom line: Buy and use good equipment. You will never regret buying good gear.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 02/04/20 05:10 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
I'll agree with Guitarhacker on a few things.
Get a dedicated audio interface and a condenser mic. Not a USB microphone.
But, I use an audio interface that also has 5 pin midi in and out. This lets me easily connect some midi equipment without sacrifice another USB port on my laptop.
There are decent large diaphragm condenser mics in the $100 range. Can't think of them right now though.
There are a lot of decent amp emulators like Line 6 Pod, Zoom G series and many others. Many for very decent prices. I saw a used Line 6 Pod 2.0 on craigslist for $50 recently. I had one of these years ago and even back then it was quite decent. Plus you can record an electric guitar dry/direct into an interface and use software amp emulation. Many decent ones are free to at least get you started.
I tend to use a mic in front of an combo amp myself. But, I usually know what sound I'm going for, I have a few amps and several different styles on guitars to achieve that. I do record a dry (or minimally compressed) signal at the same time just in case but I rarely end up using the dry tracks. That's just me.
The free Cakewalk by Bandlab is fantastic. I use the SI Instruments that come with it quite often but I use them inside of Reaper.
Reaper is free for trial but paying the $60 for it is a vert kind thing to do and also means you are a stellar citizen.
Reaper comes with many great plugins.
For pitch correction I have used Reapers' included free ReaPitch or Reatune, and the free MAutoPitch from MeldaProduction to decent results but I start with vocalist that rarely require much correction if any at all. More often I use it on background vocals or on a single track vocal that I am going to use to create Helicon harmonies off of.
Helicon harmony creator gadget came included with BIAB / PowerTrack package I purchased several years ago.
I unplug/disconnect from internet with using DAW and I installed GWX Contol Panel gadget that prevents my Windows 8.1 from updating to Windows 10. W10 is probably advanced enough since it first came out that it might not be a problem but I see no reason to change from W8.1 unless I don't know what I'm missing.
Monitors can get expensive. To get going and have fun I started out with a 3 piece set, subwoofer and 2 desk top speakers by Acoustic Authority I found on sale for $40 at Staples years ago. Still connected to my DAW and still working fine. Now I have several other monitor set ups in the same room.
Lava lamps and salt lamps are not all that necessary but apparently some swear by them.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
Beginners Forum
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Salt lamps are the snizzle! Sadly mine needs either a new bulb or a touch of Himalayan pepper. Use to taste!

Aah Tobias, 8.1 really come on bud that thing was a dog for me, 10 rocks. Now I really miss 3.1

All seriousness aside, good suggestions from Toebyas and geeeeetarwacker! Deem fellas know what’s up!

Last edited by Rob Helms; 02/06/20 04:25 AM.

Beginners Forum
E
OP Offline
E
Hi all! Thanks again for your suggestions for my wee studio. Finally have some (er, heaps of) time to get this going. The jury is out on whether my original mBox will be a good enough audio interface, as drivers are no longer being made for it. So I'm guessing not. If that's the case, currently deciding between a Presonus Studio 24c and a Focusrite 2i2. Both the same price and look basically the same. Looks like more people here have the Presonus? Any benefit in the "air" button on the Focusrite?

Also want to say I have an old Edirol PCR-M80 controller. I had used Reason with it years ago; what programs are available now that bring it to life and work with Cakewalk? Can it work directly with either Cakewalk or BIAB?

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
That controller should work with any DAW, long as you have a softsynth to generate the sound.
Also, many of us here use Focusrite as well.
Either interface should be fine if you have USB2 or 3.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195